Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Man Musk
Jan 13, 2010

Tropical rainforest is the most peaceful + relaxing biome

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

Man Musk posted:

Tropical rainforest is the most peaceful + relaxing biome

Until every single colonist has 3 different diseases.

Aleth
Aug 2, 2008

Pillbug
Yes but once they're all dead it's peaceful again.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

SoapyTarantula posted:

That hospitality mod is nice, but sometimes its also pretty :wtc:

In my most recent game people kept giving me human leather and cocaine.
Can I force prisoners to take drugs?

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Croccers posted:

In my most recent game people kept giving me human leather and cocaine.
Can I force prisoners to take drugs?

Probably if you stockpile them in their room and forbid the door so they can't be fed.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

SoapyTarantula posted:

That hospitality mod is nice, but sometimes its also pretty :wtc:

They just leave you whatever they happen to be carrying/stole from your storehouses (seriously, watch your guests, they pick up stuff laying on the ground/eat your food)

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

You know whatd be really cool? Making drugs and selling them to tribals. The tribals get hooked and have to rely on your settlement for their fix.

Id think itd jusr be cool if your settlements could be known for selling stuff so that trade caravans come through regulary instead of randomly

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Then of course the Tribals get sick of your rates and decided to take the yayo by force.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

It would definitely be nice if he fleshed out the "other factions" portion of the game more. It was fine when the game was equally basic, but it is starting to stand out.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.

Hihohe posted:

You know whatd be really cool? Making drugs and selling them to tribals. The tribals get hooked and have to rely on your settlement for their fix.

Id think itd jusr be cool if your settlements could be known for selling stuff so that trade caravans come through regulary instead of randomly

Who wants to play a DEA simulator?

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
Wasn't that the entire point of the video game N.A.R.C.?

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Azhais posted:

They just leave you whatever they happen to be carrying/stole from your storehouses (seriously, watch your guests, they pick up stuff laying on the ground/eat your food)

Yeah this is really annoying. Who said you could help yourself to my fine meals :mad:

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

That is my one issue with Hospitality. Sure, I will build beds for you so you can rest. But that doesn't mean you can raid my food when I have low food. I need to feed my own people, I don't want to feed you visitors too.

Captain Ironblood
Nov 9, 2009
It's the worst when you buy a bunch of meals/drugs from the visitors because your colony is starving to death and they promptly sit down at your dining room table and eat them in front of you.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

IAmTheRad posted:

That is my one issue with Hospitality. Sure, I will build beds for you so you can rest. But that doesn't mean you can raid my food when I have low food. I need to feed my own people, I don't want to feed you visitors too.

You can always kill or arrest them.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

IAmTheRad posted:

Get the Trading spot mod, because what that does is force traders to go to that spot instead of just wandering through all your poo poo.

Man Musk
Jan 13, 2010

Khisanth Magus posted:

Until every single colonist has 3 different diseases.

Close your eyes and you can almost hear the sound of rainfall beating against the Reflection Hut

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

With a smokeleaf stockpile can I hotbox a raid? Asking for a friend.

Failing that are there any other ways to increase the ratio of 'downed' vs. 'ripped apart by a hail of turret fire and assault rounds'?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

IAmTheRad posted:

Well, once you get a really nice guest area it becomes worthwhile. I've had visitors leave like 90+ medicines already. It's like the lottery, and fine meals are the tickets

dZPnJOm8QwUAseApNj
Apr 15, 2002

arf bark woof

Xand_Man posted:

With a smokeleaf stockpile can I hotbox a raid? Asking for a friend.

Failing that are there any other ways to increase the ratio of 'downed' vs. 'ripped apart by a hail of turret fire and assault rounds'?

This is really the only reason to go melee, other than early game desperation. Arm your colonists with steel or plasteel maces, which you can smith yourself, and as much armour as possible, and send them off to beat down raiders. You'll still kill some, but this is more reliable than anything else I've tried.

I have had luck with a kind of cavalry variation of this, by having a few high melee guys (ideally with some movement perks, like jogger) given bionic legs and positioned in a way so that, as soon as the kill box forces a retreat, they can sally forth and knock out the raiders as they run away.

There was at least one mod that had a kind of a stun gun or stun baton weapon as well, which makes a lot of sense.

Captain Ironblood
Nov 9, 2009
I used the mod with the stun gun and baton in A14 but I think I accidentally temporarily paralyzed more of my colonists with the gun more than captured anyone notable.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
So I got pretty far with my colony before realizing I ran out of components too soon, and I can't build a multi-analyzer for researching the component creation tech because I have no gold and poo poo. Do I have to restart, or should I wait until a trader shows up? (none have come since game start, so I doubt it's a feasible solution)

Disgusting Coward
Feb 17, 2014
Break some stuff that's non-essential down?

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
How much of the map have you mined out? You could try tunneling into mountains to find resources. Otherwise yeah you have to hope for traders. If you can get a comm station and some silver you can purchase a trader visit from a faction.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD
Strip mining, building stuff like art and clothes for components from traders and killing mechanoids were my go-tos.

NatasDog
Feb 9, 2009
TBH the hospitality mod or the one that increases trader visit frequency are pretty much must-have mods. The default is just maddeningly infrequent on any difficulty level. Just try to keep a decent surplus of everything so when someone comes by with components you're not crippling yourself just to get them.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

I might be insane, but doesn't the recent build (the one with the mining drill) allow you to call in traders in exchange for silver?

pray for my aunt
Feb 13, 2012

14980c8b8a96fd9e279796a61cf82c9c
You can call for them with silver, you can raise relations with silver, and if you ever need silver you just sell plasteel mined with the deep mining drills.

NatasDog
Feb 9, 2009

DreamShipWrecked posted:

I might be insane, but doesn't the recent build (the one with the mining drill) allow you to call in traders in exchange for silver?

That's good to know. I've been playing with Medieval on a15 exclusively, so I can't call anyone even if I had the silver to. I've been waiting for the rest of the QoL mods to update before I dive into a non-Medieval run, but maybe I'll give it a shot once my latest colony suffers its inevitable demise.

Also, I'm playing in non-baby mode now where winter actually comes, and it's really changed my approach toward farming. On a map with a year round growing season you can just leave poo poo to rot in the fields if you have a surplus. Now I find myself fiddling with colonist priorities a lot more, when each harvest comes in I'm setting hauling to high priority for everyone but cooks, so I can get my food under a roof somewhere before it goes completely to waste. Same with other craft/trade goods like smokeleaf, cloth, hops, etc.

Setting almost everyone to plant in the spring until all my fields are set is another big deal, because the window for growing on my current map is 11th of Spring to the 1st of Winter. Anytime before or after that and there's a good chance a random cold snap or just the normal temperature fluctuations will make my crops go fallow.

Chickens are another big thing if you manage to get them. Once temperatures hit freezing the little guys get frostbite and lose their legs, making them immovable time sinks for your colonists to keep running over to feed unless you just slaughter them. Lost my entire chicken farm the first winter before I set up a barn area on top of a steam vent nearby to keep them warm in the winter. Other species are far hardier, but once again on a map with seasons, you have to make sure you're getting a poo poo ton of hay stockpile before winter, or you'll end up slaughtering most of your stock before winter ends just to turn them into kibble for your other starving animals to eat. It's kind of sad feeding your surviving animals the remnants of their relatives mixed with some corn/rice.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

There is something morbidly hilarious about mass groups of legless chickens.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I love this game, but I am terrible at it. Have had it for a good long time, too. I never play anything that isn't year round / mountainous. How do you even set up a base if you can't use mountains as walls? Wall the whole thing in and have no natural chokepoints / kill zones? Ugh.

Sunblood
Mar 12, 2006

I'm a freakin' blur here!
I need to make myself some sort of new-colony checklist. I'm mostly getting the hang of things but I always end up forgetting one major aspect. Like I'll get bedrooms, medical bed, prison, storage, power, a/c, benches, bills, etc all set up - then an hour later when all my colonists are starving or dying, I realize that I never planted any potatoes or healroot.

NatasDog
Feb 9, 2009

Internet Explorer posted:

I love this game, but I am terrible at it. Have had it for a good long time, too. I never play anything that isn't year round / mountainous. How do you even set up a base if you can't use mountains as walls? Wall the whole thing in and have no natural chokepoints / kill zones? Ugh.
Playing without a year round growing season is a big eye opener for sure. I tend to go with mountainous though, as you do. The availability of stone/steel/components is just abysmal without them; though with mining drills I might try a more barren terrain.

You can make kill zones without natural chokepoints, just takes a lot of resources to make them useful. I've gotten to using Embrasures, so I just set my doorways back a bit and make the walls in a V formation like so:
code:
EW.....WE
.E.....E.
.WEW.WEW.
...E.E...
...WDW...
W=Wall
E=Embrasure
D=Door
.=Open Ground

Without embrasures I'm sure you can do similar with sandbags or whatever, but your walls are going to be porous, which is kind of dumb even is that is Tynan's 'vision' for how people would defend themselves.

Sunblood posted:

I need to make myself some sort of new-colony checklist. I'm mostly getting the hang of things but I always end up forgetting one major aspect. Like I'll get bedrooms, medical bed, prison, storage, power, a/c, benches, bills, etc all set up - then an hour later when all my colonists are starving or dying, I realize that I never planted any potatoes or healroot.
I was thinking the same thing last night, after forgetting to set up schedules and assign my colonists to fight for the 1,000th time. Getting things built in the proper order to actually survive is easy enough for me, but the drat sub-menus for everything is a tedious mess that should either store your previous preferences, or allow you to set defaults. At least colony manager allows you to import/export your crafting, hunting, animal husbandry, and wood cutting preferences; and setting someone to be a full time manager/researcher with the crafting stations right next to each other isn't that bad, all things considered.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Does the vitals monitor work with a regular bed assigned as medical, or do they only work with the hospital bed?

edit: oh apparently glitterworld medicine is different from regular medicine

Away all Goats fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Sep 7, 2016

Pumpkinreaper
Jan 19, 2010

DreamShipWrecked posted:

There is something morbidly hilarious about mass groups of legless chickens.

It seems like that's the only part chickens have in this. Every time a chicken has been injured in my current game (and trust me, I have gone through a few hundred chickens in it) and every time it's their legs or body, with their legs usually flying off from a sneeze.

If I didn't have to rely on letting them graze in the fields indiscriminately, I'd actually keep the legless hens around, but it's too much time and food.

In other news, I learned that hunting with a minigun tends to generate a lot of dead chickens...or anything really when you have a lot of chickens to begin with. Any time a thunderstorm, bzzt event or any fire is started, one is most likely going to die. The fact that I still have a hundred strong despite this and raids killing tens of them is a testament to how quickly they reproduce.

Next game I'm going to do this, except with cobras.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Aleth
Aug 2, 2008

Pillbug
Why are you burying all that meat and leather?

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

I feel at some point, enemies just shouldn't gently caress with you

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

When the enemies see a massive graveyard like that, they should just turn around and go back to their base. It isn't going to go well for them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
There really should be a negative mood modifier for enemies seeing corpses/graves in your front yard. It would make sense for them to nope the gently caress out if you already have 300 of their buddies' skeletons surrounding your compound.