Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which Thread Title shall we name this new thread?
This poll is closed.
Independence Day 2: Resturgeonce 44 21.36%
ScotPol - Unclustering this gently caress 19 9.22%
Trainspotting 2: Independence is my heroin 9 4.37%
Indyref II: Boris hosed a Dead Country 14 6.80%
ScotPol: Wings over Bullshit 8 3.88%
Independence 2: Cameron Lied, UK Died 24 11.65%
Scotpol IV: I Vow To Flee My Country 14 6.80%
ScotPol - A twice in a generation thread 17 8.25%
ScotPol - Where Everything's hosed Up and the Referendums Don't Matter 15 7.28%
ScotPol Thread: Dependence Referendum Incoming 2 0.97%
Indyref II: The Scottish Insturgeoncy 10 4.85%
ScotPol Thread: Act of European Union 5 2.43%
ScotPol - Like Game of Thrones only we wish we would all die 25 12.14%
Total: 206 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Hoops posted:

Lol

I didn't know this thread was here, can someone catch me up on how terrible it is?

I do *not* live in Scotland currently.

Somebody keeps posting newspaper front pages and every now and then the tortured process of arranging a goon meet at a board game cafe begins.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

A Black Mark For Retarded Posting
There's websites where you can all put in your availability and it gives suggested times.

https://www.doodle.com is one

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH

Hoops posted:

Lol

I didn't know this thread was here, can someone catch me up on how terrible it is?

I'm assuming you know who pissflaps and coohoolin are. Yeah that's about it.

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

Hoops posted:

Lol

It's unreadable now because someone posts a 100 front page images and a single comment, then someone quotes them with "I agree"

Which makes a change from it being unreadable due to my posting so ......

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

jre posted:

It's unreadable now because someone posts a 100 front page images and a single comment, then someone quotes them with "I agree"

Which makes a change from it being unreadable due to my posting so ......

Ach, well if it's unreadable I'll stop; it's just to pass the time on my morning commute.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Niric posted:

Ach, well if it's unreadable I'll stop; it's just to pass the time on my morning commute.

It's really not unreadable, only 2 people complain about it & one of those is Pissflaps.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
I don't post much, but I appreciate the roundup because I'm extremely lazy and I haven't bought any of these papers in years.

Also I'm moving to Edinburgh in October so I'd be interested in talking to goons around a sticky boardgame table in a 'tavern' full of gross turbonerds. Bruntsfield will be my neighbourhood and it seems easy to get around from there.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Niric posted:

I disagree on this point of it being unwise or will reflect badly. I think sturgeon is intentionally doing vague substance-less grandstanding. She's quite aware it will have no effect, and is probably happier that way because it means not having to do anything while giving the appearance of doing something. It's meaningless, but it does have a tangible benefit for Sturgeon and the SNP; she's presenting herself as the de facto president of Scotland, suggesting that she and the Scottish Parliament should have a role in foreign affairs.
The implication is that the first minister should and in fact is doing all the talking for Scotland on all issues - not Scottish MPs at Westminster, which helps to define Scotland as a distinct political unit

So you don't see Sturgeon walking back on her party's pledges to get a seat at the big boy's table as a problem? I wasn't invoking Clegg as the boogeyman here - Sturgeon is doing exactly the same thing.

On the subject of the SNP in Westminster, Ian "Evil oval office" Blackford was selected to open the debate on the EU referendum petition. Predictably enough he was utterly destroyed.

Kwasi Kwarteng posted:

As I understand the position, in the past two years the hon. Gentleman has taken part in two referendums and lost both of them. As a consequence, I imagine he wants to rerun both. Which comes first?

Blackford's only real defence to this was that the Brexit campaign had no more plan than a complete fiction written on the side of a bus, while the SNP had 650 pages of fiction. Shortly after he was deposed because he couldn't stick to the topic.

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

Jedit posted:

So you don't see Sturgeon walking back on her party's pledges to get a seat at the big boy's table as a problem? I wasn't invoking Clegg as the boogeyman here - Sturgeon is doing exactly the same thing.

Morally? Sure, I think it's pretty hypothetical - and I don't agree with the SNP acting like Scottish MPs aren't a thing. It's the standard we don't have a voice complaint being cranked up to 11 because, er, Scotland is more represented than other groups of 5 million people in the UK.

But electorally? I just don't see this as comparable to Clegg, who largely took the rap from disappointed wooly liberals/soft left types/students who were justifiably angered at how extreme the coalition were, especially on austerity. There's not that sense of betrayal going on here, and I just can't see who is going to turn against sturgeon because of it beyond, possibly, a tiny handful of super hardcore nationalists/very lefty types, who would probably vote SSP or similar anyway

quote:

Scotland's papers: Indyref2 plans and teacher tragedy

Many of today's Scottish front pages focus on First Minister Nicola Sturgeon's programme for government, which she unveiled on Tuesday.

The Scotsman reports Ms Sturgeon has offered a £500m "Brexit lifeline" to businesses in Scotland.

The Herald says the first minister hasmoved closer to calling a new independence referendum by laying the foundations for a repeat vote.

Ms Sturgeon is positioning the Scottish government to call a "snap vote" when the country is ready, according to The Times Scotland.

The Scottish Daily Express urges the first minister to "rule out" a new vote on independence, saying it's the only way to fix the economy.

The National says "Scotland will be ready", as Ms Sturgeon announces the draft bill to hold a second independence referendum.

The Scotland edition of the i newspaperreports on the first minister's offer to small businesses struggling to get investment.

A "revolutionary" new blood test that can detect cancer years before full-blown symptoms has been unveiled by scientists, reports The Scottish Daily Mail.

The Scottish Sun has a story about the science teacher from Edinburgh who died hours after breaking her leg in a freak classroom fall.

The Daily Record says "heroin baron" Terry Scott was moved to Scotland's "softest prison" after just over a year of a six-year sentence for drug dealing.

Strictly Come Dancing bosses are in a spin after a video of contestant Daisy Loweperforming a striptease emerged, according to the Daily Star.

The Press and Journal says north-east fisherman fear a coastal protection zone could be used as a "weapon" against them.

And The Courier reports that a woman has appeared in court charged with the murder of Dundee mother Marie Low.

Niric fucked around with this message at 08:53 on Sep 7, 2016

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Niric posted:

I'm mostly lurking the thread but I'd appreciate it if you'd put the front pages in [timg] tags as it's a lot to scroll through if my browser doesn't jump correctly to unread posts.

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:
It's better when they're not done through Twitter as well.

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

Reveilled posted:

I'm mostly lurking the thread but I'd appreciate it if you'd put the front pages in [timg] tags as it's a lot to scroll through if my browser doesn't jump correctly to unread posts.

No probs, since I'm doing it on the app I kinda forget about sizes!

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

Scotland's papers: Student squeeze and police attack

quote:

The Herald says university principals have that warned middle-class students will besqueezed out of universities under plans to boost the number of poorer undergraduates.

The Scotsman reports that Nicola Sturgeon has insisted Scotland will not be"window dressing in a talking shop" when it comes to Brexit negotiations.

The Times Scotland has a story about MPs moving out of Westminster for six years as part of a £4bn restoration plan.

Two police officers attacked by a man on a Glasgow street were filmed by a "jeering mob", reports the Scottish Daily Mail.

The Scottish Daily Express says Britain's property market will enjoy a "Brexit boost"after the UK's vote to leave the EU.

Nicola Sturgeon has warned Theresa May she lacks the mandate to take Scotland out of the single market, reports The National.

The Daily Record leads with the story of a dog owner jailed after ordering her Staffordshire bull terrier to attack another woman, leaving her seriously injured.

The Scottish Sun says former Scotland striker Kris Boyd's family is in shock after the footballer's brother took his own life.

"Shameless French family of 10 demands UK mansion" is the headline on the front page of the Daily Star of Scotland.

The Press and Journal says police have found new DNA evidence in the Brian McKandie murder hunt.

And The Courier has an exclusive interview with the brother of aid worker David Haines who was killed after being kidnapped in Syria two years ago.

Who is it that publishes the star? The current story seems a bit removed from their usual tits and celebs (preferably both) beat, much more the mail or the express's style of random politicised hatred at poor people or foreigners (preferably both).

hyper from Pixie Sticks
Sep 28, 2004

Niric posted:

Who is it that publishes the star?
Richard Desmond.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Niric posted:

Scotland's papers: Student squeeze and police attack

Who is it that publishes the star? The current story seems a bit removed from their usual tits and celebs (preferably both) beat, much more the mail or the express's style of random politicised hatred at poor people or foreigners (preferably both).

The guy who publishes the Express. And reminder that the Star was really pro-EDL 5 years ago. To an extent which is still shocking.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
The EU have appointed Guy Verhofstad to deal with Brexit. He has a fun perspective on Scotland.

BBC: "Can Scotland stay in the EU without joining a queue to get in?"
GV: "Yeah"

https://amp.twimg.com/v/a9b88577-e4...54-ce32affde399

Bonus cartoon:

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Foreign affairs are reserved powers. Scotland can't join the EU even after the UK leaves.

And apart from that there isn't a 'queue'.

I'm going to assume you're repeating somebody else's misrepresentation of what he said.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

I loving hate fishermen. I never knew this until brexit. Just murder all the birds while you also overfish yourself into joblessness you horrible pricks.

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

Coohoolin posted:

Bonus cartoon:

This would be a lot funnier if it weren't
completely disingenuous
. It's not surprising - or even particularly objectionable - that the SNP want to talk about independence, but pretending that they don't, and that the overriding goal of independence doesn't influence much of their rhetoric and governance, is just deliberately naive.

It's a manifestation of something that I see cropping up a lot; many people, smart, nice people, blindly accepting whatever the SNP say at the current moment at face value, as if they have no experience of political parties. So education is now the sole focus, with no thought of what they were talking about a week ago (see also, "the SNP are the most left wing major party").

Scotland's papers: Dungavel to close and girl to wed school 'janny'

quote:

The Herald leads with the closure of controversial Dungavel Immigration Removal Centre in Lanarkshire, as doesthe Scottish edition of the Times.

The front page of the Scotsman features the delay in bringing in the Named Person scheme.

Paige Doherty's murderer John Leathem is on the front page of the Daily Record. The paper claims to have obtained footage of him with a stripper.

A school janitor is to marry an 18 year old former pupil, according to the Scottish Sun.

The front page of the Scottish Daily Mailleads with the news that one Scottish marketing firm has been fined for making 1.6 million nuisance calls.

The National says that the appointment of former Belgian Prime Minister Guy Vehofstadt as the European Parliament's negotiator in Brexit talks with the UK is a "major boost for Scotland's interests".

The Scottish Daily Express says the British Transport Police think plans to merge the force with Police Scotland are "ludicrous" and "horrific".

Hoax callers are "putting lives at risk", according to the Dundee edition of The Courier .

A story that £40,000 worth of heirlooms have been stolen from the home of an oil executive features on the front page of the Aberdeenshire edition of the Press and Journal.

Glad to see Dungavel close given its awful reputation, but there's no sign that any new facility won't still be run by private prison profiteers GEO group (who feature in the latest private eye), so it seems unlikely much will change. It's annoying that the focus of the story is Dungavel, rather than the company running it so badly.

Alertrelic
Apr 18, 2008

Niric posted:

This would be a lot funnier if it weren't
completely disingenuous
. It's not surprising - or even particularly objectionable - that the SNP want to talk about independence, but pretending that they don't, and that the overriding goal of independence doesn't influence much of their rhetoric and governance, is just deliberately naive.

It's a manifestation of something that I see cropping up a lot; many people, smart, nice people, blindly accepting whatever the SNP say at the current moment at face value, as if they have no experience of political parties. So education is now the sole focus, with no thought of what they were talking about a week ago (see also, "the SNP are the most left wing major party").

This is true to an extent, but pretending that the union isn't a dysfunctional, anachronistic mess and that there aren't legitimate grievances isn't going to defeat Scottish nationalism.

At the end of the day, the SNP will always support independence. If you believe everything they say and do is part of a great masterplan to deliver it then you cannot credibly call on them to "get on with the day job", because you already believe they are intrinsically incapable of doing so (the electorate disagrees, of course). It's doubly disingenuous when the context of the "day job" has been completely changed by a reckless and incompetent UK Government.

The decision to hold a referendum has done a huge amount of damage to our economy and the Scottish Conservatives are desperate for anything to distract from this embarrassing reality. Indyref2 is a useful scapegoat. Talking about independence is also a good way to drive a wedge between the SNP and more conservative voters who might support them. This was borne out by their decline in vote share across these constituencies recently.

It's also worth noting that the last thing unionists want is for the constitutional debate to become softer, nicer and more honest, particularly now we are heading for Brexit. Either debate is shut down completely by the 2014 result, or we have loud and divisive arguments (usually based on how loud and divisive everything is) to drive people away and maintain the consensus of 2014. It's a fighting retreat, consistent with previous tactics.

Meanwhile, the Lib Dems and Labour want to pretend that we live in an alternate reality where Scotland can maintain access to both unions, this is also unhelpful. If anything, the Lib Dems have been the most dishonest about the strength of their own Europeanism. British nationalism always comes first.

Acaila
Jan 2, 2011

Chas McGill posted:

I don't post much, but I appreciate the roundup because I'm extremely lazy and I haven't bought any of these papers in years.

Also I'm moving to Edinburgh in October so I'd be interested in talking to goons around a sticky boardgame table in a 'tavern' full of gross turbonerds. Bruntsfield will be my neighbourhood and it seems easy to get around from there.

Bruntsfield is a nice place :)
Though I'm moving out to Fife in November, but won't be far away. If you like that sort of gaming, walk down from Bruntsfield to Tollcross and go to the Edinburgh Games Hub. Me and my pal found it thinking it was a cafe, stayed for their panini and brownies, and they seemed terribly confused by these girls coming in just for the food not the games, but they were very nice :D. I noticed there's also a new one down by Lebowskis, but they haven't fed me brownies enough for an endorsement.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Chas McGill posted:

Missed this. You will not find a sticky table in any games cafe in the land, because one post on BGG saying "they don't clean the tables" and they will lose most of their regular business. Also you won't meet many "gross turbonerds" these days because the increased popularity of gaming in the mainstream has pushed the real trogs back into their holes. If you went to an event like Spiel, Europe's biggest games trade fair with footfall of 40,000 visitors a day, you'd be shocked by how normal nearly everyone looks.

Acaila
Jan 2, 2011

Jedit posted:

Missed this. You will not find a sticky table in any games cafe in the land, because one post on BGG saying "they don't clean the tables" and they will lose most of their regular business. Also you won't meet many "gross turbonerds" these days because the increased popularity of gaming in the mainstream has pushed the real trogs back into their holes. If you went to an event like Spiel, Europe's biggest games trade fair with footfall of 40,000 visitors a day, you'd be shocked by how normal nearly everyone looks.

Please tell me you are self-aware of how defensively turbonerdish this post comes across as.

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Pirate World: Nearly done!
I love the idea of the Games Hub in Edinburgh, but the fact that most of the gaming space is in a basement with almost no natural light really puts me off going there.

Glasgow's pop-up cafe is lovely, pretty accessible from the train station too! The cafe it's in -Saramago- has a great menu too.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

Acaila posted:

Bruntsfield is a nice place :)
Though I'm moving out to Fife in November, but won't be far away. If you like that sort of gaming, walk down from Bruntsfield to Tollcross and go to the Edinburgh Games Hub. Me and my pal found it thinking it was a cafe, stayed for their panini and brownies, and they seemed terribly confused by these girls coming in just for the food not the games, but they were very nice :D. I noticed there's also a new one down by Lebowskis, but they haven't fed me brownies enough for an endorsement.
I've actually don't know much about boardgaming, I was making fun of 'flaps post. That place sounds nice though.

Jedit posted:

I shouldn't have said that turbonerds are gross, I'm sorry.

Chas McGill fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Sep 11, 2016

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

Scotland's papers: 9/11 remembered and 'Mad Pup Adair' death

quote:

A photograph of four-year-old Olivia-Mae Johnston dominates in the front page of The Herald. She held a candle at a memorial service to mark the 15th anniversary of the 9/11 terror attacks.

In its lead story, the paper reports thatHumanists have launched a legal challenge to give pupils the right to opt out of religious observance in Scottish schools.

Home Secretary Amber Rudd has warned that Britons travelling to Europe may have to pay for permission to enter EU countries, according to The Scotsman.

The "mystery death" of the son of Johnny "Mad Dog" Adair makes the front page of the Daily Record. It reports that the body of Jonathan Adair was discovered two days after he got out of prison.

The Sun reports that Celtic fans have been criticised over a "hanging doll" stunt at Saturday's Old Firm match. Its says two blow-up dolls in Rangers scarves were suspended from the Jock Stein stand at Celtic Park during the high-profile clash.

Meanwhile the Scottish Daily Mail reports that a police officer at the centre of the M9 crash scandal has been awarded a £35,000 pay rise. It says John Hawkins was Chief Superintendent of the division where the accident happened. He is now an Assistant Chief Constable.

First Minister Nicola Sturgeon has called for Ruth Davidson, the leader of the Scottish Conservatives, to apologise for "offensive" remarks, according to The National.

The Press and Journal's north-east edition leads with a story about a £5m revamp for "four ailing towns".

And one Syrian refugee has told The I newspaper that his future is in Scotland.

Nothing from the courier today, and they have the times image but no text; main story is the same as today's guardian, about Hillary Clinton and a proposed " consultation" on prosecuting companies as well as individuals for fraud. Which seems like a non&story since absolutely nothing has happened on it yet

Its been 4 years, but in an uncertain world it's reassuring to know that you can count on old firm fans continuing to be awful

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Stuart Campbell's had his Twitter suspended

L
O
L

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
A few hours too late it's back up now.

Let the crowdfunding commence.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Pissflaps posted:

I can't tell he blocked me for the hillsborough thing.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

serious gaylord posted:

I can't tell he blocked me for the hillsborough thing.

Congratulations you're now on the twitter block list he distributes to his followers: and then the fucker whines about being 'silenced' by Twitter.

Delicious hypocrisy.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

Pissflaps posted:

What a shame

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
I'm not sure i'd count it as a good thing that the Express is silencing people for disagreeing with their blatant race hatred. Rev. Stu or not.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Regarde Aduck posted:

I'm not sure i'd count it as a good thing that the Express is silencing people for disagreeing with their blatant race hatred. Rev. Stu or not.

Well no, but when its him, well...

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

Cerv posted:

Stuart Campbell's had his Twitter suspended

L
O
L

For no reason, presumably because Siobhan McFadyen is having a tantrum. It was reinstated earlier today.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Regarde Aduck posted:

The Express hasn't 'silenced' anybody: they don't run Twitter, and the guy was publishing on his blog and using his other Twitter account while his main one was suspended.

Accounts get suspended and reinstated on Twitter all the time.

While we're on the subject, it was amusing to see him recently bemoaning the fact that Labour hadn't used their time in power to enact progressive enough policies - at the same time as the silly fucker was enthusiastically voting Lib Dem.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

Coohoolin posted:

For no reason, presumably because Siobhan McFadyen is having a tantrum. It was reinstated earlier today.

do you really believe that there was no reason?

if this was his first warning from Twitter he doesn't seem to be taking it on board; instead crowing to his followers. which makes me think a permanent ban is inevitable. like Milo Yiannopolous got eventually

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Coohoolin posted:

He deserves to get banned for tweeting his views on hillsborough. They're abhorent.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

serious gaylord posted:

He deserves to get banned for tweeting his views on hillsborough. They're abhorent.

He's consistent, then.

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

Front pages: NHS 'meltdown' and MP numbers cut

quote:

The news that David Cameron is to quit the House of Commons, while the BBC loses out to Channel 4 to screen the Great British Bake Off, dominates Tuesday's front pages.

The National says that the former prime minister has quit parliament rather than rebel against Theresa May's grammar school plans south of the border.

Meanwhile, The Times of Scotland writes that David Cameron has called time on his political career after two months spent watching Theresa May "purge his allies and tear up key policies".

Mr Cameron is now set to "reap millions of pounds" outside politics despite never having had a "real job", is how the Scottish Daily Mail reports the story.

Elsewhere, The Herald reports on a warning from Dr Mark Holland - the president of the Society for Acute Medicine - who has said that the NHS in Scotland will experience "pockets of meltdown" this winter as the service comes under increasing pressure.

On a similar note, the Scottish Daily Express claims that GPs could close their doors to patients because of a chronic shortage of family doctors in Scotland.

Support among Scots for independence is marginally higher than it was almost two years ago when the country rejected leaving the UK in a closer-than-expected vote, says The Scotsman, which reports ona new poll by Kantar TNS.

A Scot who caused a flight to be diverted in the US refuses to apologise for "causing chaos", claims the Daily Record.

The i writes that Labour are set to be the main losers under plans for the "biggest overhaul of the parliamentary map" for nearly a century. Jeremy Corbyn and his leadership challenger Owen Smith are among many senior opposition figures whose constituencies will vanish or be heavily redrawn.

Channel 4 is now the home of The Great British Bake Off after the BBC lost the rights to the baking phenomenon, reports the Daily Star of Scotland. The paper says the popular baking show will now be shown on Channel 4, after it was confirmed the broadcaster has signed a new three-year deal with the channel.

I'm genuinely surprised about the lack of a significant brexit bump in the polls. Purely anecdotally I know quite a few people, myself included, who are more amenable to the idea of independence since the vote, with no indication any opinions have gone the other way. As a snap judgement I think this might have a lot to do with (in my opinion damaging) identity politics being possibly the major dominant decision making factor; being for or anti independence is how Scottish politics is largely defined, and that's more or less entrenched. It might change when brexit actually heats up and you get some noticeable changes, but I would've thought there would be an evident difference already

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
I thought there'd be a jump for Yes support in the polls but it just hasn't happened.

I can't see another referendum happening any time soon.