Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Anonymous John
Mar 8, 2002

abraham linksys posted:

anyone seen Kanye on this tour yet? Ticketmaster just opened up a ton of "behind the stage" tickets for the MSG shows, but with the floating stage setup, is there actually, like, a stage blocking your view from those seats?

or I could get a $226 GA ticket :captainpop:

I was in GA at Boston and it was totally worth it. Though MSG is a terrible venue (too low volume, too high A/C), so it may not be the same.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Gucci mane is a loving legend

This is absolutely true. Gucci is top 5 GOAT. He is an amazing rapper. You may not care for what he raps about, but he can rap his rear end off.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

Tremendous Taste posted:

Atmosphere, Busdriver, Immortal Technique, Macklemore

Whither Aesop Rock?

Anyway, blue squares, based on what you mentioned, you should check out Common, Big Boi's solo albums, Q-Tip/A Tribe Called Quest, Chance the Rapper, Blackalicious/Gift of Gab, and my pet favorite J-Live

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Criminal Minded posted:

Whither Aesop Rock?

Anyway, blue squares, based on what you mentioned, you should check out Common, Big Boi's solo albums, Q-Tip/A Tribe Called Quest, Chance the Rapper, Blackalicious/Gift of Gab, and my pet favorite J-Live

Awesome, thanks. And thanks to the others.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
blue squares check out Run The Jewels 1/2 they go hard and are fun and dope. Advice from a guy who seems to like similar things to you based on previous posts. Other than that the post above me (edit that you already replied to) is pretty solid.

JackBobby
Feb 26, 2016

alansmithee posted:

They're serious in that they're popular rappers, but they're not serious in terms of "I like Kendrick, Outkast, and Kanye West, what else would I like". I'm not saying you won't like them (and Wayne in particular has a ton of great music), and if you're actually interested in getting more into rap it would be a good idea to check them out just to branch out, but the sound is gonna be very different. It's people recommending stuff they like vs. stuff that's actually similar to what you're liking.

I dunno, College Dropout/Late Registration got me into hip-hop, and I got into Wayne pretty quickly after that. To be fair this was back when Weezy was on the top of the world and everybody in my dorm was bumping him. I think he has an infectious energy that can be pretty appealing to a beginner. He was one of the first dudes who made me appreciate rapping on a mechancial level rather than just trying to listen for meaning or whatever.

I would say The Roots are a good entry point (in a good way and Black Thought is top 5 DOA). Blue Squares you should check out Game Theory, How I Got Over, or Things Fall Apart. They don't really have any bad albums though.

Not strictly hip-hop, but if you like Kanye and Outkast you should be listening to Gorillaz. All of their albums are great and have appearances from a lot of great rappers. Just don't start with "The Fall."

If you like Kendrick check out the other TDE guys. Schoolboy Q's Habits and Contradictions is great. If you like that you can delve deeper into classic West Coast gansta stuff. Ab-Soul's "Book of Soul" is cerebral and spacey in a good way. Plus its got one of the best posse cuts of the last 10 years.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Chance the Rapper is cool and good. My rappers.txt:

quote:

rappers

Atmosphere, Busdriver, Immortal Technique, Macklemore
Acid Rap by Chance the Rapper

Common, Big Boi's solo albums, Q-Tip/A Tribe Called Quest, Chance the Rapper, Blackalicious/Gift of Gab, and my pet favorite J-Live

Run The Jewels 1/2

The Roots: Game Theory, How I got Over, Things Fall Apart.

Gorillaz (not the Fall)

Other TDE guys (Kendrick's label), Schoolboy Q's Habits and Contradictions

Ab-Soul's "Book of Soul" is cerebral and spacey in a good way.

VVVVV added. This is the best day ever

blue squares fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Sep 5, 2016

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Pusha T and Clipse

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Food and Liqour, The Cool, Tetsuo and Youth.

Good Canadian Boy
May 12, 2013

no mention of tyler

smh

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
lil b - red flame
Lil b - blue flame
Lil b - evil red flame

JackBobby
Feb 26, 2016

Tremendous Taste posted:

Pusha T and Clipse

Big time. Hell Hath No Fury is immaculately produced.

Dexo posted:

Food and Liqour, The Cool, Tetsuo and Youth.

I have so much nostalgia for Lupe. Tetsuo and Youth being as good as it is was felt like meeting up with an old friend. The way he spits on Mural reminds me why I ever liked hip-hop in the first place.

Man this thread is fun. It's a great feeling delving into a genre for the first time- you have years and years of classic projects just waiting for you. I ignored hip hop through most of high school to listen to the Decembrists or whatever, and I'm still not all the way caught up.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

I feel like I basically discovered rap today :monocle:

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

blue squares posted:

Chance the Rapper is cool and good. My rappers.txt:

VVVVV added. This is the best day ever

FWIW the post mentioning Atmosphere and my response to it were jokes, but hey explore anything and everything by all means, nothing wrong with that :)

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Criminal Minded posted:

FWIW the post mentioning Atmosphere and my response to it were jokes, but hey explore anything and everything by all means, nothing wrong with that :)

Yeah that was a joke, although Atmosphere is decent enough, Busdriver is cool but an acquired taste, Immortal technique is good if you have like 15 Che shirts, a trust fund, and aren't yet 25, and Macklemore is meh.

JackBobby
Feb 26, 2016

alansmithee posted:

Yeah that was a joke, although Atmosphere is decent enough, Busdriver is cool but an acquired taste, Immortal technique is good if you have like 15 Che shirts, a trust fund, and aren't yet 25, and Macklemore is meh.

Oh man I remember a kid (college aged hipster) telling me without a trace of irony that his way of sticking it to the man was to listen (with headphones) to immortal technique while he used the gym at his parents country club.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

you took advantage of my naivety like a football player on prom night

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
I got sort of into hip hop through Public Enemy as a teen, but basically stuck to that, De La Soul, and Tribe Called Quest up until my college friends played MBDTF for me, so... similar boat, once upon a time, even if I'm not listening to a ton of it.

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill
Show at MSG was trash. You didn't miss anything

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Good Canadian Boy posted:

no mention of tyler

smh

Good.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

blue squares posted:

you took advantage of my naivety like a football player on prom night

I mean it's worth mentioning that none of those artists is like awful or anything, they just all present as easy targets for mockery for one reason or another and also often end up being touted as "real hip-hop" by people who don't know what the gently caress they're talking about and decry "bling and bitches" and what have you. There's some merit to be found in all their stuff, none of them is like the Nickelback of rap or anything. If any of them happen to catch your interest check them out for sure, there's nothing to lose but time.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
Plus I guarantee everybody in here has an artist or two in their playlists that would earn them some serious roasting by most people because art is weird and our tastes in it and reasons for liking it are even weirder

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
Side note I was at a trendy KC bar/club mostly populated with like preppy white kids for this glowlight Labor Day last-party-of-summer poo poo and "Ante Up" came blasting over the speakers, and while I realize that was a bit of a crossover hit for them it was still really weird for me to see a bunch of sorority girls just getting down to Lil Fame and Billy Danze screaming angrily about robbing people at gunpoint

JackBobby
Feb 26, 2016

Criminal Minded posted:

Side note I was at a trendy KC bar/club mostly populated with like preppy white kids for this glowlight Labor Day last-party-of-summer poo poo and "Ante Up" came blasting over the speakers, and while I realize that was a bit of a crossover hit for them it was still really weird for me to see a bunch of sorority girls just getting down to Lil Fame and Billy Danze screaming angrily about robbing people at gunpoint

Was this at Power & Light? Pretty funny they would play Ante Up considering their "dress codes."

atrus50
Dec 24, 2008
i cant tell if blue is trolling

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

JackBobby posted:

Was this at Power & Light? Pretty funny they would play Ante Up considering their "dress codes."

Nah, Throwback in Westport

and yeah P&L's dress code is the most dog whistle poo poo ever

JackBobby
Feb 26, 2016

Criminal Minded posted:

Nah, Throwback in Westport

and yeah P&L's dress code is the most dog whistle poo poo ever

Throwback is in the old America's Pub space right? That place had its own issues with dog whistles and controversy.

I live in Westport but I haven't checked out Throwback yet. I've heard it's like Up Down but chiller.

Anonymous John
Mar 8, 2002

bows1 posted:

Show at MSG was trash. You didn't miss anything

Come on son you cannot leave us hanging

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

JackBobby posted:

Throwback is in the old America's Pub space right? That place had its own issues with dog whistles and controversy.

I live in Westport but I haven't checked out Throwback yet. I've heard it's like Up Down but chiller.

Yeah that's the one. That was my first time there and either I was distracted by all the waitresses in white bikinis or I didn't notice any actual games in that place :confused: I had heard the same. I usually stick to Buzzard because I have a thing for hot messes with pixie cuts even though half the time they're lesbians and thus unavailable :v:

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

atrus50 posted:

i cant tell if blue is trolling

What's trolling about being completely ignorant of rap music but eager to learn?

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

blue squares posted:

What's trolling about being completely ignorant of rap music but eager to learn?

Because you sound like a 50yo man in 1993

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

theflyingexecutive posted:

Because you sound like a 50yo man in 1993

Lots of my friends who don't listen to rap sound just like him but it is what it is.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Lots of my friends who don't listen to rap sound just like him but it is what it is.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

where do I get a hat that goes sideways? I like the look

Thom Yorke raps
Nov 2, 2004

blue squares posted:

where do I get a hat that goes sideways? I like the look

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D3hD9ZbguIg
just turn it sideways on your head

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

That is one cool dad

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

Anonymous John posted:

Come on son you cannot leave us hanging

I posted that last night when I was hammered. I built it up a lot so I was a little disappointed but it was still good. Just not as good as Yeezus and I was hoping for better.

Anyways worth going to see

JackBobby
Feb 26, 2016

Criminal Minded posted:

Yeah that's the one. That was my first time there and either I was distracted by all the waitresses in white bikinis or I didn't notice any actual games in that place :confused: I had heard the same. I usually stick to Buzzard because I have a thing for hot messes with pixie cuts even though half the time they're lesbians and thus unavailable :v:

Buzzard is the best bar in Westport. Or at least the only one that doesn't feel like a frat party. Cheap beer, good rowdy crowd. Not a fan of all the new development in the parking lot but whatever.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

I'm surprised Kanye never put out a concert film

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

JackBobby posted:

Buzzard is the best bar in Westport. Or at least the only one that doesn't feel like a frat party. Cheap beer, good rowdy crowd. Not a fan of all the new development in the parking lot but whatever.

My duuuude. :hfive:

• Locked thread