Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which non-Power of the Daleks story would you like to see an episode found from?
This poll is closed.
Marco Polo 36 20.69%
The Myth Makers 10 5.75%
The Massacre of St. Bartholomew's Eve 45 25.86%
The Savages 2 1.15%
The Smugglers 2 1.15%
The Highlanders 45 25.86%
The Macra Terror 21 12.07%
Fury from the Deep 13 7.47%
Total: 174 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Dabir posted:

What's the best example of whoever it is doing Hartnell that someone could listen to before buying an audio? Any of the ideally more recent trailers have a lot of him in them?

I'd have to imagine that the Early Adventures trailers would have William Russell and Peter Purves' impressions in them; but I never actually listened to the trailers before buying those stories. Purves has gotten quite good at it though.

Astroman posted:

There's like a 10x more Doctor Who stories than there was when I was a kid, it's pretty amazing.

Imagine telling a fan of Doctor Who in the 90s "hey, soon there's going to be literally too much Doctor Who for you to choose from"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

jivjov posted:

Imagine telling a fan of Doctor Who in the 90s "hey, soon there's going to be literally too much Doctor Who for you to choose from"

"Oh yeah, I'm REALLY looking forward to loads of episodes of The Stranger".

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
This is a random thought that is apropos of nothing in particular....but I think I'd be happier with the 8th Doctor box set releases if they were released as individual stories; either worked in to the monthly range like 8th doctor stuff used to be, or just released individually like the EDAs.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
The last episode of Daleks' Master Plan gave me another new favourite Dalek moment, with one muttering under its breath that they will still be following him after telling Chen that he is in control of the prisoners. We're like one step away from sassy Daleks at this point.

And yeah, Sara's exit certainly is something. I can't imagine how the show would have actually depicted that at the time (apart from "poorly and cheaply", natch), but the existing audio and Purves' narration certainly carry the impact.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

I'd love for Big Finish to take a crack at some of the BBC EDA/PDA Books like it's done the NAs/MAs. We've had Fitz pop up in Big Finish before now, so it's not entirely outside their remit.

I'd love to hear an adaptation of something like Festival of Death or Illegal Alien

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Box of Bunnies posted:

And yeah, Sara's exit certainly is something. I can't imagine how the show would have actually depicted that at the time (apart from "poorly and cheaply", natch), but the existing audio and Purves' narration certainly carry the impact.

I absolutely love that Steven takes a (verbal) shot at the Doctor when he pauses to chuckle and taunt the desiccated remains of one of the Daleks and Steven reminds him,"Hey, they're not the only things that died this isn't a loving party :mad:"

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Box of Bunnies posted:

The last episode of Daleks' Master Plan gave me another new favourite Dalek moment, with one muttering under its breath that they will still be following him after telling Chen that he is in control of the prisoners. We're like one step away from sassy Daleks at this point.

Daleks that actually have character are great

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Open Source Idiom posted:

I'm looking forward to the inevitable tell all book about this era: Moffat's Who has gone through more Producers than Hogwarts went through Defense Against Dark Arts professors.

I wonder if it'll be like RTD, where everybody hated him - hated him - by the time he left and couldn't wait for him to go, but now like him better after they've gotten a load of the next guy?

Looking at the entire history of the series, in terms of their impact on the show, how do RTD and Moffat compare with JNT?

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Wheat Loaf posted:

I wonder if it'll be like RTD, where everybody hated him - hated him - by the time he left and couldn't wait for him to go, but now like him better after they've gotten a load of the next guy?

Looking at the entire history of the series, in terms of their impact on the show, how do RTD and Moffat compare with JNT?

That's an incredibly broad question still and that's before we even disentangle the producer hat from the other showrunner headwear.

In any case, I think you're overstating the change of heart over ol' Rusty. Moffat's frequent production snafus have made him look a better producer, at least, but that's not why people didn't like his stuff before.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Box of Bunnies posted:

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Daleks that actually have character are great

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
The post itself is just a typical announcement-of-an-announcement...but something will be revealed on the official Doctor Who Facebook page at midnight UK time

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

jivjov posted:

The post itself is just a typical announcement-of-an-announcement...but something will be revealed on the official Doctor Who Facebook page at midnight UK time

What post?

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

cargohills posted:

What post?

The one you quoted, for one :v:

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

cargohills posted:

What post?

A post on their Facebook page announcing the announcement. Lemme edit in a link real quick.

https://www.facebook.com/DoctorWho/posts/1493765573970798

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Animated Power is the obvious guess

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Wasn't that already announced? Or is it maybe releasing at midnight?

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Reddit has a screenshot of a now-taken-down page announcing it.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

"We would like to announce that we had created an animated version of Power of the Daleks...... we would like to, but our Chief Executive deleted the files to make room for his holiday snaps, he assumed we probably had a copy somewhere else...."

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Jerusalem posted:

"We would like to announce that we had created an animated version of Power of the Daleks...... we would like to, but our Chief Executive deleted the files to make room for his holiday snaps, he assumed we probably had a copy somewhere else...."

"In lieu of that, we did find the original film prints of the serial. Though I think he may have used them to kindle his fire. So instead, have the Adric Chronicles!"

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Yup, animated Power:

http://www.doctorwhonews.net/2016/09/power-of-daleks-50th-anniversary-070916000108.html

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I am very happy about this.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Nov 12th on BBC America!:

http://www.bbcamerica.com/anglophenia/2016/09/bbc-america-brings-destroyed-doctor-who-episodes-back-to-life

Davros1 fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Sep 7, 2016

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Released on DVD on the 21st of November, loving awesome.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Is this a sign of future reconstructions to come? Or is is more likely that this is a one-off?

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

jivjov posted:

Is this a sign of future reconstructions to come? Or is is more likely that this is a one-off?

Well, if there is more to come, there's a certain poll they can look at!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I imagine that Evil would be the next one they'd look at producing, or at least I hope so

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Jerusalem posted:

I imagine that Evil would be the next one they'd look at producing, or at least I hope so

Wait, The Face of Evil is a lost episode?

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

CobiWann posted:

The Mind of Evil sort of is

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

CobiWann posted:

It was lost in The Web of Caves

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Hello Doctor Who thread. I haven't been following Doctor Who news since the new show-runner was announced, did I miss anything?

I saw the new companion video.

pinacotheca
Oct 19, 2012

Events cast shadows before them, but the huger shadows creep over us unseen.
Sadly, he's still going to be the new showrunner. Sorry!

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

pinacotheca posted:

Sadly, he's still going to be the new showrunner. Sorry!

Damnit. Couldn't they just bring back RTD? He's not up to much these days right?

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

marktheando posted:

Hello Doctor Who thread. I haven't been following Doctor Who news since the new show-runner was announced, did I miss anything?

I saw the new companion video.

Animated version of Power coming out, name of first episode of next series has leaked

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

marktheando posted:

Couldn't they just bring back RTD? He's not up to much these days right?

I'd rather they didn't.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

I'm finally watching series 9, on "Sleep No More," and I haven't liked a single episode so far. The Zygon two-parter is probably the worst thing the revival has done.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

egon_beeblebrox posted:

I'm finally watching series 9, on "Sleep No More," and I haven't liked a single episode so far. The Zygon two-parter is probably the worst thing the revival has done.
I disliked series 9 so much that I stopped watching it after 'The Woman Who Lived' and only begrudgingly came back for 'Hell Bent'. It's a combination of disliking Capaldi's Doctor (he's a good actor, but the character is an obnoxious arsehole) and the insufferable Clara, stories that are disappointing, dull, stupid, embarrassing or some combination of all four, and the feeling that Moffat has lost all control and restraint in order to make this particular Doctor and companion The Most Important Ones Ever, EVAR!

'Kill The Moon' is the worst thing the revival's done, though. Along with 'Forest of the Night'.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I hope, considering they're going to be airing Power, that it's a huge success and they jump to Evil and eventually, all of the missing Who episodes.

...I am more excited for a budgeted animated remake of a 50 year old serial than I am for the next year of Who. I don't know how to feel about that.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Payndz posted:

I disliked series 9 so much that I stopped watching it after 'The Woman Who Lived' and only begrudgingly came back for 'Hell Bent'. It's a combination of disliking Capaldi's Doctor (he's a good actor, but the character is an obnoxious arsehole) and the insufferable Clara, stories that are disappointing, dull, stupid, embarrassing or some combination of all four, and the feeling that Moffat has lost all control and restraint in order to make this particular Doctor and companion The Most Important Ones Ever, EVAR!

'Kill The Moon' is the worst thing the revival's done, though. Along with 'Forest of the Night'.

The Zygon two parter has so much racist subtext it's gone all the way through text and into supertext, at a time when racist tendencies are becoming increasingly legitimised in UK public discourse. Anti-abortion doesn't have anyway near the same contemporary status in the UK, and the anti-mental health medication implication in Forest is laid on much less thick.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Burkion posted:

I hope, considering they're going to be airing Power, that it's a huge success and they jump to Evil and eventually, all of the missing Who episodes.

...I am more excited for a budgeted animated remake of a 50 year old serial than I am for the next year of Who. I don't know how to feel about that.

I think expecting the new series to be as good as Power is a bit of an unfair standard to set

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

MrL_JaKiri posted:

I think expecting the new series to be as good as Power is a bit of an unfair standard to set

I suppose you have a point.

Honestly, one story I hope they recreate sooner than later is Mission To The Unknown/Dalek Master Plan. I understand Ian had Mission to the Unknown animated, which might be one of the best things he's been responsible for because it's just such a wonderful unique idea of an episode that I don't think has ever been done again.

• Locked thread