Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Eat Bum Zen posted:

I think this too + your other post makes sense so I'll probably put a little bit of money on Punk. Maybe his cardio is just ungodly or something and he has an iron chin? Maybe the Xe lifestyle is good??

please don't put money on anything based on what i say.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
Punk - Tank Abbott is the money match down the road.

Eat Bum Zen
Jul 19, 2013

*mumbles*
Rated T for Teen

Marching Powder posted:

please don't put money on anything based on what i say.

I just recently came into like a whole bunch though :(

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Eat Bum Zen posted:

might want to check in the finance thread but i don't think betting on mma is part of a diverse portfolio

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

If Jase bets on Punk, I'll know poo poo's about to go down

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Eat Bum Zen posted:

send it to me

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Eat Bum Zen posted:

hey, instead of betting on cm punk, please send me however much you would have bet on him, and in exchange ill email you funny things cm punk has done or said while wrestling, like that time he yelled human being for no particular reason, or that time he got really mad about a guy in a chipmunk costume

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

here's what we in the business like to call an 'appetizer':

Eat Bum Zen
Jul 19, 2013

*mumbles*
Rated T for Teen

Skip My Posts posted:

send it to me

will you help me make massive returns????

Endorph posted:

hey, instead of betting on cm punk, please send me however much you would have bet on him, and in exchange ill email you funny things cm punk has done or said while wrestling, like that time he yelled human being for no particular reason, or that time he got really mad about a guy in a chipmunk costume

he sounds like a jerk!

Marching Powder posted:

might want to check in the finance thread but i don't think betting on mma is part of a diverse portfolio

hmm, looks like I should buy a variable annuity and a new gaming rig

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
take the money you were gonna bet on punk and put it on overeem

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!

Skinty McEdger posted:

I don't know that Gall is an obviously bad match up for Punk in any other way than "knows how to fight a bit" which I think pretty much every pro fighter in the world a bad match up.

Lets make no mistake they picked Gall because they thought he would lose. It just turns out that Punk is in fact worse than they expected him to be.
Gall is a very legit BJJ brown belt who was competitive with a top grappler in a NAGA match last year. BJJ was, theoretically, supposed to be Punk's base, though it appears they gave up on that storyline when they realized how bad it would come off at this point. There are plenty of 1-0 welterweights they could have found who would have been better match-ups for Punk while still not being outright cans.

henkman
Oct 8, 2008

Skip My Posts posted:

take the money you were gonna bet on punk and put it on overeem

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
i wont bet on punk because i have no idea if mickey gall is good

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe

Eat Bum Zen posted:

I think this too + your other post makes sense so I'll probably put a little bit of money on Punk. Maybe his cardio is just ungodly or something and he has an iron chin? Maybe the Xe lifestyle is good??

Please don't do that.

ParanoidInc
Apr 27, 2013

You dun scuffed me for the last time you no-good Zayn boy!
Fun Shoe
cm punk is GSP's toughest opponent yet

Eat Bum Zen
Jul 19, 2013

*mumbles*
Rated T for Teen
alright, i'll not do that

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
If you're honestly looking for returns then don't gamble but if you wanna have fun and make some picks you should do it

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Marching Powder posted:

i can't remember the last time dan henderson elite wrestled anyone. he works entirely by setting up his one weapon and he is somehow getting a title shot off of it. if an old, broken down man with literally one move can murder tim boetsch and hector lombard than an old, broken down man with 2 years of elite training can be competitive with a guy who trained part time with impersonal coaching for several years.

Its not about whether he actively wrestles people these days, but rather that he's had a lifetime of actual combat sports training. Hendo also wouldn't be able to land that right near as often if it wasn't for his lifetime of grappling.

Also Gall is a 2-0 guy, but he had his first fight two years ago. This is a man that has actually stepped into a cage and beat four other people who all have been training (even if only part time) just as long or longer than Punk. Sure he's green, but he's been training likely 2-3 times as long as Punk has and it is going to make a huge difference.

Yes Punk has been at a world class gym, but for all the training he's done there his striking looks just like any other rookie with very little time training. I hope his grappling skills have improved immensely otherwise he is going to get obliterated in pretty quick fashion.

vainman
Nov 2, 2012

I find your lack of faith... disturbing
Is there a show about Gall because his story is way more compelling to me

RagingHematoma
Apr 19, 2004

Goiters can be beautiful too!
Apparently Gall's dad kissed him on the lips on some footage and now everyone is saying how weird he is.

Also Punk is winning people over as a great guy with his documentary.

Obviously I don't know the guy, but Punk always seemed like a massive douche to me. Is it wrong for me to want to see him lose so badly?

RagingHematoma fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Sep 7, 2016

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Punk's had smokers, and I doubt the striking we have seen from him are the results of anything more than 6 months of training. If that is where his striking is at now though he will die.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Marching Powder posted:

Punk's had smokers, and I doubt the striking we have seen from him are the results of anything more than 6 months of training. If that is where his striking is at now though he will die.

and the rumors about his smokers is that he's been dismantled by every fighter he's faced.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Eat Bum Zen posted:

This isn't meant to be any sort of insight to the fight but pro wrestlers (especially guys like Punk) tend to have ridiculous cardio, yeah. If I had to pick one thing for Punk to worry least about it would probably be his ability to not gas out if a fight went the distance.

That's also a bit moot though because I don't think anyone expects it to go the distance.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

You shouldn't kiss your family on the lips brothas

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Mr. Nice! posted:

and the rumors about his smokers is that he's been dismantled by every fighter he's faced.

This is what smokers against guys who are better than you generally look like. Also, the guys he fought were more experienced than gall iirc

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

IcePhoenix posted:

This isn't meant to be any sort of insight to the fight but pro wrestlers (especially guys like Punk) tend to have ridiculous cardio, yeah. If I had to pick one thing for Punk to worry least about it would probably be his ability to not gas out if a fight went the distance.

I got a good laugh out of this, thanks.

double negative
Jul 7, 2003

The guy they fed to Gall was the guy that should have fought Punk

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

Yes officer, my name is Victoria Sonnen...berg
Yeah it should have been the loser fights Punk match, not the winner.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
It's gonna be really funny if Punk gets in a lucky punch KO in the first five seconds of this match and never wins anything ever again but has a long career because of that one punch

double negative
Jul 7, 2003

Coolest thing Punk could possibly do is pull off the fluke win and then get popped by USADA

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Punk failing a drug test would be the funniest thing, the actual fight itself wouldn't even matter

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

double negative posted:

Coolest thing Punk could possibly do is pull off the fluke win and then get popped by USADA

fluke win with the leaning uppercut

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Chris James 2 posted:

Punk failing a drug test would be the funniest thing, the actual fight itself wouldn't even matter

I would think it would be funnier if he won but then got popped.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

delfin posted:

Punk - Tank Abbott is the money match down the road.

Even better:

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

If someone could replace tito's scenes with titodick.jpg as the wrestlers look shocked and what not, I'd appreciate your efforts

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

IcePhoenix posted:

That's also a bit moot though because I don't think anyone expects it to go the distance.

In MMA it is not really an accepted thing for both guys lay on the ground and pretend to be hurt for a few seconds as an excuse to catch their breath, although if your exposure to the sport is based on The Ultimate Fighter and Kimbo Slice I could see how you might believe that.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Kimbo is missed more and more by the day

Eat Bum Zen
Jul 19, 2013

*mumbles*
Rated T for Teen

Bluedeanie posted:

In MMA it is not really an accepted thing for both guys lay on the ground and pretend to be hurt for a few seconds as an excuse to catch their breath, although if your exposure to the sport is based on The Ultimate Fighter and Kimbo Slice I could see how you might believe that.

Oh is that why every other move has that happening? I googled WWE to get an idea of what Punk's moveset was and like how hard it looked and there is quite a bit of laying about groaning and holding yourself

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Mel Mudkiper posted:

It's gonna be really funny if Punk gets in a lucky punch KO in the first five seconds of this match and never wins anything ever again but has a long career because of that one punch

I wouldn't even be mad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

xToddxDuffeex

• Locked thread