Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
RIP, father of modern FIFA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL
i'm glad he's dead

Poonior Toilett
Aug 21, 2004

m'lady

ephex posted:

i'm glad he's dead

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
rip joao you killed football and stole its lifeforce allowing you to live for an unnaturally long time

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

vyelkin posted:

rip joao you killed football and stole its lifeforce allowing you to live for an unnaturally long time

all the rear end in a top hat South American guys that helped to kill football all lived for a long time--Havelange, Nicolas Leoz, Julio Grondona etc.

makes you think

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

A Black Mark For Retarded Posting
Edit: wrong thread AGAIN I think my awful app is buggy

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

haha yes, this feels good

Toilet Rascal
Rest in piss

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
good

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

I'm glad that old man died

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

For this recipie you will need:
Football match (Halftime of), Celebrity Owner (Motivational speaking of), Sherry (Bottle of)

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

I'm glad that old man died

You're never going to beat Shipman with this kind of lax operational security

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
:siren: :siren: :siren:
So glad he finally croaked.

Mean Bean Machine
May 9, 2008

Only when I breathe.

jyrka posted:

Piece of poo poo white man dead. Good.

White Lives Matter

Polidoro
Jan 5, 2011

Huevo se dice argidia. Argidia!
lots of euros pretending my boy joao is what's wrong with football itt when uefa riding qatari dick is whats is really wrong with it.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Itt a bunch of guys who are too young to really care about Joao

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Bovril Delight posted:

Itt a bunch of guys who are too young to really care about Joao

The dude was 100, what the gently caress do you want

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

pik_d posted:

The dude was 100, what the gently caress do you want

He appears to want space goats.

And I can't say I blame him.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Blue Star Error posted:

:eyepop:

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

chuggo is BACK posted:

Joao Havelange has died aged 100

He had too many vowels in his first name its like he was named by a woman playing scrabble

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Blue Star Error posted:

Lol

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

#bastionboogerbrigade

African AIDS cum posted:

He had too many vowels in his first name its like he was named by a woman playing scrabble
His full name was Jean-Marie Faustin Goedefroid de Havelange.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

frankenfreak posted:

I'm glad he's dead.

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

Good, next stop Seppl.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

frankenfreak posted:

Football's made a Faustin bargain to be sure

chuggo is BACK
Jul 1, 2008

"Chuggo"

PWM POTM December 2014

Blue Star Error posted:

heh

porkface
Dec 29, 2000

Healbot posted:

Good, next stop Seppl.

So true. I can't wait for him to die at the age of 89.

Poonior Toilett
Aug 21, 2004

m'lady

frankenfreak posted:

gently caress off Fight Club

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

#bastionboogerbrigade

vyelkin posted:

Football's made a Faustin bargain to be sure
Nun sag, wie hast du's mit der Korruption?

ultrabindu
Jan 28, 2009
Franz Beckenbauer investigated for corruption over 2006 World Cup

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-37246543

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011
The dumbass currently in charge of FIFA wants to make it a 40 team competition in 2026. What's the point of all these qualifiers then?

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Potato Count: 2 small potatoes

Vinestalk posted:

The dumbass currently in charge of FIFA wants to make it a 40 team competition in 2026. What's the point of all these qualifiers then?

To find the 40 teams?

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011
I know you're real desperate to see whatever country you come from get into the world cup, but adding a bunch of unentertaining teams to the competition doesn't make it more enjoyable and it'll just cheapen the experience for you should hell freeze over and they actually do qualify.

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Vinestalk posted:

I know you're real desperate to see whatever country you come from get into the world cup, but adding a bunch of unentertaining teams to the competition doesn't make it more enjoyable and it'll just cheapen the experience for you should hell freeze over and they actually do qualify.

:lol:

Whatever country I'm from will never qualify for anything. I didn't consider the possibility for a second.

I just think 40 teams will decrease the chances of a big team not qualifying which will be better for everyone - fans want all the famous teams there, it will bring more revenue in, it will be easier on the players who already have very demanding club seasons, and, yes, there will be room for a couple of Iceland-type stories. It's a win-win-win-win situation.

Who is actually harmed by a 40 team World Cup? It won't be cheapened because it's still the World Cup. No one cares that it was 24 teams before 1998.

And the ratio of teams qualifying would be roughly the same as it was when a 32 team WC was introduced. It was 32/174 then, now it'd be 40/211.

jyrka fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Sep 7, 2016

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Bender: "I was God once." God: "Yes, I saw. You were doing well until everyone died."

jyrka posted:

:lol:

Whatever country I'm from will never qualify for anything. I didn't consider the possibility for a second.

I just think 40 teams will decrease the chances of a big team not qualifying which will be better for everyone - fans want all the famous teams there, it will bring more revenue in, it will be easier on the players who already have very demanding club seasons, and, yes, there will be room for a couple of Iceland-type stories. It's a win-win-win-win situation.

He also wants USA/Canada/Mexico to co-host it. Which is dumb as hell and would be a clusterfuck of travel times, distance, and passport bullshit.

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

B.B. Rodriguez posted:

He also wants USA/Canada/Mexico to co-host it. Which is dumb as hell and would be a clusterfuck of travel times, distance, and passport bullshit.

I don't see why not. It'd allow for more huge current stadiums to be included and lessen the burden on the taxpayer for building new stuff. And how bad could the travel thing be - aren't there loads of sports leagues who travel multiple times every week in those countries? I don't think it's an impossible obstacle for the travelling fans either. Say, 50,000 fans need to travel from USA to Canada for a match, how much is that of the total number of people traveling between the two countries? Not much I bet.

I'm sure FIFA likes the idea of having 3 federations to take bribes from as well.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Would the USA have enough big stadiums to host such an event?

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high

jyrka posted:

I don't see why not. It'd allow for more huge current stadiums to be included and lessen the burden on the taxpayer for building new stuff. And how bad could the travel thing be - aren't there loads of sports leagues who travel multiple times every week in those countries? I don't think it's an impossible obstacle for the travelling fans either. Say, 50,000 fans need to travel from USA to Canada for a match, how much is that of the total number of people traveling between the two countries? Not much I bet.

I'm sure FIFA likes the idea of having 3 federations to take bribes from as well.

It would also be the only way you'd see Canada in the world cup :sigh: :smith:

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY
If we learned anything from Euro 2016, it's that more teams sucks.

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high

blue footed boobie posted:

If we learned anything from Euro 2016, it's that more teams sucks.

Just because a team won the whole loving thing without winning a group match?

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

Yeah the group matches are so boring when 3 of the 4 advance to the second round anyway. I'd be down for a 64 team knockout world cup though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
If they make it a 40-team World Cup they'll make it so 32 teams qualify for the knockout stage and it will be the worst World Cup ever.