Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crindee
Nov 16, 2005

LOOK LIKE EMERIL
Lots of interesting facts about Brett on HH today, I had no idea he commuted so far to work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cams
Mar 28, 2003

hollywood handbook is the best podcast by a country mile.

Crindee
Nov 16, 2005

LOOK LIKE EMERIL
This show is funnier with no guest, the engineer on mic, and one host phoning in than basically any other podcast I listen to.

Tarranon
Oct 10, 2007

Diggity Dog
I'm really happy Sean respects me so much

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
du bist eine accordion

cams
Mar 28, 2003

Crindee posted:

This show is funnier with no guest, the engineer on mic, and one host phoning in than basically any other podcast I listen to.
truth

it was a good last episode imo

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

Tarranon posted:

I'm really happy Sean respects me so much

We're smart and friends.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

Ugh that's bad luck for the boys, they were just coming off Spont :(

cams
Mar 28, 2003

Eltoasto posted:

Ugh that's bad luck for the boys, they were just coming off Spont :(
brett's shocked "you guys did spont?!" made me laugh a bit.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
Is hard nation any good? I keep seeing good guests pop up and a non serious political podcast sounds decent.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

It started out pretty good but it lost steam really fast. Instead of being crazy rightwing guy vs crazy leftwing guy, Paul Welsh just plays his character as the straight man.

Unmerciful
Sep 14, 2008

He also only speaks in this weird menacing growl that I find completely off-putting. It's worth listening to the PFT (Ted Cruz) and Jon Gabrus (Chris Christie) episodes but mostly the formula is:

Still: [wacky conservative overreaction]
Welsh: That's. Not. True.
Still: [fumbles to regain some momentum]

Rinse repeat. Shame because it's a potentially great premise and they've gotten such good guests

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I like it whenever Trump is on, and the Carly Fiorina episode was super good too.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

The call in sections are pretty good usually (especially Craig Rowin as the kid who wants to join ISIS)

SoupyTwist
Feb 20, 2008

The_Rob posted:

Is hard nation any good? I keep seeing good guests pop up and a non serious political podcast sounds decent.

Listen to Trump vs Bernie instead

edit: Or the DigCast

SoupyTwist fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Sep 9, 2016

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Nicole Byer was on Jon Gabrus' podcast this week. Their chemistry is loving fantastic.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

GobiasIndustries posted:

Nicole Byer was on Jon Gabrus' podcast this week. Their chemistry is loving fantastic.
i mean this sincerely: as a perpetually skinny person, i find it very interesting to hear people discuss the difficulties of being overweight. the "sandwich" episode(s?) of the podcast have a bit of this too, i think.

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

:shoboobs:

Unmerciful posted:

He also only speaks in this weird menacing growl that I find completely off-putting. It's worth listening to the PFT (Ted Cruz) and Jon Gabrus (Chris Christie) episodes but mostly the formula is:

Still: [wacky conservative overreaction]
Welsh: That's. Not. True.
Still: [fumbles to regain some momentum]

Rinse repeat. Shame because it's a potentially great premise and they've gotten such good guests
Yeah that's a bit of a bummer. His voice sounds more right-wing than Mike Still who sounds more like a characterized lefty the way he shouts all sorts of stuff. I could easily see Mike, in that exact voice talk about his atheism and supporting Bernie while promoting his non-GMO THC strain. Paul Welsh on the other hand with that growl would perfectly fit promoting Trumps wall and sending back the illegal aliens to Alpha Centauri or w/e.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
Anybody listen to the Superego commentary over Spiderman 2 on Howl? I thought it was pretty good and I wasn't even listening to it while watching the movie.

Okonner
Dec 11, 2008

by exmarx

SoupyTwist posted:

edit: Or the DigCast

Know Such Peace
Dec 30, 2008
I'd rather listen to out-of-character commentaries. I've listened to most of Red Letter Media's commentaries without syncing them to any movies. Funny people tend to find the weird flaws in films that may otherwise go unnoticed.

Does Doug Benson do a podcast like that? I remember him doing something like live rifftrax, but don't know if they were good or even recorded.

Okonner
Dec 11, 2008

by exmarx

Tatumje posted:

I'd rather listen to out-of-character commentaries. I've listened to most of Red Letter Media's commentaries without syncing them to any movies. Funny people tend to find the weird flaws in films that may otherwise go unnoticed.

Does Doug Benson do a podcast like that? I remember him doing something like live rifftrax, but don't know if they were good or even recorded.

I don't think they record the movie "interruptions" but there was a tv show about Doug "interrupting" other stand-up's sets so you could probably get a feel for his riff style there.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Pete Holmes did a couple with PFT and John Mulaney

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Doug does a live show where he talks over movies but he doesn't record it since the film's audio would be on the track and he'd get sued, I think.

EmotionlessThug
Feb 14, 2012

Okonner posted:

I don't think they record the movie "interruptions" but there was a tv show about Doug "interrupting" other stand-up's sets so you could probably get a feel for his riff style there.

It was poo poo

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice

Okonner posted:

You won't. The TV show truncated and condensed way too much. His interruptions are better in-person.

Alternately, A Special Thing used to have a few podcasts of the Benson Interruption The best one was the one PFT guest hosted, though.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

EmotionlessThug posted:

It was poo poo

You not into watching comedians read their own tweets?

beeman
May 7, 2008

Crindee posted:

ye. it's my favourite podcast. it's amazing how entertaining they can be, even with no guest and little to no prepared material.

the episode where it's just sean by himself, gradually becoming more insane as it goes on is an all-time classic episode

padijun
Feb 5, 2004

murderbears forever
the teaser freezer about hardcore henry is wonderful, it just nosedives into a weird solipsistic wormhole

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N6BjAs9kNk0

Crindee
Nov 16, 2005

LOOK LIKE EMERIL

beeman posted:

ye. it's my favourite podcast. it's amazing how entertaining they can be, even with no guest and little to no prepared material.

the episode where it's just sean by himself, gradually becoming more insane as it goes on is an all-time classic episode

The photos on the Earwolf page for that episode are just perfect.

Tarranon
Oct 10, 2007

Diggity Dog
i feel like the home mart bit is probably my favorite moment in the show; starts off on a benign tangent and ends with us all realizing how cruel and exploitative we can be

at the very least it's the moment i knew that i had found something beautiful

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice
The Spider-Man pitch with BJ Novak hooked me in, but the home mart/Equalizer bit was when I realized I was listening to cool and smart sweeties who are my friends.

Crindee
Nov 16, 2005

LOOK LIKE EMERIL
I went back to re-listen and even the description for the Home Mart episode is great: "...then Gil Ozeri arrives to dish on his role in various police killings..."

beeman
May 7, 2008

i started bussing up laughing at just the mention of home mart

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

:shoboobs:
guys. it's home mart

cams
Mar 28, 2003

hommart

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
My favorite part of HH is that they never seem to tell guests what their show actually is and if they don't get it they seem to just make is more weird and obtuse for the guest.

Tacier
Jul 22, 2003

The_Rob posted:

My favorite part of HH is that they never seem to tell guests what their show actually is and if they don't get it they seem to just make is more weird and obtuse for the guest.

It makes me a little sad when the guests feel like Sean and Hayes are making fun of them when they ask ridiculous, hard questions, because the boys are always going to "yes and" anything the guest answers, no matter what.

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
"Yes, those aren't very good vacuums"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tarranon
Oct 10, 2007

Diggity Dog
man, the boys are going to need to do a make nice for their make nice

oh, make nice? just a lil biz terminology i picked up listening to the 'book