Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

triple sulk posted:

the floppy drive was dying when apple nixed it

getting rid of the superdrive made sense even in 2008 when the macbook air first came out because they were dying and you could buy the external one if you needed it

the lightning cable was a great upgrade at the time (although i wish they'd move to usb-c to keep in line with the macbook and allow cable reuse)

getting rid of the headphone jack is unnecessary and dumb bullshit because bluetooth loving sucks
so you agree that it's fine as long as there's an adapter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Pinterest Mom posted:

https://twitter.com/ZDNet/status/773249403255721984

hopefully there'll be a monthly subscription service so you can replace the ones you lose

this is so bad.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

dongles are cool and good and i can't wait to have more dongles (with the 2017 iphone; not getting this in any case)

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

zen death robot posted:

it's dumb because the only people getting rid of the jack is Apple so they can save .02$ per unit and sell a lovely dongle instead for $20

everything else will use a headphone jack until the nukes drop

Linguica posted:

oh good lenovo's new android has a camera wart and pogo pins for an official battery case and a 3.5mm dongle

thapple

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
i wonder if tim will be forced to restore the headphone jack for the 7s or if he can put it off until the 8

i wonder if there will be an iphone 8 frankly

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
im glad the headphone jack is dead

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

frankly i envy it

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

i got a piece of lint in my headphone jack the other day. had to dig around in there with a staple.

but yeah don't replace this 100 year old piece of technology, c'mon

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
can't wait for thousands of teenagers to accidentally wash their airpods in the washing machine and tweet out in pain

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

poty posted:

so i have to plug the iphone headphones on a different hole? who gives a gently caress?

- normal people

"so I can't use any of the headphones I've owned that have used the same plug since 19fucking50?"

-normal people

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.
the loving phone comes with an adapter so they can keep using the same dumbass skull candy headphones that 90% of people use

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

No one talks about this.
also a startling number of people use the provided earpods that come with their phone so they're already covered

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

No one talks about this.
and every headphone worth a drat will have a lightning cable out within a week of tomorrow

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

YA BOY ETHAN COUCH posted:

and every headphone worth a drat will have a lightning cable out within a week of tomorrow

at only a $30 markup too!

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

No one talks about this.
and only dipshits bemoan the fact that they may be faced with the prospect of buying something new because it is outdated and bad

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

No one talks about this.
NOT MY SENNS!!!!

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

No one talks about this.
literally people here putting the carriage before the horse deciding on a new product because of their old accessories

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
my head phones are already blue tooth so i dont get what you all are so upset about

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

triple sulk posted:

my wife who is a normal and not autistic person (unlike me) basically said what the gently caress when i told her the new iphone wasn't gonna have a headphone jack

is she ok w/ the dongle or is she not into that kind of thing? you know. being your wife and all

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

the first iphone required a dongle to use third party headphones

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

THC posted:

the first iPhone was a giant piece of poo poo

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

zen death robot posted:

what benefits will the consumer see from using a dongle for their headphones

a better-engineered phone

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
dongles are bad design/engineering

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

THC posted:

it was a standard plug with dumb plastic blocking it and they fixed that in gen 2. the first iphone also did not support copy and paste or third party apps so let's go back to that too because the first one did it.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

zen death robot posted:

what benefits will the consumer see from using a dongle for their headphones

they will be freed from the burden of being able to listen to music and charge their phone at the same time.

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

hell yeah gonna look sexy like uhura

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Shifty Pony posted:

they will be freed from the burden of being able to listen to music and charge their phone at the same time.

nah there will be multi-dongs for that

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Shaggar posted:

nah there will be multi-dongs for that

what happens if the dongles touch?

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
it would be bad.

eric
Apr 27, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
Gonna keep my 6s plus until the headphone jack is back.

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

i know audiophiles who walk around with a little amplifier in an altoids mints tin. pretty sure they won't mind a dongle to get artisan bespoke sound waves.

wide stance
Jan 28, 2011

If there's more than one way to do a job, and one of those ways will result in disaster, then he will do it that way.
The new custom mold IEMs with the pressure relief is legit, can wear them all day.

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

know how when you turn the headphone jack in it's port it will cause the audio to crackle? well apple has fixed that, you can no longer turn the audio jack because it's rectangular.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

PleasureKevin posted:

know how when you turn the headphone jack in it's port it will cause the audio to crackle? well apple has fixed that, you can no longer turn the audio jack because it's rectangular.

this is literally the only good thing i can think of from taking out the headphone port

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
how do i charge a phone and listen to music at the same time

this is a real issue

will there be like special split-dongles for your desk

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

you wont do that anymore and you'll be fine because you'll be using the new airpods

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
"airpods" are not gonna replace headphones dude

not to mention i do not see how having yet another thing to charge resolves the charging problem

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

how do i charge a phone and listen to music at the same time

this is a real issue

will there be like special split-dongles for your desk

i speculate that the new iPhone will charge a lot faster. so if 15 minutes gets you to 75 or 80 charge, then listening to music while charging isn't really a huge deal. iPhone 2017 will probably have wireless charging, so even that shouldn't be a problem in the future.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

"and in 2017 I'll finally lose my virginity"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

"airpods" are not gonna replace headphones dude

not to mention i do not see how having yet another thing to charge resolves the charging problem

another two things

• Locked thread