Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.
Just FYI, adding another player as a contact does essentially nothing. You have to send them a Calling Card from your lodgings to makr them your acquaintance at which point you can rub elbows with high society or get poisoned by your friend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler
Knight Slingers is out for open beta. It was advertised on Summoner Wars' front page so I thought I'd give it a shot.

It takes the concept of Monster Strike but does nothing with it, and adds the worst part of these f2p games within. I'm pretty dulled to stereotype anime waifu with impossible clothing and this game still had me rolling my eyes.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
making an alt just to feed you a bunch of second chance items really is pretty handy

Illiterate Clitoris
Oct 24, 2011

Rafza posted:

Knight Slingers is out for open beta. It was advertised on Summoner Wars' front page so I thought I'd give it a shot.

It takes the concept of Monster Strike but does nothing with it, and adds the worst part of these f2p games within. I'm pretty dulled to stereotype anime waifu with impossible clothing and this game still had me rolling my eyes.

Dang. I got to it through Light and thought the concept to be pretty fun and novel. Seems like all GAMEVIL games are to be avoided? Checking out Monster Strike...

Rapner
May 7, 2013

Am I the only one who doesn't 'get' Fallen London?

HelloWinter
May 27, 2012

"Hey, Nagito, what'cha
thinkin' about?"

"Oh, y'know. Murder stuff."

Rapner posted:

Same here... Maybe because english isn't my primary language or something, but the writing style often confuses me. :(

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

Wooze posted:

Dang. I got to it through Light and thought the concept to be pretty fun and novel. Seems like all GAMEVIL games are to be avoided? Checking out Monster Strike...

dont waste your time, monster strike was fun because you could multiplayer through line or something, now its entirely local so unless you got a group of 4 willing to meet up and play, not worth it

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Rapner posted:

Nope. I tried it out for one lot of actions, and then uninstalled it. It just didn't seem to do anything, not even explain what the hell was going on with the mechanics.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

hooah posted:

Nope. I tried it out for one lot of actions, and then uninstalled it. It just didn't seem to do anything, not even explain what the hell was going on with the mechanics.
A wiki helps a bit, but even the wikis kind of barely touch on the basics and just have a collection of data mining style copies of pages. Even just explaining the four main stats, four main afflictions, and main categories of bulk items would have been a good start. All I got that I didn't have to figure out myself was basically "make numbers go up, and maybe get a house"

It doesn't help that the app is loving slow despite it being a copy of a simple low graphics web game

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
The browser version runs a little better. As long as the mobile version synchronizes properly, the browser will have the same data.

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest
the writing and not knowing what's going on was part of the fun of it for me when i used to play it, to be honest.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
Fallen London's world is one of those rare pieces of fiction that captures an eldritch setting without just straight up copying Lovecraft, which most can't even get it right then. It's meant to be hard to wrap your head around, and there's very few things that make logical sense to our world. It's a fantastic setting and I always love to read and learn more about it, even the little stuff. However, the game as it's designed was just a too grindy for my low tolerance back when I played it in the browser. I'm thinking of giving it another go on mobile since the concept works a little better here, but I just keep remembering the grind I was in just a week or so in and just how much was yet to come.

If anyone wants to read more about Fallen London's world I highly recommend checking out the Sunless Sea LP from here on SA. The thread for it is also worth checking out if you don't think you'll want to explore Fallen London on your own.

dpack_1
Mar 23, 2009

Let another's wounds be your warning
It's definitely a game that just starts to click with you after an hour or two of game play.

There is no direct route you need to take, so you just pick a path, pursue it to the end or til a point where you need a specific item to progress then mark it in your plans and forget about it while you pursue another path.

You can be a jack of all trades or just focus all in one skill.

You pay no attention to all the trinkets and items you get at all unless they are equippable.

I got a bit put off when i saw that some quest lines needed like 500 of X item, but turns out you rack up items faster than you'll know what to do with them. Certain paths, when followed to completion give you HUGE stat gains and hundreds of items as a reward.

Basically it's serving as a nice little distraction for 10-20 mins every few hours, and as it doesn't seem to have a steep progression like other play and wait games i haven't found it quite as grindy even if you do have to repeat certain actions half a dozen times.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?
How do you generate more Bazaar currency? By knowing what you can safely sell off in bulk? I'm afraid to sell anything for fear that I'll need it in the future..

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.
In Fallen London as Trastion.

dpack_1
Mar 23, 2009

New Leaf posted:

How do you generate more Bazaar currency? By knowing what you can safely sell off in bulk? I'm afraid to sell anything for fear that I'll need it in the future..

Foxfire Candle Stubs
Jade Fragments
Rostygold
Shards of Glim
Whispered Hints (though these are also useful for some quest lines)

Basically anything you seem to find you get 20+ of as a reward is safe to sell because an hour or two later you'll have stock piled another 500 of that item.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Fallen London vets: how did you keep track of what you did in the game, and what you learned about the story? The in-game "journal" system doesn't really work for this purpose, so the only thing I've really thought of would be to keep like a physical notebook to write down the stories I do and the little bits of lore I learn along the way. This and the inconsistent, vague UI are getting in the way of me enjoying this game :sigh:

e: also the current version of the native android app is very buggy and slow

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos
Added a bunch of people in Fallen London, I'm in as Bluntzkrieg420. All my options seem to be locked or have a 7% chance of success

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

gently caress You And Diebold posted:

Added a bunch of people in Fallen London, I'm in as Bluntzkrieg420. All my options seem to be locked or have a 7% chance of success

Go to a different area and catch cats or something.

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

uPen posted:

Go to a different area and catch cats or something.

The only place that isn't locked is The Flit, for which I have a 7% chance of success. I don't have lodgings yet and the only option there is for me to charm my way in at a 20% chance of success

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
huh? the 4 starter areas should always be unlocked. the flit is for shadowy 60+.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Tap the compass in the top corner for the city map, you can go to some nicer places from there.

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

Serious Frolicking posted:

huh? the 4 starter areas should always be unlocked. the flit is for shadowy 60+.

Oh nevermind, you have to hit the compass arrow in the top right, I kept going to "open new places" or whatever

mrkillboy
May 13, 2003

"Something witty."
A Mario autorunner got announced at Apple's shindig today, with an iOS release in December and an Android release some time after that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E39ychZKnDI

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
If you ever get the whispered locked chest event, for god's sakes give it to the Zee Captain. Give it to someone else and you will need 3 fate to reverse that decision. So, about $1 to do so.

bunky
Aug 29, 2004

Is anyone playing the newest Lifeline (Crisis Line)? Am I at a fail state here because it feels like I hosed up. spoiler?: http://i.imgur.com/UCNYlip.png
e: nm, I was on the right track

bunky fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Sep 8, 2016

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

dpack_1 posted:

It's definitely a game that just starts to click with you after an hour or two of game play.

There is no direct route you need to take, so you just pick a path, pursue it to the end or til a point where you need a specific item to progress then mark it in your plans and forget about it while you pursue another path.

You can be a jack of all trades or just focus all in one skill.

You pay no attention to all the trinkets and items you get at all unless they are equippable.

I got a bit put off when i saw that some quest lines needed like 500 of X item, but turns out you rack up items faster than you'll know what to do with them. Certain paths, when followed to completion give you HUGE stat gains and hundreds of items as a reward.

Basically it's serving as a nice little distraction for 10-20 mins every few hours, and as it doesn't seem to have a steep progression like other play and wait games i haven't found it quite as grindy even if you do have to repeat certain actions half a dozen times.

Agree with all of this. Takes a little getting used to. It really allows you to develop your persona along the lines that you want, which I'm really enjoying. And for whatever reason I find the app way more palatable than the web version.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

vulturesrow posted:

Agree with all of this. Takes a little getting used to. It really allows you to develop your persona along the lines that you want, which I'm really enjoying. And for whatever reason I find the app way more palatable than the web version.

I think the reason is that gameplay like this is already like a mobile game, whereas desktop gaming is usually much different, more direct.

I'd love it if a game like Urban Dead came out again, but on mobile.

jackchaos
Aug 6, 2008
In fallen as Jackchaos also added a few people!

jackchaos fucked around with this message at 12:37 on Sep 8, 2016

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

mrkillboy posted:

A Mario autorunner got announced at Apple's shindig today, with an iOS release in December and an Android release some time after that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E39ychZKnDI
So you run all the time but you can go backwards a bit? Weird.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

CrashCat posted:

So you run all the time but you can go backwards a bit? Weird.

It's the Mario version of the Rayman run games which are quite good

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.ubisoft.rayman.fiestarun
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.pastagames.ro1mobile

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
hah, i guess classic bowser is a really good boss for infinite runners.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?

vulturesrow posted:

Yeah I kinda like the character I've made. I almost wish I could play a tabletop version of this.. or even have a full PC version with graphics and such. They'd have to vary the events a bit more, but having an open city where I can chase cats and woo Bohemian ladies would be fun.

overseer07
Mar 30, 2003
Pillbug
In Fallen London as Hilarity Ensues. Really interesting game so far.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

overseer07 posted:

In Fallen London as Hilarity Ensues. Really interesting game so far.

I'd love to play it, but since most of my gaming is done on the subway or on the train home which has spotty signal I haven't been able to actually play the game yet.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

$3 and it has ads. Does it force ads or is it for extra currency or whatever? What kind of IAPs does it use?

mrkillboy
May 13, 2003

"Something witty."

Chinook posted:

$3 and it has ads. Does it force ads or is it for extra currency or whatever? What kind of IAPs does it use?

I don't recall ever seeing an ad in Fiesta Run (except for the more games link on the main menu) but the IAPs are for extra currency, which I recall is mainly used for unlocking stuff like skins or spending on helper power ups.

They're both great games but Fiesta Run is the more substantial of the two. There's also a F2P third installment but apparently it's not as good as the first two (I haven't played it personally).

mrkillboy fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Sep 8, 2016

mrkillboy
May 13, 2003

"Something witty."
It looks like the F2P vetsion of Lumines Puzzle and Music is out, in certain countries at least. It's pretty much identical to the premium version minus the classic song pack, though there's an IAP for a new, different song pack which I assume will also come to the paid version soon. The game also doesn't appear to be fully localised into English yet.

Moreau
Jul 26, 2009

Feels like I've been waiting years for the Android version of Fallen London. I've placed far too many hours into Sunless Sea, delicious friends. Anyway, I'm in as Frank Churchill - I've added a few of you, but if I havent feel free to add me. I play pretty regularly on the bus, so I should able to respond to any letters fairly quickly. Just remember: tell the Constables it wasn't me, I didn't do nothing, and anyway - I wasn't even there! I was waiting on an inconvenient aunt...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dpack_1
Mar 23, 2009

Moreau posted:

I was waiting on an inconvenient aunt...

I have 3 tattoos of a fictional aunt's name