Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Bast Relief posted:

To the point of how New Yorkers talk, that's probably either how stupid New Yorkers talk or how regular New Yorkers talk when they aren't having to be polite or professional.

Seriously. If it was "that's just the way New Yorkers talk", Trump would be dropping f-bombs ever 5th word.

edit: also, regarding Phyllis Schlafly dying, I'm not crying about it, especially given what a poo poo year 2016 has been for awesome people dying. I was having a conversation yesterday with some friends of mine, shortly before If found out, and I was like "drat. Prince, Bowie, Gene Wilder, Glen Frey, Morley Safer...can I get a Ted Nugent up in this bitch?"

So I settle for Schlafly for the moment.

edit 2: as long as we're posting scathing obituaries, I'll post Hunter S. Thompson's takedown of Richard Nixon. Excerpts"

Hunter Thompson posted:

If the right people had been in charge of Nixon's funeral, his casket would have been launched into one of those open-sewage canals that empty into the ocean just south of Los Angeles. He was a swine of a man and a jabbering dupe of a president. Nixon was so crooked that he needed servants to help him screw his pants on every morning. Even his funeral was illegal. He was queer in the deepest way. His body should have been burned in a trash bin.

Let there be no mistake in the history books about that. Richard Nixon was an evil man -- evil in a way that only those who believe in the physical reality of the Devil can understand it. He was utterly without ethics or morals or any bedrock sense of decency. Nobody trusted him -- except maybe the Stalinist Chinese, and honest historians will remember him mainly as a rat who kept scrambling to get back on the ship.

Nixon was no more a Saint than he was a Great President. He was more like Sammy Glick than Winston Churchill. He was a cheap crook and a merciless war criminal who bombed more people to death in Laos and Cambodia than the U.S. Army lost in all of World War II, and he denied it to the day of his death. When students at Kent State University, in Ohio, protested the bombing, he connived to have them attacked and slain by troops from the National Guard.

Some people will say that words like scum and rotten are wrong for Objective Journalism -- which is true, but they miss the point. It was the built-in blind spots of the Objective rules and dogma that allowed Nixon to slither into the White House in the first place. He looked so good on paper that you could almost vote for him sight unseen. He seemed so all-American, so much like Horatio Alger, that he was able to slip through the cracks of Objective Journalism. You had to get Subjective to see Nixon clearly, and the shock of recognition was often painful.

Whole thing here:

http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/1994/07/he-was-a-crook/308699/

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Sep 6, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

BiggerBoat posted:

Seriously. If it was "that's just the way New Yorkers talk", Trump would be dropping f-bombs ever 5th word.

It's the Dilbert idiot not actually ever interacting with people and thinking New Yorkers all act like caricatures from the Critic from 25 years ago who are just constantly yelling at each other and have no self-awareness. The majority of people who live in NYC think Trump is an oaf who talks like a moron

Spun Dog
Sep 21, 2004

Smellrose

Good Citizen posted:

Some sources have reported that she's leaving because she felt troubled by the culture Ailes left behind. No loving poo poo, lady, we all are. Good job abandoning ship when he finally decides to drop a steaming log somewhere that actually effects you, I guess?

Looking forward to all of the stories about the hard hitting investigative reporters at Fox who didn't know there was anything wrong for all the decades they worked there.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

BROCK LESBIAN posted:

Yeah I don't know I accompanied a friend to an OBGYN because she didn't want to go alone and I'm a dude. I just sat in the waiting room looking at my phone while the doc was diddling her vag or whatever?

It's also entirely possible that he was her ride there and didn't want to sit in the car and wait. The waiting room is probably air conditioned and has things to read. Sure as hell beats the car.

Von Sloneker
Jul 6, 2009

as if all this was something more
than another footnote on a postcard from nowhere,
another chapter in the handbook for exercises in futility

Jack Gladney posted:

Is Crowder anything aside from a twitterman? Is he on tv or something? I only ever read about him here in social media form.

He has some kind of video podcast. I wouldn't recommend watching it. I sampled a bit of a debate he had with someone on the left, and it must've been so bad I banished it from my brain because I remember neither the topic of the debate nor who his opponent was.

e: I mean who wouldn't want to sit through this

Also, regarding Pete Davidson and 9/11 jokes, the first one I heard was told by Davidson himself -- at the Bieber roast, he turned to Snoop Dogg and said, "Soul Plane was the worst experience of my life involving planes."

Von Sloneker fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Sep 7, 2016

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/scrowder/status/773280559816667136

Mr Ice Cream Glove fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Sep 7, 2016

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
The first thing that comes to mind w/r/t the Hillary's health stuff isn't "sexism," it's "obnoxious bullshit please shut up already." Though it could be both, IDK.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

More proof Sean Hannity is a repugnant rear end in a top hat

https://twitter.com/brianstelter/status/751841397322420224
https://twitter.com/seanhannity/status/751850564913332224

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

What a piece of poo poo.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Just watched the roast and Coulter really ate it.

I love how Roast turned into Coulter Roast

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Good Citizen posted:

Some sources have reported that she's leaving because she felt troubled by the culture Ailes left behind. No loving poo poo, lady, we all are. Good job abandoning ship when he finally decides to drop a steaming log somewhere that actually effects you, I guess?

The comments sections I was reading today were littered with poo poo about how ugly Greta Van Sustwren is and how she's jealous that she never got sexually harassed. Even forgetting for a second how terrible of an opinion that is to have and is apropo of nothing, she looks like a perfectly attractive woman to me.

Never read the comments.

Speaking of that though, I've posted before about playing a sort of game with comments sections where I count how many posts it takes for some idiot to equate whatever the story is about to the fault of liberalism, however unrelated the story is to politics. Its insane even more fun the less political the story is. A woman who had (I think) the first ever face transplant died and I swear to God like ten posts in it had something to with Hillary Clinton and liberals.

Some dude in Australia got killed by a shark while kite surfing and by the second or third page it was some poo poo about environmentalism and global warming. Just nuts.

ToxicSlurpee posted:

It's also entirely possible that he was her ride there and didn't want to sit in the car and wait. The waiting room is probably air conditioned and has things to read. Sure as hell beats the car.

I mean, even beyond that though, what's so OUTRAGEOUS and offensive about a person sitting in a loving doctor's office with someone? Where will it END?!

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Sep 7, 2016

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

Good Citizen posted:

Saying that a woman working for a company where sexual abuse is happening should just quit in order to make a stand is a dumb and bad opinion that you should be ashamed of. Yeah she's a scientologist with bad opinions. She still deserves a work environment free of sexual abuse, and she shouldn't have to give up her nightly show in order to make that a reality.

You're talking about just voluntarily crossing a guy who worked for Nixon who used the FNC budget as a slush fund to hire private investigators to dig up dirt on a journalist doing an unauthorized biography. So I think any women working at FNC can be excused for not blowing the whistle earlier (as long as they're weren't enabling Ailes behavior).

Josh Marshall at TPM is reporting that it may have had to do with her playing hardball negotiating a pay raise after Gretchen Carlson accused Ailes publicly. I guess that's implying she may have tried to use something connected to Ailes as leverage, but :iiam:

Apparently Greta van Susteren's husband is saying also that there may be litigation over her firing.

So since Ailes departure, unsurprisingly, not much has changed. Murdoch is a snake that put Bill Shine in charge despite him and Dianne Brandi being implicated countless times in these sexual harassment claims. This is like the hacking scandal. It's just getting started.

ErIog fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Sep 7, 2016

swampland
Oct 16, 2007

Dear Mr Cave, if you do not release the bats we will be forced to take legal action

Von Sloneker posted:

e: I mean who wouldn't want to sit through this

I feel like vomiting

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Crowder,

You lost ANY moral high ground in this when you wrote an article calling the Madam Secretary a 'bitch".

You are legitmatey a sexist.

gently caress off and go stick your dick in a cheese grater.

Yours truly

Fuzzyskinner

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

ErIog posted:

Saying that a woman working for a company where sexual abuse is happening should just quit in order to make a stand is a dumb and bad opinion that you should be ashamed of. Yeah she's a scientologist with bad opinions. She still deserves a work environment free of sexual abuse, and she shouldn't have to give up her nightly show in order to make that a reality.

You're talking about just voluntarily crossing a guy who worked for Nixon who used the FNC budget as a slush fund to hire private investigators to dig up dirt on a journalist doing an unauthorized biography. So I think any women working at FNC can be excused for not blowing the whistle earlier (as long as they're weren't enabling Ailes behavior).

Josh Marshall at TPM is reporting that it may have had to do with her playing hardball negotiating a pay raise after Gretchen Carlson accused Ailes publicly. I guess that's implying she may have tried to use something connected to Ailes as leverage, but :iiam:

Apparently Greta van Susteren's husband is saying also that there may be litigation over her firing.

So since Ailes departure, unsurprisingly, not much has changed. Murdoch is a snake that put Bill Shine in charge despite him and Dianne Brandi being implicated countless times in these sexual harassment claims. This is like the hacking scandal. It's just getting started.

My comment was implying that she should have quit because Ailes' editorial direction was creating a toxic culture, separate from the sexual abuse.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Good Citizen posted:

My comment was implying that she should have quit because Ailes' editorial direction was creating a toxic culture, separate from the sexual abuse.

Everything about Fox News is toxic.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

More proof Sean Hannity is a repugnant rear end in a top hat

I mean not that I needed more proof of that but it's nice to know that nothing has changed.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Aesop Poprock posted:

Conservatives as a whole don't understand humor, which becomes a lot more obvious when you see a conservative "comedian" like Crowder in action. Their poo poo is always based on their actual prejudices and dislike of things so when they see poo poo like roasts targeting their right wing kin they can't help but feel like it's coming from the same place their jokes come from.

Not that there aren't liberal comedians who get super-personal out of sheer dislike of a political opponent, or decent conservative humorists, but it's not how comedy works in general.

I find that there's an inverse relationship between having a good sense of humor and how worried you are about being perfect and correct all the time. Humor is our way of accepting that the world isn't perfect.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

FuzzySkinner posted:

Crowder,

You lost ANY moral high ground in this when you wrote an article calling the Madam Secretary a 'bitch".

You are legitmatey a sexist.

gently caress off and go stick your dick in a cheese grater.

Yours truly

Fuzzyskinner

I think we have long proved that he never once had any real principles to violate. He just says whatever he thinks is properly edgy to spite the vague group he labels "liberals" for his deluded audience to nod and agree with him. He's always been a soulless puppet saying exactly what the right wing wants to hear.

Ivan Shitskin
Nov 29, 2002

Aesop Poprock posted:

Conservatives as a whole don't understand humor, which becomes a lot more obvious when you see a conservative "comedian" like Crowder in action. Their poo poo is always based on their actual prejudices and dislike of things so when they see poo poo like roasts targeting their right wing kin they can't help but feel like it's coming from the same place their jokes come from.

Not that there aren't liberal comedians who get super-personal out of sheer dislike of a political opponent, or decent conservative humorists, but it's not how comedy works in general.

Liberals don't have a monopoly on humor. The social function of humor is to identify in-groups and out-groups, as well as reinforce in-group bonding. If I tell a racist joke, and you're offended by it, then you're a part of the out-group, and not who the joke is intended for. Humor, even among liberals, usually comes at the expense of someone else. This website we are posting on was built almost entirely on mocking and ridiculing other people. It's not quite an issue of "punching up" or down either, as so many of Somethingawful's targets over the years were not powerful people at all (like all the 9/11 jokes or making fun of random internet people, Reddit, Tumblr, etc).

As horrifying as it might seem, Crowder does have an audience. He has 453,000 subscribers to his Youtube channel, and almost 80 million total views of his videos. His twitter has 258k followers. The handful of people who read this thread are certainly not "80% of his viewers" like someone mentioned before. If you click on his videos and scroll through the comments, people do find it funny. None of us in this thread are even remotely conservative, so it seems bizarre to us.

Ivan Shitskin fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Sep 7, 2016

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Kenzie posted:

Liberals don't have a monopoly on humor. The social function of humor is to identify in-groups and out-groups, as well as reinforce in-group bonding. If I tell a racist joke, and you're offended by it, then you're a part of the out-group, and not who the joke is intended for. Humor, even among liberals, usually comes at the expense of someone else. This website we are posting on was built almost entirely on mocking and ridiculing other people. It's not quite an issue of "punching up" or down either, as so many of Somethingawful's targets over the years were not powerful people at all (like all the 9/11 jokes or making fun of random internet people, Reddit, Tumblr, etc).

As horrifying as it might seem, Crowder does have an audience. He has 453,000 subscribers to his Youtube channel, and almost 80 million total views of his videos. His twitter has 258k followers. The handful of people who read this thread are certainly not "80% of his viewers" like someone mentioned before. If you click on his videos and scroll through the comments, people do find it funny. None of us in this thread are even remotely conservative, so it seems bizarre to us.

Counterpoint: The pain that was the half-hour news hour.

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer

Aesop Poprock posted:

It's the Dilbert idiot not actually ever interacting with people and thinking New Yorkers all act like caricatures from the Critic from 25 years ago who are just constantly yelling at each other and have no self-awareness. The majority of people who live in NYC think Trump is an oaf who talks like a moron

It's also important to note when he mentions "That's just the way new yorkers talk" he lived in a small town in upstate, and was hundreds of miles from NYC his entire young life, before moving to california at age 18

swampland
Oct 16, 2007

Dear Mr Cave, if you do not release the bats we will be forced to take legal action
Hahaha what a cowardly piece of poo poo

http://nation.foxnews.com/2016/09/06/radio-host-mark-levin-reverses-course-im-gonna-vote-donald-trump

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

Master Shake has always been a cowardly, craven opportunist with no principles. This makes perfect sense.

swampland
Oct 16, 2007

KiteAuraan posted:

Master Shake has always been a cowardly, craven opportunist with no principles. This makes perfect sense.

It's very true, I mean just look at long he lied about being a talking cartoon cup. The man has no shame

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

Holding combat and contact sports, two traditinally denied things for american women as a point against them is so loving scummy and will always be.

"Here, gently caress you, no infantry for you, and just play flag football. "

"Why can't you take toughness!??!!?!"

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted
I know what he's trying to say, but it just comes off to me that periods don't affect anybody meaningfully enough to exclude them from those activities. Again, I know he doesn't mean that though.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Vahakyla posted:

"Why can't you take toughness!??!!?!"

It's not in the skill tree for the vagina-haver class

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Kenzie posted:

Liberals don't have a monopoly on humor.

It's true. A lot of the old Dennis Leary and Dennis Miller poo poo was super conservative, along with a lot of standup that's coming out right now. The problem with Crowder is that he's not funny and people are his fans as a way to signal to others that they are true believers. Part of Crowder's problem is that he's a coward and that to be really funny you have to take risks. Instead he just sits there in his safe space, making "edgy" comments like the OB-GYN one that are neither funny nor insightful. But his safe "edginess" is just the kind of thing that a conservative can feel safe reposting and liking so it plays perfectly in social media.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.

HootTheOwl posted:

Counterpoint: The pain that was the half-hour news hour.

gently caress you i had that blocked out of my memory.

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

TildeATH posted:

It's true. A lot of the old Dennis Leary and Dennis Miller poo poo was super conservative

Miller didn't make that turn until after 9/11. If you watch his SNL news bits, or his HBO special from way back, he was definitely liberal. Some of the smacks he got in at Reagan and Bush 1.0 were devastatingly hilarious.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Edgy humor is the weakest form of humor because you rely on people being shocked instead of having a well-constructed joke. I think it's kind of why edgy comedians really don't stick around long, unless their jokes are constructed well.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Good Citizen posted:

Greta left because the culture just didn't feel right without Ailes there to blackmail her into sucking cock

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

Greta left because the culture just didn't feel right without Ailes there to blackmail her into sucking cock

keep going, I'm almost there

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Kenzie posted:

I think people in this thread tend to mistake Crowder for Walsh, who really does barely have an audience outside of people mocking him on Twitter

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

If I were Megyn Kelly I would demand a large raise to stay with the network, now is the time

Plus she apparently was harassed like the rest were....

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

Uhh a bit late here, but what wars, manual labor, or contact sports does Crowder engage in. His only "job" is to whine about liberals on the internet.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Heard Beck putting Yonopopolis and the alt-right on blast this morning. Described him as a "scared 13-year old boy".

Beck is nuts but I feel like he's ideologically consistent, at least. He's probably the only mainstream conservative talking head I'd refer to as a "real conservative", not that that's something to aspire to.

Axetrain posted:

Uhh a bit late here, but what wars, manual labor, or contact sports does Crowder engage in. His only "job" is to whine about liberals on the internet.

Blogging is a full contact sport

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Crowder and Walsh have the easiest job.

Google Feminism, Abortion, Transgender and click News

Now write an article about it using gifs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Crowder and Walsh have the easiest job.

Google Feminism, Abortion, Transgender and click News

Now write an article about it using gifs that someone else made.

Fixed that for you.