Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Evek
Apr 26, 2002

"It's okay. I wouldn't remember me either."

Gonz posted:

All I want is a Federation computer Siri voice. No disrespect to Susan Bennett.

Can I get a Cardassian computer voice instead?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

8-Bit Scholar posted:

by the time it hits Season 2 it never stops picking up speed.

Aside from all those Vic Fontaine shaped speed bumps.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Evek posted:

Can I get a Cardassian computer voice instead?

Bajoran worker, your attention please. Your attempt to ignore this call is going to fail. You are a valuable worker, and we wish you no harm. However, if you do not answer this call from your Cardassian supervisors, we will be forced to take action. You have thirty seconds to make your decision.

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008
A friend of mine has decided to check out Star Trek, having never seen an episode (but being a nerd of the type who will probably really like it). She wants to watch a handful of representative episodes from each series, so no Big Important Formula-Breaking Episodes like Far Beyond the Stars or The Inner Light.

What would be some good candidates for this list of Fairly Regular But Good episodes?

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Rhyno posted:

Aside from all those Vic Fontaine shaped speed bumps.

He's my favorite singer

It's Only a Paper Moon is literally among the best Trek episodes ever and it's loving Nog and Vic Fontaine

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Gonz posted:

All I want is a Federation computer Siri voice. No disrespect to Susan Bennett.

The OK Google voice command system on Android was codenamed Majel whilst it was in development.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

showbiz_liz posted:

A friend of mine has decided to check out Star Trek, having never seen an episode (but being a nerd of the type who will probably really like it). She wants to watch a handful of representative episodes from each series, so no Big Important Formula-Breaking Episodes like Far Beyond the Stars or The Inner Light.

What would be some good candidates for this list of Fairly Regular But Good episodes?

DS9 Season 1: Emissary (watch first), The Storyteller, The Forsaken (romantic angle might appeal), Duet
Season 2: Rules of Acquisition, Sanctuary (to get why everybody hates Bajorans), Whispers, Paradise, Blood Oath (best pre-Worf Jadzia episode).
Season 3: The House of Quark, Civil Defense, Past Tense (two-parter, fantastic though), Visionary. Season 3 has too many amazing episodes, just watch the whole thing
Season 4: The Visitor, Hippocratic Oath, Our Man, Bashir, Bar Association, Rules of Engagement, Hard Time.
Season 5: The Ship, Looking For Par'Mach in All the Wrong Places, Trials and Tribbleations (show TOS Tribble episode first), The Ascent, Children of Time, Empok Nor.
Season 6: You Are Cordially Invited, The Magnificent Ferengi, One Little Ship, Honor Among Thieves, IN THE PALE MOONLIGHT (Best episode of DS9)
Season 7: Take Me Out to the Holosuite, Once More Unto the Breach, Badda-Bing, Badda-Bang, Field of Fire, It's Only a Paper Moon

Bolded titles are absolute Must-Watches, I'd reccomend starting in Season 1, watch the pilot episode Emissary, then you can move into any season 1-3 episode; watch those ones before moving on to 4-7.

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!

this is what the Virtual Voyager mode in Elite Force says about the Quantum Torpedoes.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Naomi Wildman is making this Voyager rewatch very difficult.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

showbiz_liz posted:

A few ideas:

TOS: Balance of Terror, The Devil In The Dark, A Piece of the Action, The Changeling
TNG: Peak Performance, Darmok, Elementary Dear Data, Remember Me

In order: a starship battle, a story about learning to communicate, a more lighthearted one, and one where they get to be all clever and figure something out.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I've been slowly working my way through Voyager and I finally found a run of decent episodes that I liked; Pathfinder, Blink of an Eye, Ashes to Ashes, and Lifeline. Pathfinder and Lifeline are Barclay episodes, Blink of an Eye actually tries something novel and does a decent job of it, and Ashes to Ashes is carried by a guest star who's more likable than half the main cast.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
The Original Series
Balance of Terror, The Galileo Seven, Arena, The Devil in the Dark, The Doomsday Machine

The Next Generation
Devil's Due, Clues, Darmok, Disaster, Cause and Effect

Deep Space Nine
Emissary, The Forsaken, Profit and Loss, Civil Defense, Starship Down

Voyager
The Thaw, Worst Case Scenario, Year of Hell, Bride of Chaotica!, Blink of an Eye

Can't help with Enterprise.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

I'm not seeing any City on the Edge of Forever in these TOS lists... :colbert:

Voyager's best episodes are the ones that generally don't have anything to do with Voyager, or involve everything going to hell and then the reset button being hit. Or Warlord Janeway.

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007
Who is Admiral Aken Bosch, and what is that old scoundrel up to?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jtn3vMUBqjs

baseball in the holosuite sure is different

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)

Kazinsal posted:

I'm not seeing any City on the Edge of Forever in these TOS lists... :colbert:

Voyager's best episodes are the ones that generally don't have anything to do with Voyager, or involve everything going to hell and then the reset button being hit. Or Warlord Janeway.

Can't speak for anyone else but I tried to aim for full ensemble episodes featuring the ships/station and COTEOF is mostly Kirk and Spock by themselves not on the Enterprise. Profit and Loss on DS9 admittedly doesn't fit my formula but you should probably showcase a good episode that's carried by the secondary cast since that's kinda DS9's thing.

Edit: it was actually moderately difficult to find full ensemble ds9 episodes that AREN'T arc episodes as well. They utilize the hell out of that huge cast. Many of the best ds9 episodes are razor sharp focused on only one or two people for the A-plot.

primaltrash fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Sep 7, 2016

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Fair enough.

If we're going ensemble, we should also throw in The Killing Game for VOY, because it involves the cast playing characters who aren't rear end and the "holonovel" plot isn't bad. And it's a the-Doctor-saves-the-day episode.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
I was just talking to a friend about this. The Improbable Cause/The Die Is Cast two-parter in season 3 is almost entirely carried by Odo, Garak, and a completely new character in Tain. That's crazy yo.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

armoredgorilla posted:

The Original Series
Balance of Terror, The Galileo Seven, Arena, The Devil in the Dark, The Doomsday Machine

The Next Generation
Devil's Due, Clues, Darmok, Disaster, Cause and Effect

Deep Space Nine
Emissary, The Forsaken, Profit and Loss, Civil Defense, Starship Down

Voyager
The Thaw, Worst Case Scenario, Year of Hell, Bride of Chaotica!, Blink of an Eye

Can't help with Enterprise.

Enterprise
The Andorian Incident, Carbon Creek, Similitude, The Forge/Awakening/Kir'Shara

A good introductory episode, a light-hearted one, an ethical episode, and a strong multi-parter. It's tough to recommend episodes from season 3 because nearly everything ties into the Xindi arc, and it's tough to list things from season 4 because they're almost all multi-parters. You could swap that last Vulcan arc for the Andorian arc in Babel One/United/Aenar. The latter would give you more of Shran and a decent look at pre-TOS Romulans.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

I kept having to stop myself from suggesting episodes where Something Is Mysteriously Different. Things like Yesterday's Enterprise, Living Witness, or especially Parallels. Hell, even Mirror Mirror. They're good episodes, but you won't really appreciate them unless you already know the normal "baseline". I was hesitant to suggest Remember Me because it kind of falls into this category too. But it doesn't really rely on the viewer being that familiar with things, and it comes on gradually enough (and with Beverly's reactions as a guide), that I think you wouldn't be missing anything even if it was the first one you ever saw.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

i think my favorite voyager episode is the one where the organ harvesting aliens attack voyager and start killing people left and right and stealing their kidneys, the entire bridge crew gets wiped out, and naomi wildman or whatever the baby's name was died during childbirth...but there is a duplicate voyager and harry kim survives and saves the day somehow. "deadlock" is the name i think.

another one is where they try to get all the kaazon leaders together to negotiate a peace or something and end up joining up with space nazis and making even more enemies in the process.

Mulaney Power Move fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Sep 7, 2016

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Mulaney Power Move posted:

i think my favorite voyager episode is the one where the organ harvesting aliens attack voyager and start killing people left and right and stealing their kidneys, the entire bridge crew gets wiped out, and naomi wildman or whatever the baby's name was died during childbirth...but there is a duplicate voyager and harry kim survives and saves the day somehow. "deadlock" is the name i think.

another one is where they try to get all the kaazon leaders together to negotiate a peace or something and end up joining up with space nazis and making even more enemies in the process.

Voyager would have been a lot better if it was a sitcom.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
Does anyone else feel like the scene where the Klingons attack DS9 was imagined by the writers to be more like the Klingon fleet approaching as a big wave, rather than as the constant swarm of ships circling the station as depicted? I feel like the dialogue just isn't quite in time with what's happening in the visuals.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
There are a lot of television series that can be improved by swapping their music with Curb Your Enthusiasm's wholesale and the Treks are no exception.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

WickedHate posted:

Voyager would have been a lot better if it was a sitcom.

actually if they cut out the duplicate voyager part to that one episode and ended it with harry beaming himself into the sun so the alien bastards can't steal his pancreas, then i think that would have been a good end to the series.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Does anyone else feel like the scene where the Klingons attack DS9 was imagined by the writers to be more like the Klingon fleet approaching as a big wave, rather than as the constant swarm of ships circling the station as depicted? I feel like the dialogue just isn't quite in time with what's happening in the visuals.

This may just be me, but I sort of saw all of DS9 operating on a much, MUCH larger scale than they depict.

There's an episode where they have I think Jake and Bashir stuck in the midst of a war zone while the Federation is fighting the Klingons. Naturally most of the war scenes are happening outside of the cave they are in, and you only have four or five extras with guns to have as enemy Klingons, but the dialogue, the descriptions of the battles, and the general tone of it all suggest a Warhammer 40k-scale war, with Klingons enacting incredible acts of genocide and violence as they sweep across the planet like Mongols, Federation troops totally outgunned and pressed to desperation.

DS9 tells and doesn't show to incredible effect. I feel like for television, this ought to have a new term. Doctor Who is the original master of this, managing to take echoey sound stages and warhouse sets and transforming them into myriads alien worlds, alternate dimensions, strange timelines, etc. In fact, a First Doctor (maybe Second) episode has the Doctor and co end up in a gap between dimensions, exploring essentially a space outside of space, and this is demonstrated with basically a cheap, cheap sound stage set, nothing but white walls and floor, a little smoke, some cardboard walls...and it works, perhaps even better than a great special effects effort would, precisely because it looks so cheap and weird that it sells the weirdness of the setting.

Making a lot with a little is one of the wonderful things television does best.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

i never noticed that. i thought the visuals were showing waves of smaller ships being sent in to strafe the station and the bigger ships hanging back, except when they get close enough to take out the shields and then stand off. i imagine there was probably a lot of stuff they imagined there that they couldn't really show so maybe that's why it comes off that way. like why don't the klingons immediately start blowing up the bridge when the shields are down? if i was a spaceship commander i would always target the bridge as soon as the shields are down.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Doctor Who is the original master of this, managing to take echoey sound stages and warhouse sets and transforming them into myriads alien worlds, alternate dimensions, strange timelines, etc.

Try Sapphire & Steel, a Doctor Who contemporary with even less budget.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I hadn't watched Emissary in nearly a decade, and it's easy to forget how bold that pilot is. You open with that brutal teaser of Sisko's life being destroyed at Wolf 359, you have your new protagonist chew out the (then) face of your franchise, and then you drape the entire premise of your show in faith and spirituality, something Star Trek had rarely touched on before that.

It's also incredible how Avery Brooks had pretty much already nailed the Sisko character from that very first scene.

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

This is really common in every iteration of Trek. The most jarring ones are when they act like a ship is already moving, but then they show it speeding up from being stationary, or vice versa.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

showbiz_liz posted:

I will take this opportunity to shamelessly self promote my podcast's Essential Star Trek episode. We had Trek author Dayton Ward on to discuss the 24 essential hours of Trek across the franchise.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
No must-see TNG list is complete without The Inner Light, but that's probably best for later, after she's comfortable with the characters.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

If your cable provider has MeTV, they're going to be showing the first episode of TOS along with the original pilot, hosted throughout by Svengoolie, this Saturday. Should be cool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uSvPVNNVX0Y

Echo Video
Jan 17, 2004

showbiz_liz posted:

I was on a podcast episode about this: https://academytruants.tumblr.com/post/132454432948/episode-007-one-of-us-how-do-you-introduce#notes

They only watched three, but the five I had picked out were:
• TOS: Mirror Mirror
• TNG: Q Who
• TNG: Captain's Holiday
• DS9: The Wire
• DS9: In the Cards

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Kazinsal posted:

Or Warlord Janeway.
I think Living Witness is the one where aliens in the future have this hosed up view of Voyager as a killship. That belongs on the list.

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

showbiz_liz posted:

Original series (that people haven't mentioned yet):
First Season:
The Corbomite Maneuver (great character piece with a classic :wtc: tos ending)
The Conscience of the King (because TOS never needed weird aliens or space battles to be dramatic as gently caress)
Balance of Terror (I know people said this one already, but drat it, it's my favorite episode and everyone should see it.)
Shore Leave (Because you need at least one episode where crazy inexplicable things are happening. Bonus points for being like the only time Sulu and McCoy have a real conversation.)
The Squire of Gothos (my favorite godlike entity episode)
Return of the Archons (if you haven't seen Kirk talk at least one computer to death, you haven't seen TOS. The Changeling is better, but it's a bottle episode.)
Space Seed (Khan!)
Errand of Mercy (A meh godlike-entity episode, but essential because it's the first appearance of the Klingons.

Second Season:
Amok Time (Spock's in the mood)
Mirror, Mirror (Even if this was your very first episode you'd still know what was going on, because they do introduce the mirror universe well, but it's probably best to watch a few others first -- and at least one with Checkov -- before diving in.)
The Doomsday Machine (Really high stakes and you gotta love that crazy Commodore.)
Journey to Babel (Spock's parents! Also the only TOS episode that actually explains what the United Federation of Planets is.)
[The Trouble With Tribbles (Another Klingon episode and peak comedy TOS. You might be able to skip Errand of Mercy if you watch this one.)

Third Season:
Spectre of the Gun (The very best "repurposed sets" episode. Genuinely creepy. Also Checkov dies.)
The Tholian Web (Cool weird aliens, crazy space stuff, Kirk dies.)
Plato's Stepchildren (A mediocre episode with more godlike aliens, but hey first interracial kiss on TV, if you're into that sort of thing.)
Let That be Your Last Battlefield (Heavy-handed racism allegory, but genuinely affecting. TOS at its preachiest, but worth seeing.)
The Mark of Gideon (Strange, unsettling, and vaguely preposterous. Plus Kirk meets a girl. Just like a lot of other third season episodes only not as crap.)

Anyway, that list is too long and is still missing some good 'uns (like Menagerie), so I've bolded a few highlights.
Comedy "why are you doing this to me?" option: Miri, The Alternative Factor, The Omega Glory, Catspaw, Metamorphosis, Spock's Brain, The Paradise Syndrome, And the Children Shall Lead, The Lights of Zetar, The Way to Eden, Turnabout Intruder.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I genuinely love Spock's Brain, but it's definitely not an episode for a newbie.

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

Oh yeah I love Spock's Brain on a lot of levels, but TOS's reputation for extreme cheesiness scares off a lot of newcomers, so it's best to ween them in gradually. Incidentally, I know it's a little hypocritical given some of the stuff that did make my list, but I'm not sure about Arena and Devil in the Dark as TOS introductions. The lizard suit and homemade cannon in Arena and the practically endless redshirt massacre (plus glowing plastic Horta) in Devil are so patently ridiculous that it's kind of hard to say, "no, seriously this is smart, thoughtful scifi" afterward, even though it is. The Changeling is likewise a classic, but a bottle episode where a robot thinking machine flies around killing the world's stupidest security officers (and mind wiping Uhura) while shouting "faulty!" might be a little much for people. I skipped over most of the Kirk In Love and Planet of Hats episodes for the same reason.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

I love "Shore Leave" because of what it says about Kirk's academy days. He had this one irritating rival who would always be pranking him, and that rival was the single most Irish person ever.

Oh, and also this guys' idea of a prank was to jump around like an idiot and sucker punch people.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

remusclaw posted:

Oh, and also this guys' idea of a prank was to jump around like an idiot and sucker punch people.

remusclaw posted:

that rival was the single most Irish person ever.

This checks out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Finnegan should have been in the reboot.