Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/PykeA/status/768788901792247808

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames

That's so typical in the creative field. Really pisses me off. I need full time people at my agency for all the creative stuff and they want to hire freelancers instead. Sad!

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

I found a statistic: 100%
The number of 29 hour jobs that make you work more than 29 hours with no benefits

Princess Di
Apr 23, 2016

by zen death robot

theflyingexecutive posted:

I found a statistic: 100%
The number of 29 hour jobs that make you work more than 29 hours with no benefits

I can corroborate that statement.

That has been my experience as well.:morning:

CSM
Jan 29, 2014

56th Motorized Infantry 'Mariupol' Brigade
Seh' die Welt in Trummern liegen
http://www.theonion.com/article/nat...SocialMarketing

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Maybe the job has other benefits such as seeing Claire give the nerds swirles each week?

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

Princess Di posted:

I can corroborate that statement.

That has been my experience as well.:morning:

It checks out. :(

Double-checked and it looks like the Trump campaign got their ballot snafu resolved in MN based on the sample ballots in our state; but where's my polling on the other candidates Nate! :argh: Rocky's on the rise, I can tell!

It also made me realize we got an amendment on the ballot this year!

"Shall the Minnesota Constitution be amended to remove state lawmakers' power to set their own salaries, and instead establish an independent, citizens-only council to prescribe salaries of lawmakers?"

Expecting that one to get passed on a landslide.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

I personally believe that only non-citizens should be on that council.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Tayter Swift posted:

Congrats Nate you made it

sperg is five letters

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Chokes McGee posted:

sperg is five letters

:five:

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Jesus. Grounds for suicide. Or manslaughter. Which ever.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Helical Nightmares posted:

Jesus. Grounds for suicide. Or manslaughter. Which ever.

I sort of hoped they played that song over the office PA when harry arrived at work.

etalian has issued a correction as of 22:06 on Sep 5, 2016

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

etalian posted:

I sort of hoped they played that song over the office PA when harry arrived at work.

They talked about playing the song on repeat in one of the podcasts.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Vox Nihili posted:

lmao

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

In the last podcast, they interviewed Frank Luntz, who asked if there was any evidence that Trump's supporters are racist. I thought it was going to be a "says who?" moment, but the 538 guy waffled a bit, and then mentioned some comparison between Trump and Rubio supporters back in February. It was pathetic.

EDIT: Also, even though the Trump/Rubio supporter comparison was weak, Luntz just said it was "bullshit", and then they moved on, as though that was a valid and decisive argument.

Inferior Third Season has issued a correction as of 11:01 on Sep 6, 2016

Peztopiary
Mar 16, 2009

by exmarx
They respect Luntz as a pollster. Which is unfortunate, but not particularly surprising. They're pretty milquetoast.

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches

Inferior Third Season posted:

In the last podcast, they interviewed Frank Luntz, who asked if there was any evidence that Trump's supporters are racist. I thought it was going to be a "says who?" moment, but the 538 guy waffled a bit, and then mentioned some comparison between Trump and Rubio supporters back in February. It was pathetic.

EDIT: Also, even though the Trump/Rubio supporter comparison was weak, Luntz just said it was "bullshit", and then they moved on, as though that was a valid and decisive argument.

Yeah, it was pretty pitiful. He seemed caught completely off guard by a boilerplate "I'm offended you're even bringing up race" line. Like, what, did you expect Frank Luntz of all people to be ready to speak plainly about that? Maybe in addition to showing up to an interview with a sorta-relevant poll, you have stuff the guy himself previously said to the Atlantic or Fox News or speaking at colleges or what have you on the subject you're interviewing him about? Luntz's own work provides all you'd need for a followup, if you're too polite to bring up the fact that the party kinda nominated a guy who keeps doing a racism.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

eviltastic posted:

Yeah, it was pretty pitiful. He seemed caught completely off guard by a boilerplate "I'm offended you're even bringing up race" line. Like, what, did you expect Frank Luntz of all people to be ready to speak plainly about that? Maybe in addition to showing up to an interview with a sorta-relevant poll, you have stuff the guy himself previously said to the Atlantic or Fox News or speaking at colleges or what have you on the subject you're interviewing him about? The guy's own work provides all you'd need for a followup, if you're too polite to bring up the fact that the party kinda nominated a guy who keeps doing a racism.

What the gently caress. These guys need to stick to statistics and quit being interviewers.

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches
Relevant part starts at 22 minutes if anyone doesn't want to sit through the whole podcast. He seems geared up to challenge a narrative Luntz is pushing and then just...folds. "It's bullshit!" "Ok."

This is the Atlantic piece I was referencing. http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2014/01/the-agony-of-frank-luntz/282766/

quote:

It was what Luntz heard from the American people that scared him. They were contentious and argumentative. They didn't listen to each other as they once had. They weren't interested in hearing other points of view. They were divided one against the other, black vs. white, men vs. women, young vs. old, rich vs. poor. "They want to impose their opinions rather than express them," is the way he describes what he saw. "And they're picking up their leads from here in Washington." Haven't political disagreements always been contentious, I ask? "Not like this," he says. "Not like this."
But strangely, some problems with the electorate and politicians in Obama's America that Luntz very publicly wrung his hands about are really hard for him to find in that portion of it that happen to support the Republican nominee now that we find ourselves electing the next person for the job. Must be a weird polling thing, maybe some journalists who like to focus on numbers and methodology should look into that.

eviltastic has issued a correction as of 07:55 on Sep 7, 2016

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames
Frank Luntz is awful, but at least he admits he's a whore. That doesn't redeem him or anything, but I think if the liberal base paid him nicely, he'd happily make some new language to help get liberal ideas over with the public. He'd work his magic and rename "Universal Health Case" to a new term like "A Really Good Idea" or whatever.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Jewel Repetition posted:

What the gently caress. These guys need to quit

FTFY

Peztopiary
Mar 16, 2009

by exmarx

fart blood posted:

Frank Luntz is awful, but at least he admits he's a whore. That doesn't redeem him or anything, but I think if the liberal base paid him nicely, he'd happily make some new language to help get liberal ideas over with the public. He'd work his magic and rename "Universal Health Case" to a new term like "A Really Good Idea" or whatever.

He's a true believer. His entire life is devoted to getting Republicans elected, and he would rather die alone than devote any time to other things than getting Republicans elected. His apparent moderation has more to do with a psychotic break (induced by Obama's second term) and subsequent dimming of ability than any desire for anything but Republican rule. http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2014/01/the-agony-of-frank-luntz/282766/

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Vox Nihili posted:

Niiiiiiice.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
The 538 podcast today was basically a full hour of Nate throwing shade at some rando who trolls them on twitter.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Everyone in this thread is now listening to the podcast to see if it's them.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Bip Roberts posted:

The 538 podcast today was basically a full hour of Nate throwing shade at some rando who trolls them on twitter.

Hopefully, someday, I will be that rando

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Nate probably orders call girls but ends the whole night showing them pages of powerpoint graphs.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

etalian posted:

Nate probably orders call girls but ends the whole night showing them pages of powerpoint graphs.

Who among us hasn't done this?

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

etalian posted:

he gay

e_angst
Sep 20, 2001

by exmarx

Exactly, after his Grindr date is finished he has to unwind with some nice statistical analysis in front of a paid/captive audience.

Prof. Lurker
Mar 10, 2015

I've got the fire of human liberty!

I'm setting fires everywhere!

And humans are turning on everywhere!
http://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/2016-election-forecast/ohio/

Someone explain how the polls matches up with his "polls only" forecast?

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Prof. Lurker posted:

http://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/2016-election-forecast/ohio/

Someone explain how the polls matches up with his "polls only" forecast?

Look at the weightings.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

etalian posted:

:laugh:

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Someone buy Nate an account so he can confront his trolls in a place with fair moderation.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Dear Nathaniel Silver, please visit us in a dead gay forum where your sexual identity has been turned into a meme by idiots.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

Bip Roberts posted:

In fairness, Nassim Nicholas Taleb isn't exactly "some rando."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nassim_Nicholas_Taleb

quote:

Nassim Nicholas Taleb (Arabic: نسيم نيقولا طالب‎‎, alternatively Nessim or Nissim, born 1960) is a Lebanese-American essayist, scholar, statistician, former trader, and risk analyst,[1] whose work focuses on problems of randomness, probability, and uncertainty. His 2007 book The Black Swan was described in a review by the Sunday Times as one of the twelve most influential books since World War II.[2]

Taleb is a bestselling author,[3][4][5] has been a professor at several universities, serving as Distinguished Professor of Risk Engineering at the New York University Tandon School of Engineering since September 2008, and as co-editor in chief of the academic journal, Risk and Decision Analysis since September 2014. He has also been a practitioner of mathematical finance, a hedge fund manager, a derivatives trader and is currently listed as a scientific adviser at Universa Investments.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
Can we all finally agree 538 is now garbage and move on to literally any other unweighted aggregator now

No?

ok cool

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."

Patter Song posted:

In fairness, Nassim Nicholas Taleb isn't exactly "some rando."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nassim_Nicholas_Taleb

I have a fairly low opinion of both Taleb and 538 so I love this slapfight

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

the only good thing about 538 is seeing Clare bully her weird co-workers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

etalian posted:

the only good thing about 538 is seeing Clare bully her weird co-workers.

They are a decent place to do your homework when it comes to betting

• Locked thread