Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

Stroll together, win together

Eonwe posted:

clearly the removed content just doesnt meet tiys complex artistic vision of 'i know it when I see it'

Yeah it wasn't that there was too many pixel artists - we were all generating loads of content, it was that:

1) we had little to no direction, so we'd have to come up with poo poo on our own, but
2) unlike most studios, we couldn't show a sketch/storyboard/concept before proceeding, it had to be a 100% polished mockup to even be taken seriously, which meant
3) to get an idea off the ground we'd have to sink dozens of hours before it was even considered, and if it wasn't, all that time and assets would go to waste
4) while all this was going on, assets/sets people that were approved before would be deemed "poo poo" and or written out and need to be redone, no questions, no reasoning

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Jackard posted:

Haha speaking of which, Stardew multiplayer is delayed til next year.

You had one job, Chucklefish.

I had no idea Stardew Valley was supposed to get multiplayer to begin with. I still can't help but still feel on the fence about getting the game too. I know it's good though.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

RareAcumen posted:

I had no idea Stardew Valley was supposed to get multiplayer to begin with. I still can't help but still feel on the fence about getting the game too. I know it's good though.

its excellent

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
If you liked any of the Harvest Moon games you'll probably like Stardew Valley

I myself did not/do not, but I'm an impatient person who likes explosions and gore. I do see the appeal, however, I just recognize that such games aren't for me.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

stardew is actually well-designed to whatever degree, unlike starbound. it's lacking in some areas but the 1.1 update looks to shore those things up a bit. other than that it's pretty chill and things such as the soundtrack are really well done and relaxing overall.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
What's the Stardew multiplayer expected to be like? Will all of you have your own plots of land? Can all of you establish friendships with the townsfolk? Or is it like Animal Crossing, where you'll just be guests in other people's towns?

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Argue posted:

What's the Stardew multiplayer expected to be like? Will all of you have your own plots of land? Can all of you establish friendships with the townsfolk? Or is it like Animal Crossing, where you'll just be guests in other people's towns?

A hardscrabble life on a bleak soviet communal farm during the 30s. You compete with each other to get enough food to survive and still meet seasonal quotas while avoiding compulsory conscription.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

All we know so far is that Chucklefish will gently caress it up.

I'm kind of surprised that Kickstarter backers aren't howling for blood with how they usually act. I seem to remember the multiplayer being a big deal.

SovietPotatoe
May 14, 2011

Master of the Duncspawn Taint

Rhopunzel posted:

Yeah it wasn't that there was too many pixel artists - we were all generating loads of content, it was that:

1) we had little to no direction, so we'd have to come up with poo poo on our own, but
2) unlike most studios, we couldn't show a sketch/storyboard/concept before proceeding, it had to be a 100% polished mockup to even be taken seriously, which meant
3) to get an idea off the ground we'd have to sink dozens of hours before it was even considered, and if it wasn't, all that time and assets would go to waste
4) while all this was going on, assets/sets people that were approved before would be deemed "poo poo" and or written out and need to be redone, no questions, no reasoning

Seems pretty bad considering creative work like game design relies heavily on iteration speed. A feature that looks amazing on paper can easily turn out to be complete garbage in practice and vice-versa, so being able to quickly produce and test prototype features is pretty important. Although it certainly fits with their altitude displayed during the rest of EA development ("Let's have one dev spend God knows how many manhours implementing hundreds of food items into an experimental new food system that we don't is any good").

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms

Rhopunzel posted:

What the gently caress

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
I repeat my earlier statement:

Malachite_Dragon posted:

A microcosm of what the inevitable forced release of Star Shitizen will be
Right down to the non-existent leadership and lovely micromanagement.

I AM BRAWW
Jul 18, 2014
at least starbound was better than no man sky

I AM BRAWW
Jul 18, 2014
video games suck

I AM BRAWW
Jul 18, 2014
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JtIE2hpgM5A

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
i think you underestimate the work involved.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Rhopunzel posted:

hookerbot.gif meanwhile made the cut

http://i.imgur.com/6NJUn46.mp4
http://i.imgur.com/vUzsLvl.mp4

Party Plane Jones fucked around with this message at 11:56 on Sep 7, 2016

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever

Tallgeese posted:

I'm kind of surprised that Kickstarter backers aren't howling for blood with how they usually act. I seem to remember the multiplayer being a big deal.

It helps that CA was pretty straightforward about why he was leaving multiplayer out. He basically said the single player game was finished and he could either release that right away or delay the game for an unknown number of months while he tried to get multiplayer working. We'd be waiting just as long for multiplayer either way, but at least this way we have the single player version in the meantime.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

I AM BRAWW posted:

at least starbound was better than no man sky

the only thing Starbound has over NMS is multiplayer

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
does anything interesting happen at the end of the game? I quit halfway through because of how boring the main quest/progression was

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

You get a special reward bag. I think it had some upgrade modules in it! And a postcard.

And the satisfaction of not having the main "story" in your quest log anymore.

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
hmm i got the same satisfaction by uninstalling the game

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

You won't be able to properly experience Tiy's vision that way.

Hint: It's terrible and has no effect on the rest of the galaxy.

Afraid of Audio
Oct 12, 2012

by exmarx
so how is the modern classic of video games goin

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Afraid of Audio posted:

so how is the modern classic of video games goin

Way of the Samurai 4 is pretty OK

LordZoric
Aug 30, 2012

Let's wish for a space whale!
--

LordZoric fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Mar 17, 2021

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Eonwe posted:

its excellent

Johnny Joestar posted:

stardew is actually well-designed to whatever degree, unlike starbound. it's lacking in some areas but the 1.1 update looks to shore those things up a bit. other than that it's pretty chill and things such as the soundtrack are really well done and relaxing overall.

I know the situation where the guy who made it did it on his own without Chucklefish messing it up like a brick in a washing machine, but I just have a few dumb hang ups with it. I've been looking at an LP and some streams of the game and it looks cool, that's not my problem.

Malachite_Dragon posted:

If you liked any of the Harvest Moon games you'll probably like Stardew Valley

I myself did not/do not, but I'm an impatient person who likes explosions and gore. I do see the appeal, however, I just recognize that such games aren't for me.

Never played any Harvest Moon games and that's why I'm interested in it.

Okay, here's my really stupid hosed up hang up with the game. All of the NPCs seem really boring and one-note in a really bad way. Like, worse than Fire Emblem, because I'm seriously not interested in any of them. And the way some heart scenes give you some really serious backstory on them like Alex and Sam and then some are just 'hey open this jar' is kinda annoying too. Like, really, Pierre, you've got absolutely nothing else to say beyond your store? And Harvey's got nothing besides health 24/7?

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms

RareAcumen posted:

I know the situation where the guy who made it did it on his own without Chucklefish messing it up like a brick in a washing machine, but I just have a few dumb hang ups with it. I've been looking at an LP and some streams of the game and it looks cool, that's not my problem.

again, they only "published" all the games under their name except for starbound which is why stardew valley is not hosed

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

I'd rather play this game instead of Stardew Valley because I can at least blow things up in Starbound if I get bored farming crops.

For me at least this game falls into that category of games where you know it's bad and devoid of content but you keep playing because it is a ok enough game for loving around in and hanging out with goons, kinda like that other bad game GTA Online. At least this game has mods, and if you're into building it's nice for that as well too. :shrug:

wafflemoose fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Sep 8, 2016

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Tallgeese posted:

All we know so far is that Chucklefish will gently caress it up.

Stardew Valley didn't have a kickstarter or even pre-orders so while people could complain it wasn't like they bought the game thinking it would have multiplayer on release.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Magmarashi posted:

Way of the Samurai 4 is pretty OK

way of the samurai 4 loving rules

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Ahundredbux posted:

again, they only "published" all the games under their name except for starbound which is why stardew valley is not hosed

edit: My post got eaten!

Yeah, I know that, I was getting at the whole 'they didn't have any part in making the game though' thing. They didn't even really market it even once it was finished I believe.

RareAcumen fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Sep 7, 2016

lunatikfringe
Jan 22, 2003
To be honest I am getting more than $15 worth out of Starbound. Ive been burned way worse with various $60 EA games and the steaming pile of crap Elder Scrolls online was.

If we haven't noticed already, large procedurally generated sandbox games have difficulty living up to pre-launch promises. At least this one only cost $15.

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

to JERK OFF is to be close to GOD... only with SPURTING

Rhopunzel posted:

ChucklefishImperiumGames.txt

King Doom
Dec 1, 2004
I am on the Internet.
Is there a list/timeline somewhere of all the poo poo Tiy did (or had removed)? Usually someone somewhere's compiled one, and I'd love to see everything that got hosed over in Starbounds development.

Kernel Monsoon
Jul 18, 2006
Hey guys! Our first content update (1.1) is now live on Steam! Here's a changelog etc.

quote:

http://playstarbound.com/starbound-1-1-changelog/

Hey, everyone! It’s patch day!

Version 1.1 is our first content patch since the full release of Starbound — we’ve added a fishing game, item collections, Novakid villages and more! Check the changelog below for a list of major/minor changes and bug fixes, and then go relocate some Fluffalo!

MAJOR CHANGES

Fishing

- Two tiers of fishing rods are now craftable from the Foraging Table and can be used to fish on ocean planets (including arctic, toxic and magma oceans)
- Added 48 unique fish types to catch
- Rare fish can give valuable rewards, including reel and lure upgrades to enhance your fishing rod

Collections

-New Collections interface tracks various kinds of collectables including captured pets, figurines, fish, cooking recipes, fossils, and bugs

- Added the Relocator tool, which allows non-hostile creatures such as critters, fish, bugs, and farm animals to be moved

- Added friendly Novakid villages including a variety of new Novakid-themed furniture and objects

MINOR CHANGES & BUG FIXES

- Saloon furniture previously sold at Frogg Furnishings is now available in Novakid villages, and has been replaced with the Pastel set (which has its own unique tenant)
- Novakids can now be generic tenants or guards
- Added Novakid NPC dialogue
- Implemented party chat and local (planet) chat
- Acid rain now applies poison instead of direct damage
- Console objects are now available as themed tenant rewards
- Added option for “borderless window” style fullscreen mode
- Improved sound effects for Staff abilities
- Improved sound effects for several unique boss weapons
- Adjusted which bugs appear in Midnight, Mutated and Giant Flower biomes
- Shockhopper Mk I and Dreadwing now have a chance to drop their respective action figures
- Mother Poptops on starter worlds now drop enough Core Fragments to complete the initial gate quest
- Added chance for Snuffish to appear in ocean biomes
- Kelp now unlocks the Rice Cake cooking recipe when picked up
- Reduced moon threat level from 10 to 1
- Fixed a bug causing merchants to offer material items for free (which made them impossible to purchase)
- Fixed several armor descriptions that didn’t fit within their tooltips
- Fixed a bug causing fireworks to deal large amounts of damage
- Fixed birds and other monsters spawning in the atmosphere and asteroid layers of moons
- Made several NPC-like monsters uncapturable
- Fixed monsters getting stuck outside arena in final arena side quest
- Fixed friendly NPCs and monsters being damaged by environmental effects such as traps
- Fixed a few edge cases in pathfinding
- Fixed several items displaying erroneous recipe unlocks when obtained
- Fixed a bug causing underwater audio filters to continue after quitting to title
- Fixed several cases of incorrect cursors displaying over GUI elements
- Fixed a bug in LoS calculation determining whether the player can reach objects
- Fixed a bug causing Dreadwing’s UFO to visually flip
- Fixed a bug causing boats to oscillate at the surface of water
- Fixed a bug causing physics AoE effects to move projectiles
- Wire Mode overlay is now hidden on protected tiles
- Lots of typographical/grammatical text fixes
- sb-1-1_changelogbanner

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Supernorn posted:

Hey guys! Our first content update (1.1) is now live on Steam! Here's a changelog etc.

- Reduced moon threat level from 10 to 1

RIP Moon Colonies, no point in building them now.

TheObserver
Nov 7, 2012
Ooh, does that mean they removed the annoying Erchius Ghost?

Does it?

It doesn't, does it? :(

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

TheObserver posted:

Does it?

And make things less annoying? That's not Tiy's Vision.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

given everything that was roughly chopped out in the first place, this update really only feels like it's adding back in things that should have been in the game in the first place

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms

TheObserver posted:

Does it?

no it means you can no longer get tier 10 items from building colonies on moons