Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Pryor on Fire posted:

The point is we could be getting all that cool poo poo way cooler if we didn't have this deranged person running a borderline illegal financial scam at a massive scale. If Tesla does collapse or get HillaryBailouted then it's going to set poo poo back a looooong way.

There are non crazy billionaires doing things the right way and some other crazy ones doing it the wrong way. We will be fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paternity suitor
Aug 2, 2016

If Tesla goes under, at least someone else will be able to buy their carcass for pennies on the dollar.

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003

oxsnard posted:

Just bought some 20$ SCTY lottery calls expiring tomorrow @ .05

Sold half at .10

Broke even now and gonna see if Tesla/Scty are going to do that dumb rally up thing today

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
Last TSLA post for now:

Buy your puts y'all, fireworks coming next week. I'm gonna leave it at that.

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

oxsnard posted:

Last TSLA post for now:

Buy your puts y'all, fireworks coming next week. I'm gonna leave it at that.

Lol, sure - I'm in for a few hundred of TSLA put lottery.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

It's times like this that I wish I were allowed to trade options...

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Solice Kirsk posted:

It's times like this that I wish I were allowed to trade options...

Allowed? What's stopping you

mearn
Aug 2, 2011

Kevin Harvick's #1 Fan!

Eh what the hell

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

Allowed? What's stopping you

The "Firmwide Personal Account Dealing Policy" at my new company doesn't allow for day trading or options trading of any kind, unless part of a mutual fund. Also have to get preclearance before any buy or sell I make. And since my brokerage account is actually with them they get informed of all trades I make in real time. Already got in trouble for buying FSLR without pre approval. It's a giant garbage handcuff that is total bullshit. Especially for the options trading.

obviously I fucked it
Oct 6, 2009
I have a vague and screwy question about stock.
I was contacted about some stock from an estate I inherited, and there is apparently some small account that I hadn't known about or claimed. . A stock service called "Keane" called me and said they wanted to help get this unclaimed stock at Wells Fargo that ostensibly belongs to me and get it either reissued or cashed out. Their fee for cashing that stock out would be 30%. I had seen mail from this Keane place before, but always chucked it out as yet more junk mail. The value of the stock is about four grand.

What the poo poo, they want 30%.

I only have some info from Keane regarding this--the last four digits of the account number and of course, what I already have from court. A) is this even the right place to ask about this, and B) how do I get this stock reissued to me or cashed out without this company? I've had other things reissued, but that was with my documents I already had.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

The stock was held in a Wells account? You should contact them--they'll be able to tell you what you need. Might be a pain in the rear end, though... if you're lucky it's a payable on death account.

obviously I fucked it
Oct 6, 2009
THanks, I'll start with them in the morning, then. Hopefully, they won't give me too hard a time with this.

Bhaal
Jul 13, 2001
I ain't going down alone
Dr. Infant, MD
I'm sure there's some paperwork shuffle that could be a small or larger pain in the rear end, but I have a hard time envisioning what kinds of red tape would come in that would make it worth paying someone $1200 to handle it so that all you need to do is sign papers. Maybe the tax events you could run into are tricky? Still, taking an afternoon to study it would be like paying yourself a few hundred dollars per hour.

I imagine there's quite the market for doing 'services' like this for grieving families who don't want to deal with any more bureaucratic hassles that already come up when it comes to death and estate management. It's a prime opportunity to capitalize on extremely low price sensitivity if you have the stomach / lack of compunction for it. I mean, I guess there's some cases where the survivors are overwhelmed emotionally or logistically so even with killer fees the inheritors are grateful for the help, but at the very least it feels like you have the upper hand so if all else fails you can respond "I can let you do it for 10%" just to see what they come back with.

Bhaal fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Sep 2, 2016

Dr. Eldarion
Mar 21, 2001

Deal Dispatcher

They're probably a service that tracks unclaimed funds, searches out the owners (if they've moved, etc) and tells them about it. Probably pretty legit, and I'm sure they help a lot of people find money they never knew they had, but 30% is absolutely ridiculous.

One of these services contacted me a couple years ago - I had some money from an old security deposit unclaimed - and instead of going through them I just went directly to the state's unclaimed property website and did it myself in like 5 minutes.

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered
Jesus christ, the insiders dumping FSLR last month with the stock near lows.... It doesnt add up

http://www.insider-monitor.com/trading/cik1274494.html

Also, the CEO who stepped down in Aug but said he was going to remain active on the board just stepped down from the board.

greasyhands fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Sep 4, 2016

ryanbruce
May 1, 2002

The "Dell Dude"

greasyhands posted:

Jesus christ, the insiders dumping FSLR last month with the stock near lows.... It doesnt add up

Also, the CEO who stepped down in Aug but said he was going to remain active on the board just stepped down from the board.

You are not helping me feel like safe about touching the poop

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Lol shoulda nabbed scty

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

ryanbruce posted:

You are not helping me feel like safe about touching the poop

We're all in it together, grab a fistful.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

greasyhands posted:

What doesn't add up, because it looks like a consistent story to me.

HamsterPolice
Apr 17, 2016

Hi. The OP has Options as a Strategic Investment recommendation to learn options but are there better books/blogs/something to learn about options and option strategies?

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Just write naked puts on solar companies. You're guaranteed to make money.

ryanbruce
May 1, 2002

The "Dell Dude"

Solice Kirsk posted:

We're all in it together, grab a fistful.

Oh believe me, I have. This is going to be a long play if I'm ever going to see a return.. 20x44.14 (which is a big amount for me since I'm really just dicking around)

Dwight Eisenhower
Jan 24, 2006

Indeed, I think that people want peace so much that one of these days governments had better get out of the way and let them have it.
I wrote FSLR at 37.5 :coal:

Watch it drop to 28 in the next 10 days :suicide:

orange sky
May 7, 2007

Dwight Eisenhower posted:

It's gonna go UP, UP, UP!

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

I thought solar was a long play for everyone? Stop checking it! Just wait till more green energy initiatives are implemented.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Dwight Eisenhower posted:

It is up today I guess the outgoing board member is covering his shorts since he won't be able to get insider info anymore.

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered
Sold out of UA for a small gain and moving into TERP @ 13.50

mearn
Aug 2, 2011

Kevin Harvick's #1 Fan!

HamsterPolice posted:

Hi. The OP has Options as a Strategic Investment recommendation to learn options but are there better books/blogs/something to learn about options and option strategies?

As far as web content goes, Dough has a pretty good video tutorial series going over different strategies and whatnot. I've been enjoying OptionAlpha's content as well. Lots of video tutorials and PDF guides for free along with weeklyish podcasts.

I was big on Tastytrade but they've worn me out pretty quickly. I still try to keep up with Market Measures and the other shows based on research and backtesting but they have approximately zero focus on risk management for some reason.

Dwight Eisenhower
Jan 24, 2006

Indeed, I think that people want peace so much that one of these days governments had better get out of the way and let them have it.
I mean I wasn't really wanting to be in FSLR but I figured at 37.5 I'd buy it happily and hold it for a longer time frame so why not get some premium out of it, which is pretty much the perfect way to write puts.

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

VUZI nearly at a 52-week high, should have held on to half my stake :saddowns:

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered
I think Ackman might really be losing his poo poo. He just announced a 9.9% stake in CMG

R.A. Dickey
Feb 20, 2005

Knuckleballer.

greasyhands posted:

I think Ackman might really be losing his poo poo. He just announced a 9.9% stake in CMG

Up 6ish% after hours also. That's an odd one for him, I don't see CMG as much of an activist target. Theres no spin off to do, no assets to sell, and cost cutting isn't going to bring sales back. They're undervalued because people think they're going to get salmonella if they eat the food

R.A. Dickey fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Sep 7, 2016

Pixelboy
Sep 13, 2005

Now, I know what you're thinking...
How many of you write covered calls on your long term holdings?

Any favorites? I'm sitting on a lot of MSFT, writing covered calls... avoiding ex-div and earnings dates....

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I tried to trade a 3x oil ETF multiple times (unsuccessfully). I don't even know what the term risk management means.

Pixelboy
Sep 13, 2005

Now, I know what you're thinking...

Josh Lyman posted:

I tried to trade a 3x oil ETF multiple times (unsuccessfully). I don't even know what the term risk management means.

Call me next time you're in vegas.

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

Josh Lyman posted:

That's what trading is.

R.A. Dickey
Feb 20, 2005

Knuckleballer.
Short CMG at 438, will be out by the end of the week

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
Goddamit I almost bought WATT puts at the close yesterday. Down 12%

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

How does twitter get no bids in this environment when there are pallets of cash sitting in every boardroom just getting dusty. Things must be worse there than anyone realizes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!
The CNBC talking heads, who I assume know more than I do, have said the upside on TWTR is at best low $20s in the event of a takeover. Maybe potential buyers are waiting for a dip back down to $14/share or lower to get a better deal?