Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax
Nevermind... I restarted my computer and it works just fine. LOL.

I'm in Shenzhen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Sometimes when my VPN doesn't work just turning the wifi off and on again fixes it. No idea why that would do anything but v:shobon:v

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Haier posted:

Nevermind... I restarted my computer and it works just fine. LOL.

I'm in Shenzhen.

Shenzhen is good.

Zipline
May 9, 2013
So I get to the airport and find out that Hainan Airlines changed the seat numbers that I had reserved for my friends and I. Okay, no big deal I think, despite there being no explanation. About halfway through the flight I figure it out: they clustered all of the laowai in the back of the plane.

This some STRAIGHT UP Rosa Parks going on

Baddog
May 12, 2001

Zipline posted:

So I get to the airport and find out that Hainan Airlines changed the seat numbers that I had reserved for my friends and I. Okay, no big deal I think, despite there being no explanation. About halfway through the flight I figure it out: they clustered all of the laowai in the back of the plane.

I think my feelings of back-of-the-bus rage might be tempered by a bit of gratitude for a small island of normalcy in the sky.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Zipline posted:

they are doing you a favor

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax

Zipline posted:

Hainan did something like this to me, too. They didn't change my own seat, but every single non-Chinese person on the flight was sitting in the same area of the plane. My legs get annoyed when sitting on flights and I walk around and usually make a "tour" of all the toilets and I noticed there were no other non-Chinese in the rest of the plane.

fart simpson posted:

Shenzhen is good.
Yes, but not this week.

A Chinese person said to me "Why is it raining? It has been autumn since last month (by the Chinese calendar). It shouldn't be raining now. Rain is during summer."

Dr. Snuggles
Dec 3, 2012

Tbh some of us (Pick) use this website more than others and I feel that I am unfairly subsidizing picks posting. Unless some kind of fee by post usage is enabled were basically instituting a forced welfare state of posting.
Whats going on chinagoons? Me and my girlfriend have planned a trip to Tokyo and then a quick detour to HK for about 4 days. I visited HK maybe about a year ago, for a month, and got to meet some cool people like Caberham and some other goons. I'd like to know if you guys recommend any cool places to view while we're in HK for the 4 days.

So far my plan is:

Lan Kwai Fong
Some Wan Chai Sports bars, probably go along Lockhart Rd. - When we touch down.

Ocean Park. 1 day

Lantau Island. 1 day

One day for Macau. 1 day

One day for GOONMEETS?

Also no loving lan cafes caberham, you weirdo.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.

Zipline posted:

I can't even find my booking on Hainan's website using the "manage my reservation" or whatever. Granted I had to book through Expedia to get the price because I couldn't find the flight on Hainan's site for whatever reason. So I can't even select my seat.

Good to know I'll be stuck in back with all the other fat laowai, probably in the middle seat too.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

SB35 posted:

I can't even find my booking on Hainan's website using the "manage my reservation" or whatever. Granted I had to book through Expedia to get the price because I couldn't find the flight on Hainan's site for whatever reason. So I can't even select my seat.

Good to know I'll be stuck in back with all the other fat laowai, probably in the middle seat too.

I actually also booked with Hainan recently (they run direct Boston<->Beijing flights so it makes it only like 17 hours from Chengdu instead of the usual 24+ with 3 or more layovers), and it was a really frustrating experience. First I tried on their site in English and for some reason Alipay didn't show up as a payment option despite having the little Alipay thing in the bottom of every page. On a whim, I just switched to Chinese and Alipay appeared as an option! However, the link to pay kept timing out. I contacted their support in a chat window, which in their defense got back to me like instantly, and said I could try on their official Qunar page. I asked if I would still get to pick seats/etc and they said yes, the Qunar page was a page managed by them and it wasn't like I was buying from a rando agent, the ticket would be as if I bought it from the Hainan Air site directly.

So I did that, and it worked fine, price was the same, etc... They sent me an email from Hainan Air directly saying here's your ticket number, you can pick your seats and whatever on the site. I tried on my Mac in chrome and their manage my reservations page was totally borked, but it looked fine in Safari. I got in, picked my seats, saved, and it gave me an error saying try again later. I tried on my PC still running Windows 7 in IE whatever version and chrome, and got the same error so I decided it was an actual system error at this point. I called them, and they basically said "yeah you should be able to from a mac, we just made a new site that should work with everything, just try again later???"

That was 2 weeks ago, and I try every couple of days and get the same error. I'm about to give up on picking seats and just hope I don't get stuck in the middle, but I'm a short guy and it's a 787 so...

e: has anyone flown Hainan before? I actually haven't, but they have really good reviews on international sites for the most part. To be honest my experience on most big Chinese airlines has been better than American ones (I usually pay extra to get any Asian airline over Delta, United, etc... when going back and forth), but I'm curious as to why Hainan seems to stand out.

Ailumao fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Sep 7, 2016

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I just flew that Hainan flight from Boston to Beijing like two weeks ago. It was Boston to Beijing, but I did Beijing to Boston last year, and then Boston to Beijing back. So I've done three different trips with Boston <--> Beijing.

It's fine. They have a decent choice of movies on the flight. Have Tsingdao and Budweiser. Food was alright. Got a free kid meal, even though we forgot to register, because we are poo poo parents. They actually upgraded the Chinese dude that was next to us to business class so the wife and I had the row all to ourselves, which was really appreciated because we were traveling with an 8 month old. I don't know if they did it for us or not. The flight had free wifi, which was cool and good. We were delayed about 45 minutes taking off but arrived back in Beijing no problem.

It's not a bad flight at all.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
My company booked the flight, though, so I don't know how confusing it was to to book on it. My company did somehow manage to book us two flights back to Asia, one from Boston to Tokyo on JAL on August 5th, and then one from Boston to Beijing on August 16th. So maybe it was really confusing, lol

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax
I used Orbitz to book my Hainan Air flight and that let me choose my seat without any issues because it was through them and not directly with Hainan.
I was seated next to a Russian guy that drank probably $100 worth of free booze on the flight. He kept summoning the waitress to bring him a new drink because the last can or bottle was empty.

Baddog
May 12, 2001

The Great Autismo! posted:

It's fine. They have a decent choice of movies on the flight. Have Tsingdao and Budweiser. Food was alright. Got a free kid meal, even though we forgot to register, because we are poo poo parents.

Last time we got a kids meal on a flight out of Beijing, I think we got the only one on the flight and it had been sitting out on the runway by its lonesome for a while. Maybe it took a trip out and back a few times, got heated up and put back, I dunno. I kind of doubt the airline food service at chinese airports is following best safe practices. Thank god my kid was asleep and didn't eat it, but my wife had a couple bites, and then had fireworks out of both ends for the last hour or so of the flight to LA, the layover, the flight to denver, the drive home, the rest of the night, etc. We had the same food otherwise, and she's the one with the iron stomach, so it was definitely bad bad bad food.

So the lesson is to stick with what the vast majority of people on the flight are eating. Especially for your kid. Especially on very long travel days.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe

Magna Kaser posted:

e: has anyone flown Hainan before? I actually haven't, but they have really good reviews on international sites for the most part. To be honest my experience on most big Chinese airlines has been better than American ones (I usually pay extra to get any Asian airline over Delta, United, etc... when going back and forth), but I'm curious as to why Hainan seems to stand out.

Last month I did Seattle to Beijing and then Shanghai to Seattle on Hainan. SEA-PEK was good, on a 777 with nice entertainment and acceptable in a middle seat in economy. PVG-SEA was awesome on one of their newer 787s (my first ride on one!) that felt really spacious for economy. A little weird for an international flight is that the cabin crew didn't seem to speak English at all. Everyone asked me things in Chinese and answered in Chinese even when speaking to them in English.

They have a pretty good provider for Kosher meals too that I would recommend. Remember, it doesn't cost extra! Just ask a week in advance or when you're booking.

Also their safety video has lots of boobs. Best Chinese airline.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Bloodnose posted:

Last month I did Seattle to Beijing and then Shanghai to Seattle on Hainan. SEA-PEK was good, on a 777 with nice entertainment and acceptable in a middle seat in economy. PVG-SEA was awesome on one of their newer 787s (my first ride on one!) that felt really spacious for economy. A little weird for an international flight is that the cabin crew didn't seem to speak English at all. Everyone asked me things in Chinese and answered in Chinese even when speaking to them in English.

They have a pretty good provider for Kosher meals too that I would recommend. Remember, it doesn't cost extra! Just ask a week in advance or when you're booking.

Maybe you look like you speak Chinese?

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

fart simpson posted:

Maybe you look like you speak Chinese?

maybe he looks like he doesnt and they hated him

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe
That's racist.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Bloodnose posted:

I was actually able to request my vegetarian meal without issue! The list of meals they had was actually kind of crazy. I also like how ovolacto vegetarian was listed as 西式素食

Haier posted:

I used Orbitz to book my Hainan Air flight and that let me choose my seat without any issues because it was through them and not directly with Hainan.
I was seated next to a Russian guy that drank probably $100 worth of free booze on the flight. He kept summoning the waitress to bring him a new drink because the last can or bottle was empty.

With all airlines, Chinese/European/American/whatever, I've always had the opposite experience and try to book directly with the airline as much as possible. I've had a bunch of really miserable times booking on orbitz/travelocity/whatever which might just be me being unlucky, but overall direct booking has worked out for me way better. This goes triple for Chinese airlines.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

I keep shopping round but for flight+hotel expedia just keep coming up cheapest

Exception: when the exchange rate was weird I saved money by booking direct through my destination country's website for a flight (no hotel needed). If I'd had a VPN it would have been a breeze but I spoke with a Virgin customer rep and they handled it no problem.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Baddog posted:

Last time we got a kids meal on a flight out of Beijing, I think we got the only one on the flight and it had been sitting out on the runway by its lonesome for a while. Maybe it took a trip out and back a few times, got heated up and put back, I dunno. I kind of doubt the airline food service at chinese airports is following best safe practices. Thank god my kid was asleep and didn't eat it, but my wife had a couple bites, and then had fireworks out of both ends for the last hour or so of the flight to LA, the layover, the flight to denver, the drive home, the rest of the night, etc. We had the same food otherwise, and she's the one with the iron stomach, so it was definitely bad bad bad food.

So the lesson is to stick with what the vast majority of people on the flight are eating. Especially for your kid. Especially on very long travel days.

Hainan was alright, I wouldn't fly anything else in China. I'll fly into China on Delta or United, Hainan, but now that we are finally buying out own tickets from here on out it will only be Korean Air or JAL. And Japan Airlines is literally the best ever.

The real lesson is don't go to China, and it's one that you know, baddog. The second real lesson is don't fly a Chinese carrier. The third lesson is if you do, drink yourself to stupidity and don't touch anything over than the alcohol and hope after you pass out you wake up in your location (worked well for me the one time I did it)

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.

Magna Kaser posted:

I actually also booked with Hainan recently (they run direct Boston<->Beijing flights so it makes it only like 17 hours from Chengdu instead of the usual 24+ with 3 or more layovers), and it was a really frustrating experience. First I tried on their site in English and for some reason Alipay didn't show up as a payment option despite having the little Alipay thing in the bottom of every page. On a whim, I just switched to Chinese and Alipay appeared as an option! However, the link to pay kept timing out. I contacted their support in a chat window, which in their defense got back to me like instantly, and said I could try on their official Qunar page. I asked if I would still get to pick seats/etc and they said yes, the Qunar page was a page managed by them and it wasn't like I was buying from a rando agent, the ticket would be as if I bought it from the Hainan Air site directly.

So I did that, and it worked fine, price was the same, etc... They sent me an email from Hainan Air directly saying here's your ticket number, you can pick your seats and whatever on the site. I tried on my Mac in chrome and their manage my reservations page was totally borked, but it looked fine in Safari. I got in, picked my seats, saved, and it gave me an error saying try again later. I tried on my PC still running Windows 7 in IE whatever version and chrome, and got the same error so I decided it was an actual system error at this point. I called them, and they basically said "yeah you should be able to from a mac, we just made a new site that should work with everything, just try again later???"

That was 2 weeks ago, and I try every couple of days and get the same error. I'm about to give up on picking seats and just hope I don't get stuck in the middle, but I'm a short guy and it's a 787 so...

This has basically been my experience so far. What number did you call? Maybe i should call. (don't give me their special China 5 digit shortcode)

I do try to book directly with airlines every time because it seems to alleviate hassle, but i couldn't find the same flights on the Hainan website and was interested in saving $150 so. I'm not the skinniest dude, I just don't wanna get stuck between two hambeasts on a trans-pacific flight even if it is on a "roomy" 787.

So who's been to Xinjiang? I'm accepting all advice on Xinjiang right now. Quit my job and found a great flight on Hainan last week and arriving in Urumqi next week. 10 days in Xinjiang, 4 days in my second home Xi'an, then back to SF for a new job. What should i do in Xinjiang?

The real lesson is don't go to China, and it's one that you know, baddog. The second real lesson is don't fly a Chinese carrier. The third lesson is if you do, drink yourself to stupidity and don't touch anything over than the alcohol and hope after you pass out you wake up in your location (worked well for me the one time I did it)

I'm a glutton for punishment apparently. But I do plan to drown it all in baijiu and lamb.

SB35 fucked around with this message at 08:30 on Sep 7, 2016

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
dude enjoy

I kinda want to go to xian and buy u a beer. Enjoy ur time back in China

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I'm drinking beer and watching David foster Wallace interviews

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug

I'm drunk and watching youtube videos that do not challenge my self-esteem

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
yo watch this, it's cool and good

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=91ytSdSM-Kk

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
If you don't want your self esteem challenged watched this

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=lj3iNxZ8Dww

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

There's another set with this German chick that are fun.

hong kong divorce lunch
Sep 20, 2005

coincidentally I'm also listening to a radio interview with him. I want some better beer in HK but also cheaper good beer.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
This, have you seen it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N5IDAnB_rns

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

hong kong divorce lunch posted:

coincidentally I'm also listening to a radio interview with him. I want some better beer in HK but also cheaper good beer.

Link radio interview.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

u r cool and good

hong kong divorce lunch
Sep 20, 2005
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qm_u3YoL8s8

hong kong divorce lunch
Sep 20, 2005
we're all really smart, gang. nobody else gets it.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I'm quite terrible

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Pillbug

Dude a King Can of Kirin is like 3 or 4 HKD what on earth is your problem?

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
This is the second day in a row my boss has scheduled contract negotiations and simply not showed up :/

I may be pumping my fist with the Bloodnose inspired "I QUIT MY JOB" soon

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

This is the second day in a row my boss has scheduled contract negotiations and simply not showed up :/

I may be pumping my fist with the Bloodnose inspired "I QUIT MY JOB" soon

Same.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

Fun Shoe
I had a pretty fantastic job and I still quit it. Always quit your job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Pillbug

Bloodnose posted:

I had a pretty fantastic job and I still quit it. Always quit your job.

Why did you quit your job?