Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

- private video apparently -

LG V20; has a removable battery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

MrBond posted:

Google needs a phone nice enough that they're happy to use it internally without getting whatever actual consumers buy. Basically google employees don't want to get Samsung'd.

Well that but really Google needs a reference device to develop Android for and since they are rolling in money and every other phone manufacturer has decided that they are going to load their high-end phones up with poo poo they might as well fund their own.

Google will always have their own phone to develop for, they have to target something, they are just nice enough to sell them to the public instead of just having internal target platforms.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Three Olives posted:

Well that but really Google needs a reference device to develop Android for and since they are rolling in money and every other phone manufacturer has decided that they are going to load their high-end phones up with poo poo they might as well fund their own.

Google will always have their own phone to develop for, they have to target something, they are just nice enough to sell them to the public instead of just having internal target platforms.

lol if your company that develops apps does specifically target the Galaxy S line.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

fondue posted:

- private video apparently -

LG V20; has a removable battery.
http://www.androidpolice.com/2016/09/06/lg-v20-now-official-packs-snapdragon-820-android-7-0-nougat-removable-battery/

Apparently yes.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Jerk McJerkface posted:

lol if your company that develops apps does specifically target the Galaxy S line.
80% of our users are on Samsung devices so we do have to target them specifically in the sense of working around their stupid platform bugs and aggressive memory management. Though I refuse to use one for general development purposes.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

CLAM DOWN posted:

Are they letting you give the S7 Edge back when the replacement Notes arrive? Rogers is being a big load of dicklords and offering you a swap to an S7/S7 Edge plus credit, but you can't swap it back to a Note7 when the replacements come.

Yep! Pretty good deal, really.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!
One of the largest holdouts, Chase, is now supported in Android Pay.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

The Merkinman posted:

One of the largest holdouts, Chase, is now supported in Android Pay.

This might actually be enough to get me to unroot, update, and try one of the system-less root options. I've got three Chase cards.

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.

Tunga posted:

80% of our users are on Samsung devices so we do have to target them specifically in the sense of working around their stupid platform bugs and aggressive memory management. Though I refuse to use one for general development purposes.

Yeah, that's the thing about Samsung- they're ubiquitous, and so apps that require hardware calibration tend to work better with them than than they do with the competition. As a musician, there are a number of apps I use that rely upon the phone's microphone like dB-meters and chromatic tuners. These never worked well on either my Droid Turbo or my Droid DNA... hell not even on my Galaxy Nexus, if it comes to that. Since getting the S7, all of a sudden they work perfectly. Now, obviously that's a niche market, and I would certainly be better served by using purpose-designed hardware (I've got hardware tuners and dB meters but I don't always want to drag them around with me, especially to non-paying gigs) but the fact of the matter is that having the standard piece of hardware for the apps is beneficial.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

sharkytm posted:

This might actually be enough to get me to unroot, update, and try one of the system-less root options. I've got three Chase cards.

As far as I know, systemless root still precludes the use of Android Pay.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
Note7 battery bomb talk got me concerned about my farming wall of Galaxy Nexus'. I just picked up a box of twenty batteries for them on ebay to switch them all out because some of the old batteries are like one inch thick now.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

While I'm not sold on the secondary screen, the bezels on the LG V20 are tight as gently caress.

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008

Jerk McJerkface posted:

farming wall of Galaxy Nexus'.

what?

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3472001

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

:yikes:

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Out of curiosity, anyone have any thoughts on how the Note7 recall will affect Samsung? A buddy is worried that they'll tank, and is wary of buying any Samsung products now. I don't think it'll be that bad, but admittedly I don't really know that much about major business.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

10 Beers posted:

Out of curiosity, anyone have any thoughts on how the Note7 recall will affect Samsung? A buddy is worried that they'll tank, and is wary of buying any Samsung products now. I don't think it'll be that bad, but admittedly I don't really know that much about major business.

I'm sure a few heads will roll and they'll be out a billion dollars but Samsung isn't going away.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

10 Beers posted:

Your friend is dumb. Samsung has over $20billion USD of cash in the bank.

http://www.samsung.com/us/aboutsamsung/investor_relations/financial_information/downloads/2016/2016_con_quarter01_bs.pdf

eyebeem fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Sep 7, 2016

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

http://phandroid.com/2016/09/07/galaxy-note-7-explosion-faa-ban/amp/

Another one goes up. Caused $1800 in damages at a hotel.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Boarding a flight in 30 minutes, try not to kill me with your retarded phablet bomb tia

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

go3 posted:

Boarding a flight in 30 minutes, try not to kill me with your retarded phablet bomb tia

But my phone hasn't blown up yet, and I am literally incapable of living without a phone for a small amount of time, so I'm not exchanging it! :downs:

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Going to haunt the poo poo out of this thread fyi

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Protocol7 posted:

But my phone hasn't blown up yet, and I am literally incapable of living without a phone for a small amount of time, so I'm not exchanging it! :downs:

This but unironically

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

CLAM DOWN posted:

This but unironically

:iiaca:

At least it sounds like it would be a car analogy.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
So I now have two computers that are incapable of restarting from sleep since upgrading to Windows 10. Both try and wake, them immediately reboot (one of them actually seems to reboots a couple of times), before resuming from the hibernate file instead. I know that's what happening because if I disable hibernation on them, thus getting rid of the hibernate file, then I see the same behaviour, except they don't resume their previous state when they start up, it's like they've been freshly booted.

Looking at the behaviour alone I would normally definitely put it down to a hardware problem, but both machines were perfectly capable of waking from sleep before I put W10 on them. It's very annoying. I've tried a lot of pissing about, fiddling with BIOS settings, and unplugging as many drives and things as possible on one of them, and it's made no difference so far.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Have you tried hitting your PCs against your desk? It seems to work well for Android phones.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Internet Explorer posted:

Have you tried hitting your PCs against your desk? It seems to work well for Android phones.

You're joking, but I know people who have done this to their laptops...and desktops.

ANYWAY.

What's the likelyhood of Nougat not showing up on the 6P and 6 due to Qualcomm loving around again? Also, anyone with a 5X had reboot loops going on?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

chippy posted:

So I now have two computers that are incapable of restarting from sleep since upgrading to Windows 10. Both try and wake, them immediately reboot (one of them actually seems to reboots a couple of times), before resuming from the hibernate file instead. I know that's what happening because if I disable hibernation on them, thus getting rid of the hibernate file, then I see the same behaviour, except they don't resume their previous state when they start up, it's like they've been freshly booted.

Looking at the behaviour alone I would normally definitely put it down to a hardware problem, but both machines were perfectly capable of waking from sleep before I put W10 on them. It's very annoying. I've tried a lot of pissing about, fiddling with BIOS settings, and unplugging as many drives and things as possible on one of them, and it's made no difference so far.

The Android Thread - just post about Windows 10 instead

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

FAUXTON posted:

The Android Thread - just post about Windows 10 instead

Hahahahaha. Sorry, my bad.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

ThermoPhysical posted:

What's the likelyhood of Nougat not showing up on the 6P and 6 due to Qualcomm loving around again?

None

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

ThermoPhysical posted:

What's the likelyhood of Nougat not showing up on the 6P and 6 due to Qualcomm loving around again?
It has been running on the 6P for four months already and the release build has been available since announcement day via the preview channel.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Tunga posted:

It has been running on the 6P for four months already and the release build has been available since announcement day via the preview channel.

Really? When I tried to enroll in the beta program today it started downloading npd90g which is developer preview 5. Nexus 6 here.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Nitrousoxide posted:

Really? When I tried to enroll in the beta program today it started downloading npd90g which is developer preview 5. Nexus 6 here.

Once you install the preview you'll get the OTA to the offical build, or so I've heard.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

nimper posted:

Once you install the preview you'll get the OTA to the offical build, or so I've heard.
My 6P went from M to release N when I signed up for the beta program on release day.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

ilkhan posted:

My 6P went from M to release N when I signed up for the beta program on release day.

Hmm, yes, it looks like the release N build for the 6 is not yet available then.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Sorry, has the release N version for the 6P been delayed? I'm not in the beta program and I'd rather not wipe at this point to unlock my bootloader (for a manual flash).

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
BLU R1 HD report:

It's a great phone for a great price, as long as you manage your expectations, especially after rooting and debloating. The speaker's a little quiet, the dpi is a little low, the screen isn't super sensitive, but none of that will make me pay 10x more for an unloaded flagship.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

CLAM DOWN posted:

Sorry, has the release N version for the 6P been delayed? I'm not in the beta program and I'd rather not wipe at this point to unlock my bootloader (for a manual flash).

It looks like there are 6P folks who are running release N. It's the 6 that doesn't seem to have it yet. (I certainly don't, but I'm on T. Mobile, which generally means that, even on an unlocked Nexus, I'll probably get it like a month after everyone else does.)

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

docbeard posted:

It looks like there are 6P folks who are running release N. It's the 6 that doesn't seem to have it yet. (I certainly don't, but I'm on T. Mobile, which generally means that, even on an unlocked Nexus, I'll probably get it like a month after everyone else does.)

Got it. So for the 6P it looks like the regular multi-week OTA rollout then? I wasn't worrying that I hadn't got it yet because I know it can take a bit for an OTA to reach all devices.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

The factory images for the 6P and 6 aren't up and the only devices that have the actual non-DP to RTM OTA are 5X and Pixel, I believe.

The 6P and 5X both can get Nougat if you register for DP5, but there's no other way to get it if you're on 6P (or 6) and Google's been characteristically silent it seems.