Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Savidudeosoo
Feb 12, 2016

Pelican, a Bag Man

SomeMathGuy posted:

The Phantom

Why is he white.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Not 'Why's he wearing two pairs of glasses?'

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
Well he switched them so I guess he's too dumb to invest in a pair of bifocals.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Savidudeosoo posted:

Why is he white.
The same reason the mythical protector of an African tribe is?

For those keeping track of nominative determinism in the Phantom, a dorje is a ceremonial club that represents power and enlightenment.

dordreff
Jul 16, 2013

You are in the vehicle rental business. If a man is wanting to rent a vehicle from you, and that man is admitting to a history of destroying vehicles he has rented, that is very specifically your business.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Six Chix

Zippy the Pinhead

Nancy

Arlo and Janis

Andertoons

Pluggers

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Why is that poor child suffering from hair loss? Does he have cancer?

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
He was shaved for lice.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Aardmania posted:

Heathcliff

It's a weird thing to catch myself saying, but Heathcliff is so consistently good these days. Peter Gallagher just has so much fun with it; it's so straight-facedly surreal.

Aardmania posted:

Judge Parker

I feel like Ces read the David Foster Wallace essay about David Lynch and is, consciously or not, hitting all the notes that Wallace pointed out as "Lynchian", like this, and the other day when there was that morbid aside about paninis. I'm not complaining; I like this strip and I like Mike Manley a lot, and Ces is giving him cool stuff to do.

Tiggum posted:

Lockhorns

Please keep posting this, if you're so inclined; I know it's not a terribly popular strip, but I really dig the Hoest style of cartooning.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

SomeMathGuy posted:

The Phantom

Ah, thank goodness there's a godfearing English Speaker to help Kit out. Also this dude is probably 100% in on the Phantom's secret.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

if he tries to sell you yellow wallpaper, get the hell out of there

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

quote:

And He Died.

Between these two I went from :stonkhat: to :newlol: in under five seconds. Bravo

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Green Intern posted:

Ah, thank goodness there's a godfearing English Speaker to help Kit out. Also this dude is probably 100% in on the Phantom's secret.

He's actually 300 years old himself.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

SomeMathGuy posted:

The Phantom

Is this another Lee Falk cameo? There has to be a reason for the fourth-wall breaking look.

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Intelligent Life

Take It From the Tinkersons

Viivi & Wagner

JaggerMcDagger
Feb 13, 2012

Bringing you Barry from the sordid depths of the Internet

SomeMathGuy posted:

The Phantom

Senator Armstrong really changed after he found transcendence.

quote:

You think that you’re going to find one for under 200 dollars? Good luck with that. Maybe if you put and ad in the paper an older woman might let you borrow hers or even sell it to you. Her late or ex husband may have been a jerk and she’d want to be rid of something that reminded her of her wedding to him. Either way, good luck. BTW, where is the car? Has it been ticketed? Has it also been towed for ransom? Has it been stolen? Has it been stripped in place?

quote:

Up next: Brad has an affair, with the wedding planner :p (no, probably not ;) )

quote:

OK, so Toni believes that her aunt is still alive, but isn’t sure how to reach her. Presumably the uncle who left her the car isn’t in the picture. With her tiny family, I wonder if she’s thinking she wants lots and lots of little ones running around, or has her brother made her too painfully aware of all the responsibilities involved in raising a child? Have she and Brad ever discussed (where we could hear, anyway) how they feel about children?

I’d suggest asking Fishbait to perform at the wedding, to insure that he’ll actually show up.

quote:

IamJayBluE said, 1 day ago
“Scarcity”
“Unfurl The Sales, Hard To Pur-port”
“Fishing For A Dress? Block And Tackle!”
“I Never Would Have Guest”
“I’ve Seen All Good People” (♬)
“Endeavor And Lace”
“Thought Of Train”
“A Veiled Response”
“Seams, Not So Easy”
“Humble, In A China Silk Shop”
“Chiffon Off The Old Stock”
“Here’s Two Good Friends…Tonight Is Kinda Special…” (♪)
“Quality Over Quantity”
or
“The Hunt For White December”

quote:

amJayBluE said, 1 day ago
“Brought to you, by”…

“Number One Machine And Supply”…..“For the top of the line in quality fabrics and sewing machines, the name to remember is Number One!”…“With Number One, you can make it sew!”
-
“Pragmatic Adjustable Threaders”….“For the busy multitaskers….as well as the most thrifty! So handy and effortless, even a chef could do it, in the middle of the supper crowds!…Just don’t spool your dinner…”
-
“Subpoena Invitation and Greeting Card Company”….“Got a family reunion? A boring engagement you want them to suffer enjoy and sit through attend? Send ‘em a special custom note, from Subpoena…. they’ll be sure to know you cared enough! And they’ll be sure to make it…”
-
And, “by”…
“The Marta Stalwart Collection”….“This week, on sale, at OkayMart…”

quote:

Mordock999 GoComics PRO Member said, about 23 hours ago
A $200 Wedding Dress, You Say?
Toni? YOU are in LUCK My Dear!
Your Unca Mordy just so happens to have this STASH of White COFFEE Bean Sacks Laying around that would make a GREAT Wedding Dress!
Annnnnnd, I’ve Got a Bunch of Grandma’s Old Tea Cozys that would make a VERY Lovely Veil!
YOURS for $199.00 Plus Tax! (Hey, I Gotta Pay the Governor)
No Worries! Just get Good Old Gunther to Sew All of that Stuff together for Ya!
Oh DON’T Fret about Him. He’s Got LOTS of Free Time on His Hands while Team Evans Continues to STALL His ‘Romance’ with Tiffany….,

fort knox

Flying Mccoys

Dustin

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

I don't understand that Dustin. What type of mouth breather does it take to have difficulty using a debit/credit card reader?

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

I've never seen this happen and in Finland we've basically stopped using cash outside private to private transactions. What I have seen are old people paying with cash and noticing it takes noticeably longer for them to get their payment done.

Hell for things under €25 I can just hold the card against the reader until 3 blue lights light up and it beeps. Automatic payment done.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Strontium posted:

Take It From the Tinkersons

"Did you wash your hair?"
"Yes."
"Are you sure? Because it looks like poo poo."

dordreff
Jul 16, 2013

When he finds out about contactless payments, is he going to have a fit about them being too fast?

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

In the US they've just started rolling out chip and pin debit cards to major retailers. We're way behind Europe in both technology and infrastructure that it takes a good 5-10 seconds for each step of the process to go through. So the reader asks you to insert your card, then wait, then asks if you want cash back, then wait, then verify the amount is correct, then wait, then enter your PIN, then wait, then remove your card. Compounding the issue is some stores might ask questions in a different order or skip the cash back option or throw new questions at you like asking if you want to donate to a charity or something, so for people unused to them it's easy to yank your card out too soon.

Unrelated to our laughable banking systems, how old are these Go Comics posters? You won't have the widest selection, but there's wedding gowns out there under $200 that aren't flour sacks or Carol Burnett's Gone With the Wind dress.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Comic Strip Megathread 10-2: Team Evans Continues to STALL His ‘Romance’ with Tiffany….,

csammis
Aug 26, 2003

Mental Institution

Mercury Hat posted:

In the US they've just started rolling out chip and pin debit cards to major retailers. We're way behind Europe in both technology and infrastructure that it takes a good 5-10 seconds for each step of the process to go through. So the reader asks you to insert your card, then wait, then asks if you want cash back, then wait, then verify the amount is correct, then wait, then enter your PIN, then wait, then remove your card. Compounding the issue is some stores might ask questions in a different order or skip the cash back option or throw new questions at you like asking if you want to donate to a charity or something, so for people unused to them it's easy to yank your card out too soon.

There's also the hilarious wrinkle of all vendors being at different levels of adoption if it their chip readers work at all. Lowes has their chip reader working...if you're using a credit card. If you put in a chipped debit card then after that 5-10 second wait it tells you to remove the card and revert to sliding it with the magstripe :rolleye:

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!

Mercury Hat posted:

My personal favorite right now is Rite Aid. I have a debit card that also works as a straight Visa. If I insert it in the chip reader it says "no, this card needs to be swiped." So I swipe it. It asks me "credit or debit," I select "credit," then it says "oh, this card needs to be inserted."

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

delfin posted:

My personal favorite right now is Rite Aid. I have a debit card that also works as a straight Visa. If I insert it in the chip reader it says "no, this card needs to be swiped." So I swipe it. It asks me "credit or debit," I select "credit," then it says "oh, this card needs to be inserted."

Oh man I'm glad I'm not the only one who has to deal with this at Rite Aid

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Okay, now that I understand the context maybe this isn't just Ed going through his "medium and large cup" routine. Here they have recently started using RFID on cards like HDS said, and I've seen people not knowing how to use them but that'll pass.

Daduzi
Nov 22, 2005

You can't hide from the Grim Reaper. Especially when he's got a gun.
Man, here in China we've got chip & pin, contactless AND phone pay via QR code (vendor just scans the screen on your phone). Which would be the fastest way to pay except the person using it waits until the total comes up before retreiving their phone, booting up the app, getting lost, finding the right part of the app and only then holding it up to scan. EVERY drat TIME.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Nenonen posted:

What type of mouth breather does it take to have difficulty using a debit/credit card reader?

Customers.

"OK, slide the card in and leave it in until it beeps at you"
*puts card in, immediately yanks it out*
*gets mad at machine because they can't follow simple directions*

Byzantine fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Sep 7, 2016

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

The problem is that the system in the US kinda sucks right now and takes too long and people really have issues with the thing taking so much longer than it used to, I think.

Still an improvement over when we had the slot but not the software and people would just wander up and shove the card in there and cause the whole system to flip its poo poo for like a week because someone kept putting the thing back customer-facing. Disconnect/reconnect, full reboots, nothing worked. It would just decide it was okay again after a week or so and then we'd have time before some jerk put it back customer-facing and everything flipped out again.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Tina's Groove

Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Dilbert

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Shugojin posted:

Still an improvement over when we had the slot but not the software and people would just wander up and shove the card in there and cause the whole system to flip its poo poo for like a week because someone kept putting the thing back customer-facing. Disconnect/reconnect, full reboots, nothing worked. It would just decide it was okay again after a week or so and then we'd have time before some jerk put it back customer-facing and everything flipped out again.

A store near me had a similar problem and "solved" it by putting credit-card sized slips of plastic in the slots that read "do not use slot".

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool
I think I'm just going to assume the Fort Knox characters have no lower torsos. Half their body mass is in their eyes' ability to bug out.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Strontium posted:

Intelligent Life
Is that actually a thing? You can go into the shop and just play with legos?

His Divine Shadow posted:

Hell for things under €25 I can just hold the card against the reader until 3 blue lights light up and it beeps. Automatic payment done.
It's even better in Australia. You can use it for any amount, you just have to input your PIN afterwards if it's over $100.

Unless you're buying a train ticket, because everything about that has to be as slow and inconvenient as possible.

Mercury Hat posted:

Oh my god, how do you have the entire rest of the world to copy from and end up with a worse system than literally everyone else? You'd think the one advantage of waiting so long would be that all the kinks are ironed out and you can get the system working pretty much flawlessly right away. :stare:

delfin posted:

:psyduck:

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

Tiggum posted:

Oh my god, how do you have the entire rest of the world to copy from and end up with a worse system than literally everyone else?

It's pretty much our M.O. :911:

But yeah, nthing the "Dustin is actually somewhat reasonable for a change" on this one.

Kumaton
Mar 6, 2013

OWLBEARS, SON

Tiggum posted:

Yeah, LEGO stores usually have little brick bins out and play areas for little kids. The one near my house used to have a downhill ramp and parts to build cars. They also have racks of Minifigure parts so you can build your own and buy them for like $12. I don't think they let you build any of the sets, though. Usually they're locked in display cases.

treasureplane
Jul 12, 2008

throwing darts in lovers' eyes, &c.
King Aroo (August 15, 1951)

Nancy (September 29, 1943)

Wash Tubbs (June 12, 1929)

Gasoline Alley (June 27, 1923)

Barney Google (June 28, 1922)

Alley Oop (September 27, 1933)

Lil' Abner (February 24, 1937)

painynumbs
Apr 1, 2011

Kumaton posted:

Yeah, LEGO stores usually have little brick bins out and play areas for little kids. The one near my house used to have a downhill ramp and parts to build cars. They also have racks of Minifigure parts so you can build your own and buy them for like $12. I don't think they let you build any of the sets, though. Usually they're locked in display cases.

Tiggum posted:

My nephew loves Lego stores for this reason. And I love taking him there because then I can build Legos with him, and who doesn't enjoy that. But yeah, as far as I know, they probably don't want/allow a gaggle of adults to sit on child-sized stools and build a Death Star or something for eight hours. Stupid comic.

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!

EasyEW posted:

Thimble Theater (March 26, 1930)

It's hard to imagine how Popeye stole the main character slot from Castor after reading this arc.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Guys I think Mark Trail has had some issues damaging boats in the past. I'm not entirely sure though, I could be wrong, so I hope the strip finally clarifies this over the course of the next several weeks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

treasureplane posted:

Lil' Abner (February 24, 1937)

That isn't Abner in the last panel?

• Locked thread