Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What type of plants are you interested in growing?
This poll is closed.
Perennials! 142 20.91%
Annuals! 30 4.42%
Woody plants! 62 9.13%
Succulent plants! 171 25.18%
Tropical plants! 60 8.84%
Non-vascular plants are the best! 31 4.57%
Screw you, I'd rather eat them! 183 26.95%
Total: 679 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

Cheston posted:

I haven't kept any potted plants before, but I'd like to have a few in my apartment. I have a mild pollen allergy, and my roommate has an insane pollen allergy- is it possible to just prune the buds of a perennial before they flower? Is that a thing people can do?

You're probably not allergic to anything that you'd grow on purpose, at least indoors. But yeah there's no reason you couldn't do that if you wanted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Cheston posted:

I haven't kept any potted plants before, but I'd like to have a few in my apartment. I have a mild pollen allergy, and my roommate has an insane pollen allergy- is it possible to just prune the buds of a perennial before they flower? Is that a thing people can do?

It sure is. Of course, it depends on the plant, but some plants will put out buds even more vigorously since you tried to remove their chance at making babies. That usually happens with annuals though, perennials always have next year.

Edit: also, on some perennials, the flowers are pretty insignificant. Maybe search those out?

kid sinister fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Aug 23, 2016

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler
Like I said you're almost certainly just allergic to certain local weeds or trees and not anything you'd grow as a houseplant. If you're really worried you could even keep the flowers and just use some tweezers to take off the anthers.

vonnegutt
Aug 7, 2006
Hobocamp.
There are a lot of houseplants that don't or only rarely flower. You might look into those rather than having to keep on top of pruning. Off the top of my head, my jade plant, spider plant, and sansevierias (mother in law's tongue) have never flowered indoors.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Pothos plants are great beginner indoor plants because they look cool and freshen the air and they're virtually impossible to kill unless you don't water the thing for several months. We have one that we grew from a clipping from a friend's plant and it does great off in a corner with only low amounts of indirect sunlight and a smattering of water every two weeks. I don't think I've fertilized it in over a year.

You could also get a cactus or a rubber plant. Thery're also basically indestructible and don't flower all that often/ever.

robotindisguise
Mar 22, 2003
Silver squill is my favorite indoor plant. So long as it isn't in direct sun, it'll never flower.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)
Good to know, thanks for the advice! Worst case, if a plant does become a problem I guess I can always get rid of it.

When I was a kid I brought home Comfrey from a day camp. It looked dead when I got it and I didn't plant it for another week or so. It came back to life pretty much the moment it hit soil, and I've grown pretty fond of it over the years :3: I think I'm going to bring a cutting home with me next time I'm at my family's house.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

scuzzy pumper posted:

Looks like woolly aphids (not fungus). You can spray them. The plant is sick though, that's why it has aphids (not vice versa). Probably it needs more water.

It gets watered every day and the plants next to the one that died are doing gangbusters.

goodnight mooned
Aug 2, 2007

FCKGW posted:

It gets watered every day and the plants next to the one that died are doing gangbusters.

Well to confirm that it's bugs - scrape some off and have a close look, perhaps under a magnifying glass, it will be well wriggly and bloody and gross. Then you can spray the whole lot with an oil or pesticide, replant the dead one and keep an eye on it, should be okay.

Pidgin Englishman
Apr 30, 2007

If you shoot
you better hit your mark
Hey botanical goons, what is this? We're just entering spring btw.

robotindisguise
Mar 22, 2003
Looks like loquat.

Pidgin Englishman
Apr 30, 2007

If you shoot
you better hit your mark
Nice! Yeah, looks like it. Now to the pie recipes!

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

This colony doesn't look particularly friendly. Anyone know what it is?

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

I have those growing in several of my pots, it's a bit of a epidemic. However they don't seem to harm the plants at all. I usually just pull out the fruiting body and throw them away.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

anatomi posted:

This colony doesn't look particularly friendly. Anyone know what it is?

Leucocoprinus birnbaumii, a mushroom very common to houseplants and greenhouses. They won't hurt your plant and won't hurt you unless you eat them (they are not death cap level poisonous, but don't eat them). They are incredibly hard to get rid of though because the spores get everywhere, and once one plant is contaminated, it will almost inevitably spread to others. If you're really bothered by it, isolate the plant and try repotting it, but don't be surprised if they reappear.

Arbor
Jun 9, 2010
I am growing some basket gourds for the first time this year. I realized that I have some ladybug larvae hanging out on some of the leaves, and a chunk of leaves in one spot are covered in... something. A bunch of tiny critters (whatever the larvae are eating, I guess. Go ladybugs, go!) and debris. I was wondering if any of you more experienced folk might be able to tell me what is on my plant?

I thought at first all the lil brown orbs were eggs of some sort, but I'm realizing/thinking that those are actually a bug. There's some little green ones that are harder to see, the same size and shape and it looks like they've got lil legs, though I havent seen any of them be active. The white specks seem to just be debris? The fat lil bugs are on both top and bottoms of the leaves.

I figure whatever it is, it's serving a purpose in feeding the ladybug larvae, even if it's also snacking on that vine, but I'd be interested in finding out what exactly the ladybugs are dealing with at least. I would have guessed some general kind of aphid but I dont know that I've ever seen em so fat and round before.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

They look like whitefly nymphs, but it's a bit hard to tell for certain.

fuzzy_logic
May 2, 2009

unfortunately hideous and irreverislbe

I have a question about my Garrya Elliptica: I live in California in its natural range so I went ahead and planted one in my yard last year. However, I live right my the ocean and the poor thing hates the blasting winds we get. Every one of its (well technically his I guess) leaves has turned brown from wind scorch but haven't fallen off. The core plant is still alive, it just looks horrible. My question is should I try sheltering and increasing water where it is now to nurse it back, or, I have a more sheltered spot about ten feet away where it might be happier. Is it more harmful to dig the guy up now after a year acclimating and being stressed from wind damage, or is it worth the risk to move it from a place it's so obviously unhappy in to one sheltered by a corner of a wall?

Thanks! I'll post some pics of my other natives once they get leaves back, they're all in summer mode and look horrible right now.

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich
I would go ahead and move it to a more sheltered location away from the wind. With any luck it might be able to recover. I never heard of Garrya Elliptica, but it seems like a very beautiful plant.

fuzzy_logic
May 2, 2009

EagerSleeper posted:

I would go ahead and move it to a more sheltered location away from the wind. With any luck it might be able to recover. I never heard of Garrya Elliptica, but it seems like a very beautiful plant.

My neighbor up the street has a stunning one around eight feet tall in her front yard so I figured I could totally have one too, didn't realize what a difference several blocks makes. I'll poke around and see if the roots have even really established, I bet I can get it up while the weather's mild. Whenever I do google searches on them I get a lot of British results back, I guess Brits are obsessed with the things and trying to coax them to grow in England.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

fuzzy_logic posted:

My neighbor up the street has a stunning one around eight feet tall in her front yard so I figured I could totally have one too, didn't realize what a difference several blocks makes. I'll poke around and see if the roots have even really established, I bet I can get it up while the weather's mild. Whenever I do google searches on them I get a lot of British results back, I guess Brits are obsessed with the things and trying to coax them to grow in England.

If any plant can't survive several blocks away, then the difference has to be an extremely local one, ones like sunlight, weather exposure and soil. You aren't trying to grow this thing on a concrete slab in a wide open field in a hurricane, are you?

fuzzy_logic
May 2, 2009

kid sinister posted:

If any plant can't survive several blocks away, then the difference has to be an extremely local one, ones like sunlight, weather exposure and soil. You aren't trying to grow this thing on a concrete slab in a wide open field in a hurricane, are you?

San Francisco! Because of the hill contours, one block can have a rather different climate than a half mile down the road. In this case we get constant wind from the ocean and the tract houses on her street shelter her yard but our house is detatched from the neighbors so the wind blows through. I think I'll try to move him into a corner of the wall to give him a better shot.

Arbor
Jun 9, 2010

Enfys posted:

They look like whitefly nymphs, but it's a bit hard to tell for certain.

Yeah, sorry! I don't have a decent camera for photos, and that was the best I could do with potato-phone on a windy day. You were right though! I've been keeping an eye on them and finally was able to identify a few once they grew up a bit.

I'm hoping the ladybug larvae are at least feasting like kings. The pests are on leaves a good distance away from any of my actual gourds - maybe I should be more worried about them than I am, but mostly I just wanted to know what they were. I'm cool with sacrificing a vine to feed some ladybugs.

Bast Relief
Feb 21, 2006

by exmarx
I'm sick of this poo poo and can't get a straight answer anywhere, and maybe there isn't any. What the hell can I do about these stupid loving moth caterpillars?

They used to come and go every other year, but now three years in a row they have poo poo all over my geraniums in the summer - fall transition. They don't gently caress with anything else in my garden for long, even stuff that looks way easier to eat, like my columbines or hibiscus new growth. They'll nibble here and there, but they really go to town on my geraniums and make them look like poo poo. Like, these plants are hardy fuckers and always bounce back amazingly but I'm tired of their beauty being cut short.

I've used that garden dust before. It didn't hold back their numbers. More recently I've been using a pyrithrin spray. It seems to have kept the assault down as I'm not finding as many caterpillars, but maybe it's just coincidental with the end of their season.

I'm not sure how well this poo poo works anyway, as I read that they can metabolize the toxin and recover from paralysis. I watched this one dumb rear end get stuck in an abandoned spiderweb after spraying him, and then eventually just dangle there completely limp. Next day he was gone, but who knows, he could have been the same rear end in a top hat I just chopped in half with my shears today.This is what I do every loving day. Chop caterpillars in half.

One time, I somehow missed chopping this one fucker, and he reared up and started lunging at my shears. gently caress you!

Anyway, what to do? I am getting so grossed out murdering these things.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler
Bt kills caterpillars good and doesn't hurt anything else.

Bast Relief
Feb 21, 2006

by exmarx
Thank you. I never see this stuff in the store. I'll try the local nursery instead of Lowes.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

Bast Relief posted:

Thank you. I never see this stuff in the store. I'll try the local nursery instead of Lowes.

Yeah your local nursery should have it. It's a bacterial toxin that crystallizes in the caterpillar gut and kills them. Other insects and animals are unaffected. The gene that produces it has also been inserted into various crops to protect from pests.

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We
Just moved into a new place and planted my tesco roses into the ground, they're about 4 months old and I left them alone a month at a time in 2 litres of water each time. They grew new rosebuds each time. They are extremely study and I hope they will survive in the ground as well as they fared in a pot of water.

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We
Also just planted a bunch of random flower seeds, tulips and such, gonna water them every day and see how many survive with my benign neglect.

I've got big patches of the garden covered in weeds and unattractive grasses. What's the best way to grow nice uniform grass without too much effort?

robotindisguise
Mar 22, 2003

Lichy posted:

What's the best way to grow nice uniform grass without too much effort?

Might as well ask for the meaning of life while you're at it.

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We
I'm thinking about just nuking it with glyphosate and a rake at this point followed by an extremely generous amount of grass seed because screw even trying to uproot half of this garden by hand.

Except for the flower areas obviously.

robotindisguise
Mar 22, 2003
Did you already consider cutting back on your lawn areas and expanding your beds? Unless you have a specific area you or your fellow occupants want to roll around or play games on: get rid of it. I shaved 20 minutes off my weekly mow time by eliminating my side yard lawns that no one ever looked at. Now that we have interesting plants and edibles instead of crummy lawn we visit those previously unused areas because it's interesting and fun.

Big Nubbins
Jun 1, 2004

Lichy posted:

What's the best way to grow nice uniform grass without too much effort?

Don't touch it and let it grow to maximum height. :v: Seriously though, preventing a patch of monocropped grass species from reverting into wild meadow takes a lot of work out of necessity, since you're fighting nature here. I find that mowing as high as possible helps the grass retain moisture and compete with other species in my lawn with little work. You probably don't want to see my lawn, though, as it's a mix of various grasses, timothy, plantain (in the compacted areas), ajuga, lemon balm, dutch and red clover, yarrow, wild carrot, dandelion, and I'm sure some others I forgot to mention.

Plants in General: My yard is Thunderdome.

vonnegutt
Aug 7, 2006
Hobocamp.

Shame Boner posted:

Don't touch it and let it grow to maximum height. :v: Seriously though, preventing a patch of monocropped grass species from reverting into wild meadow takes a lot of work out of necessity, since you're fighting nature here. I find that mowing as high as possible helps the grass retain moisture and compete with other species in my lawn with little work.

What they said. We follow a very low-maintenance lawn schedule:

- Don't mow for the first time until late May or early June. We wait til our lawn is absolutely scraggly, because I have some crocuses growing in there that I don't want to kill. It has the bonus side effect of letting the lawn reseed itself somewhat in the early spring, which covers up a lot of problems.

- Mow on the highest setting.

- In the fall, use a metal rake to scrape up any matted clippings or poorly growing spots (We use a mulching mower so it leaves the clippings in place, but after the whole summer, matted grass clippings will prevent new grass from taking root)

- Spring and fall, before it is supposed to rain, scatter some grass seeds on poorly growing spots

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Hey guys, I've got some cool photos of carnivorous plants that are just kicking around so I decided to post them here.

Drosera graomogolensis from Brazil.

Nepenthes fusca from Borneo.

Pinguicula gypsicola × moctezumae, a hybrid of two Mexican species.

Utricularia blanchetii from Brazil.

Nepenthes eymae × jacquelineae, a hybrid of plants from Sulawesi and Sumatra, respectively.

Nepenthes veitchii × platychila, a hybrid of two plants from Borneo.

Drosera binata 'Marston Dragon', a cultivar of Australian plants.

Nepenthes robcantleyi from Mindanao, in the Philippines.

Anyway those are some plants.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

Those are great pictures! I especially love the Nepenthes eymae x jacquelineae and the Marston Dragon

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

melon cat fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Mar 16, 2019

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Speaking of carnivorous plants, someone's post here has made me want to try a sundew + growlight setup in our kitchen to control fruit flies.

Does anyone have a preferred online source for plants? The local nursery I like here in Austin was barren of carnivorous plants, let alone Home Depot.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

That was probably my post, since I tell people to do the whole desklamp-and-sundew thing all the time. I also happen to work at probably the best online source for carnivorous plants, Predatory Plants. Let me know if you order anything and I'll make sure you get the illest sundews in the greenhouse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Kenning posted:

That was probably my post, since I tell people to do the whole desklamp-and-sundew thing all the time. I also happen to work at probably the best online source for carnivorous plants, Predatory Plants. Let me know if you order anything and I'll make sure you get the illest sundews in the greenhouse.

Thanks! Pretty sure it was you. Put in an order and sent you a PM.