Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING

NeverAfter posted:

See, this is the thing that never made sense to me. Every time I go over it my brain just goes :psyduck:

If he was declared innocent due to insanity, why was Mia's mother wrong and thus ostracized? She fingered the right guy, he was just declared insane. That means his defense is basically he admits to doing it, but wasn't in his right mind. So she was right. And yet there's this whole scandal which ruined around ten peoples lives... about what?

Practically nobody actually understands the insanity defense, least of all the writers of this game. You aren't declared "innocent due to insanity," and then you just prance off free as a bird. The court declares you insane, and therefore not capable of being held properly responsible for your actions, and then you basically get shut up in a mental institution until you're deemed sane enough to rejoin society; the last I heard, in the US this averages something like twice as long as the prison sentence would have been. Practically no one in real life uses the insanity defense unless their attorney thinks the alternative is legitimately worse for all involved. Plus, this is Japanifornia, where the only way to actually be declared innocent of a crime is for someone else to be fingered as the perpetrator. So I imagine Yogi's insanity defense was something along the lines of "your honor, my client is literally too crazy to have shot Gregory Edgeworth in the first place, so since it couldn't have been the small child it had to be the elevator goblin that makes the magic room go up and down."

Incidentally I think there was also a certain amount of witness suppression and evidence tampering going on, given that in the second game we're told some stuff about Fey family spirit channelling that means it would have been super obvious to anyone actually present at the seance whether or not Misty Fey was faking it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Dr. Buttass posted:

Plus, this is Japanifornia, where the only way to actually be declared innocent of a crime is for someone else to be fingered as the perpetrator.

So I take it Phoenix won't get the defendant cleared due to the prosecution filing the incorrect charges or something. And the words "justifiable homicide" will never pass anyone's lips.

I have to wonder if the Prohibition-era bootlegger George Remus inspired the common view of the insanity defense, since he got only eight months for chasing and gunning down his ex-wife in broad daylight. Jury only deliberated for 19 minutes, and said the light verdict was a Christmas present.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Dr. Buttass posted:

The court declares you insane, and therefore not capable of being held properly responsible for your actions, and then you basically get shut up in a mental institution until you're deemed sane enough to rejoin society; the last I heard, in the US this averages something like twice as long as the prison sentence would have been.

I want to play devils advocate here. If it's some extreme case in a state with capital punishment.
If a guy certifiably killed 40 people to smear their inner ear fluid over his eyeballs for some weird ritual, it might be the better decision. It would certainly take decades, but at least he has a theoretical chance to see the sunlight again. At the very least, it would probably prolong his life a bit.

Bacon In A Wok
Jan 27, 2014
I suppose you might? with a whole bunch of fridge logic and secondary evidence, manage to assert that the whole "all trials last three days tops, someone must be found guilty at the end of things" has only recently been codified into Japanifornia law; bonus points if public reaction to DL-6 is actually an impetus for making that happen. You'd run into suspension of disbelief problems that such a major change in governance has become so universally accepted so quickly, but we've clearly got that anyway.

Iny
Jan 11, 2012

Bacon In A Wok posted:

I suppose you might? with a whole bunch of fridge logic and secondary evidence, manage to assert that the whole "all trials last three days tops, someone must be found guilty at the end of things" has only recently been codified into Japanifornia law

We know that's true about the three-day trials at least. Like, for a fact, in this very game they talk about that is a relatively new thing implemented to deal with a huge upturn in criminal behavior.

Now, "relatively new" might be stretched to "like twenty-plus years ago, 'new' like 'the modern era' is new", but it certainly isn't the traditional way Japanifornia has always done things.

Although it could well be that the trials just took longer to declare the original suspect 100% unavoidably guilty unless a clear-cut alternate murderer was found.

Wonderslug
Apr 3, 2011

You don't say.
Fallen Rib

Jabor posted:

Right, but Yanni Yogi still shot the victim, which is exactly what Misty Fey said. "Too crazy to call it murder" doesn't mean that the spirit medium was somehow wrong.

Or are spirits in japanifornia expected to be able to judge the exact mental state of the person who killed them?

When have facts ever stopped someone from being pilloried by the media? It was an embarrassing case with an unsatisfying resolution. Plus, imagine how it must have played out in the news: lawyer shot in a courthouse elevator containing one dude with a gun and his own son and the police have to bring in a psychic? Golly what a hard case to crack, thank goodness Madame Blavatsky was there to finger the right dude with her PHENOMENAL SPIRITUAL POWERS, I am sure she is totally legit now.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Mors Rattus posted:

It also says: "This is your last chance! Now is your time to get revenge o nthe two men who ruined your life!" ...

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Wonderslug posted:

When have facts ever stopped someone from being pilloried by the media? It was an embarrassing case with an unsatisfying resolution. Plus, imagine how it must have played out in the news: lawyer shot in a courthouse elevator containing one dude with a gun and his own son and the police have to bring in a psychic? Golly what a hard case to crack, thank goodness Madame Blavatsky was there to finger the right dude with her PHENOMENAL SPIRITUAL POWERS, I am sure she is totally legit now.

Wasn't Misty used by Hammond, aka the Defense Attorney, though?

So in trying to use a psychic to clear the guy's name, said (supposed) ghost goes "nah, he did it bro".

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Nevermind. Misread something.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

KataraniSword posted:

Wasn't Misty used by Hammond, aka the Defense Attorney, though?

So in trying to use a psychic to clear the guy's name, said (supposed) ghost goes "nah, he did it bro".

No, it's mentioned that the police hired her back in case 2.

As for why? They presumably didn't have any airtight proof that Yogi did it. Somehow. Despite him and Miles being the only other two people in the elevator, and they're obviously not going to consider that a little kid killed his own father.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

There's a lot more questionable poo poo about Gregory Pecks murder that the game hasn't brought up yet.

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008

IAmTheRad posted:

You need to take a look back at the second case.

Grossberg had a picture of Misty Fey on his desk that had DL-6 written on it.

The police requested Misty Fey's spirit medium powers to help in their investigation of DL-6. Grossberg helped with this. The police didn't want the public to know that the police used a Spirit Medium. Grossberg told White. White told the media. White decided to hold the dagger over Grossberg. Remember, the statute of limitations isn't over for the case, and it's still considered unsolved. Thus, Misty Fey was declared a fraud.

Remember, Yanni Yogi was declared insane. He couldn't be held responsible for murder. If the case was solved, there would be no issue with the statute of limitations.

You're misremembering Grossberg's initial involvement. After Yogi got declared innocent the police were the first to accuse Misty of fraud (either due to police stupidity or just to save face, we don't get much on this). Misty herself went to Grossberg who successfully defended her legally, but then sold what he learned from her to White.

So it's actually worse for her than you thought, but yeah all the information about Misty the public has access to says outright that she's a fraud, even if she was technically right.

Dr. Buttass posted:

Incidentally I think there was also a certain amount of witness suppression and evidence tampering going on, given that in the second game we're told some stuff about Fey family spirit channelling that means it would have been super obvious to anyone actually present at the seance whether or not Misty Fey was faking it.

Uh...are you talking about how Misty would've turned into Gregory Edgeworth? We've seen Maya channel Mia twice in this game; that isn't a spoiler even though you're being hush-hush about it. Only the police were there though, and they decided to keep the whole thing confidential.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Regalingualius posted:

No, it's mentioned that the police hired her back in case 2.

As for why? They presumably didn't have any airtight proof that Yogi did it. Somehow. Despite him and Miles being the only other two people in the elevator, and they're obviously not going to consider that a little kid killed his own father.

Japanifornia police's refusal to consider children or birds murderers is a black mark against them.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Just for reference, the 3-day trial thing was NOT in effect at that point in time.

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING

whitehelm posted:

Uh...are you talking about how Misty would've turned into Gregory Edgeworth? We've seen Maya channel Mia twice in this game; that isn't a spoiler even though you're being hush-hush about it. Only the police were there though, and they decided to keep the whole thing confidential.

The game's been kind of cagey about it. I've only played the second game and even then I thought the "turning into Mia" thing was just a fanciful way of artistically representing the channelling until "no that's literally happening" was a plot point.

Rattus did ask us to keep spoilers to a minimum, you know...

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

The third case clearly had the kid being like "oh poo poo this girl is hot" with Mia-Maya specifically.

It was creepy as gently caress, but it happened, so it's not really a massive spoiler.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Yeah, Maya is pretty explicitly taking the form of Mia. It's not really a spoiler to say.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester
: Could he be an innocent defendant you got declared guilty or something?
: Nice, Wright. But I don't remember that old man. Not at all.

God I love how passive-aggressive it is and Edgeworth just has to take it. That face is perfect.

Leif. fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Sep 5, 2016

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011
You people are overthinking the Misty Fey thing. The police contacted a spirit medium. She gave out an answer. The police pressed charges. The defendant was found innocent. Why doesn't matter--this is Japanafornia. The defendant was found innocent, ergo the prosecution and thus the police whose spirit medium pointed the finger lost. Thus, Misty Fey was seen as a fraud.

What's that? The person channeled said the defendant did it and he was found to have done it but not be legally culpable? I'm sorry, I can't hear you over your fraudiness.

Malah
May 18, 2015

... Is this making a particular point about expert testimony or did someone at the studio have an ex-girlfriend named Misty?

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
do you still not understand?
Guess what day it is today!

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

"I'm Jack Frost, ho! Nice to meet ya, hee ho!"

Happy deathiversery Mia! :woop:

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

MegaZeroX posted:

Happy deathiversery Mia! :woop:

Not yet. The game takes place in 2016, so Mia died today.

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
do you still not understand?
Technically she's still alive for another 12ish hours.

Mia would be working on Labor Day.

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008

ProfessorProf posted:

Technically ~11 hours as of this post. The text box says 8:57 PM and the game takes place in LA.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

ProfessorProf posted:

Justice never sleeps.

Glaive17
Oct 11, 2012

What is there left to discover about donuts...?
Pillbug

ProfessorProf posted:

But Phoenix, being just an assistant, was off, and that is why he wasn't there when Mia was attacked! It makes sense!

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Case 4 - Turnabout Goodbyes
Investigation (Day 3) - Part 3

We left off still talking to Grossberg about von Karma.

: He would know that Miles Edgeworth had accidentally killed his own father.
: ...!
: He'll say as much tomorrow in court, I should think. He'll press the point until the court finds Miles Edgeworth "guilty."
: Oh no!
: B-but how could von Karma know about Mr. Edgeworth's past like that? Even Mr. Edgeworth thought it was just a nightmare!
: Hmm... That, I do not know. Yet I do know that von Karma is both persistent... and a perfectionist.
: He may be seeking to satisfy a grudge against Gregory Edgeworth by hurting his son.
: What do you mean?
: It was fifteen years ago... von Karma met Gregory Edgeworth in court, and von Karma did win... But he didn't make it through the trial unscarred.

: What happened in the trial between Edgeworth's dad and von Karma?
: von Karma got the "guilty" verdict he wanted. He won the trial. But Gregory Edgeworth accused von Karma of faulty evidence. And though he lost the trial, Mr. Edgeworth's accusation stood.
: Faulty evidence?

: It was the only penalty von Karma has ever received in his career as a prosecutor. Gregory Edgeworth dealt a blow to his perfect trial record.
: Wow.
: It must have been quite a shock for von Karma. He took a vacation for several months after that, you see.
: A vacation...?
: Yes, an unusual event for the man. That was the first, and the last vacation he's taken in his many years of prosecuting.

: Like... go to the sea, or, uh, to the mountains?
: Don't tell me he's never been to Europe!?
: You have strange ideas about vacations, Maya.
: In any case... That was the only time he took a vacation from work. I believe the penalty upset him quite a lot.
: (Odd... If he wanted to keep a perfect record so badly... why would he take such a long vacation?)
: What do we do, Nick? von Karma is going to bring up DL-6, you can bet on it!
: What if Mr. Edgeworth pleads guilty to DL-6!?
: I won't let him!
: Erm, yes, Mr. Wright... I hate to say this... But even accidental murder is murder, you know.
: I know that! ... I... I just believe in Edgeworth's innocence! I can't believe he'd kill someone!
: B-but, Nick! Mr. Edgeworth admits it himself! His father must have lied to protect him, from beyond the grave...
: I don't care! I know he's not guilty!
: ... Mr. Wright... If you say so, I suppose I could go check again. The police files might hold something of interest.
: Mr. Grossberg... thank you!
: I can't promise anything. In fact, I think the chances of finding something are slim.
: I understand. (The police materials... hmm.)

We should check those out...but let's stop back at home first and regroup.

: Yeah... I know.
: Well, no time to waste! Let's get going!

: What do you think we should do now, Maya?
: You would know best, Nick!
: Just do what you do! That should work.

: Well? Had any good ideas?
: This is all tied to the DL-6 Incident... We'd better find out as much as we can about that murder before tomorrow!
: (Something that happened back then has a hold on Edgeworth and it won't let go.)

So, to the station!

: There's hardly anyone here...
: Everyone must be out looking for the old guy... Yogi.

: I don't think Gumshoe'll be coming back today. He's staying out late looking for someone.
: Sounds like Detective Gumshoe is pounding the pavement for real!
: Um, we were wondering if we could check out the Records Room again...
: Well, now, I can't have just anyone wandering around in there. But... I guess Mr. von Karma is in there now, anyway. You can go in as long as he's there.
: von Karma...?
: Yes. He just arrived actually.

: N-Nick! Let's hurry!

: Dusty as always!
: We were only here just yesterday. I'm sure they just haven't had time to clean... ...
: What's wrong, Nick?
: Nothing. I was just noticing that he isn't here. von Karma...

But something has definitely changed...

: Huh? One of the drawers here is open.
: Someone must have been looking in it recently.
: The label says, "Unsolved Cases: Evidence"

Yeah, they forgot a period.

: Hmm... "Unsolved cases"?
: Nick! The file for DL-6... it's completely empty!
: Wh-what!?

: v-v-von Karma!
: You...! ... How do you know my name?
: Huh?
: Have we met?

: We see each other every day, don't we?
: We're Miles Edgeworth's defense team!
: Defense team...?

: They are like bugs to me. Needless things, to be crushed.
: (I can see how this guy was Edgeworth's mentor.)

Hey, he seems friendly enough! Let's chat.

: Uh, umm... Mr. Edgeworth was your student, right?
: ... A romanticist who could never shed that veneer of amateurism. Just like his father. Always second rate.
: Mr. von Karma... You had an axe to grind with Mr. Gregory Edgeworth, didn't you?
: Me? A grudge against a mere defense attorney? Why?
: Because he dealt a blow to your otherwise perfect trial record?
: Hmph.
: So you did... but what I don't get is... Why did you take his son under your wing afterwards? The son of your most bitter rival?
: ... That, my dear attorney, is none of your business.

: Tomorrow will be the last day of this trial. It's been a while since I've had a defense attorney last this long. Still, you will lose in the end. Miles Edgeworth will admit his own guilt.
: His guilt of 15 years ago, you mean?
: ... You're quite the researcher. If you've done your homework so well, then certainly, you must understand. You know what Miles Edgeworth will tell the court tomorrow.
: (We were right... So von Karma is going to bring up DL-6 in court tomorrow.)

We can show him things, but with one exception, they don't do anything helpful.

: You think I, a prosecutor, would give you, a defense attorney, information? Bah!
: (Creep!)

But hey, maybe we should confront him with that letter he wrote...

: ...
: This was you, wasn't it? You instructed Yanni Yogi to commit murder.
: ... Yanni Yogi... How many years has it been since I've heard him called by that name.
: He's a fool. I told him to burn it after he read it.

: ...!
: S-so you admit it! You... you wrote Mr. Yogi this letter!
: Yes, my dear defense attorney. Thank you for taking the trouble to bring it to me. You've saved me from a lot of needless hassle.
: Wh-what!?
: N-Nick! What is that thing!?

: A stun gun. For self defense... usually.
: Indeed. 600,000 volts will course through your body like a dog touching an electric fence.
: Six hundred thous...!?
: Oh, don't worry. People don't die from it, usually. Now, give me the letter.
: (No!!!)
: Nooooooooooo!

: M-Maya!
: Out of my way!

: (Ugh... He got us. The letter's... gone, of course. And he took the DL-6 evidence... all of it. Back to having no clues. Wait... Maya jumped first. Maya...! Is she okay? ...)

The letter is gone from the Court Record, though at least the DL-6 files we got yesterday are not.

: Maya! Open your eyes!

: Maya!
: ... The letter! Did he take it?
: Huh!? Oh... yeah. A-are you okay!?
: ...

: I... I couldn't stop him. I jumped as fast as I could, but one shot from that thing knocked me out cold. I'm useless. I'm no good as a lawyer, or a medium! I can't even call my sister. Not even now, when we need her the most. I wish I hadn't woken up at all.

She fades back into unconsciousness.

: (Grr! There has to be some way I can help her! I'd better do something about her self-confidence, first.) ...? (Maya... she's holding something!)

: "DL-6 Incident, Evidence No. 7 Taken from the heart of Gregory Edgeworth." I remember... von Karma was holding this when Maya jumped him.

: (I'll prove it to you, Maya. You're most definitely not useless! I'll prove it to you in court tomorrow!)

Next time: Well, poo poo.

Pactus Legis Salicae XX (ca. 500) (translated) posted:

1. The freeman who touches the hand or arm or finger of a free woman or of any other woman, and it is proved against him, shall be liable to pay six hundred denarii.
2. If he touches her arm below the elbow, he shall be liable to pay twelve hundred denarii.
3. But if he places his hand above her elbow and it is proved against him, he shall be liable to pay fourteen hundred denarii.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I sure hope they made a copy of that letter.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Mraagvpeine posted:

I sure hope they made a copy of that letter.

Of course they didn't! That would be tampering with evidence!

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
I'd argue that this here scene stands out as one of the rare cases of extremely sloppy writing in the series. Of the many bad decisions you could make in this situation the one you have to do to progress really stands out as the stupidest one humanly possible, and the game forcing you into it to move the plot forward is just bad and dumb.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Sharing our suspicions with Redd White and Dee Vasquez worked out so well the last two times. Why not do the the same with Von Karma? :bravo:

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Hell, at least during the last few times all Phoenix had was suspicions that Redd White or Dee Vasques were involved in the case somehow. This one takes the cake due to literally having decisive evidence in his pocket that the person he's confroting had instigated murder.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

So Von Karma led Edgeworth down the path of dark prosecution and cravats and is now going to have him executed for murder entirely to spite a guy who is already dead in order to avenge loving up his time-table a little.

Dude is a pathetic, petty piece of poo poo.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

I like the part where there's screaming and a ruckus going on in the police department's records room, and nobody comes in to see what's happened.

Then again, knowing Japanifornia Police, they probably would have seen Phoenix and Maya at the scene and arrested them immediately as the assailants.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Cerebral Bore posted:

Hell, at least during the last few times all Phoenix had was suspicions that Redd White or Dee Vasques were involved in the case somehow. This one takes the cake due to literally having decisive evidence in his pocket that the person he's confroting had instigated murder.

Not to mention that this guy is the prosecution he's going up against in court tomorrow.

Night10194 posted:

So Von Karma led Edgeworth down the path of dark prosecution and cravats and is now going to have him executed for murder entirely to spite a guy who is already dead in order to avenge loving up his time-table a little.

Dude is a pathetic, petty piece of poo poo.

Von Karma is a little sensitive about his perfect record. Just a little.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
What was phoenix really hoping to do there? Wave the murdernote in Von Karma's face and go 'neener neener neeeeener'?

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

The First of the Adorable Dead
Ya, giving this law system showing that note in court might have been enough to convict Yanni Yogi and Von Karma of the murder...

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

I nearly threw the DS at the wall the first time I played this, leaving the conversation and wandering around to see if there was another trigger I was missing because this was idiotic in so many ways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
The game really drops the ball here. Not only is it idiotic from a writing standpoint, from a gameplay standpoint, it punishes players for having common sense and not showing off their trump card in front of von Karma.

• Locked thread