Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
is that good
Apr 14, 2012
Hurkyl's doesn't draw you a bunch of cards or let you choose to leave some on the field

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

I could see this seeing play in vintage. Tap a bunch of moxen for mana, bounce them and a snapcaster back, maybe a revoker, draw a bunch of cards, replay them again and have a new hand and a really big storm count.

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

Minority Deport posted:

This right here is what we call a combo piece.

This is for whoever keeps saying WoTC never prints good and fun spells anymore.

uninverted
Nov 10, 2011

Minority Deport posted:

This right here is what we call a combo piece.

I really want to experiment with this in modern elves.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

that reservoir is hilarious

Elyv fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Sep 7, 2016

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS
Chandra now on TCG preordering for $60, lmao

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
aetherflux reservoir is loving stupid and i love it

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

80s James Hetfield posted:

Pre-order price isn't something I am worried about. New lily seems to be stuck around 40 bucks and I fear the set wasn't well opened.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Oh no, this is really good for my mono-black Oloro deck. Actually, this seems really good for Duel Commander, where a lot of decks will just be able to kill on turn four.

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Me and the boys on the way to kill another demon god

Would it really have killed them to put Shock on a stick rather than Lava Dart?

I'm a red player who's never satisified

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend

BJPaskoff posted:

Oh no, this is really good for my mono-black Oloro deck. Actually, this seems really good for Duel Commander, where a lot of decks will just be able to kill on turn four.

I sense stupid Ajani, Mentor of Heroes / Doubling Season AetherCannon ridiculousness in EDH.

Also, gently caress Oloro.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Elyv posted:

This is 8 spells from 14+ life if you were wondering.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

80s James Hetfield posted:

there have been two cards in MTG history that would have been smart to preorder at $60 for. as good as this card looks, thats pretty loving long odds

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Elyv posted:

Infinite life gain finally has a wincon other than the opponent conceding. I like it.

Also, weird that not all the puzzleknots do the same thing (some give energy, some don't).

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Storm in standard :byodood:. Seems like a good use for Saheeli incidentally.

InterrupterJones posted:

Would it really have killed them to put Shock on a stick rather than Lava Dart?

I'm a red player who's never satisified
The other puzzleknots are equally terrible to be fair.

Elblanco
May 26, 2008
I like the reservoir, but it also makes me angry because there's one smug rear end in a top hat at my LGS that plays a janky-rear end B/w life drain deck, and I know he's going to think his deck will be amazing with this new card.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

It seems that energy is primary in blue and green, though all colors get it (much like morph). Those effects are also a lot smaller than the others; get two 1/1s, deal two damage, and draw two cards are all worth a card, while gain 6 life and scry two twice aren't.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Elyv posted:

The blue and black ones seem really good. The red and white ones seem pretty mediocre. Looking back at the green one it's probably alright and it gets better if you need energy.

The reservoir is indeed hillarious. Too bad it won't be around with Whisperwood Elemental and Mastery of the Unseen.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

En Fuego posted:

Also, gently caress Oloro.

My Oloro deck is mono-black so I have the duals and can also play "mono black" cards I got Sheldon'd out of playing such as Memory Plunder, Oona, Divinity of Pride, Phyrexian Metamorph, etc. It's more fair and interesting than Esper Control Oloro, but I still never play it because Commander is terrible unless you're playing with friends and my friends all moved into other games that were actually designed for multiplayer.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

5 mana Sign in Blood doesn't seem like a good deal to me.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

Irony Be My Shield posted:

5 mana Sign in Blood doesn't seem like a good deal to me.

The closest comparison I can think of is Think Twice - you have to pay for the first half at sorcery speed, but it doesn't have any color requirements, and it's in a color which is less likely to get that sort of incremental spell (plus it's an artifact).

I think it synergizes well with Grim Flayer, and it's possible it makes its way into a G/B deck of some kind.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

The puzzleknots are a really bizarre choice to reveal now because they are targeted at limited, but they're the kind of cards whose playability is heavily context dependent. Cards like Voltaic brawler, which I assume is part of a cycle, would make much more sense to reveal.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
If they all gave a bit of energy like the green and blue ones do, that'd be rad. Hell, it seems like the rest should.

Rip_Van_Winkle
Jul 21, 2011

"When life gives you ghosts, you make ghost-robots"

I think this is a philosophy we can all aspire to.

mandatory lesbian posted:

aetherflux reservoir is loving stupid and i love it

it's the best card and i love it

i can't wait to do stupid things with it in EDH, my favorite format for stupid things, especially with

Rip_Van_Winkle
Jul 21, 2011

also look at these guys

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Skyl3lazer posted:

This is 8 spells from 14+ life if you were wondering.

15+ since you would lose before the ability resolves if you try it from 14.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Angry Grimace posted:

They added this to the official Planeswalker profile pages on WOTC.

You can probably guess where this is going.

Everyone looks derpy and Ajani's just got his mouth open for no reason other than to be like "rawr I am a lionman"

"gently caress you say?"

Man I feel like going back to Theros standard and playing Polukranos because he was the best Hydra.

Count Bleck fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Sep 7, 2016

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Niton posted:

The closest comparison I can think of is Think Twice - you have to pay for the first half at sorcery speed, but it doesn't have any color requirements, and it's in a color which is less likely to get that sort of incremental spell (plus it's an artifact).

I think it synergizes well with Grim Flayer, and it's possible it makes its way into a G/B deck of some kind.

The reason Think Twice was good was because it fits into a deck that wants to play mostly on the opponent's turn - that mana would often otherwise go to waste, so being incremental + instant speed mitigated a lot of the cost factor. The top end was also cheaper than what the combined effect would normally cost - as it is, why not just play Succumb to Temptation?

Being an artifact for Delirium might help, but with the way the set is looking G/B decks may well find other artifacts that stand on their own merits to include. (e: like maybe Big Nekrataal)

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Noxious gearhulk Mechrataal seems rather good. Straight up removal and lifegain stapled to a reasonable body, with an evasion ability.

Sarmhan fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Sep 7, 2016

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Jabor posted:

Being an artifact for Delirium might help, but with the way the set is looking G/B decks may well find other artifacts that stand on their own merits to include. (e: like maybe Big Nekrataal)

Or maybe Grim Flayer could learn to drive.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
The most important question: http://www.strawpoll.me/11174096

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Everyone will vote Oloro because nobody understands how awful it is to play against a Zedruu

Rip_Van_Winkle
Jul 21, 2011

Count Bleck posted:

Everyone will vote Oloro because nobody understands how awful great it is to play against a receive wonderful gifts from Zedruu

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

what weird, bizarre templating.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

Looks like a card you may use but never aim for early unless energy owns bones.

E: the u artifact

Alaan fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Sep 7, 2016

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Please let this garbage commander card be "playable" in normal constructed.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Nissa selling for less than half of Chandra and less than Shahili is hilariously stupid.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Elyv posted:

what weird, bizarre templating.

It's so that if they save it with protection or by making it indestructible you don't gain the life.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

I am so disappointed in you all that Sydri is in last place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Me and the boys on the way to kill another demon god

Irony Be My Shield posted:

The other puzzleknots are equally terrible to be fair.

They are all clearly limited fodder. Not bad there, but at least the others may possibly have a shot in standard.

mcmagic posted:

Nissa selling for less than half of Chandra and less than Shahili is hilariously stupid.

I look forward to ALL of them tanking at least 50% before the PT and one of them rocketing to double their preorder price afterwards.

• Locked thread