Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

And this is why I despise Trump and friends most of all. This will take years to squash.

Night10194 posted:

I think the alt-right going for more visibility is legitimately a terrible idea on their part.

They got incredibly lucky the press didn't go into much about Hillary's speech in Reno and they mostly avoided notice. Throwing themselves into the spotlight is going to get them burned like the cockroaches they are.

We can only hope. What worries me is that they do manage to gain legitimacy like the Tea Party did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

I think the issue is that the alt-right is almost entirely social issues and being on the wrong side of those. With the Tea Party they were useful tools because they were SO ANGRY about taxes and all that even though it was really just racist. With the alt-right they are forward with their white, male supremacy since there's nothing else there. There's really no way to sugar coat that poo poo. Personally it feels like they have gotten over confident since they basically just gang up on people using the internet until they get scared and back off. Trying that in the open isn't going to work as well since once they are no longer as anonymous threatening to rape or lynch people isn't going to be as easy to hide.

I do think that there will be an effort by certain media outlets to pretend that of course they aren't racist because there always needs to be a Sensible right wing which is what helped out the Tea Party lunatics but that's going to be a harder sell.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

WampaLord posted:

Would "not loving around in the Middle East" be considered "giving up our military dominance?"

I think the core issue is how do we define 'not loving around' because, ya know, that's a great pithy blurb but it doesn't actually mean anything. Do we consider it 'loving around' when, say, Libyan rebels fighting against a dictator vowing to go block by block murdering them explicitly ask us for help? What about supporting NGOs and such trying to reform a country's regressive bullshit? There's a lot of 'loving around' that happens that's a lot more nuanced than 'invade Iraq y/n' and a lot of it requires 'military' assets in some way.

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

smoke sumthin bitch posted:

Just the fact that she is being openly bankrolled by goldman sachs and the rest of wal street is pretty drat revealing.

Even if bankers are the most vile and corrupt people on earth they still want a semblance of stability. Trump isn't good for business. Clintons seem like they are.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Tatum Girlparts posted:

I think the core issue is how do we define 'not loving around' because, ya know, that's a great pithy blurb but it doesn't actually mean anything. Do we consider it 'loving around' when, say, Libyan rebels fighting against a dictator vowing to go block by block murdering them explicitly ask us for help? What about supporting NGOs and such trying to reform a country's regressive bullshit? There's a lot of 'loving around' that happens that's a lot more nuanced than 'invade Iraq y/n' and a lot of it requires 'military' assets in some way.

I'll be honest, I know basically nothing when it comes to foreign policy, but it's clear that the threshold we use for "We need to intervene with our military" isn't applied uniformly to various situations. Why is helping Libyan rebels okay while we let genocides go on in other countries? Are we the world police or aren't we?

While we're asking for things to be defined, can someone define "giving up our military dominance?" Because as I see it, we could literally cut military funding by 50% and still be the most dominant military on the planet by far.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Just the fact that she is being openly bankrolled by goldman sachs and the rest of wal street is pretty drat revealing.

It's pretty revealing of how overwhelmingly terrible Trump is, maybe.

smoke sumthin bitch
Dec 14, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

On Terra Firma posted:

Even if bankers are the most vile and corrupt people on earth they still want a semblance of stability. Trump isn't good for business. Clintons seem like they are.

and thats exactly why trump is more progressive than hillary. he actually wants to dismantle this whole tax exempt cartel of high financiers raping everybody. hes pretty much humanitys last hope

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches

Mr Hootington posted:

Question: Having a discussion about BLM and Kaep with my fellow white coworkers. What is the best thing to say in response to black on black crime rates?

I am late to the party here, but white on Indian crime rates might do the trick. You need something to shake them out of a narrative they've absorbed so that they don't have to think about structural issues.

https://www.justice.gov/sites/default/files/otj/docs/american_indians_and_crime.pdf

Your audience will be wholly unprepared for those sexual assault statistics. Familiarize yourself with patterns of victimization on reservations, and you should be able to transition to broader concerns with minorities and law enforcement.

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich
Trump is all things to all people. He contains multitudes.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

and thats exactly why trump is more progressive than hillary. he actually wants to dismantle this whole tax exempt cartel of high financiers raping everybody. hes pretty much humanitys last hope

Trump has never given a single indication of this, unless you mean he'll dismantle the government because of incredible stupidity.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

I am phone posting so I can't just make a quick Photoshop putting eyeholes on those hoods in the logo.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

WampaLord posted:

I'll be honest, I know basically nothing when it comes to foreign policy, but it's clear that the threshold we use for "We need to intervene with our military" isn't applied uniformly to various situations. Why is helping Libyan rebels okay while we let genocides go on in other countries? Are we the world police or aren't we?

Which genocides are you specifically thinking of?

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Yinlock posted:

Trump has never given a single indication of this, unless you mean he'll dismantle the government because of incredible stupidity.

He might also take the banks down along with most of the economy....

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Trump wants what will get the most money in Trump's pocket.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Radish posted:

I think the issue is that the alt-right is almost entirely social issues and being on the wrong side of those. With the Tea Party they were useful tools because they were SO ANGRY about taxes and all that even though it was really just racist. With the alt-right they are forward with their white, male supremacy since there's nothing else there. There's really no way to sugar coat that poo poo. Personally it feels like they have gotten over confident since they basically just gang up on people using the internet until they get scared and back off. Trying that in the open isn't going to work as well since once they are no longer as anonymous threatening to rape or lynch people isn't going to be as easy to hide.

I do think that there will be an effort by certain media outlets to pretend that of course they aren't racist because there always needs to be a Sensible right wing which is what helped out the Tea Party lunatics but that's going to be a harder sell.

I guess you're right. They'll be utterly insufferable and get undeserved attention/legitimacy as long as Republicans think they can use them, but as Trump is showing, that doesn't fly as well these days since minorities actually have enough say to do something about it. Alt Righters don't have any philosophy beyond being basically neckbeard neo-Nazis so they'll have less staying power even if the worst case does come and they do get backing, but the damage will still be done if the media continues to bend over backwards to avoid looking biased enough to allow them to lower racial discourse in America even more.

Periodiko
Jan 30, 2005
Uh.

and thats exactly why trump is more progressive than hillary. he actually wants to dismantle this whole tax exempt cartel of high financiers raping everybody.

He literally wants to dismantle all the minor post-crash banking reforms and calls for a moratorium on future banking regulations. How are you this stupid, for real?

quote:

Republican presidential nominee Donald Trump on Monday plans to call for a temporary moratorium on new financial regulations, Bloomberg News reported.

Trump, who will give an economic speech in Detroit, will attempt to distinguish his policies from those of Democratic nominee Hillary Clinton, according to the news outlet. Senior campaign aides told Bloomberg that Trump will say he does not plan to propose any new financial regulations until there is "significant growth" shown in the economy and will discuss regulatory relief for small businesses.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Trump has literally never deviated from the argument that he'll do whatever makes the most money.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

computer parts posted:

Which genocides are you specifically thinking of?

Okay, after some light Googling, it appears I was exaggerating somewhat. Maybe I should just duck out of this, because I really don't want to get involved in a foreign policy debate.

I still argue that there's basically no way America could lose military dominance of the world short of literally disbanding the military.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

*by lowering their taxes a whole lot

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

Kit Walker posted:

At the same time I feel that military hegemony is just a stop-gap measure. Things like the globalization of trade may be a more effective deterrent in the long run, and we should be building up the world to the point where we don't need to rely on the military.

This was the reasoning for why WWI was impossible, so I'm a skeptic.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

eviltastic posted:

I am late to the party here, but white on Indian crime rates might do the trick. You need something to shake them out of a narrative they've absorbed so that they don't have to think about structural issues.

https://www.justice.gov/sites/default/files/otj/docs/american_indians_and_crime.pdf

Your audience will be wholly unprepared for those sexual assault statistics. Familiarize yourself with patterns of victimization on reservations, and you should be able to transition to broader concerns with minorities and law enforcement.

Be prepared to see them react with denial and anger about these being somehow illegitimate. They'll likely fire back with anecdotal evidence or super conservative "news" story they're certain will utterly disprove these or show that BLM is super racist. Don't let them, otherwise they will gladly cover their ears and pretend the whole thing never happened. Be sure to call them out on any claims of All Lives Matter as well.

All and all, don't expect to change any minds immediately, but do hope that the truth might start to put in some doubt if they aren't too far gone.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

sarmhan posted:

Trump and the GOP have far deeper financial ties to Goldman Sachs et al.
Trump literally owes hundreds of millions to them, and the GOP proper relies much more heavily on corporate donations.

Repeating that I hope Trump gets financially ratfucked after Nov.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Eifert Posting posted:

This was the reasoning for why WWI was impossible, so I'm a skeptic.

I mean if it turns out there's no way to make do without an utterly dominating military then we'll be set up for that, but it couldn't hurt to keep it a plan B.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

WampaLord posted:

It's entirely based on what we can get away with. We intervene in countries where it won't upset our allies if we intervene (mostly).

BlueBlazer
Apr 1, 2010

Geostomp posted:

Be prepared to see them react with denial and anger about these being somehow illegitimate. They'll likely fire back with anecdotal evidence or super conservative "news" story they're certain will utterly disprove these or show that BLM is super racist. Don't let them, otherwise they will gladly cover their ears and pretend the whole thing never happened. Be sure to call them out on any claims of All Lives Matter as well.

All and all, don't expect to change any minds immediately, but do hope that the truth might start to put in some doubt if they aren't too far gone.

when someone make the All Lives Matter argument I yell No lives Matter! and punch them in the dick.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Is it time to start arzying over the closing percentage gap yet?

cargo cult
Aug 28, 2008

by Reene

Night10194 posted:

So why is the right so goddamn bullish on Tsar Vladimir? Is it just that he's a right-wing authoritarian strongman who oversees the criminalization of homosexuality and brutal military adventures abroad?
Yes, and also he's not a ni-blaugh person. Also he's willing to give quite a bit of leeway to the Orthodox church

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

There are so many things wrong with this holy poo poo.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

BlueBlazer posted:

when someone make the All Lives Matter argument I yell No lives Matter! and punch them in the dick.

Thank you for posting on our forums. Judge Dredd.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Grouchio posted:

Yes. It is showing trump is picking up minority support in swing states.

Edible Hat
Jul 23, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

What makes you think this, other than that Trump's alt-right supporters hate the globalist, Ivy League-educated, cosmopolitan Jews who they think work on Wall Street?

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop

Grouchio posted:

Check this out:

https://twitter.com/ppppolls/status/773528852698193920

Takeaways from this:

- FL is up for grabs

- Both the left and right are making GBS threads on PPP for this poll (Trumpers poll unskewing and Hillbots accusing them of cashing Trump checks)

- According to PPP, Clinton's gains in minority voters are offset by Trump's white voters

That last point is crucial, just how much in each state will the white vote offset the minority vote?

e: don't forget, we still have almost two whole months for those numbers across the state to tighten; also Clinton is going to get hosed over by Obamacare premium increases on the first of Nov.

BetterToRuleInHell fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Sep 7, 2016

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Grouchio posted:

Nope.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
There's a lot of undecideds in that poll and those undecideds favored Obama over Trump 54 - 10 so I think she'll do just fine.

Oh also she has campaign offices and a get it the vote effort there.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

theflyingorc posted:

It's entirely based on what we can get away with. We intervene in countries where it won't upset our allies if we intervene (mostly).

Also if it won't cause a headache for us with non-allies (Syria), also if there is a possibility of improving things and not just sticking our dick in a hornets nest(Syria/Rwanda), if congress is on the side of the president(Syria/Rwanda), or if there has been a recent gently caress up and the public doesn't want to intervene(Syria/Rwanda).

Libya is about the worst outcome you want to have after an intervention (and I want to stress that it was the EU that hosed up the aftermath and not really the US) while the Balkans is about the best you can hope for realistically.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Man Phyllis Schlafly dies on Labor Day and this is all you guys can talk about? This woman was the equivalent of Margaret Thatcher on my hate scale. She pretty much single-handedly led the charge to defeat the ERA when its passage was all but assured in the 70's and was just a horrible, horrible regressive person who couldn't see past the end of her own bigoted sexist nose.

Seriously, check out these quotes:

Someone who actually said this poo poo in the 21st century posted:

“Sex education classes are like in-home sales parties for abortions.” – Schalfly, Feb. 1997.

“People think that child-support enforcement benefits children, but it doesn’t.” – Schlafly, “Federal Incentives Make Children Fatherless,” May, 2005.

“When marriages are broken by false allegations of domestic violence, U.S. taxpayers fork up an estimated $20 billion a year to support the resulting single-parent, welfare-dependent families.” – Schlafly, Feb. 2011

“By getting married, the woman has consented to sex, and I don’t think you can call it rape.” – “Schlafly cranks up agitation at Bates” Sun Journal, 2007.

“It is long overdue for parents to realize they have the right and duty to protect our children against the intolerant evolutionists.” -Schlafly, “Time to End the Censorship,” Dec. 2004.
Seriously, did I miss the five minutes of Schlafly hate? I hope she's out there wailing and gnashing her teeth along with Scalia as everything she ever believed in or supported is systematically deconstructed by Hilary Clinton's administration.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

https://twitter.com/sahilkapur/status/773538109300547584

Trump's policies are ... something else. Jesus. (click on tweet to read them all)

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

RevKrule posted:

Not finding an article to relate it back to because twitter is having a party on the topic but George Zimmerman is claiming to be homeless, deep in debt ($2 million) and suffering from PTSD. I say he's saying this because it's Tuesday but we can hope can't we?

Couldn't have happened to a better guy.

size1one
Jun 24, 2008

I don't want a nation just for me, I want a nation for everyone

Night10194 posted:

I think the alt-right going for more visibility is legitimately a terrible idea on their part.

They got incredibly lucky the press didn't go into much about Hillary's speech in Reno and they mostly avoided notice. Throwing themselves into the spotlight is going to get them burned like the cockroaches they are.

This is what happens when you think you have really good reasons that justify your racism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cthulhumatic
May 21, 2007
Not dreaming...just turned off.

canepazzo posted:

https://twitter.com/sahilkapur/status/773538109300547584

Trump's policies are ... something else. Jesus. (click on tweet to read them all)

The US National Defense Program...brought to you by the Heritage Foundation (TM).

• Locked thread