Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

a dog from hell posted:

Wow, amazing what the gay community has done for the city.

when did AJ Styles move to Texas

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Schnorkles posted:

It basically means don't :derp: because the race has been incredibly stable.
take a shot anytime someone ITT starts freaking out because a poo poo poll says trump is winning

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
PS don't actually do that sometimes it happens a lot, and also drinking while reading an internet forum sounds really depressing

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

IronicDongz posted:

take a shot anytime someone ITT starts freaking out because a poo poo poll says trump is winning

by my calculations you died three weeks ago from liver failure

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

IronicDongz posted:

Let me tell you about the LA Times tracker my friend

Stunning Honky
Sep 7, 2004

" . . . "

IronicDongz posted:

PS don't actually do that sometimes it happens a lot, and also drinking while reading an internet forum sounds really depressing

Hey man you do you and I'll do me

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

*polldances lustily*

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
Indiana has nothing.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Al!+ posted:

daycrew: yellow-belly poll panicking retard cowards

nightcrew:

Homeless Friend fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Sep 7, 2016

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

"To be quite frank, Platinum sucks at making games. Vanquish was terrible and Metal Gear Rising: Revengance was so boring it put me to sleep."

Trump demands military power be cranked up, quoting Heritage Foundation suggestions.

New missile system needed. US under threat from missiles from hostile countries such as "Iran, N. Korea, terrorists" Ahem....didn't you forget :ussr: ? NK and Iran don't have any missile systems that reach US territory.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

IronicDongz posted:

i got news, pal, it's actually great

slumdoge millionare
Feb 17, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer

Louisgod posted:

can we please start a list of legitimately terrible states? This is what I have so far:

1. Wisconsin
2. Florida

How the gently caress do you rate Wisconsin worse than Kansas?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Josef K. Sourdust posted:

Trump demands military power be cranked up, quoting Heritage Foundation suggestions.

New missile system needed. US under threat from missiles from hostile countries such as "Iran, N. Korea, terrorists" Ahem....didn't you forget :ussr: ? NK and Iran don't have any missile systems that reach US territory.

So, he wants to crank it to 11?

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

https://twitter.com/michaelkruse/status/773496745200324608

Reminding people ITT that Trump has more campaign offices in Israel than he does in FL.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

drat it Trump stop speaking here when I have work I want to yell Ed Balls at you

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

It's a little bit juvenile, but it's simple and it's timeless.

We let it be known that Schnorkles, for a snack, eats tiny pieces of shit.

You're picturing it and you're talking about it. That's a win in my book.
My great secret is that I hope the polls are reasonably accurate and it turns out a massive ground game advantage doesn't mean much in presidential years so political operatives stare wistfully off into the distance and rip up a giant folder entitled "Giant secret turnout plans do not open"

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Doomtalker posted:

How the gently caress do you rate Wisconsin worse than Kansas?

kansas seems like it got hoodwinked by a bunch of big city money men who dazzled their simple prairie minds with fancy words and promises of stronger corn and stronger children. i feel bad for kansas.

oklahoma tho

cams
Mar 28, 2003

tbh there is very little worth paying attention to election-wise until the big democrat names start campaigning for hillary. october is gonna have barack and biden and everybody else telling people to vote for hillary. outside of the debates, everything else is just the motion of the tides.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Schnorkles posted:

My great secret is that I hope the polls are reasonably accurate and it turns out a massive ground game advantage doesn't mean much in presidential years so political operatives stare wistfully off into the distance and rip up a giant folder entitled "Giant secret turnout plans do not open"

sadly we already know it works for some advantage because of the Obama machine vs orca's fartdown

the question is what the benefit curve is shaped like, because if it's relatively flat then there's not a lot of justification for the level of spending that goes into ground game right now

thiccabod
Nov 26, 2007

Looks like Clinton is up first during the commander in chief form tonight, follows by Trump. I was hoping it'd be the other way around, but oh will. It's not like he'll develop coherent replies with the extra time to prepare snort some adderall.

DrPlump
Oct 5, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

cams posted:

tbh there is very little worth paying attention to election-wise until the big democrat names start campaigning for hillary. october is gonna have barack and biden and everybody else telling people to vote for hillary. outside of the debates, everything else is just the motion of the tides.

Trump Hillary hasn't even started yet!

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

cams posted:

im hoping that the architects of trumps disciplined new new new campaign have to leave under scandal, so we get shouty uncle wallreich back in the gaffes game

Perfectly Safe
May 30, 2003

no danger here.
Just wanted to let everyone know that our background gif runs in time to Bjork's Big Time Sensuality.

e: also, Rid of Me by PJ Harvey (almost exactly, anyway). I'll keep you all posted.

P.S. Lick my legs.

Perfectly Safe fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Sep 7, 2016

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

A background article on Rebecca Mercer, who is using her dad's hedge fund money to create a Koch like effect (there's a pretty funny article in the Times this morning about them trying to do school like inculculation of new conservative activists worth reading BTW) on politics

quote:

It is Rebekah Mercer who directs a family foundation that, according to tax returns, has more than doubled its giving between 2011 and 2014, donating $34.6 million to 30 conservative nonprofits over which she holds varying degrees of sway — from the Government Accountability Institute, which produced "Clinton Cash," a book that damaged Trump’s Democratic rival Hillary Clinton, to the venerable Heritage Foundation, where she sits on the board.

It is the same Rebekah Mercer who urges campaigns and clients who want her father’s funding to hire a data firm owned largely by the family called Cambridge Analytica, which now counts Trump’s campaign among its clients.

And it is Rebekah Mercer whose meeting with Ivanka Trump and her husband, Jared Kushner, reportedly set the stage for the Mercers to switch their support to Donald Trump after the family’s first choice, Ted Cruz, dropped out of the race, rather than retreating to the sidelines as so many other big donors did.

Rebekah Mercer now sits at the nexus of Trump’s universe. So influential has she become that her conversation with Trump during an August fundraiser in the Hamptons has been widely credited with spurring the rookie candidate to shake up his campaign team by turning its leadership over to two of her closest confidants.

Pollster Kellyanne Conway, who has worked with Mercer on a pro-Cruz super PAC, became campaign manager, while the new job of campaign CEO went to Steve Bannon, a campaign novice who helped run both the Government Accountability Institute — which has received at least $2 million from the Mercer foundation — and Breitbart News, the intensely pro-Trump nationalist website in which the Mercers have invested. This month, Trump rounded out his newly reconfigured campaign leadership by bringing in yet another operative with whom Mercer has worked — David Bossie, who previously ran both an anti-Clinton super PAC that received $2 million from Bob Mercer in July and an anti-Clinton nonprofit called Citizens United that received $3.6 million from the Mercers’ foundation from 2012 through 2014.

quote:

The 2010 election cycle was the first after the Supreme Court’s Citizens United decision created a Wild West campaign-finance landscape. And Bob Mercer jumped right in, pouring $640,000 into a super PAC — one of the first — that funded attacks against Oregon Democratic Rep. Peter DeFazio, who had sponsored legislation that would have raised taxes on hedge funds. DeFazio nonetheless handily defeated his Republican challenger, Arthur Robinson, whose Oregon Institute of Science and Medicine, which stockpiles human urine for medical research and attacks the scientific consensus on climate change, has been the recipient of Mercer funding. (Robinson’s unsuccessful 2012 and 2014 challenges to DeFazio were also boosted by Mercer-funded attacks on DeFazio.)

quote:

Bekah Mercer had grown increasingly frustrated with the Kochs’ approach. It is not as politically aggressive as she preferred and also much more supportive of trade and immigration, said operatives and donors familiar with the Mercers’ involvement with the Kochs. They said Bekah Mercer also questioned the effectiveness of the spending orchestrated by the Kochs’ operatives and bristled at what she perceived as their unwillingness to heed her advice.

Bekah and Bob Mercer stopped attending the Koch donor summits and dialed back their giving to the network, according to the operatives familiar with the family’s involvement in the network.

“Some people believe only they can achieve whatever goal it is, and I think she is in that camp,” said one Koch network donor who worked with Bekah Mercer. “And she wasn't totally aligned with us. She's much more populist.”

According to a Republican who advises her, Bekah Mercer has grown wary working with other political activists and operatives, in general. “She’s a very serious person. Very smart. Very dedicated to what she’s doing, and I think she feels that a lot of these people are taking advantage of her,” said the adviser. “She wants to have an impact, and she hasn’t found people she can trust.”

Indeed, while Bob Mercer finished 2014 as the sixth biggest donor of the cycle, with $8.4 million in disclosed donations, perhaps more significantly, by the end of the cycle, the Mercers were perceived within conservative politics as their own center of gravity, unmoored from — and in competition with — other major donors-backed networks and even the RNC, which Breitbart railed against.

Read more: http://www.politico.com/story/2016/09/donald-trump-rebekah-mercer-227799#ixzz4JaXg9PWc
Follow us: @politico on Twitter | Politico on Facebook

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Squizzle posted:

sadly we already know it works for some advantage because of the Obama machine vs orca's fartdown

the question is what the benefit curve is shaped like, because if it's relatively flat then there's not a lot of justification for the level of spending that goes into ground game right now

let me follow up by saying that if it turns out to be worth about 2-4 points nationally no matter how big the ground op disparity, that's a little interesting because the dnc has a proven operation that they're going to be passing from one Prez campaign to the next every four years, and the gop has sweet gently caress all. it's another small advantage to throw onto the pile for democrats in presidential cycles, at least until/if the rnc can catch up

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

SuperDucky posted:

Okay I have to ask since I've been away from this thread since Friday and gently caress catching up. But, uh, are y'all, like, trying to break the forums with a humongous gif background on what is likely going on the largest thread ever?

a) this is the background for the entire subforum, not just this thread
b) ZDR himself set this background
c) megathreads don't crash the forums any more thanks to the dev team (ZDR isn't actually the one who fixed it, I think maybe that was :choco:?)

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

Eifert Posting posted:

Indiana has nothing.

there's nice limestone in the south

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

I hope ground game is worth a lot so it can be a slaughter and maybe even the house goes into play

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

im sure hes at least partially aware of where all the properties he owns are

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
https://twitter.com/Babylonian/status/773560449417682944

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

Squizzle posted:

kansas seems like it got hoodwinked by a bunch of big city money men who dazzled their simple prairie minds with fancy words and promises of stronger corn and stronger children. i feel bad for kansas.

oklahoma tho

this but the entire Republican party

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

gently caress You And Diebold posted:

im sure hes at least partially aware of where all the properties he owns are

lol uh huh im sure

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Read the second half of the politico article to see how much Mercer's involvement is due to her wanting to get poo poo data group Cambridge Analytics paid and ensconed in the campaign. And here, again, is something from their wikipedia

quote:

SCL Group calls itself a "global election management agency"[4] known for involvement "in military disinformation campaigns to social media branding and voter targeting".[3] SLC’s involvement in the political world has been primarily in the developing world where it has been used by the military and politicians to study and manipulate public opinion and political will. SCL claims to have been successful to help foment coups.[3]

A bunch of bullshit if you ask me.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7DRL6ocEK-M

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

logikv9 posted:

i was also told that in florida it's legal to text and drive

how suicidal are you fuckers down there

They also have left on red

Lastgirl