Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

KoRMaK posted:

developer heaven

:mmmhmm:

Content:
A package came in that didn't have a name on it. It was handed off to me because I get strange packages since I test new technology. Said package contained loose 128MB SanDisk Micro SD cards. Not just a few, it was loaded with them. I asked around and came to find the purchaser: A new clerk in the purchasing department (which is similar to the help desk....somehow) took a request from some random user to upgrade their hard drive to a 256GB SSD and decided to be proactive!

Apparently, the super deal he got clearing out someone's trash heap of SD cards for a third of the price would get him street cred amongst the other purchasers. :downs:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

milk milk lemonade
Jul 29, 2016

Thanks Ants posted:

:cheers:

Same. An email from March telling a higher-up that a critical system was at-risk and outlining what I needed to be able to start picking it apart to document, with a view to being able to ensure it was easily deployable and then actually doing the deployment onto non-failing hardware. I was denied that opportunity because it wasn't directly revenue generating activity (yeah seriously that is :rolleyes: to the extreme - the same logic would determine that repairing the roof of a warehouse filled with stock isn't revenue generating so is an unnecessary expense), and in the last few days it fell over. Welp. Got that CYA email.

But did you forward it to the president of another business unit virtually unprompted in a lame attempt to save face?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

KoRMaK posted:

I'm always surprised by the lack of automation I hear you guys talk about. Powershell is great. You should also learn ruby and/or python. You can get soo much done with those. Like for instance, call a bunch of people at once https://github.com/twilio/twilio-ruby If whatever you are doing manually has a pattern, even if the pattern only plays once, then you can automate it. Processing phone numbers should be dirt easy (after you learn the ropes). And regex's are a definate must. I use this site to prototype regexes, its super useful https://regex101.com/.

Then, after you get some experience doing that, you may get pulled out of helpdesk hell to developer heaven some day.

It's the lifeblood of organizations. We just added xlsx and csv to our already existing xls import at work. We also turn the import process into a RESTful API endpoint, so tons of people are happy now.

e: this site is also useful for learning http://rubyfiddle.com/
ee: for example, heres a regex that finds characters that AREN'T digits https://regex101.com/r/gQ3bY1/1

Powershell is loving magical. I just automated one of the biggest mundane parts of our job into a search input that returns the relevant data in two seconds instead of digging through two colossal Excel spreadsheets.

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice
This is the piddliest of bitches, but I'm starting to get burned out at my job. We rolled out Salesforce for our call tracking and external facing customer site two weeks ago Monday, and it wasn't a complete disaster, but there's the stupidest poo poo that didn't come over or doesn't work. There's so much little retarded poo poo that it feels like no one ever actually sat down with a tech to see what info they needed to take calls, so things like customer hours of business or product codes are missing. No one bothered to consider any of the huge amount of documentation that was on our old site, both customer facing and internal, so it's completely inaccessible to customers and only accessible to us if we remember our old usernames and passwords (which no one does because we always used the SSO link on our main intranet page). Communication with our customers was poor, and we still have people calling in that their accounts aren't working, because no one told them we changed all usernames to the users' e-mail addresses.

We take calls as well as calling people back on tickets that they put in. Our hold times have been non-stop in the 10-15 minute range for the past two weeks - today they were in the 30-45 minute range. Our company goal is 4 minutes average. Our backline queue, which used to cause panic and mass e-mails if it got above 15 calls, has over 115 in it. Management has promised endless overtime to anyone willing to work on the queue, but if you do another manager just tells you to get on the phone because of the hold times.

I feel like I'm the only one who knows what they're doing. I've been fixing problems that some of the supervisors don't even know how to fix, and there's several techs who know that and come to me first when they have an issue. So I have that, on top of having a trainee - who I haven't actually been able to do much training with, because I'm also still expected to keep up my full caseload. And I'm still technically tier 1 support - I've been here a year, but they don't promote before 18 months, and only do promotions in July, and since I started in August I'm pretty much hosed for the next year or so.

I almost had a panic attack tonight because someone e-mailed me after I left that their upgrade bombed (after I went to the trouble of saving copies of the now inaccessible documentation and e-mailing it to them along with specific instructions not to try to run the installer from their terminal sever - guess what they did?) I would go in there early tomorrow to call them, but I'm working late shift (oh yeah, we also have 3 late shifts a month) and I don't know if there's anyone else there I would trust to take it. The supes will just tell them to restore from a backup and run the install again the right way, and of course that will work, but it's so stupid when it could be fixed by someone who actually knows how the software works - which we have, like 2 of.

I really need a vacation I think, but I don't know if I can since I'm training someone. I don't know if they'd let me given how badly our call volume has blown up. I feel unappreciated and stressed out, and I don't know if I'm being a big baby or a prima donna, or if going to my direct supervisor or department manager would do any good - the manager is being promoted and a new manager I've never worked with is taking over, so who knows. I don't know if I should just stick with it, since I really loved the job before all this poo poo went down, or if I should start applying elsewhere the way everyone keeps telling me to do. This was my first tech job and I feel nervous about going anywhere else and starting over again.

well that's my crybaby sob story thanks for reading

PBS
Sep 21, 2015

A Pinball Wizard posted:

This is the piddliest of bitches, but I'm starting to get burned out at my job. We rolled out Salesforce for our call tracking and external facing customer site two weeks ago Monday, and it wasn't a complete disaster, but there's the stupidest poo poo that didn't come over or doesn't work. There's so much little retarded poo poo that it feels like no one ever actually sat down with a tech to see what info they needed to take calls, so things like customer hours of business or product codes are missing. No one bothered to consider any of the huge amount of documentation that was on our old site, both customer facing and internal, so it's completely inaccessible to customers and only accessible to us if we remember our old usernames and passwords (which no one does because we always used the SSO link on our main intranet page). Communication with our customers was poor, and we still have people calling in that their accounts aren't working, because no one told them we changed all usernames to the users' e-mail addresses.

Sounds like hell.

At the least you can start sending out resumes and doing interviews. Your not jobless so you have as much time as you want to find something that seems good to you.

Worst case scenario you get some interviewing experience out of it.

Edit:

You need to be able to get away from work to do them obviously.

PBS fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Sep 7, 2016

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday

A Pinball Wizard posted:

I've been here a year, but they don't promote before 18 months, and only do promotions in July, and since I started in August I'm pretty much hosed for the next year or so.

You'll see exactly how bullshit this is the second you put in your resignation, which you should do as soon as you find a job that isn't filled to the brim with bullshits.

they're all filled with bullshits

Myrmidongs
Oct 26, 2010

Kinetica posted:

Yeah I'm not sure where in the US you live but I don't know of any IT unions.

I'm in Washington and I'm in the classified workers union.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Wizard of the Deep posted:

You'll see exactly how bullshit this is the second you put in your resignation, which you should do as soon as you find a job that isn't filled to the brim with bullshits.

they're all filled with bullshits

Yep. If they wanted to give you a raise enough, they would find a way to do it. Those policies sound like a bunch of red tape bullshit to get tier 1 people to stick around for 2 years at low pay, find out they aren't getting a raise, leave, rinse and repeat.

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

larchesdanrew posted:

E/N incoming but gently caress it.

Nah, I'm just done with this. It was one thing when the station would poo poo all over my ideas, at least there I was able to think outside the box to craft a solution to whatever problem arose. Here, I'm given a board with square holes and then told we can't afford any pegs, so I work myself to death coming up with square peg alternatives that are cheap or free and I get publicly humiliated for not getting round pegs.

I was just publicly shamed by my boss (as in, in front of an auditorium with every employee) because I have not yet had the security card system installed and operational, when the last thing we ever discussed about it was that we didn't have the money to pursue the project and not to worry about it. I'm just tired of all of it. They don't pay me a quarter of what I deserve to be making for doing this job. If you consider the cost of the therapy and medication I've begun taking to deal with the stress and anxiety this job has put on me, I'm I'm only making about $1000 a year more than I did at the television station. And even if I was making $200k a year, the fact that I'm having to seek mental and emotional therapy is just loving stupid. No job is worth this.

On top of everything else I'm dealing with, the inventory manager got in a wreck over the weekend where her friend died, so now I have to do her job for the rest of the semester. I'm not heartless and it loving sucks for her, but shes coming back Friday. I asked what she would be doing the rest of the semester and the response was "healing and praying."

I put forth an approval request to set up a sign-up portal for the emergency contact robo-caller so the parents could just go opt-in on the website and put their own info in and have the information purged automatically at the end of the year, completely automating the process and freeing up a ton of time for me to deal with other stuff. Director says no, that's one more things parents will have to deal with and they already deal with enough. You dumb motherfucker if you had to sit here and input 700 contacts every loving year you'd be all about this poo poo.

I just ordered a bunch of Chromebooks for low-income students from a vendor who has been a huge help to me and managed to quote 4GB models for cheaper than every other vendor was quoting 2GB models. Turns out they aren't on state contract so I have to send them back and pay out the rear end in a top hat to our usual vendor I've been trying my hardest to get away from because they suck.

It's just... none of this poo poo is worth it. I'd rather work two retail jobs than deal with this for another minute.

Like I said before, this stuff keeps happening, maybe you should take a look in the mirror and figure out where the problem really is. You can't quit and run away from every tough, uncomfortable, unpleasant situation you find yourself in. Stop being such a sad sack, stand up for yourself, climb out of the well.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Two lovely jobs in a row is hardly proof that he's the problem. If it was three, four, or five, sure, but two could still easily be random chance.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

The inventory manager thing is bullshit, and you need to call them on it by refusing to do it. There is definitely someone else in the office who can do it. Your hands are full. You don't even have an employee anymore. Just because you could theoretically fix a situation doesn't mean that it's your obligation or responsibility to. You don't have to feel bad for refusing things that are unreasonable, and you don't have to fix everything.

Who knows, they may be reasonable about it if you tell them straight up you can't do it no matter how much you would like to due to the aforementioned reasons of a) already having a full time job and b) your dept. currently being understaffed.

Also be straight with your supervisor when they're asking the impossible. Get quotes from vendors you can buy from. Tell your supervisor how much money whatever it is he wants to do costs, and ask him where he wants to make compromises. If he doesn't believe you then forward all your correspondence with the vendors and tell him to knock himself out trying to get lower prices.

Don't hold it against yourself when you're asked to do the impossible and fail at it. Kids will manage to learn without super fancy Chromebooks or whatever. They'll survive if the projector is down for a day. Not everything is a crisis.

Also don't sweat your dumb supervisor saying dumb poo poo. Most everyone who works there probably knows what a tool they are, and you're the dude that fixes their poo poo for them when they have problems. Your relationship with most of them will be fine.

Also, IANAL and IAMNOTADOCTOR and IAMNOTAPSYCHIATRIST, but you sound co-dependent as hell dude. You need to get yourself to an al-anon meeting or something to help you deal with what seems to be your crippling need to fix everything even when it may not be possible to.

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Two lovely jobs in a row is hardly proof that he's the problem. If it was three, four, or five, sure, but two could still easily be random chance.

I think it's less the 2 lovely jobs he's responding to and more the fact that larches seems to take a lot of stuff that happens at work very very personally to the point that it affects his mental health. The TV station was definitely a train wreck nightmare hellscape, but a lot of the stuff he's describing about the school is par for the course working in education or working anywhere.

I'm very serious about him being codependent. A lot of the burden that he complains about is stuff that he's putting on himself. Maybe not the initial situation, but the way in which the situation spirals such that it leads to a large sense of obligation that inevitably causes stress.

ErIog fucked around with this message at 09:17 on Sep 7, 2016

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Arsten posted:

Just spray yourself with Axe. Your interviewer won't know the difference. :v:

I... I... can't. My housekeeping sucks to high heaven, but my personal hygiene is pretty awesome.

18 Character Limit
Apr 6, 2007

Screw you, Abed;
I can fix this!
Nap Ghost

ErIog posted:

The inventory manager thing is bullshit, and you need to call them on it by refusing to do it. There is definitely someone else in the office who can do it. Your hands are full. You don't even have an employee anymore. Just because you could theoretically fix a situation doesn't mean that it's your obligation or responsibility to. You don't have to feel bad for refusing things that are unreasonable, and you don't have to fix everything.

Who knows, they may be reasonable about it if you tell them straight up you can't do it no matter how much you would like to due to the aforementioned reasons of a) already having a full time job and b) your dept. currently being understaffed.

Also be straight with your supervisor when they're asking the impossible. Get quotes from vendors you can buy from. Tell your supervisor how much money whatever it is he wants to do costs, and ask him where he wants to make compromises. If he doesn't believe you then forward all your correspondence with the vendors and tell him to knock himself out trying to get lower prices.

Don't hold it against yourself when you're asked to do the impossible and fail at it. Kids will manage to learn without super fancy Chromebooks or whatever. They'll survive if the projector is down for a day. Not everything is a crisis.

Also don't sweat your dumb supervisor saying dumb poo poo. Most everyone who works there probably knows what a tool they are, and you're the dude that fixes their poo poo for them when they have problems. Your relationship with most of them will be fine.

Also, IANAL and IAMNOTADOCTOR and IAMNOTAPSYCHIATRIST, but you sound co-dependent as hell dude. You need to get yourself to an al-anon meeting or something to help you deal with what seems to be your crippling need to fix everything even when it may not be possible to.

I think it's less the 2 lovely jobs he's responding to and more the fact that larches seems to take a lot of stuff that happens at work very very personally to the point that it affects his mental health. The TV station was definitely a train wreck nightmare hellscape, but a lot of the stuff he's describing about the school is par for the course working in education or working anywhere.

I'm very serious about him being codependent. A lot of the burden that he complains about is stuff that he's putting on himself. Maybe not the initial situation, but the way in which the situation spirals such that it leads to a large sense of obligation that inevitably causes stress.

Can we get your opinions' wrongness in an auditorium full of people for denouncement?

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive

Fudge posted:

But did you forward it to the president of another business unit virtually unprompted in a lame attempt to save face?

I forward all my CYA e-mails to the President of These United States. Obama always has my back. :patriot:

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

College Slice

ErIog posted:

TBF it sounds like he does actually have people there telling him "YOU'RE THE ONLY ONE WHO CAN FIX IT AND THE SCHOOL WILL BE IN RUIN WITHOUT YOU!". Angrily. While flipping him off.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

Nerdrock posted:

So : we get union representation along with a handful of building lead custodians. They don't give a gently caress about us, but it's... something.

My brain parsed this as a ternary operator the first time over. That was an interesting experience.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Larches fucks sake just walk out and move to another place that has better jobs.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Steakandchips posted:

Larches fucks sake just walk out and move to another place that has better jobs.

Like the spice mines of Kessel.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

A Pinball Wizard posted:

We take calls as well as calling people back on tickets that they put in. Our hold times have been non-stop in the 10-15 minute range for the past two weeks - today they were in the 30-45 minute range. Our company goal is 4 minutes average. Our backline queue, which used to cause panic and mass e-mails if it got above 15 calls, has over 115 in it. Management has promised endless overtime to anyone willing to work on the queue, but if you do another manager just tells you to get on the phone because of the hold times.

I feel like I'm the only one who knows what they're doing. I've been fixing problems that some of the supervisors don't even know how to fix, and there's several techs who know that and come to me first when they have an issue. So I have that, on top of having a trainee - who I haven't actually been able to do much training with, because I'm also still expected to keep up my full caseload. And I'm still technically tier 1 support - I've been here a year, but they don't promote before 18 months, and only do promotions in July, and since I started in August I'm pretty much hosed for the next year or so.

I almost had a panic attack tonight because someone e-mailed me after I left that their upgrade bombed (after I went to the trouble of saving copies of the now inaccessible documentation and e-mailing it to them along with specific instructions not to try to run the installer from their terminal sever - guess what they did?) I would go in there early tomorrow to call them, but I'm working late shift (oh yeah, we also have 3 late shifts a month) and I don't know if there's anyone else there I would trust to take it. The supes will just tell them to restore from a backup and run the install again the right way, and of course that will work, but it's so stupid when it could be fixed by someone who actually knows how the software works - which we have, like 2 of.

I really need a vacation I think, but I don't know if I can since I'm training someone. I don't know if they'd let me given how badly our call volume has blown up. I feel unappreciated and stressed out, and I don't know if I'm being a big baby or a prima donna, or if going to my direct supervisor or department manager would do any good - the manager is being promoted and a new manager I've never worked with is taking over, so who knows. I don't know if I should just stick with it, since I really loved the job before all this poo poo went down, or if I should start applying elsewhere the way everyone keeps telling me to do. This was my first tech job and I feel nervous about going anywhere else and starting over again.

Mine isn't quite that bad but we're switching from Office 2010 to 2013 and everyone (over 2000 people) is being a giant loving whiny baby about the whole thing and it's gotten on my nerves more than I thought. Plus right after that is done at the end of the week we're going to a new ticket system but they want us to put everything in both places for a week which is going to be a complete loving drag Im sure. So yeah bitch away sometimes this stuff is so loving stupid.

Also who the hell designed the layout for Outlook 2013 as it is legit bad and hard to read

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Steakandchips posted:

And lose custody of his child?

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Steakandchips posted:

The whole custody/visitation thing is a bit of an anchor, unfortunately.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

LethalGeek posted:

Mine isn't quite that bad but we're switching from Office 2010 to 2013 and everyone (over 2000 people) is being a giant loving whiny baby about the whole thing and it's gotten on my nerves more than I thought. Plus right after that is done at the end of the week we're going to a new ticket system but they want us to put everything in both places for a week which is going to be a complete loving drag Im sure. So yeah bitch away sometimes this stuff is so loving stupid.

Also who the hell designed the layout for Outlook 2013 as it is legit bad and hard to read

Why not skip 13 and go with 16? I guess you're already rolling out so too late to change now!

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

nielsm posted:

And lose custody of his child?

Has he explored the idea that he could work further away and see his kid on the weekends?

Or some sort of work from home thing every other week for a few days so he could see his kid during those weekdays?

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

pr0digal posted:

I forward all my CYA e-mails to the President of These United States. Obama always has my back. :patriot:
Careful, if Clinton gets elected you might as well forward those CYA messages to /dev/null :clint:

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Steakandchips posted:

Has he explored the idea that he could work further away and see his kid on the weekends?

Or some sort of work from home thing every other week for a few days so he could see his kid during those weekdays?

Do you have kids?

I couldn't imagine in 100 years moving away from my kids. It would absolutely destroy me, regardless of any wife / ex-wife situation.

Going to work is a job, they'll come and go, poo poo happens, people get over it. A kid is a core essential to a dad's life for the rest of their time on this planet.

I know this is an IT forum full of IT nerds but you guys have really fallen off of the deep end of work-life balance on this one.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Not to mention a lot of his problems are probably added to by his wife cheating on him and getting a divorce.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Steakandchips posted:

If you get divorced and have kids, you cannot legal change counties without the permission of both your ex and the state or you likely lose custody. It sounds like it was pretty messy when larches got divorced, so getting that permission is likely a no go.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

RFC2324 posted:

If you get divorced and have kids, you cannot legal change counties without the permission of both your ex and the state or you likely lose custody. It sounds like it was pretty messy when larches got divorced, so getting that permission is likely a no go.
Oh.

In that case, get a remote gig.

:angel: Programmer heaven is waiting :angel:

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

An email came in:

quote:

Colleagues-

In recent weeks (company) has launched a company profile page on Indeed. Company reviews carry a lot of weight with job seekers. In order to help the organization look more appealing to potential applicants it has been requested by (CEO) that each of you post an upbeat review about (Company). The reviews will be as an asset to the organization as we are looking to fill vital positions at (company). Please let me know if you have any questions. Your assistance in this matter is greatly appreciated and the link to post a review is provided below.

That was sent to a group of six staff that were "hand-selected" by the CEO, a fact which she reminded us of immediately after that email went out. So yeah, off I go to lie about my company :iamafag:

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

College Slice

LethalGeek posted:

I feel you. We switched a bunch of people over to 2013 last April, and the bitching still hasn't stopped. The font is too big. The font is too small. It's too bright. I can't find anything. My email is broken, and so are all my documents and the internet and none of its worked ever one the upgrade.

I swear to god, the next person who says "ever since the upgrade" gets a swift kick in the teeth through the phone line. :argh:

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

wa27 posted:

An email came in:

That was sent to a group of six staff that were "hand-selected" by the CEO, a fact which she reminded us of immediately after that email went out. So yeah, off I go to lie about my company :iamafag:

I would just ask for the review they wanted me to post.

PremiumSupport
Aug 17, 2015
Oh lovely.

Got back from lunch to see a notification from my file server. A raid 10 array has become degraded. I log in to MSM and one of the disks is completely missing. It doesn't show up at all, so I can't gracefully remove it from the array. Here's hoping that none of the other drives fail before the end of the day when I can offline the server, and that I can just swap in a good drive and rebuild without a fuss. Else it is going to be a very long day and there will be much drinking tonight tomorrow.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

uPen posted:

I would just ask for the review they wanted me to post.

Tactical line breaks where the first letter of each line spells "run like hell."

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

PremiumSupport posted:

Oh lovely.

Got back from lunch to see a notification from my file server. A raid 10 array has become degraded. I log in to MSM and one of the disks is completely missing. It doesn't show up at all, so I can't gracefully remove it from the array. Here's hoping that none of the other drives fail before the end of the day when I can offline the server, and that I can just swap in a good drive and rebuild without a fuss. Else it is going to be a very long day and there will be much drinking tonight tomorrow.

If the drives are hot-swap, which most are in a server, you can just yank it out without telling the controller you are going to do it. Please verify that the drives and controller are hot-swap before you do this.

PremiumSupport
Aug 17, 2015

pixaal posted:

If the drives are hot-swap, which most are in a server, you can just yank it out without telling the controller you are going to do it. Please verify that the drives and controller are hot-swap before you do this.

I believe the LSI 2008 controller integrated on this board is hot-swap capable, but I'm not going to risk it. Mainly because I don't know which physical drive it is when I'm standing in front of the server. There are no serial numbers on the drive trays and none of the leds are off. My plan is to power down the server and pull each of the drives one at a time until I identify the missing serial number, swap the drive with the new one sitting on my desk, power it back on and pray.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

pixaal posted:

Why not skip 13 and go with 16? I guess you're already rolling out so too late to change now!

We use a mind boggling number of addons with our office products. Mainly Worksite /Filesite iManage that absolutely has to be functional or these folks would probably fire the entire IT department. That one is at least working with 13 but a different one is absolutely crushing Outlook and we're of course waiting on the vender to fix it.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

PremiumSupport posted:

I believe the LSI 2008 controller integrated on this board is hot-swap capable, but I'm not going to risk it. Mainly because I don't know which physical drive it is when I'm standing in front of the server.

:stare: god speed goon

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

:toot:

ChickenOfTomorrow fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Jan 21, 2017

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

wa27 posted:

An email came in:

Just copy and paste that email as a review. It says it all in their own words. Of course post that anonymously and post one that can be tied to you personally that is "good".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

PremiumSupport posted:

I believe the LSI 2008 controller integrated on this board is hot-swap capable, but I'm not going to risk it. Mainly because I don't know which physical drive it is when I'm standing in front of the server. There are no serial numbers on the drive trays and none of the leds are off. My plan is to power down the server and pull each of the drives one at a time until I identify the missing serial number, swap the drive with the new one sitting on my desk, power it back on and pray.

I've had this problem. Stand in front of a server where someone wired the hot swap racks where drives 1 and 8 were next to each other in the middle of the drive stack. :v:

At least they tried to label them....too bad the labels littered the floor in the aisle.

• Locked thread