Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
If you want peace, prepare for Gundam Wing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Seriously, 2 recap episodes in a row?
At this point in the show only Peacecraft has poo poo together. Everybody, and I mean everybody, else is just waiting for something to happen or doing random things for no apparent reason.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat
Wing has fairly dire pacing issues.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

It's easy to remember the goofy parts of Wing and laugh at those but it's also easy to forget that Wing has a huge chunk of episodes that slowly move the characters around and take a lot of time to get to the point.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Weren't those two recap episodes supposed to originally be flashbacks that became the Episode Zero manga or something? I seem to recall reading something about that.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

wing also has some of the worst fights in the franchise. nearly all of them are terribly boring.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Monaghan posted:

wing also has some of the worst fights in the franchise. nearly all of them are terribly boring.

Tallgeese versus Heavyarms is pretty deece, if a bit wobbly on the choreography front.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

the only fight that felt good to me was zechs judo holding the wing gundam in ep 1

GulagDolls fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Sep 6, 2016

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Zechs having to do a fight in earth's orbit and saying "no thanks on the flying robot, I'll be participating in this fight entirely in free fall instead" was as stupid as it was badass

The fact that he actually won is some pretty nice icing on the cake

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

I liked epyon's fights.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Darth Walrus posted:

Tallgeese versus Heavyarms is pretty deece, if a bit wobbly on the choreography front.

Yeah it's why I said "nearly." Zech's vs heero fights are okay, but they are few and far between. Even the last fight between him and epyon is kinda boring.

I also really hated how the beam sabers had no "oomph" to them. they had gundams getting whacked with them and nothing happened.

Booourns
Jan 20, 2004
Please send a report when you see me complain about other posters and threads outside of QCS

~thanks!

Zechs curing cancer was alright and another delightful dub moment

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Raxivace posted:

Weren't those two recap episodes supposed to originally be flashbacks that became the Episode Zero manga or something? I seem to recall reading something about that.

Yep. I don't know why they did this but they did.

It was also about this time the main writer got fired I believe. He came back for Endless Waltz though so I have no idea what was going on there.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KqRD4QSjwXg

Who could possibly think gundam wing had bad fights?

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
Wing is the best if for no other reason is that it gave me hope that one day militaries will once again wear bitchin Napoleonic era uniforms.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Panzeh posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KqRD4QSjwXg

Who could possibly think gundam wing had bad fights?

Blocked in Canada on copyright grounds. Why because the dub is Canadian?

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

it's blocked in america too

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Seems to be an international affair. OZ flimsy copyright laws strike again.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
I didn't realize my video was blocked. gently caress.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vVfOwudAGJs

Oh well. Here's another one about the most effective strategy Leos have in this series.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Panzeh posted:

Oh well. Here's another one about the most effective strategy Leos have in this series.

I always wonder whether all those dudes going 'long live Treize Khushrenada' have even read their faction manifesto.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Panzeh posted:

Well, if I was piloting a deathtrap that was probably about to explode any second, WITNESS ME is probably how I'd rather go out than "suit destroyed because it brushed up against something".

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

galagazombie posted:

Wing is the best if for no other reason is that it gave me hope that one day militaries will once again wear bitchin Napoleonic era uniforms.

Same. Best dressed antagonists so far.

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.
I've always found it interesting that Wing has underwater specialty suites on top of automated drones mobile suits that can be controlled by crazy 15 year olds with computers. The second half turns into drone warfare vs dudes who believe in the glory of dying in battle.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Tulalip Tulips posted:

I've always found it interesting that Wing has underwater specialty suites on top of automated drones mobile suits that can be controlled by crazy 15 year olds with computers. The second half turns into drone warfare vs dudes who believe in the glory of dying in battle.

It's kinda unnerving how Wing was so strangely prophetic in regards to drone warfare, not only have we adopted it but we've used it to do all the things Trieze warned against what with the public not caring about us blowing up other countries because our forces aren't made of flesh and blood people whose dying gets people riled up. All we need is a team of five teenage pilots who have to stop Treize from making war great again.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Honestly as long as the other guys don't have em it's hard to justify sacrificing our own forces. It doesn't matter though since in event of Actual War where we aren't just playing wack a mole it'll just be a true and massive gently caress fest with everything thrown at the wall to see what sticks.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

galagazombie posted:

It's kinda unnerving how Wing was so strangely prophetic in regards to drone warfare, not only have we adopted it but we've used it to do all the things Trieze warned against what with the public not caring about us blowing up other countries because our forces aren't made of flesh and blood people whose dying gets people riled up. All we need is a team of five teenage pilots who have to stop Treize from making war great again.

Always listen to the Napolen mans. Always.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

galagazombie posted:

All we need is a team of five teenage pilots who have to stop Treize from making war great again.

What's the clock kid up to these days? Anybody heard from him since he moved to a very rich kingdom?

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

SeanBeansShako posted:

Always listen to the Napolen mans. Always.

I dunno.

That water park was, like, 7/10. Max.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
I finished Wing, including Endless Waltz.

The reveal that Operation Meteor was off the rails before the suits were even launch is the funniest thing. Actually Relena ripping the envelope was the funniest thing and made the whole series worth it.

I found Wing really enjoyable but man they could have removed 10 episodes or so. Also Wu Fei worst boy.

Now onto G Gundam.

(ps what the gently caress was with some of the eyebrows *cough* Dorothy *cough*)

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

PBS Newshour posted:

(ps what the gently caress was with some of the eyebrows *cough* Dorothy *cough*)

Because Dorothy was awesome. Seriously, she was a big reason I love the second half of Wing so much. Her and Relena have the best dynamic.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Only the best eyebrows for total warfare for the planet is my jam lady.

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The Dorothy/Relena dynamic is great because Relena gets an unapologetic and upfront confrontation about her beliefs. Honestly I really enjoyed all of the female characters in Wing which is normally not a thing that happens much in anime series.

Wu Fei also doesn't bug me as much but I went really into all the side materials and sequel stuff for Wing. Aside from Zeta, MSG, 00 and Turn A it's up there as one of my faves because it's a wacky rollercoaster of pacing and editing issues.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Dorothy had a good dynamic with everybody, she was a great character.

Im glad all the cool ladies of Wing made it out of alive since everything else I have seen in Gundam says all but one have to die.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

PBS Newshour posted:

Dorothy had a good dynamic with everybody, she was a great character.

Im glad all the cool ladies of Wing made it out of alive since everything else I have seen in Gundam says all but one have to die.

You're going to like Turn A, I think.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
The best lady it Turn A has her heart broken multiple times though

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

Yeah, Turn A is definitely up there for great female characters. It also just has a really great vibe over all. It was a really great change of pace after going through Zeta the first time. Although Turn A's ending definitely still makes me kind of mad.

Think I'm going to start Victory this weekend since I've never seen it.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Kuvo posted:

The best lady it Turn A has her heart broken multiple times though
I don't remember Lily getting her heart broken multiple times though?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Tulalip Tulips posted:

Yeah, Turn A is definitely up there for great female characters. It also just has a really great vibe over all. It was a really great change of pace after going through Zeta the first time. Although Turn A's ending definitely still makes me kind of mad.

Think I'm going to start Victory this weekend since I've never seen it.

Oh man, after all that talk about good female characters in Gundam? That'll be something.

Admittedly, Marbet was pretty rad, but it always felt like she was cool despite Tomino's efforts rather than because of them.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Raxivace posted:

I don't remember Lily getting her heart broken multiple times though?

She never got to see Guin in a dress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Turn A is what I'm watching after G Gundam. It's the series I've been most interested in after the UC stuff, but I heard it works better after some other Gundam stuff?? So I have been holding off on it. Also I figure it's better to not just watch all the stuff I think I will like off the back so I can be surprised by stuff like Wing.