Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Spring Heeled Jack posted:

A local builder in my hometown had this monstrosity created for himself, which he subsequently lost around the housing crash.

I think the current owners had it ripped out, but he originally had an above-ground pool with a deck built-up around it.

Please note the width, length, and depth of the house.

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.599...!8i6656!6m1!1e1

It’s so bad it’s good (from one particular angle).

In Street View, you can see where they buried Jimmy Hoffa.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

H110Hawk posted:

Hi construction thread! I went in my back yard today for the first time in 2 weeks and noticed this, no idea how long it's been that way:

Welp.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

I was going to say that is an easy fix after your first picture, but now maybe not. Hopefully the collapse didn't cause extra roof damage. Does that beam just support the roof overhang? You should get someone out pronto who can jack that up and replace the beam. It would also be a good time to see if any of those rafters need to be replaced. That seems like a small beam for that distance, but it is hard to tell from pictures.

Kirov
May 4, 2006

Hollow Talk posted:

I mean, cement is good for a cheap and easy DIY project until you factor in the cost of the cement truck and the cement factory. I mean, whoa, not so cheap now, am I right?! :smugdog:

He says in the video that he is using an X-carve CNC. It costs under $2000.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Atticus_1354 posted:

I was going to say that is an easy fix after your first picture, but now maybe not. Hopefully the collapse didn't cause extra roof damage. Does that beam just support the roof overhang? You should get someone out pronto who can jack that up and replace the beam. It would also be a good time to see if any of those rafters need to be replaced. That seems like a small beam for that distance, but it is hard to tell from pictures.

Oh yes. What you see is what you get on that structure. The general plan was to hit up home depot first thing tomorrow for something to hold it up until a real repair could be made.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

H110Hawk posted:

Oh yes. What you see is what you get on that structure. The general plan was to hit up home depot first thing tomorrow for something to hold it up until a real repair could be made.

You can use a bottle jack and a board to push it all back up where it should be. Then have a couple 4x4 cut the right length to hammer in as temporary posts. Just be very careful while jacking it all up as you are moving more weight than you may think and if the jack and post kick out sideways you can get hurt. You are going to want a couple friends because multiple hands and eyes are good for a project like this. But to be clear this is a temporary fix to keep the damage from spreading.

Basically what this guy does with the jack.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-bh8PZBCgoE

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

SynthOrange posted:

That goddamn entryway

Pardon me, but that is a porte-cochere.

*sniff* plebes.

To permanently fix this, you need to do what Atticus_1354 describes, but acquire another beam, or two 2x8 nailed together, and install it as a temporary a foot or so behind the broken beam, than jack it up, install at least two screw jacks (at big box, I believe less than $50 each...it's been awhile) checking & insuring plumb; screw the plates on the jacks into the temporary beam, and you'll be able to take the time to fab a new beam & install it. I would go overboard with two 2x12s if you can get the length...max 16-LF; otherwise, you'll need a post in there somewhere. Probably should have one anyway, offset from the path to the door.

The roof system should be OK, they are surprisingly flexible, particularly a rolled roof. If you have shingles on a roof that flat, it will leak.

If you want to go the super-cheap route, jack that beam back up & stick a permanent post under the apex of the break. I'm guessing there's a knot in the wood right at that spot.

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Sep 3, 2016

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Don't listen to these guys, they're moles for Big Plywood. A laundry basket on top of a bookshelf will prop your roof up faster, cheaper, and better.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I was gonna say "shower tension rod" but that works too.

EvilMayo
Dec 25, 2010

"You'll poke your anus out." - George Dubya Bush

peanut posted:

Don't listen to these guys, they're moles for Big Plywood. A laundry basket on top of a bookshelf will prop your roof up faster, cheaper, and better.

And makes a better staircase no cnc lobbyist needed.

30 Goddamned Dicks
Sep 8, 2010

I will leave you to flounder in your cesspool of primeval soup, you sad, lonely, little cowards.
Fun Shoe
That big rear end house is ridiculous, but the worst part to me is the kitchen. What the gently caress- all that space, no kitchen island, and no counter even close to the fridge to start staging stuff on. If people are actually eating at the counter there's no room to prepare food. And the appliances all look like they were bought offa craigslist.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Jealous Cow posted:

I was gonna say "shower tension rod" but that works too.

Done and done!

This is the "temporary" solution my dad came up with until he can come back. We're going to put another 16' 2x6 beam on the bottom, re-cut the posts, and add the cement anchors.

We join our protagonist standing under the collapsing structure adding weight to the least-secure end:

Intermediate scrap lumber to stabilize it while we go to home depot:

Safety third, visualizing our saw horse as well as in service wood trimming:

Picked up (4) 8' 4x4, (3) 16' 2x6, (2) 8' 2x6 (currently unused) at home depot, accidentally set down the anchors somewhere and forgot them until we got home. Oh and a shitload of various length torx head screws.

The "finished" product, 4 of the 4x4's, 2 of the 16' 2x6's:

H110Hawk fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Sep 5, 2016

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Nice, just get some glass panels and silicon sealant and you'll have and enclosed porch.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

H110Hawk posted:

Well, hey, look on the bright side... Judging by the shade of the grass, at least you don't have to worry about rain anytime soon! :v:

Glad you were able to salvage it--looks good!

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

OSU_Matthew posted:

Well, hey, look on the bright side... Judging by the shade of the grass, at least you don't have to worry about rain anytime soon! :v:

Glad you were able to salvage it--looks good!

I'm doing my part for the California drought! (And the sprinklers broke.)

Thanks! Someone had to supervise!

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

H110Hawk posted:

Done and done!

This is the "temporary" solution my dad came up with until he can come back. We're going to put another 16' 2x6 beam on the bottom, re-cut the posts, and add the cement anchors.

We join our protagonist standing under the collapsing structure adding weight to the least-secure end:

Intermediate scrap lumber to stabilize it while we go to home depot:

Safety third, visualizing our saw horse as well as in service wood trimming:

Picked up (4) 8' 4x4, (3) 16' 2x6, (2) 8' 2x6 (currently unused) at home depot, accidentally set down the anchors somewhere and forgot them until we got home. Oh and a shitload of various length torx head screws.

If it makes you feel better, that's probably better-supported than it was originally!

High Lord Elbow
Jun 21, 2013

"You can sit next to Elvira."
RIP load-bearing Christmas lights. Did you check the tensile strength of high-gauge copper wiring? It might have held.

Boogeyman
Sep 29, 2004

Boo, motherfucker.

Mercury Ballistic posted:

McMansion hell got me in the spirit and I saw this in Arlington today:

The fake stone falling off is probably my favorite.

I'm a little late to the party, but regarding that bulge in the siding that someone else mentioned...

I would bet that it's vinyl siding, and the sunlight being reflected off the porch "roof" or whatever the gently caress you'd call that thing is being focused in that area, causing the siding to heat up and warp. There was an episode of Ask This Old House where a lady had a huge window on the back side of her house that was reflecting sunlight into an adjacent wall and had actually melted the siding.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

High Lord Elbow posted:

RIP load-bearing Christmas lights. Did you check the tensile strength of high-gauge copper wiring? It might have held.

I'm fairly certain that after a loud creek in the morning the light strings were structural.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

Boogeyman posted:

I'm a little late to the party, but regarding that bulge in the siding that someone else mentioned...

I would bet that it's vinyl siding, and the sunlight being reflected off the porch "roof" or whatever the gently caress you'd call that thing is being focused in that area, causing the siding to heat up and warp. There was an episode of Ask This Old House where a lady had a huge window on the back side of her house that was reflecting sunlight into an adjacent wall and had actually melted the siding.

The house I grew up in had that happen after a remodel. It used to be a house and garage with an open breezeway, basically a cement slab with a roof over it, between them. We wound up closing that in as a dining room and adding a bedroom above it, but that section of the house was set a little farther back than the main house to match the garage.

As it turned out, if the vertical blinds on the dining room windows were closed, it reflected onto that little side wall. We didn't notice when the house had wood shingles, but once they switched to vinyl siding it started to melt it.

I'm not sure if they ever came up with a solution other than "leave the blinds open."

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
Your only hope is a thief in a wheelchair:

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:
What the gently caress am I looking at here and why...is one of those secured access or something? :confused:

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
I think it's to keep people from continuing to the basement on their way out of the building. I've seen something similar to this:

The full door/wall is something out of the sims.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
Is that even legal in what I assume to be a fire stairwell?

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

OSU_Matthew posted:

Is that even legal in what I assume to be a fire stairwell?

On the assumption that the door is free to open if you're approaching from the basement side (like emergency fire doors in most buildings), then yes it should be. The purpose is only to keep people from continuing past the ground-floor exit if they're coming from upper floors.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
Door in the middle of the stairs isn't locked on the photographers side, and the little sign says Not An Exit. On the other side on the wall is another sign that indicates down goes to the basement and says not an exit.

Once upon a time they probably had a fire drill and a bunch of people ended up in the basement perhaps?

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Fire naturally goes up instead of down and they tell you to get low to keep away from the smoke

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe

moist turtleneck posted:

Fire naturally goes up instead of down and they tell you to get low to keep away from the smoke

huh what a coincidence. Lil' Jon also tells people to get low because the roof the roof the roof is on fire

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
More worst McMansions chat? Because this week's about dormers.

I cant even fathom why you'd do that.

Though, on reflection, I am reminded of the Old Faithful Inn in Yellowstone, which was built with intentionally off-kilter dormers. Then again, Old Faithful Inn is terrifyingly weird.

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Sep 8, 2016

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
Was the idea that it would look like a regular log cabin that just started budding like a spider plant.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
I feel like I should be careful balancing my way across the rafters trying to retrieve my lost souls.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Why the gently caress would you add dormers on such a shallow sloped roof. That must look ridiculous from the inside too.

Edit: here's the listing on that house. I have a feeling the dormers are fake.

http://www.masonluxuryhomes.com/idx/photogallery/a047/34291423

Also just :lol: in general at all that.

Jealous Cow fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Sep 8, 2016

Ignoranus
Jun 3, 2006

HAPPY MORNING

Jealous Cow posted:

Why the gently caress would you add dormers on such a shallow sloped roof. That must look ridiculous from the inside too.

Is it just me or does this house seem almost a little claustrophobic with so much stuff jammed into it?

Neutrino
Mar 8, 2006

Fallen Rib
All the pictures of the house use photoshop to make it look weird. The realtor made all the vertical lines parallel which can gently caress up the perspective and in this case made the dormers look weirder than they are in real life. It looks like they probably are simply bedroom skylights camouflaged to look like dormers. Also used way too much HDR.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Realtors love using wide angle lenses to make houses look good so that you go in the house and realize the realtor is a liar immediately and to never look at anything repped by that person again

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Jesus I guess they dont have maximum lot coverage rules in Houston.
Also it's in a pretty lovely location. Your view is a huge parking lot for some strip mall bank all along a horrific looking 4 lane "stroad" with crumbling curbs and sidewalks. Looks like a ghetto neighbourhood but asking over a million for this?? What is this, Vancouver?

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Sep 8, 2016

Bozart
Oct 28, 2006

Give me the finger.

Jealous Cow posted:

Oh my god the more I look at the family room the crazier it gets. They have cutouts of planters? Why does the tv / fireplace have window shutters??

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

moist turtleneck posted:

Realtors love using wide angle lenses to make houses look good so that you go in the house and realize the realtor is a liar immediately and to never look at anything repped by that person again

They also make rooms look bigger and hide poo poo like uneven walls.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
The bad dormer Houston house looks like a pier 1 imports tornadoed its way through. Another cool part is looking at the way they have to pull into their garage. I don't think it's physically possible in their city mandated lifted f250

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe
I can't believe there's been 10 comments and nobody has mentioned the pommel horse in front of the bed...