Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
Whoa that's a dangerous lack of concern for our troops!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Justin Tyme posted:

Booze even, you can get wasted every weekend and STILL not break that budget.

Military Special, baby.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
I spent half my time in the army getting out of debt and the other half blowing all my money.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

TBeats posted:

I spent half my time in the army getting out of debt and the other half blowing all my money.

Crazy Mike
Sep 16, 2005

Now with 25% more kimchee.

Justin Tyme posted:

You know what the Army ought to do? Cut base pay in half and stick that money in a savings bond that the soldier gets when they get discharged for whatever reason be it honorable or otherwise, or free up that money if they go career. Soldiers are too dumb by and large to save money for themselves

Savings bonds have too low an interest rate. I propose automatic TSP enrollment to maxout $18,000/year lifecycle fund. Without money to afford anything other than NoXplode and tuna packs we can live the Army lifestyle and watch our net worth climb.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Crazy Mike posted:

Savings bonds have too low an interest rate. I propose automatic TSP enrollment to maxout $18,000/year lifecycle fund. Without money to afford anything other than NoXplode and tuna packs we can live the Army lifestyle and watch our net worth climb.

Honestly if the army put half as much effort into finance 101 as they put into SHARP, Accident Avoidance, and that dumb "how to use a computer" class we'd solve a lot of the problem.

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
yes i'm sure that a finance class would be completely different from how the army fucks up all those other classes, and all the Joe Schmoes would listen attentively and not immediately get off work to go buy a mustang at 30% interest at the nearest preys-on-dumb-soldiers car dealership.

i mean i get what you're saying, but let's be realistic, we're talking about the army here.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
personal finance management classes shouldn't be taught in the army.

they should be required in high school.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

spacetoaster posted:

Honestly if the army put half as much effort into finance 101 as they put into SHARP, Accident Avoidance, and that dumb "how to use a computer" class we'd solve a lot of the problem.

If they put in half the effort, they'd fail 4 times as hard. It's the inverse-square law of the army, the more they try to do anything the worse they become at it. If the army set out to fail at everything forever they'd gently caress that up so hard that they'd be the most successful organization ever.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Mike-o posted:

yes i'm sure that a finance class would be completely different from how the army fucks up all those other classes, and all the Joe Schmoes would listen attentively and not immediately get off work to go buy a mustang at 30% interest at the nearest preys-on-dumb-soldiers car dealership.

i mean i get what you're saying, but let's be realistic, we're talking about the army here.

Icon Of Sin posted:

If they put in half the effort, they'd fail 4 times as hard. It's the inverse-square law of the army, the more they try to do anything the worse they become at it. If the army set out to fail at everything forever they'd gently caress that up so hard that they'd be the most successful organization ever.

I get the jokes, but classes can work.

We initiated a "don't beat your wife" class and there has been a measurable decrease in spousal abuse. It does help. Just so long as it doesn't become a running joke like many other trainings.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

TBeats posted:

personal finance management classes shouldn't be taught in the army.

they should be required in high school.

They were at mine, and also in Jr High, too. We had to fill out a 1040 for the final

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

never had anything in personal finance growing up, and it showed.

lucky my wife is an accountant.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

My company commander in Afghanistan was the treasurer for a fortune 500 company. I asked him to teach my platoon a class on basic investing and personal finance - how to use the TSP, how 401Ks and Roth IRAs worked, what a mutual fund was, how credit worked, how interest from both investments and debt compounds over time, how to make a spending plan, etc. About 50% of them still wound up blowing their savings on lifted pickups after they got back.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Crazy Mike posted:

No. Even if it's a joke gently caress the TSP. You will literally do better by putting your money in a jar and just burying it.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

psydude posted:

My company commander in Afghanistan was the treasurer for a fortune 500 company. I asked him to teach my platoon a class on basic investing and personal finance - how to use the TSP, how 401Ks and Roth IRAs worked, what a mutual fund was, how credit worked, how interest from both investments and debt compounds over time, how to make a spending plan, etc. About 50% of them still wound up blowing their savings on lifted pickups after they got back.

Did it help you? If so, screw those other dudes.

Motto of the Quartermaster Corps: "gently caress you, I got mine!"

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u

spacetoaster posted:

I get the jokes, but classes can work.

We initiated a "don't beat your wife" class and there has been a measurable decrease in spousal abuse. It does help. Just so long as it doesn't become a running joke like many other trainings.

I'm having real trouble imagining the kind of person that just needed to be army told that beating his spouse was a bad thing. Like, I have no doubt it worked, but just what that particular piece of poo poo would be like as an average guy (I assume in prison).

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

spacetoaster posted:

Motto of the welfare queen: "gently caress you, I got mine!"

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

not caring here posted:

I'm having real trouble imagining the kind of person that just needed to be army told that beating his spouse was a bad thing. Like, I have no doubt it worked, but just what that particular piece of poo poo would be like as an average guy (I assume in prison).

When I was actually working law enforcement we started seeing a lot of wives being arrested for domestic assault. The reason being that a lot of guys were getting the message about not hitting their wives. Even if their wife hit them first (and there are a lot of wives that will knock the poo poo out of their Soldier husbands apparently) and since the husbands were not responding in kind the wives started going to jail.

Success! Ha HA!.............. I don't know what to do about messed up marriages though. :shrug:

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

My friend shot himself in an argument with his wife. I wish he would have just shot, or hit her. :ohdear:

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

spacetoaster posted:

I don't know what to do about messed up marriages though. :shrug:

Maybe not make single life in the military suck so mother loving bad in every last god drat aspect of life, at all times and in all places that there is stupidly absurd amounts of pressure to get the gently caress out of that situation with bullshit marriages to the closest gold digging stripper that knows the military pay scale better than the soldiers? I'm not a big fan of taking stuff away from marriage benefits because some do genuinely help real, actual families in the military. So address the other side of the issue where there is vast and overwhelming incentive in the immediate short term to escape unending streams of bullshit and suckitude by signing up for a paper marriage.

It'll never happen of course but it is a solution.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Soulex posted:

I wish he would have just shot, or hit her. :ohdear:

Cheer up. That happens a lot too.

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977

SumYungGui posted:

Maybe not make single life in the military suck so mother loving bad in every last god drat aspect of life, at all times and in all places that there is stupidly absurd amounts of pressure to get the gently caress out of that situation with bullshit marriages to the closest gold digging stripper that knows the military pay scale better than the soldiers? I'm not a big fan of taking stuff away from marriage benefits because some do genuinely help real, actual families in the military. So address the other side of the issue where there is vast and overwhelming incentive in the immediate short term to escape unending streams of bullshit and suckitude by signing up for a paper marriage.

It'll never happen of course but it is a solution.

Who wouldn't want to live in a tiny run down studio apartment with a shared bathroom and combination kitchen/dining room the size of a closet? That's not even factoring in the fact that you get random visits from your boss without warning so he/she can yell at you for using a trashcan. :)

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
How about a shared bedroom, too. Be accurate.

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977
I never had a shared bedroom and junior enlisted (with the exception of basic/ait/field), there was a company in my korea unit that had 2 people to a room barracks, there wasn't even any dividers or anything, just a small open room with 2 beds and a sink next to the door to the bathroom.

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

Being in debt makes you a stone cold warrior thus we should probably make all recruits max out 2 credit cards, once in basic and the other in AIT

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
A response to a young, naive LT after extensively talking about saving for the future only for the soldier to show up in a new Mistang with dumb body kits, "Sir, I'm a soldier in trying to have fun and get chicks not live forever."

Also financial planning is literally a graduation requirement at a bunch of AITs if not all of them and it's dumb and boring and the soldiers struggle to even stay awake through no fault of their own.

Crazy Mike
Sep 16, 2005

Now with 25% more kimchee.

Soulex posted:

No. Even if it's a joke gently caress the TSP. You will literally do better by putting your money in a jar and just burying it.

I'm challenging you on this. What's wrong with the TSP? What it lacks in fund choices it makes up for in lower cost compared to other pre tax retirement accounts. Plus the Army doesn't try to sell active management to you as a shady way to squeeze more fees out of your retirement like my work does. My 12 month performance is 7.3% which is acceptable although a bit less than my ROTH IRA at 11.5% or work retirement at 16-19%.

The only way I could see you loving up the TSP is having money invested before the great recession, watching it lose value, and panicking in March 2009 to transfer everything to the G fund.

When I started I put everything in the G fund because I didn't know what the gently caress. The basic training financial counseling brief should just straight up direct that unless you know what the hell you are doing you will put everything in the Lifecycle Fund and forget about it.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Ace of Baes posted:

I never had a shared bedroom and junior enlisted (with the exception of basic/ait/field), there was a company in my korea unit that had 2 people to a room barracks, there wasn't even any dividers or anything, just a small open room with 2 beds and a sink next to the door to the bathroom.

In Italy I had a room like that. poo poo sucked because the only privacy I ever had was whole taking a poo poo or showering.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Yeah, if you were combat arms and in Korea, you basically got that arrangement.

Also, black mold.

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
in germany we lived in old wehrmacht barracks, communal showers and bathrooms, open rooms. my roommate never stayed in our 2 man room, had that poo poo to myself :feelsgood:

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
My digs in korea were okay, single room + bathroom with bunk beds. My roommate was my 28-year-old pv2 squadmate that drank like a fish and was passed out 90% of the time.

Do they still have BOSS? Our BOSS rep was a married NCO that never did anything ever.

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977
Boss existed when I was in Korea and they let geobachelors take advantage of it, I went on a tour of some temples and it was alright, but for the most part it was useless.

Stanley Goodspeed
Dec 26, 2005
What, the feet thing?

Pesticide20 posted:

In Italy I had a room like that. poo poo sucked because the only privacy I ever had was whole taking a poo poo or showering.

Caserma Ederle's infantry barracks?

I was always envious of the HHC fuckers who got their own room, a common area, and kitchenette, but at least I wasn't one of the lucky ones crammed 3-4 into a room until they could find space.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Stanley Goodspeed posted:

Caserma Ederle's infantry barracks?

I was always envious of the HHC fuckers who got their own room, a common area, and kitchenette, but at least I wasn't one of the lucky ones crammed 3-4 into a room until they could find space.

Yep. I was in D Co 1-503 and my first barracks building was one of the single story buildings by the MPs. After my deployment I got to stay in one of the lovely two story buildings next to the BN HQ building. Both were poo poo. gently caress those assholes that got to live in building 173.

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
Checking in with my DD-214. 2 Pages. Sweet enough VA rating that I don't think I will ever worry. It's been real Army. Off to College!

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:
Good luck, hail Satan, gently caress the Army.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

FISTS CURE WOMEN posted:

Checking in with my DD-214. 2 Pages. Sweet enough VA rating that I don't think I will ever worry. It's been real Army. Off to College!

Welcome friend.

Enjoy your weed. Enjoy your beard. Enjoy putting on 20 pounds. Enjoy peepin' butts. Enjoy being lazy on a Tuesday. Enjoy life.

Get a dogge if you don't have one :)

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

FISTS CURE WOMEN posted:

:unsmith:

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

FISTS CURE WOMEN posted:

:golfclap:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!

FISTS CURE WOMEN posted:

:toot:

• Locked thread