Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Eat Bum Zen posted:

Oh is that why every other move has that happening? I googled WWE to get an idea of what Punk's moveset was and like how hard it looked and there is quite a bit of laying about groaning and holding yourself

We don't need to know what you do behind closed doors. That's your business.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eat Bum Zen
Jul 19, 2013

*mumbles*
Rated T for Teen

Regrettable posted:

We don't need to know what you do behind closed doors. That's your business.

Haha

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

IcePhoenix posted:

This isn't meant to be any sort of insight to the fight but pro wrestlers (especially guys like Punk) tend to have ridiculous cardio, yeah. If I had to pick one thing for Punk to worry least about it would probably be his ability to not gas out if a fight went the distance.

That's also a bit moot though because I don't think anyone expects it to go the distance.

Except Brock, who just turns more and more purple. But then his cardio isn't -bad- for a guy his size.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Eat Bum Zen posted:

Oh is that why every other move has that happening? I googled WWE to get an idea of what Punk's moveset was and like how hard it looked and there is quite a bit of laying about groaning and holding yourself
it's called selling. since you aren't actually getting hit, you have to make it look like you got hit, and it hurt real bad.

RagingHematoma
Apr 19, 2004

Goiters can be beautiful too!
Watched the last evolution of punk episode.

I don't think they were going for this but it reminded me of the training montages from Rocky 4. CM Punk is Ivan Drago training in the high tech Russian lab while Mickey Gall is Rocky Balboa exercising in a cold barn.

Gall actually comes across as an underdog fighting a guy who has the best trainers and equipment money can buy.

RagingHematoma fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Sep 7, 2016

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Liquid Communism posted:

Except Brock, who just turns more and more purple. But then his cardio isn't -bad- for a guy his size.

Yeah, I should have added a caveat that the Real Big Guys generally have poo poo for cardio, I was mainly talking about guys Punk's size.

Bluedeanie posted:

In MMA it is not really an accepted thing for both guys lay on the ground and pretend to be hurt for a few seconds as an excuse to catch their breath, although if your exposure to the sport is based on The Ultimate Fighter and Kimbo Slice I could see how you might believe that.

Outside of what's already been covered, pro wrestling doesn't really have a 1-2 minute break every five minutes either :v:

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Unless you're Roman Reigns who naps after every big move.

Eat Bum Zen
Jul 19, 2013

*mumbles*
Rated T for Teen

IcePhoenix posted:

Outside of what's already been covered, pro wrestling doesn't really have a 1-2 minute break every five minutes either :v:

Haha the nerve of this one

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Jeremy Kyle? What do my knuckles say?

ZERO TEEF

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
I want to see CM Punk Vs Jeremy Kyle. Or literally anyone Vs Jeremy Kyle.

I want Jeremy Kyle dead is what I'm saying.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
Mickey Gall sucks and I hope he gets million dollar babby'd

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

JoshVanValkenburg posted:

Mickey Gall sucks and I hope he gets million dollar babby'd

No need to call CM Punk names.

TheHock
Jul 3, 2008

I have altered my retirement plans. Pray I do not alter them any further.

Punk married AJ not Paige.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
Cardio is not really comparable because unless someone's going into business for themselves, a wrestler is never going to be resisting you doing things.

Nothing I've ever seen from Punk tells me he is athletic and/or has good cardio.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

1st AD posted:

Nothing I've ever seen from Punk tells me he is athletic and/or has good cardio.

He can really go for 2 seconds at a time if those montages in his documentary are a good indication

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

is it legal to use a folding chair as a weapon in MMA? Asking for my friend Duke.

Sprecherscrow
Dec 20, 2009

coconono posted:

is it legal to use a folding chair as a weapon in MMA? Asking for my friend Duke.

If it's a Reebok branded folding chair then yeah.

Kurohashi
Sep 8, 2005

*waddle waddle*
While the videos of his sparring and all that aren't optimistic in his chances here, I also don't think he's putting his best stuff and tricks out there to be seen. He nor his team are dumb enough to make it that easy for Gall; especially if Gall is the superior fighter in individual disciplines.

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT
Ah yes, he's hiding all of his secret moves for the fight. Smart.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.

Kurohashi posted:

While the videos of his sparring and all that aren't optimistic in his chances here, I also don't think he's putting his best stuff and tricks out there to be seen. He nor his team are dumb enough to make it that easy for Gall; especially if Gall is the superior fighter in individual disciplines.

sorta, but it isn't like Punk is secretly hiding 10 years worth of kickboxing experience (unless he literally is hiding 10 years worth of kickboxing experience). Most pro fighters don't mind showing footage of them hitting pads really well cause it helps show that they are in shape & ready to fight. Those aren't the same things as revealing whatever gameplan you might have for the fight itself.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

CM Punk, the supposed fighter, will become will filled with terror as he tries to walk to the cage, and will sit down and sob instead. No one will be happy with this.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.
Like when Ronda Rousey throws weird jabs in sparring footage and people make fun of her on the internet it isn't because she's secretly hiding her best poo poo for the fight, it's cause she just isn't as comfortable striking as she is with grappling.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Kurohashi posted:

Punk is secretly hiding his knowledge of basic posture and movement.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

projecthalaxy posted:

CM Punk, the supposed fighter, will become will filled with terror as he tries to walk to the cage, and will sit down and sob instead. No one will be happy with this.

Speak for yourself.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

Punk is secretly hiding his knowledge of basic posture and movement.

hehe

Grifter
Jul 24, 2003

I do this technique called a suplex. You probably haven't heard of it, it's pretty obscure.

Detroit_Dogg posted:

Ah yes, he's hiding all of his secret moves for the fight. Smart.
That's ridiculous. He's training at Roufusport, not Jackson's.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

"Heh heh heh... this isn't even 30% of my core competency!" Frieza smirks as he stands upright, tucks his chin in and actually makes a marginal attempt to move his head out of the way of Goku's strikes

dromal phrenia
Feb 22, 2004

it's going to be so cool when punk reveals the piece of poo poo uppercut is actually bait and it sets up the Go To Sleep

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
You guys are gonna feel real foolish when it's revealed those tapes were only playing at quarter speed.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

dromal phrenia posted:

it's going to be so cool when punk reveals the piece of poo poo uppercut is actually bait and it sets up the Go To Sleep

specifically, himself going to sleep from the counter hook.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Will Punk's fight or the Overeem fight go on last on the card, do you think?

Electric Lady
Mar 21, 2010

To be victorious
you must find glory
in the little things
Didn't someone say Punk's fight was opening the main card?

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

It's the middle fight on the main card. There has only been like one time in history where a non title fight was main over a title fight.

Wikipedia lists fights in descending order they will appear, for example

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UFC_203

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

Electric Lady posted:

Didn't someone say Punk's fight was opening the main card?

nope bout order is set and it's 3rd from the top. It's also been so heavily promoted that there is no reason to have it open the PPV card, when according to some rough UFC analytics from years ago like 50% of all PPV purchasers/bar goers even watch.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Bluedeanie posted:

It's the middle fight on the main card. There has only been like one time in history where a non title fight was main over a title fight.

Wikipedia lists fights in descending order they will appear, for example

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UFC_203

Ah thanks, I didn't know that. I won't be able to watch the whole thing but will hopefully at least be able to see a man die.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I didn't realise Faber was on the card, and the Calderwood Andrade fight should be a barn burner too. This card is a lot better than I thought it was.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

I don't know if I'm happy or sad that the people tuning in to see just CM Punk don't have to sit through the CB Dolloway fight before hand.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Eat This Glob posted:

I don't know if I'm happy or sad that the people tuning in to see just CM Punk don't have to sit through the CB Dolloway fight before hand.

hazing is an outdated mode of fostering a sense of community and honestly i'm glad to be rid of it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
It won't happen, but imagine if Punk tried to do some bullshit Tae Kwon Do move like its UFC 5 or something

• Locked thread