Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

£699 in the U.K. For a 128gb one. What the heck

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Sir Lemming posted:

or $0 if you park yourself near a paved trail in a gentrified town and wait for a runner to lose them

or left on a seat in the subway

ask me how i know this

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.

Utnayan posted:

I have not paid any differently on my contracted price in the last 10 years over 5 upgrades. Which is $49 a month unlimited data.

Yeah but Sprint is an abomination.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

fourwood posted:

Yeah but Sprint is an abomination.

definitely coverage-wise.

robodex
Jun 6, 2007

They're what's for dinner
FYI iOS 10 GM and WatchOS 3 GM are out for devs

Go Go Gadget
Sep 24, 2004

Utnayan posted:

I just bought a $199 phone subsidized from Sprint. It's also available and will continue to be available for Verizon, AT&T, and Tmobile. When you go to a store (If you are interested in being remotely fiscally responsible and not throwing away money) all you have to do is say this when you enter or you will switch carriers and wallah. Oh hey look at that, those price point plans still exist.You just saved $569 over the course of a year by just paing $199 up front and entering a contract which doesn't really matter anyhow.

Just beaten by Lblitzer but it's not as good of a deal as it seems.

When you sign a contract for a 'subsidized' phone, it means you're agreeing to a $40/mo "Access" fee. If you're not in contract (i.e. "month to month"), that access fee is $15/mo. So you're just paying $600 to them in a different way ($25/mo for 24 months). The current 'installment' plans are almost no different than the old subsidized phone system, but there's no $199 upfront cost because it's all monthly.

edit: the "month to month" access fee is $15 if you have at least a certain amount of data in your plan (generally 10GB). If you're on a 4GB plan the access fee is generally $25 for month to month.

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

robodex posted:

FYI iOS 10 GM and WatchOS 3 GM are out for devs

Do they end up pushing the GM out on the public beta channel? I don't remember how the 9.0 release went.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

fourwood posted:

Do they end up pushing the GM out on the public beta channel? I don't remember how the 9.0 release went.
Just grab the .ipsw file you need. They don't check for dev provisioning on GM seeds since they're often the exact build that goes out a few days later.

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002
PROUD MEMBER OF THE RAPIST DEFENSE BRIGADE! DO NOT BE MEAN TO RAPISTS, OR I WILL VOTE FOR THEM WITH EVER INCREASING VIGOR!

Bottom Liner posted:

Yes but if you went off contract your plan would be cheaper for the same options you thick headed goon.

No it wouldn't. Because I already ran the math. You should do it sometime.

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002
PROUD MEMBER OF THE RAPIST DEFENSE BRIGADE! DO NOT BE MEAN TO RAPISTS, OR I WILL VOTE FOR THEM WITH EVER INCREASING VIGOR!

Go Go Gadget posted:

Just beaten by Lblitzer but it's not as good of a deal as it seems.

When you sign a contract for a 'subsidized' phone, it means you're agreeing to a $40/mo "Access" fee. If you're not in contract (i.e. "month to month"), that access fee is $15/mo. So you're just paying $600 to them in a different way ($25/mo for 24 months). The current 'installment' plans are almost no different than the old subsidized phone system, but there's no $199 upfront cost because it's all monthly.

edit: the "month to month" access fee is $15 if you have at least a certain amount of data in your plan (generally 10GB). If you're on a 4GB plan the access fee is generally $25 for month to month.

Except I already ran the numbers on a leased phone and the service charges from sprint itself stayed the same same whether I subsidized or not. Only the hardware of the device itself increased over the course of 2 years.

robodex
Jun 6, 2007

They're what's for dinner
Also Sierra will come out Sept 20th, no idea if they've pushed a GM

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

Question Mark Mound posted:

Lololol the volume controls on Airpods are done via Siri. No loving way.

in a few years people will be muttering to themselves "increase volume" in crowded buses and subway trains

thanks apple

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Hope the AirPods sync with device volume* rather than just rely on Siri cause otherwise :wtc:

*as opposed to other BT headphones that have their own volume level along with the device audio level. And a separate volume for the call profile.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Utnayan posted:

No it wouldn't. Because I already ran the math. You should do it sometime.

Yeah ask your carrier about that and get back to us

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
So, those Skylake MacBooks were sure impressive.

:negative:

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

FWIW I just looked at getting a new iPhone 6S on the Sprint website. 2-year contract is $212 up front and $90/mo for 6 GB of data. 24-month payment plan is $92/month, $41 up front, so contract is more expensive.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

logikv9 posted:

in a few years people will be muttering to themselves "increase volume" in crowded buses and subway trains

thanks apple

Eh? Won't they just adjust it via their phones?

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Is there really any reason to get the Series 2 if I don't give a poo poo about GPS and swimming with the thing?

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Agronox posted:

Eh? Won't they just adjust it via their phones?

They didn't make a big deal about it in the keynote but iPhone 7 actually comes with built-in hardware volume controls! Courageous.

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Rorus Raz posted:

Is there really any reason to get the Series 2 if I don't give a poo poo about GPS and swimming with the thing?

Not really, they upgraded the CPU in the original watch and are selling it for $100 less than Series 2.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Do you still have to go into the store to do the apple upgrade program or can you do it all online at this point?

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

fourwood posted:

They didn't make a big deal about it in the keynote but iPhone 7 actually comes with built-in hardware volume controls! Courageous.

I can't tell what's real in these kinds of threads sometimes; everyone is always in a rush to talk poo poo about everything.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

robodex posted:

Also Sierra will come out Sept 20th, no idea if they've pushed a GM
Sounds like it's up for developers.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

fourwood posted:

FWIW I just looked at getting a new iPhone 6S on the Sprint website. 2-year contract is $212 up front and $90/mo for 6 GB of data. 24-month payment plan is $92/month, $41 up front, so contract is more expensive.

The prices may be for surrendering a phone, so you have to consider that as well. When I did it last time to get the 6S+ I traded in my 4S and got $7 off the iPhone forever plan. I kept my 5S around as a backup. Then there was a 10$/month loyalty credit I got put on that is still going. Might lose that when I upgrade.

The 6S plans on the sprint site probably will drop once the store is updated with the 7.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

Rorus Raz posted:

There's no reason to get an Apple Watch.

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Agronox posted:

I can't tell what's real in these kinds of threads sometimes; everyone is always in a rush to talk poo poo about everything.

Yeah... not sure how people got the idea that you can only control the volume through Siri... That's the dumbest thing ever and not even Apple is that dumb.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Bape Culture posted:

That's $1202 CAD which is approximately what I paid for an unlocked 64GB 6S so... Pretty much in line.

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Bape Culture posted:

So the same price as the 6s' 128gb previous price point?

Shin-chan
Aug 1, 2008

To be a man you must have honor...
...honor and a penis!

fourwood posted:

Until they decide those buttons are too thick/wide and remove them for courageous reasons!

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

God knows how much the poo poo will cost in CAD but I'm thinking of going with a 256GB Plus.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Housh posted:

God knows how much the poo poo will cost in CAD but I'm thinking of going with a 256GB Plus.

Downpayment on a Vancouver detached

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

fourwood posted:

Yeah... not sure how people got the idea that you can only control the volume through Siri... That's the dumbest thing ever and not even Apple is that dumb.
It's more that if you have your headphones in, your phone is probably in your pocket and little volume buttons on the headphones are way handier than reaching into your pocket to adjust them, especially when running.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Pivo posted:

Downpayment on a Vancouver detached

So $1,309.00 + HST?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
Carriers in the US have been doing no contract plans for years. I get regular people still not betting it, but you would think people posting on Something Awful would do the math and research by this point.

Linx
Aug 14, 2008

Pork Pro
Haha £159 for AirPods, are you loving joking?

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Linx posted:

Haha £159 for AirPods, are you loving joking?
this is all nigel farage's fault

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
SOMEONE saw this coming.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

iOS 10 GM is actually 10.0.1, build 14A403.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Housh posted:

So $1,309.00 + HST?

Per square foot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Linx
Aug 14, 2008

Pork Pro

St Evan Echoes posted:

this is all nigel farage's fault