Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sunday at work
Apr 6, 2011

"Man is the animal that thinks something is wrong."

owl_pellet posted:

While that is a nice desk, I'm asking about something like this:

My office has a few outside of some conference rooms and I sat in one the other day and it was pretty comfortable. I liked that the mousing surface extended back to support my whole arm, and the keyboard/laptop shelf that swung into place and adjusted was pretty nice. All it's missing is a similar mount and adjustable arm for a monitor and it would be perfect. Is such a thing available for home use? I wouldn't need the white opaque privacy thing or really any of the partition part. I'm not even sure what to search for.

Office furniture pieces like that can be really exspensive. If all you want is a small desk with a keyboard tray and a space to rest your arm a custom furniture maker could probably make something nicer looking for the same cost or less.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

sunday at work posted:

Office furniture pieces like that can be really exspensive. If all you want is a small desk with a keyboard tray and a space to rest your arm a custom furniture maker could probably make something nicer looking for the same cost or less.

OTOH, check local classifieds for real office equipment from companies going bankrupt, redecorating or getting rid of their furniture and equipment for cheap. You can get amazing deals on high quality stuff meant for heavy use that will last forever in a home setting.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

evobatman posted:

OTOH, check local classifieds for real office equipment from companies going bankrupt, redecorating or getting rid of their furniture and equipment for cheap. You can get amazing deals on high quality stuff meant for heavy use that will last forever in a home setting.

Best advice right here, businesses selling their stuff is usually cheap as gently caress and can even be haggled down. Buying these sorta "special" business solutions new is ridiculous on pricing.

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

evobatman posted:

If you've got a college campus nearby, they often get rid of surplus property at similarly inexpensive prices. I got my current desk for $25 and it's one of those big solid wood government-issue-type desks from the 50s (kinda like a tanker desk made from wood). Moving it is... challenging.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Magnus Praeda posted:

Moving it is... challenging.

Move it for reps.

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

After 12 years on an Ikea Jerker I upgraded to something a little nicer. Just need to get a new monitor on the left and invest in some cable management.

RandomZero
Aug 22, 2010

On Terra Firma posted:

After 12 years on an Ikea Jerker I upgraded to something a little nicer. Just need to get a new monitor on the left and invest in some cable management.

What table/desk is that? Looking for something similar before the one I'm using collapses in on itself.

RiperSnifel
Jul 13, 2007

Pull the handle, let it go, now you know you're ready to roll.
Okay, throwing my hat in judge me for my awful cable management and messy existence

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

RandomZero posted:

What table/desk is that? Looking for something similar before the one I'm using collapses in on itself.

Took me forever to find something deep enough to put an ottoman underneath for my feet.

https://www.allmodern.com/Elan-Furniture-Loft-Dining-Table-LT1TDX-306030S-ELAN1142.html

However the edges are a bit sharp and I don't like how low the frame sits compared to my ikea jerker so I will probably be returning it. Oh well.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

On Terra Firma posted:

Took me forever to find something deep enough to put an ottoman underneath for my feet.

https://www.allmodern.com/Elan-Furniture-Loft-Dining-Table-LT1TDX-306030S-ELAN1142.html

However the edges are a bit sharp and I don't like how low the frame sits compared to my ikea jerker so I will probably be returning it. Oh well.

That's an absurd price for 25 feet of thin square tubing and some lovely wood.

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

at the date posted:

I got a pretty steep discount on it elsewhere. I wouldn't have paid full price for it.

RandomZero
Aug 22, 2010

On Terra Firma posted:

I got a pretty steep discount on it elsewhere. I wouldn't have paid full price for it.

Thanks. But yeah, that's a bit much lol.

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

RandomZero posted:

Thanks. But yeah, that's a bit much lol.

The thing that drives me insane about what's available is for the dimensions I'm looking for there isn't much out there. There are some options at Ikea but the overall sizes are really small and I haven't been impressed with the sturdiness of what I've seen in store. So the only option was something like this around $400 and some shipping costs, or going the custom route/making it myself. The only option I can think of that would be remotely easy would be to get the karlby ikea countertop and purchase some pipe legs, but the table wouldn't be tall enough or have enough support for the length of the tabletop. Ugh.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

On Terra Firma posted:

The thing that drives me insane about what's available is for the dimensions I'm looking for there isn't much out there. There are some options at Ikea but the overall sizes are really small and I haven't been impressed with the sturdiness of what I've seen in store. So the only option was something like this around $400 and some shipping costs, or going the custom route/making it myself. The only option I can think of that would be remotely easy would be to get the karlby ikea countertop and purchase some pipe legs, but the table wouldn't be tall enough or have enough support for the length of the tabletop. Ugh.

IKEA counter top works great, just add a 5th leg.

http://imgur.com/a/xkehe

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

ColHannibal posted:

IKEA counter top works great, just add a 5th leg.

http://imgur.com/a/xkehe

That's not going to be deep enough. I'm talking about the karlby kitchen island counter top. It's 72 inches by 42.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

On Terra Firma posted:

That's not going to be deep enough. I'm talking about the karlby kitchen island counter top. It's 72 inches by 42.

A 5th leg would still work, and if you are super concerned with it use black steel pipe and floor flanges to attach to the desk.

RandomZero
Aug 22, 2010

ColHannibal posted:

A 5th leg would still work, and if you are super concerned with it use black steel pipe and floor flanges to attach to the desk.

This is starting to look like a viable option in my case, getting one of these counter tops and buying some legs separately and attaching them. Def. needing the stability that something like this would provide.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

RandomZero posted:

This is starting to look like a viable option in my case, getting one of these counter tops and buying some legs separately and attaching them. Def. needing the stability that something like this would provide.

Yea I used the square legs from the desk section, was $15 a leg I think.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

at the date posted:

I was gonna disagree with you but then I saw that it was ash. smdh.

Herman Miller Envelop status: still a pro as gently caress desk, walnut finish still baller

RandomZero
Aug 22, 2010

ColHannibal posted:

Yea I used the square legs from the desk section, was $15 a leg I think.

Cool, thanks!

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
A E S T H E T I C S ?

Yeah, I dunno where I am going with this.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

BabyRyoga posted:

A E S T H E T I C S ?

Somewhere you don't need roads.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

BabyRyoga posted:

A E S T H E T I C S ?

A thing to go with your good taste
http://www.shazbotsyndicate.com/

Spamtheman
May 30, 2005

Effer of the ineffable

BabyRyoga posted:

A E S T H E T I C S ?

The 80's?

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe

the 80s

I was going to post this too

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Needs more CRTs.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
I'm fresh out of CRTs, actually. Kinda odd for a retro/rhythm gamer, but I don't have any spot to put a PVM

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

Elsa posted:

A personal creation of mine that I've used for a few years now. iPad retina displays used as montiors, on bendy mic stands to position them wherever I want. Compact, high resolution, low power consumption (1.2mA 5V each)

I'm down to 4 (from 8) after I plugged the bottom row into the wrong Molex connector (12V instead of 5V)

I have spare adapter boards from the first prototype and need to buy replacement retina screens to feel whole again.

Bought one of these, gotta say: They are way too small to really do anything productive on them.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

BabyRyoga posted:

A E S T H E T I C S ?

Got a couple questions if you don't mind (someone give a shout if I go deraily).

Do you use the mic from that distance, or move it closer? I have an AT2020+ and I'm going kinda crazy trying to find a good spot for it.

Doesn't it bother you having the monitors separated/angled like that? How "deep" is that desk?

I'm digging the overall look. I may steal that speaker setup if I convince my mum to let go of some old Technics speakers she has.

/edit: also VVVVVV

Edmond Dantes fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Sep 7, 2016

bigmandan
Sep 11, 2001

lol internet
College Slice

KakerMix posted:

A thing to go with your good taste
http://www.shazbotsyndicate.com/

This is awesome.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Edmond Dantes posted:

Got a couple questions if you don't mind (someone give a shout if I go deraily).

Do you use the mic from that distance, or move it closer? I have an AT2020+ and I'm going kinda crazy trying to find a good spot for it.

Doesn't it bother you having the monitors separated/angled like that? How "deep" is that desk?

I'm digging the overall look. I may steal that speaker setup if I convince my mum to let go of some old Technics speakers she has.

/edit: also VVVVVV
I have the same mic as you (plus the big kid, non-welfare model of that guy's amp and DAC), and I have it on a stand at the very back of my desk and I'm perfectly audible. however I'm a loud talker so if you're a mumbley Proud Introvert you might need to speak up like your dad would have wanted you to if he didn't run off when you were 7.

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe

SEKCobra posted:

Bought one of these, gotta say: They are way too small to really do anything productive on them.

If you wanna sell it to me I'll buy it off you

I kind of feel responsible here, and I need four new cards. My batch of first-gen don't have the 5V solder option.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

Elsa posted:

If you wanna sell it to me I'll buy it off you

I kind of feel responsible here, and I need four new cards. My batch of first-gen don't have the 5V solder option.

Actually, I got an iPad Mini combo it seems, although I don't see the additional 5 cm making it much more usable. This definitely seemed better in theory :v:

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe

SEKCobra posted:

Actually, I got an iPad Mini combo it seems, although I don't see the additional 5 cm making it much more usable. This definitely seemed better in theory :v:

Oh, okay. I was going to say that's a harsh criticism of iPads. I don't know what I'd do with an iPad mini screen either lol.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

Elsa posted:

Oh, okay. I was going to say that's a harsh criticism of iPads. I don't know what I'd do with an iPad mini screen either lol.

Well, I can see it working fine as an ipad mini, since you'd have it far closer to your face and also have some good DPI scalling.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

TenementFunster posted:

I have the same mic as you (plus the big kid, non-welfare model of that guy's amp and DAC), and I have it on a stand at the very back of my desk and I'm perfectly audible. however I'm a loud talker so if you're a mumbley Proud Introvert you might need to speak up like your dad would have wanted you to if he didn't run off when you were 7.

My problem is not my manly as gently caress voice (not really, but I speak rather normally), but the fact that I live over an avenue, so if I turn the sensitivity high enough for it to pick up my voice clearly, it picks up every single car going by, and that's being ~20 inches from me, if I set it at the back of the desk it would be much worse. :(

Spekkio
Sep 23, 2005

Really satisfying music!
Built a new gaming PC and decided to swap the two monitors for an ultrawide.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

Spekkio posted:

Built a new gaming PC and decided to swap the two monitors for an ultrawide.

I've been really curious about these lately. How do you like it compared to your 2 monitor setup?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

TenementFunster posted:

Are you Alex Jones IRL?

SEKCobra posted:

The iPad Mini display takes up roughly half the area of the regular size one, so those 5cm of diagonal length add up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

So I picked up a bekant desk from Ikea hoping it would replace my jerker and holy gently caress the wobble on this is insane. Is there a fix or should I return? It's not the legs not hitting evenly, it's that the whole thing just isn't sturdy at all.