Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spiky butthole
May 5, 2014
They are probably testing it for 6 and 6p before the new phone release and hopefully issue the it's in one hit. Or just ignore the 6 :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

CLAM DOWN posted:

Sorry, has the release N version for the 6P been delayed? I'm not in the beta program and I'd rather not wipe at this point to unlock my bootloader (for a manual flash).

ilkhan posted:

My 6P went from M to release N when I signed up for the beta program on release day.
Maybe country by country? I believe they are going out via OTA already.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

ThermoPhysical posted:

The factory images for the 6P and 6 aren't up and the only devices that have the actual non-DP to RTM OTA are 5X and Pixel, I believe.

The 6P and 5X both can get Nougat if you register for DP5, but there's no other way to get it if you're on 6P (or 6) and Google's been characteristically silent it seems.

https://twitter.com/googlenexus/status/773227739067342853

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
My wife's got a G3 that someone gave for free. Today she took it in her bag and noticed it was off unexpectedly. When you try and power it on, the LG logo display for a but then you just get a black screen. Was working fine up until this point. Has anyone encountered this by any chance? I can't work out if the hardware's just hosed and I should stop messing about trying to get it to work.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
I'm swapping my new S7 for a Moto Z because I'm an idiot. Any word on if third parties are gonna start making cosmetic shells for it? Moto's selection is incredibly disappointing after the magic of Moto Maker for the X.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

They've been saying that the past two weeks though. I don't think anyone on M has gotten the N OTA yet.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
Just put your phone in the beta program, you get the OTA straight away and then you can un-enrol it.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

ThermoPhysical posted:

They've been saying that the past two weeks though. I don't think anyone on M has gotten the N OTA yet.

Right, but that's a little different from "characteristically silent". I mean, how would we knowfor sure if "anyone" has gotten the N OTA.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

chippy posted:

Just put your phone in the beta program, you get the OTA straight away and then you can un-enrol it.

This doesn't have any consequences like wiping it or something silly? I've never participated in the betas before.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

The Gunslinger posted:

This doesn't have any consequences like wiping it or something silly? I've never participated in the betas before.

If you're on a preview build, it would wipe it when you left it and went back to a mainstream build. But if you do it at the moment, you'll get the release version of Nougat and nothing will happen when you leave. I did it on mine, nothing happened when I left the preview program. The OTA did fail to install the first time, but it didn't cause any issues, I got the prompt again about 12 hours later and it worked perfectly.

e: You enrol here: https://www.google.com/android/beta

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

The Merkinman posted:

One of the largest holdouts, Chase, is now supported in Android Pay.

What's the benefit to doing this again? So I can awkwardly try to get it to work, holding everyone in line up, just so I don't have to insert?
Oh, and examine the payment terminal to see if it has an nfc reader, then hope it's activated?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Some people like contactless payments. Get over it.

Wax Dynasty
Jan 1, 2013

This postseason, I've really enjoyed bringing back the three-inning save.

Hell Gem

RZA Encryption posted:

What's the benefit to doing this again? So I can awkwardly try to get it to work, holding everyone in line up, just so I don't have to insert?
Oh, and examine the payment terminal to see if it has an nfc reader, then hope it's activated?

Honestly most terminals don't support it, but on those that do it's been my experience that it's always faster than inserting the new chipcards.

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.

RZA Encryption posted:

You don't look like an asshat when you swipe your card instead of sticking it in the chipreader or vice versa?

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

It's extremely fast and painless every time I get the chance to use it, it's just that it's almost never supported at the places I go.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

RZA Encryption posted:

I haven't used it all that recently but NFC payment isn't any slower than the ol' swipe or the not-so-ol' insert chip. You whip out your phone while ringing up, put your PIN in to make it ready for payment, and then waggle it by the receiver. It registers the payment, the cashier does their part, and then you take your receipt and leave.

Does the new stuff make you out your pin in the terminal or do you still do it on your phone?

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

chippy posted:

If you're on a preview build, it would wipe it when you left it and went back to a mainstream build. But if you do it at the moment, you'll get the release version of Nougat and nothing will happen when you leave. I did it on mine, nothing happened when I left the preview program. The OTA did fail to install the first time, but it didn't cause any issues, I got the prompt again about 12 hours later and it worked perfectly.

e: You enrol here: https://www.google.com/android/beta

Ok I will give it a whirl, thanks for taking the time to write that up.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

FAUXTON posted:

I haven't used it all that recently but NFC payment isn't any slower than the ol' swipe or the not-so-ol' insert chip. You whip out your phone while ringing up, put your PIN in to make it ready for payment, and then waggle it by the receiver. It registers the payment, the cashier does their part, and then you take your receipt and leave.

Does the new stuff make you out your pin in the terminal or do you still do it on your phone?
Are you talking about a PIN to unlock the phone or a PIN associated with the card? I've never had to interact with the phone or the terminal in any way other than unlocking the phone before waving it at the NFC. Used both debit and credit cards. If you've got a fingerprint reader for the unlock it really does feel like one of those magical future technologies to me.

Actually the hardest part of it was verifying the cards for Android Pay with the bank. Both cards I had to call in, my debit card I had to talk to a person and be on hold a while; my credit card I had to try several times to spell out a security code to the robot answering the call.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Android Pay still doesn't work very well with Smart Unlock. Unless you've unlocked with a PIN recently, it will fail payment with no real feedback. Real PITA with Android wear. I have to take my phone out, wake it up, forcibly lock it from the lock screen, unlock and enter PIN, THEN it will work. If I just pull it from my pocket and have it launch Android Pay on its own, the payment tries to process and just fails.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

bull3964 posted:

Android Pay still doesn't work very well with Smart Unlock. Unless you've unlocked with a PIN recently, it will fail payment with no real feedback. Real PITA with Android wear. I have to take my phone out, wake it up, forcibly lock it from the lock screen, unlock and enter PIN, THEN it will work. If I just pull it from my pocket and have it launch Android Pay on its own, the payment tries to process and just fails.

This doesn't sound convenient.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

bull3964 posted:

For me or will generally ask for me to enter my code after I try to pay, I enter it, and the second time it works.

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?
We don't have Android Pay in Canada yet, even though I'm seeing more and more terminals with the android pay icon. I have a buddy who uses the RBC contactless payment app all the time, according to him it's only inconvenient when the cashier doesn't understand what you're doing and accuses you of not paying and/or hacking their terminal.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

It's pretty cool at Walgreens since you can enter your customer loyalty card at the same time you are paying. The time I used that the cashier was super impressed.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Hungry Computer posted:

We don't have Android Pay in Canada yet, even though I'm seeing more and more terminals with the android pay icon. I have a buddy who uses the RBC contactless payment app all the time, according to him it's only inconvenient when the cashier doesn't understand what you're doing and accuses you of not paying and/or hacking their terminal.

No Samsung Pay either, the banks are probably resisting it.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

RZA Encryption posted:

If you have a phone with a fingerprint reader, contactless payment owns and is way faster than the USA's "insert chip and wait around forever and start to get your bags and whoops the payment terminal is now letting me take my card back let me put this bag down and put the card back in my wallet now" method

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Shouldn't Samsung pay work via MST even if the POS isn't NFC compatible?

I wish Android pay supported MST.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Nitrousoxide posted:

It's pretty cool at Walgreens since you can enter your customer loyalty card at the same time you are paying. The time I used that the cashier was super impressed.

That's cool, but I'll just stick to using my ex's phone number

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

RZA Encryption posted:

I have a Note5, and one of the nice features of it is that ~*~*Samsung pay*~*~ works with old terminals via a magnetic signal the phone can produce.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Nitrousoxide posted:

Shouldn't Samsung pay work via MST even if the POS isn't NFC compatible?

I wish Android pay supported MST.

Yeah, it's a pretty killer feature, once your country has it (rip canada).

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Nitrousoxide posted:

For me or will generally ask for me to enter my code after I try to pay, I enter it, and the second time it works.

Doesn't for me. It never asks for a PIN and just fails.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
I haven't been keeping up with the phone market much lately, what would be a good replacement for a Note 4 other than the Note 7 with a non-exploding battery? Is there anything out there that's clearly superior to the Note? From what I saw the Note 7 didn't receive as good of a review as some of the previous models have.

Alternatively I could keep the Note 4 but I can't find anyone willing to replace my broken screen glass without a $250 unneeded replacement of the entire screen. Is the glass replacement pretty easy to do?

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005

CLAM DOWN posted:

Yeah, it's a pretty killer feature, once your country has it (rip canada).

2016... sometime in 2016.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

ratbert90 posted:

I have a Note5, and one of the nice features of it is that ~*~*Samsung pay*~*~ works with old terminals via a magnetic signal the phone can produce.

I've never looked into the security of it, but "phone blasting out card's magstripe data" seems terrifying.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

RZA Encryption posted:

I've never looked into the security of it, but "phone blasting out card's magstripe data" seems terrifying.

It uses tokenization, so it's not really blasting out your card's actual magstripe data.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

RZA Encryption posted:

It's no less secure than NFC, uses the same token system.

e:fb

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Yeah it's actually more secure since when home depo or whatever gets inevitability hacked all they've taken is that one time use number.

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

chippy posted:

My wife's got a G3 that someone gave for free. Today she took it in her bag and noticed it was off unexpectedly. When you try and power it on, the LG logo display for a but then you just get a black screen. Was working fine up until this point. Has anyone encountered this by any chance? I can't work out if the hardware's just hosed and I should stop messing about trying to get it to work.

This got lost in the Pay stuff. My wife's G3 just started failing last week, too, actually. For her it is actually the screen--the phone isn't off, but it's hard to tell. The screen will come on now and then for a bit, but unreliably and for short spans. The touch sensitivity still works, as do actual phone processes, it just displays nothing.

A search online revealed large threads showing that this is a known issue with the G3. Consensus there seems to be it's some motherboard fault. Not sure if it's the same issue you have, but it seemed possible from your explanation.

We wrote it off as dead. Thankfully, like you, we got it cheap from a friend.

Serenade
Nov 5, 2011

"I should really learn to fucking read"
Suppose there was a sudden and compelling reason to swap from an iphone to an android device, going from one to the other is just a matter of file transfer then moving over the sim cards, correct?

Asking for a friend and that friend is me.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

Are you talking about a PIN to unlock the phone or a PIN associated with the card? I've never had to interact with the phone or the terminal in any way other than unlocking the phone before waving it at the NFC. Used both debit and credit cards. If you've got a fingerprint reader for the unlock it really does feel like one of those magical future technologies to me.

Actually the hardest part of it was verifying the cards for Android Pay with the bank. Both cards I had to call in, my debit card I had to talk to a person and be on hold a while; my credit card I had to try several times to spell out a security code to the robot answering the call.

Phone PIN. I think I remember the Android Pay app makes you use something other than swipe-to-unlock, too, but I've always used a PIN on my phone and I might be recalling stdh. The Wallet app had a separate PIN iirc and that had to be open (not just the phone being unlocked) but the Pay app doesn't need to be open unless you want to change the card you're paying with. My local bank debit card doesn't support it but my CC does since that's through Capital One. I got a new job a while back and have been able to just use my debit card to buy poo poo I would have otherwise paid off over a few months previously so it's been a while since I paid by NFC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

FAUXTON posted:

Phone PIN. I think I remember the Android Pay app makes you use something other than swipe-to-unlock, too, but I've always used a PIN on my phone and I might be recalling stdh. The Wallet app had a separate PIN iirc and that had to be open (not just the phone being unlocked) but the Pay app doesn't need to be open unless you want to change the card you're paying with. My local bank debit card doesn't support it but my CC does since that's through Capital One. I got a new job a while back and have been able to just use my debit card to buy poo poo I would have otherwise paid off over a few months previously so it's been a while since I paid by NFC.

The few times that I've used Android Pay the terminal made me put in a PIN.