Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Panfilo posted:

I'm getting really goddamned sick of leavers in competitive mode. The previous 5 games I lost had at least one leaver, and just recently we had THREE people leave halfway into it. It seems like there's not enough steps taken to protect the players that are actually willing to stick around. Yes, I get that sometimes people get power outages/internet issues and stuff, but I wish something more can be done. At least in quickmatches you can have somebody fill in.

The leaver problem is worst at the beginning of a season, they'll all self-select out in a little while by getting season bans

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005
Yeah leavers are about as common as unbalanced teams until most players average out to their regular rankings.

It can be soul maddening when you get placed with I Hanjo against human-aimbot Mcree though.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

i still haven't done my placements and i'm kinda wary of doing so yet until the inevitable bugfix patch.

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
Just make sure to do your placements with goons. Silver tier baby wooo! :P

FiestaDePantalones
May 13, 2005

Kicked in the pants by TFLC
I've got 1 (PS4) placement match left with 5 losses, 2 wins, and 2 ties. I've gotten at least two golds in most of those matches. I've had leavers in 3 matches. Why do I feel like I'm destined for whatever bottom tier is?

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

FiestaDePantalones posted:

I've got 1 (PS4) placement match left with 5 losses, 2 wins, and 2 ties. I've gotten at least two golds in most of those matches. I've had leavers in 3 matches. Why do I feel like I'm destined for whatever bottom tier is?

Because placement feels arbitrary anyways. Some people lost seven of their placements last season and ended up in the high fifties.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Keep in mind that your competitive rank is based off your quickplay MMR and probably your last season's rank,though that isn't confirmed yet. All theplacement wins and losses do is sort you out a bit from that, and it's totally possible to lose all your placement matches and wind up with a higher rank than someone who won all of theirs if you are a significantly better player. It's not arbitrary, the only really confusing part is how Blizzard hides your quickplay MMR. But they want to obfuscate quickplay stats as muchsas possible, they don't even letyou see your win/loss ratio now. :geno:

Tsietisin
Jul 2, 2004

Time passes quickly on the weekend.

Leaves during your placement matches is annoying. I went 2-8 with several of those being from people leaving, even when we were winning.

Seeing rank loss from leavers is disheartening. It would be nice top know that the loss is minimized I'd there are leavers on your team.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Manatee Cannon posted:

wonder if they'll change something for her or the heroes that are still languishing at the very bottom, like poor old symmetra
I still want Symmetra's turrets to shoot (weak) healing beams at her nearby teammates when no enemy is close.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
Earlier today i pulled 4 gold medals with symmetra in a ranked match, and it was then that I knew my team was poo poo garbage.

Also I got seeded in at 2580 so uh i'm hosed forever.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!

Tsietisin posted:

Leaves during your placement matches is annoying. I went 2-8 with several of those being from people leaving, even when we were winning.

Seeing rank loss from leavers is disheartening. It would be nice top know that the loss is minimized I'd there are leavers on your team.

I think the tricky thing for Blizzard is finding a way to be fair to people who don't quit while not being exploitable.

If rank loss was minimized with leavers, then people would have a rotating volunteer quit to preserve the rest of the group's ranking on an imminent loss.

Personally, I'd go the opposite direction; a bonus modifier to your rank and exp for every consecutive game you DONT quit out of, and win. This would continue to accumulate until you drop out/quit out of a match.

Alternatively, let people on their friends list fill in for leavers so long as they'd get matched up with the opponents anyway; have the fill in guy get lots of bonus exp (more than a fill in for a quickmatch) but not affect his rank. If you have buddies waiting in queue they could then hop in to help your team out.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

Asimo posted:

Keep in mind that your competitive rank is based off your quickplay MMR and probably your last season's rank,though that isn't confirmed yet. All theplacement wins and losses do is sort you out a bit from that, and it's totally possible to lose all your placement matches and wind up with a higher rank than someone who won all of theirs if you are a significantly better player. It's not arbitrary, the only really confusing part is how Blizzard hides your quickplay MMR. But they want to obfuscate quickplay stats as muchsas possible, they don't even letyou see your win/loss ratio now. :geno:

some dude went from masters to gold with like 6 losses so I wouldn't bet on this being the case

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
-200 rank for each time you leave a game.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

flashman posted:

some dude went from masters to gold with like 6 losses so I wouldn't bet on this being the case
It's trivially easy to observe though just by seeing people with the same number of wins and losses come out at wildly different ranks? And it only makes sense, if you're getting a bunch of wins against crappy players it isn't going to count for as much as getting those wins against better players. Obviously botching or winning all the placement matches is going to put you at an artificially high or low rank, but that's just how it works.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Star posted:

I had a similar experience at my level (50-56/2500-2600) until I started every game with saying hello over voice chat and asking people to join the channel. Nowadays I'm almost never in games where no one talks - and I win a lot more often (I think). People have been quite friendly in general as well.

I cannot repeat this enough. You're playing with nerds. Nerds are socially anxious. YOU--specifically you reading this post and not someone else--needs to break the ice. Once there's a Confirmed Talker on board people generally talk IME.

caveat: this does not guarantee that other people talking will necessarily be good. video games are poison.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
My season 1 entry rank was extremely close to my QP win / loss ratio, for what it's worth.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
Every so often you'll get a slampicker roadhog who refuses to switch out, whines about the mei who kills him repeatedly (lmao) and gets farty at the mere suggestion of coordination. Most of the time you won't get that, though. It'll be hard to see but you'll actually have some okay teammates concurrent with that absolute fucker god i hated that match so muc*cough cough*

Communication is dope.

Scottw330
Jan 24, 2005

Please, Hammer,
Don't Hurt Em :(
Will people hate me if I play competitive without a mic? I haven't tried it for that reason. Im ok sticking with quickplay though. Quickplay for me seems pretty similar to the competitive discussion anyway, at whatever MMR I'm at people pretty much always follow the meta.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Roadhog is the character you pick when your team refuses to go healer and you aren't feeling very civic-minded either. "Jokes on you, I can heal myself!" and all that.

Not to say he doesn't also have legitimate uses, of course.

Scottw330 posted:

Will people hate me if I play competitive without a mic? I haven't tried it for that reason. Im ok sticking with quickplay though. Quickplay for me seems pretty similar to the competitive discussion anyway, at whatever MMR I'm at people pretty much always follow the meta.

It's a liability, because you can't call out enemy locations, which can save your team from dying if you're careful. If you're on comms and listening that's already half the battle won, though.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

Asimo posted:

It's trivially easy to observe though just by seeing people with the same number of wins and losses come out at wildly different ranks? And it only makes sense, if you're getting a bunch of wins against crappy players it isn't going to count for as much as getting those wins against better players. Obviously botching or winning all the placement matches is going to put you at an artificially high or low rank, but that's just how it works.

it depends which games you lose.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
This Overwatch game is pretty okay, sometimes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Iz-6EYwt1Y

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

most people play competitive without a mic

if you're playing with a group, at least make sure you can hear them

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Voice chat in video games is overrated. Useful? Can be. Necessary? No.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo

Duck and Cover posted:

I for one cannot stress enough the value of telling my hanzo and mercy in the backline "i hear a reaper back there, watch your backs" only for them to completely ignore me and die to the reaper very quickly

junan_paalla
Dec 29, 2009

Seriously, do drugs
Rode a win streak up to platinum, gotta get those sweet comp points at the end of the season. Not worried about losing streaks anymore since I'll keep my shiny plat badge.

Steeltalon
Feb 14, 2012

Perps were uncooperative.

Oops. Wrong thread.

Steeltalon fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Sep 7, 2016

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
im a diamond at heart but a platinum in practice

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Duck and Cover posted:

it's not, good communication is actually huge in making a team better

the thing is, most people either don't talk or listen to people that do so you not talking as well isn't a big deal unless you're playing against groups in the high end of ranked

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011
Any idea what i am doing wrong?

These are some Quickplays https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Msc-zvpTz8

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Manatee Cannon posted:

it's not, good communication is actually huge in making a team better

the thing is, most people either don't talk or listen to people that do so you not talking as well isn't a big deal unless you're playing against groups in the high end of ranked

You know what's more important? Shooting dude/dudettes in a shooty dude/dudette game.

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*

TheresaJayne posted:

hanzo hanzo mccree bastion genji *clicks stop*

Show us a proper comp game.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Duck and Cover posted:

You know what's more important? Shooting dude/dudettes in a shooty dude/dudette game.

Coordination is what enables you to do the shooting instead of getting shot. Talking about which is "more important" is dumb. Voice chat isn't overrated.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Not to mention it's a really basic opportunity cost thing; past a certain baseline it takes hours and hours of practice to improve your aim. If you don't have a mic, you can improve your coordination, and have a much greater and more immediate impact on your game, by buying a $5 mic and saying "hi," "let's go left" and "I have ult."

E-Money
Nov 12, 2005

Got Out.

mcvey posted:

Show us a proper comp game.

I watched a little - i don't play genji at all but here are some real basic thoughts:

first, yeah, that comp is real bad. not something you have a lot of control over besides your own part, but oof.

On the Temple defense, you engaged on the wrong side of the chokepoint. If you watch pros, a lot of times they hold on the other side of the archway and defend from there. If you play from a not-defensible position, and get picked off, you miss most of the action.

You don't right click ever and miss a lot of point blank shots. You don't move around enough - it seems like your strategy is "get to high ground, stay still, and try and snipe." That's not what genji is about. You should always be moving, always be jumping, and double jumping and wall climbing.

After your first death (where you tried to solo kill their entire team with their support, dashed away with 125 health, and re-engaged instead of retreating to get health,) you went towards the red team's spawn, instead of your point, which was under attack. You did the same thing on point B defense and just watched the meter tick down while trying to shoot at an iceblocked mei from a stationary position.

I watched a little of the second game and you just don't hit any shots. You use your left click up close but miss, when a right click or melee would connect. You probably need to work on your aim and mechanics more than anything else. Not missing, always moving, and actually defending the objective (which is the point of the game) would be a good start.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Coordination is what enables you to do the shooting instead of getting shot. Talking about which is "more important" is dumb. Voice chat isn't overrated.

in homie's defense, he's frequently chatbanned for being poisonous and unpleasant to play with so he's got a different perspective on the utility of communication.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

At low levels people will ignore you. At higher levels people can't be assed because an increase of 1% to their winrate isn't important enough and they generally know enough to group up/push/flank without constant chatter. At the highest levels communication makes the difference because skill plateaus .

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

TheresaJayne posted:

Only watched the first round but:

--You are WAAAAYYYY too far forward dooting around and feeding ult meter on the wrong side of the Anubis Choke while red team kills you then caps. You could've punished that push but instead you were respawning and running back to a lost point.
--Speaking as a dude with bad aim: your aim is bad.
--This game is what happens when teams that don't have a healer play teams that do.

mcvey posted:

e; watched the second round, that widow fight in the hallway, Please Stop Playing Genju. watch this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jonq0R8-UC0&t=129s

Willie Tomg fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Sep 7, 2016

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Duck and Cover posted:

Folks don't do much shooting when they get teamwiped by Reaper after the guy who spotted him got killed without saying anything and nobody heard the naval guns/thunderboots behind/above them. It may be 75% shooting and 25% talking but 75% doesn't get the win.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Duck and Cover posted:

At low levels people will ignore you. At higher levels people can't be assed because an increase of 1% to their winrate isn't important enough and they generally know enough to group up/push/flank without constant chatter. At the highest levels communication makes the difference because skill plateaus .

This is not my experience whatsoever but then again bile-covered locusts don't fly out of my mouth when I open it so YMMV.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rufio
Feb 6, 2003

I'm smart! Not like everybody says... like dumb... I'm smart and I want respect!
Communication in team games is cool and fun. Just don't be a chatty Cathy