Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
lurksion
Mar 21, 2013

Ultima66 posted:

It looks like essence crafting has kind of made Bows the best caster weapons. Also made everyone go CI/LL, both with the ability to use Soul Strike as a caster and the ability to craft ES gear easier.
Ha, so I had the right idea last league with bow + soul strike occultist. Just a bit too early without them essences.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

I feel like making a CI character this league. Maybe I'll go ED Occultist.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

vOv posted:

I feel like making a CI character this league. Maybe I'll go ED Occultist.
lol same and same. ive never done ci or any es build before and my plan was to do that or maybe ci whispering ice as a 2nd character this league

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

-When shopping for EA should I get a kaom's first or devoto's/blood dance?
-I've got a white 5l Zodiac Leather, what essence should I use if I'm looking ot sell it?

reaftotha
Feb 26, 2013
Can I get a guild invite for VeraCrimmings please?

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
I HAVE FINISHED GEARING

Just need to optimize rings/belt/amulet, although everything I have is pretty good, except for maybe the Lantern. Resists are capped for normal, but not ele weakness. I hope this build is good enough to finish all the content with.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Yeah you should probably buy a better ring than a Lori's. You could pair that ring with a rare glove with resists if you want to cap yourself for eleweakness maps.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

StashAugustine posted:

-When shopping for EA should I get a kaom's first or devoto's/blood dance?
-I've got a white 5l Zodiac Leather, what essence should I use if I'm looking ot sell it?

have you looked at the prices? becuse one of those items is not like the other...

also use the +life essence

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
How dumb and bad would a golem focused elementalist with 2 clayshapers be? 4 elementals of your choice wandering around.

WilltheMagicAsian
Dec 11, 2011

Man I haven't played this game in what feels like 2+ years, think I'll just make a ground slammer until I figure out how much has changed. Should build up some items and have a general idea on a second character when I inevitably rip.

Metoron
Jun 5, 2006
Hurm.
Could I get a guild invite for Nyviane?

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

How dumb and bad would a golem focused elementalist with 2 clayshapers be? 4 elementals of your choice wandering around.

nobody has tried that, god speed and namaste

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Why does a 3.3 MB patch take several minutes of 10 MB/s disk usage to fully install?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Wafflecopper posted:

Why does a 3.3 MB patch take several minutes of 10 MB/s disk usage to fully install?

Because it has to open up the ~6 GB GGPK archive, apply the patch and then repack the archive. Run the game from an SSD if at all possible.

Trogdos!
Jul 11, 2009

A DRAGON POKEMAN
well technically a water/flying type
I'm not very good at PoE, does anyone want to critique my build? I liked playing a Wings of Entropy + Cyclone build back in Warband and want to create the 2h-DW build again

http://poedb.tw/us/passive-skill-tr...vGs9kj3Mvjr_Es=

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Trogdos! posted:

I'm not very good at PoE, does anyone want to critique my build? I liked playing a Wings of Entropy + Cyclone build back in Warband and want to create the 2h-DW build again

http://poedb.tw/us/passive-skill-tr...vGs9kj3Mvjr_Es=

honestly lately WoE's dps was super lackluster, but in this league with new iron ring bases and flat phys essences on everything you might have a sleeper hit there

edit although I probably use Lacerate

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...
Trying a 2h flicker strike build and really liking it, but you really have to keep up with your weapon damage to make it viable because if you can't 1-3 shot mobs you start dropping frenzy charges pretty fast. So I just paid one chaos for a 464 dps Kondo's. I know some people switch it up at endgame and use Oro's, but is it viable to stay with physical damage instead, out of interest? And as far as scaling damage goes I presume I just want +phys on every piece of gear I can get it on, right?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Zephro posted:

Trying a 2h flicker strike build and really liking it, but you really have to keep up with your weapon damage to make it viable because if you can't 1-3 shot mobs you start dropping frenzy charges pretty fast. So I just paid one chaos for a 464 dps Kondo's. I know some people switch it up at endgame and use Oro's, but is it viable to stay with physical damage instead, out of interest? And as far as scaling damage goes I presume I just want +phys on every piece of gear I can get it on, right?

Oro's and Terminus Est both let you sustain flicker with hits rather than kills. You really have to build around them but the results speak for themselves.

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord

Zephro posted:

It's fine, you just can't sustain charges against most bosses so unless you're rolling mirrored gear on standard you will need a secondary skill to deal with boss fights.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

The Real Foogla posted:

have you looked at the prices? becuse one of those items is not like the other...

also use the +life essence

Oh wow Blood Dance looked a lot more expensive at my last look.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

dis astranagant posted:

Oro's and Terminus Est both let you sustain flicker with hits rather than kills. You really have to build around them but the results speak for themselves.
Yeah, the guide I'm following takes RT so Terminus is out. The guy has videos of him obliterating high-level maps with an Atziri's Disfavour but the chance of me scraping together 10+ ex this league is not very high, heh. Maybe I'll have to spec into the Oro's version instead, though it'll cost a fair few Regrets, I think.

edit:

quote:

It's fine, you just can't sustain charges against most bosses so unless you're rolling mirrored gear on standard you will need a secondary skill to deal with boss fights.
Yeah, the guide recommends Frenzy since it'll build your charges back up and you can keep on Flickering, but I might just use double strike with the usual support gems and see how that goes.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
fwiw I played a flicker build using RT in perandus and did pretty well just by buying a decent rare axe with good pDPS. Blasphemy poacher's mark, blood dance, and blood rage was good enough to become a perpetual flicker machine. Frenzy vs. single target to regain charges, and also swapped into the flicker strike links against Atziri.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I'm running a Slayer oroflicker this league and it's pretty amazing, a pretty big upgrade from my Chieftan oroflicker from Talisman. I did 2h sunder until I got to 67 and switched to oro, a 4L 750edps one for 5c. Got the fireborn jewel at 71 for 15c and that's the build requirements. My goal this week is a 760edps 5L so I can put Fortify on flicker instead of leap slam.

I swap out dual strike for the rare situations that I can't sustain flicker strike, like 60% status avoidance maps with enfeeble for the boss fight. I haven't tried it yet, but dual strike should do Atziri just fine.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
I got a Blood Dance with a leech enchant on it for 5c last night, which was super nice. Now I just need a Devoto's, a Kaom's, and a couple 6L Quill Rains.

Kill me. :smithicide:

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

theshim posted:

I got a Blood Dance with a leech enchant on it for 5c last night, which was super nice. Now I just need a Devoto's, a Kaom's, and a couple 6L Quill Rains.

Kill me. :smithicide:

we can go halfsies and play in shifts

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

dyzzy posted:

fwiw I played a flicker build using RT in perandus and did pretty well just by buying a decent rare axe with good pDPS. Blasphemy poacher's mark, blood dance, and blood rage was good enough to become a perpetual flicker machine. Frenzy vs. single target to regain charges, and also swapped into the flicker strike links against Atziri.
Thanks, that's good to know. What would you say counts as "decent", out of interest? 475 pdps or so?

ImsaKidd
Jul 20, 2008
Had 0c to start yesterday (and not much other currency to speak of), and proceeded to find:

Belly
Marohi
(some other 25c item I forget atm)
Monstrous Treasure
2x Vaults of Atziri Prophecy

Then I decide to do a few prophs before logging, and a Heretic's Veil dropped...

Nice to get a day like that in the early parts of a league!

theshim
May 1, 2012

Hm...

Out of curiosity, if I'm using Dyadian Dawn, which has "deal no physical damage", would Herald of Ash or Hatred do anything?

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.

theshim posted:

Hm...

Out of curiosity, if I'm using Dyadian Dawn, which has "deal no physical damage", would Herald of Ash or Hatred do anything?

yes - you gain the full fire/cold damage based off your physical, which you can then convert (to fire/cold/light/chaos) if you like. any unconverted phys still "exists" but is not dealt to enemies - you cannot leech from it. it will still count as a Hit, even if you deal no other damage types. any converted damage still inherits its Physical tag even if it does no Physical damage, so if you have 100% phys -> ele conversion and you have 100% increased physical damage, the increase will apply to the converted damage and you will deal all of it (as ele damage) to enemies.

theshim
May 1, 2012

drat it. I thought as much. In general, this is the best case, but I was hoping it would allow a cheesy loophole to let me use EE as Chieftain.

Ah well.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
you always use EE with RF totem or Searing Bond Chieftain. there's no reason not to. attach your Curse on Hits to your GMP Ice Spear, so you can get your elemental overload in.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh

Zephro posted:

Thanks, that's good to know. What would you say counts as "decent", out of interest? 475 pdps or so?

It's been a while but yeah that should be good.

theshim
May 1, 2012

ronya posted:

you always use EE with RF totem or Searing Bond Chieftain. there's no reason not to. attach your Curse on Hits to your GMP Ice Spear, so you can get your elemental overload in.
I'm doing EA Chieftain. The extra phys damage as fire on kill means all the actual hits of explosive arrow will apply EE before the explosions, making it counterproductive.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
So people who've played Elementalist: is Shaper -> Beacon still worth it with the change to Conflux? Planning on going crit-based Storm Call, if that matters any.

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

We shall pay him a visit. There will be a picnic. Tea shall be served.
I'm running into a bit of wall with low-life SWT Hierophant, where I'm level 72 and supposed to switch over to low-life, but I feel like I don't have quite enough ES to really commit (and anyways I don't have Shav's). So I'm technically "able" to run some low-level maps, but it's kinda slow going and I almost die pretty often. Are there better ways to make this work? Is there a cheap item I can buy to get a whole chunk of ES at once? Should I just bite the bullet and commit whole hog?

Alternately, should I just re-roll Blade Vortex already?

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

dis astranagant posted:

Because it has to open up the ~6 GB GGPK archive, apply the patch and then repack the archive. Run the game from an SSD if at all possible.

only the steam version does this btw. the standalone client just patched in about 3 seconds for me.

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

We shall pay him a visit. There will be a picnic. Tea shall be served.

Ultima66 posted:

FYI, interesting builds from the top of the HC ladder:

1. Steelmage: CI Elemental Kinetic Blast Miner Saboteur. Best part is if you look up Kinetic Blast Mines on Google the first result is a build that says "NOT VIABLE IN 2.4 BUILD IS NOW TOTAL GARBAGE NO MORE SINGLE TARGET WITHOUT FROST WALL." Steel uses Fire Nova Mines in a 4L for extra single target damage.
2. RaizQT: CI Bow Summon Raging Spirits Necromancer. Yes, it's using a 6L bow with Essenced +2 fire gems and a Soul Strike. Also using a Minion Movespeed ring.
3 died, was a pure support Champion with all the Fortify stuff for survivability, tricurse Curse on Hit Ice Shot with Ele Equilibrium, and lots of curse + aura buffs. Typical Aura Bot.
4. Daleroy: standard Icestorm Elementalist.
5. AngryWeasel: CI Poison BV Occultist. Abuses Soul Strike's fast ES regen start with Occultist's continuous regen after taking damage. Bow uses the 1000 chaos DoT Essence craft with a bunch of other garbage affixes. Presumably an ideal weapon would be +1 all gems, but bow is only used as a vector for Soul Strike's crazy synergy with Occultist. You could use a 1000 DoT wand or dagger with a shield if you really wanted to.

It looks like essence crafting has kind of made Bows the best caster weapons. Also made everyone go CI/LL, both with the ability to use Soul Strike as a caster and the ability to craft ES gear easier.
dang that BV build looks fun. Any idea on how well it'd do with little/no currency?

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
Getting back into this game. Went into the Dread Thicket and was accosted by "Plummeting Ursa"

God dammit

climboutonalimb
Sep 4, 2004

I get knocked down but I get up again You are never going to keep me down

Jinnigan posted:

I'm running into a bit of wall with low-life SWT Hierophant, where I'm level 72 and supposed to switch over to low-life, but I feel like I don't have quite enough ES to really commit (and anyways I don't have Shav's). So I'm technically "able" to run some low-level maps, but it's kinda slow going and I almost die pretty often. Are there better ways to make this work? Is there a cheap item I can buy to get a whole chunk of ES at once? Should I just bite the bullet and commit whole hog?

Alternately, should I just re-roll Blade Vortex already?

I've been chugging along fine with this on HC. What is your ES at now? Profile link?
Mine is RooNoPants at https://www.pathofexile.com/account/view-profile/roo

I switched once I could wear Prism Guardian and Steppan Erd boots - 68? I had ~220 ES helm and 170 ES gloves and ended up around 5k ES and farmed Dried lake almost exclusively.

After crafting my helm with a T5 Essence of Woe and getting a few more ES nodes, I hit 6.3k ES which made me feel comfortable in low tier maps; I've tried up to T5 maps at this point. I'm back down to almost exactly 6k ES as I took a bit of a hit with my newly crafted gloves (I'm using Essence of Horror to effectively replace increased critical strikes gem)

E: 6k ES is absolutely not enough for serious mapping and I'm actively planning my next build for when I inevitably die. :)

climboutonalimb fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Sep 7, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shinino Kage
Sep 5, 2008
So I'm starting to prepare for the move to CI/ES in about 10 levels or so, but I've never played CI before.

Other than ES/Resist gear, what am I really gonna need? Shavs, I take it?

• Locked thread