Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

4k is for dummies w too much disposable income

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tensai
May 8, 2007

Just trying to keep my boyfriend away from that redheaded harlot.
Most important question now is when is the fire sale on the current models.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Sony is future proofing itself because nobody will support 4k blu rays much longer

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."

CottonWolf posted:

It looked utterly uninspired.

Collector/reaper base level with a texture pack

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

a cop posted:

4k is for dummies w too much disposable income

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
https://twitter.com/StuffTV/status/773609999381790720

lol

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

The new Sony McDouble with Cheese is actually bigger than the launch model PS4s.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Happy_Misanthrope posted:

Collector/reaper base level with a texture pack

no. it looks like a layout from inquisition with some mass effect poo poo thrown on it.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

deadwing posted:

400 dollars made me kind of interested until I remembered my ps4 is basically a Destiny box and no way is Bungie doing a Pro patch for Destiny

they can barely add content to the game, let alone boost the res

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."

not that I care but yes, lol

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

a cop posted:

Why would anyone be excited for the new mass effect after the last one?

It wasn't just the ending, the entire game was a pretty bullshit conclusion to the trilogy. 2 was better in every way (except for multiplayer I suppose)

What are you talking about? The gameplay in ME3 was the best in the series, that's why the horde mode multiplayer worked so well. Yeah, some of the story payoffs were disappointing, but overall I thought ME3 was really good. A bad ending does not retroactively make a game bad.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I am excited to spend a combined $1500 on marginally better graphics

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Seriously it writes itself.

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

well 1TB is the standard HD so that's something at least, but drat was not expecting it to be that big

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

CRAYON posted:

Is there another source other than Stuff.tv?

http://twitter.com/StuffTV/status/773609999381790720

abort launch

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Also when do we get "They Named The Fifth Playstation The Playstation 4 Pro"

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
So are PS4 games and downloads going to balloon in size with 4K textures that regular PS4 owners won't be able to use

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
I'm really glad my desire to play all but three or four video games has evaporated as I've aged because :lol:

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

CharlestonJew posted:

So are PS4 games and downloads going to balloon in size with 4K textures that regular PS4 owners won't be able to use

Cant wait to download them via the PS4s amazing WIFI :smithicide:

im gay
Jul 20, 2013

by Lowtax
Neo comes with 4K Blue-ray == Gamers bitch and cry that the price is too high.

Neo doesn't come with 4K Blue-ray == Gamers bitch and cry that it doesn't come with it.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
Okay wait, I may be changing my mind on this. The BBC is producing Planet Earth 2 in 4K HDR. But probably won't be finished until 2019 or later. So maybe I'll just wait for PS5.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

SaltLick posted:

lol

thanks Ron
Eh I'm at work and haven't watched the presser, but I guess this is what happens when you cross Liara with Pris? Also is the ME trailer up anywhere?

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

im gay posted:

Neo comes with 4K Blue-ray == Gamers bitch and cry that the price is too high.

Neo doesn't come with 4K Blue-ray == Gamers bitch and cry that it doesn't come with it.

XB1 is $100 cheaper and has it

toxicsunset
Sep 19, 2005

BUY MORE CRABS
who is the ps4 pro for

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

so basicaly if you dont have a $1000 dollar 4k magic TV, its pointless, and even then it just makes stuff look a tiny bit better.

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

Did they mention if the new HD was SSD or normal?

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

toxicsunset posted:

who is the ps4 pro for
Pros

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
All I want to know is if the new PS4 or PS4 Pro are still going to sound like a jet engine taking off in my living room.

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

CharlestonJew posted:

the installed memory hasn't changed, so not likely - I think 512mb extra is available to the Pro in the OS now, but you won't necessarily get massively better textures with just that little bit of extra ram. Some games will likely have some texture improvements, but they're limited with the same 8GB - expect things like higher res, better shadows, maybe more foilage etc

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

o.m. 94 posted:

they called it a HDD in the video 😳

Zenzizenzizenzic
May 25, 2012

Fun Shoe

toxicsunset posted:

who is the ps4 pro for

Me, to poop on.

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

o.m. 94 posted:

it's $399, it's a regular HDD of course

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Ok, I was out with my kid... short version: Go.

I was excited about Neo if it brought some polish and performance to my non 4k gaming life.

Should I still be interested?

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

toxicsunset posted:

who is the ps4 pro for

Me, the person who wants to buy an xbone to play with friends and is excited to see Microsoft's panic bundles because the new playstation is just 400 bucks

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Feenix posted:

I was excited about Neo if it brought some polish and performance to my non 4k gaming life.

Nope. it doesnt add dick.

if you have a 4k and 400 bucks, go ahead. but if not its not worth it.

toxicsunset
Sep 19, 2005

BUY MORE CRABS

Feenix posted:

unless you have a 4k HDR tv it will do nothing for you and even im not sure

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Feenix posted:

"Supported" titles might get a framerate bump but don't quote me on that

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

HDD and standard blueray are very good imo because gently caress paying for those in my nice cheap pro console.

hrd for all ps4s is the right thing to do.

sony killed it for this gamer. good messaging on keeping everything unified. good messaging on pro giving benefits in graphics to hd tvs and 4k tvs.

good stuff

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

Happy_Misanthrope posted:

the installed memory hasn't changed, so not likely - I think 512mb extra is available to the Pro in the OS now, but you won't necessarily get massively better textures with just that little bit of extra ram. Some games will likely have some texture improvements, but they're limited with the same 8GB - expect things like higher res, better shadows, maybe more foilage etc

And presumably the whole idea is that new games (or games patched later if we're lucky) will perform to the limits of the Pro, and then if the game detects a Slim/Release version of the console it'll reduce graphical settings?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Feenix posted:

No. It will run things slightly better but even the footage they showed at the conference didn't run consistent so it's not even going to do that. Making games work to take advantage of the Pro seems optional and most companies just aren't gonna loving bother. I think the only reasons to get it are if you have a 4k TV or maybe if you're getting VR (though they really didn't go into any detail regarding VR).

• Locked thread