Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

TheresaJayne posted:

Any idea what i am doing wrong?

These are some Quickplays https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Msc-zvpTz8

You're not good enough to play anyone who requires aim. Play someone who does not require aim.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rufio
Feb 6, 2003

I'm smart! Not like everybody says... like dumb... I'm smart and I want respect!
Counterpoint : practice aiming and keep having fun

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:
Mei is bae. Nerf Lucio.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
can we filter bae to bad?

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
The amount of times I find a mercy out of position who doesn't seem to realize they have a pistol is amazing

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
yesterday i mercy pistoled and killed a reinhardt after he hammerd down and was in the middle of charging someone to death. proper triage doesn't always include the heal beam

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Kashuno posted:

The amount of times I find a mercy out of position who doesn't seem to realize they have a pistol is amazing
It's kind of sad how few Mercys even attempt to fight back in this situation. And that pistol isn't terrible for fighting up close if you aim for the head.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:
Mercy pistol kills bring me great joy.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Willie Tomg posted:

This Overwatch game is pretty okay, sometimes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Iz-6EYwt1Y

Dumb Rein could've really easily just waited for your ult to end and then killed you with 3 hammer swings. But as a Zen main I support this video.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Ersatz posted:

It's kind of sad how few Mercys even attempt to fight back in this situation. And that pistol isn't terrible for fighting up close if you aim for the head.

The best is to just take out mercy's pistol when someone thinks they caught you and watch them freak out when a mercy starts fighting back

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Kashuno posted:

The best is to just take out mercy's pistol when someone thinks they caught you and watch them freak out when a mercy starts fighting back
Yep.

I get similar reactions aggressively bouncing around and gunning people down as zero suit D.Va.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Why hasn't Mercy asked D.Va or Tracer if she can borrow one of their pistols

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Last night I shot a soldier from range with a mei m2 and he seemed so stunned he just stopped moving for a few seconds

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

Help Im Alive posted:

Why hasn't Mercy asked D.Va or Tracer if she can borrow one of their pistols

Mercy's pistol actually has better DPS then D.Va pistol. :eng101:

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo

Kashuno posted:

Last night I shot a soldier from range with a mei m2 and he seemed so stunned he just stopped moving for a few seconds

u sure he wasn't stopped before you shot him?

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I'll usually start a comp match with, "Hey everyone. I'm Lucio and I'm going to call out speed boosts and if I see any flankers. Let's try and push left once we get in."

And then If we have a nice hold, I'll say, "Nice hold."

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

TheresaJayne posted:

You're playing the wrong character. You don't want to be Genji. You want to be Hanzo.

You know who else can climb walls and jump around and snipe real well?

Hanzo.

Genji is a close in murder machine who needs to be all up in people's butts.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Zikan posted:

Oh that's neat, I didn't know that. D.Va's always felt stronger to me

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Zikan posted:

A 7 DPS difference is really not that much, and D.Va's projectiles travel faster

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

They actually have the same projectile speed, the smaller model of D.Va's bullets just make it look like they are going faster

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

TheresaJayne posted:

you called your team bad and let you literally accomplished nothing

Watching that first round on anubis defense, here's some criticism.

You were way too far forward and just kind of arsing around on the wrong side of the choke
You stand still way, way too much. Never not be moving.
You stood around vaguely plinking a distant target when you saw Reaper teleport away. Look for him! He could easily have been behind you but you didn't even bother to check.
You have very bad target prioritization. You were chasing down a Reaper when Mercy was RIGHT next to you.
You were running towards the enemy spawn while they were already capping.
Outnumbered? Retreat. Don't smash your face in when they have vastly superior numbers.

Second round

Again with the standing still all the time
Don't tunnel vision. I know she was flying through the air doing it but a Mei was on your screen and you didn't even turn to look, you just stood there firing at nothing at all.
That Mei had her back to you, there was no reason to reflect. Don't do it out of panic when you aren't even in the enemy's FoV.
Don't run in a straight line towards your enemy, you were literally running into Widowmaker's bullets
holy poo poo STOP STANDING STILL you just plain got lucky that she panic fired and missed
reflect the bastion
reflect the bastion
reflect the loving bastions, you kept reflecting seemingly at random before why did you suddenly stop reflecting anything ever
oh you're reflecting again at an enemy that probably forgot you were even there
This whole match you've just been plinking from in front of enemies. Get behind them, Genji is good at it for a reason.
Don't sit on your ult for all eternity, especially not in an uncoordinated QP match. poo poo or get off the pot.
There was a Mei behind you. I could hear her freezing people, icicles were whizzing past your head and yet for some reason you were focused on that enemy way in the distance. Don't tunnel vision!
ok so i don't think i've ever seen you use your alt-fire. Use it when you're up close, especially against large targets.
Use your dash to get out of Mei's ult
You're moving in a straight line again, also you were low on health don't just charge in like that
Reflect won't stop Mei's ice beam
you walked straight into that ult
stop standing still!
You literally never used your ult, not even right at the end.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
homie actually has almost-perfect timing for reflecting when he should dash, turn around, and alt-fire finish dash-reset. it's uncanny.

the reflects on the one bastion ult were cool, though.

Sancho
Jul 18, 2003

TheresaJayne posted:

Use the sword dash a lot more. Use it for mobility and as a finisher. You let a few kills go cause you didnt dash. Use your ult more. Use fan fire more if u can't aim well - it's quicker RoF. Use reflect more wisely (you still need to aim with reflect).

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

Slime posted:

you called your team bad and let you literally accomplished nothing

Watching that first round on anubis defense, here's some criticism.

You were way too far forward and just kind of arsing around on the wrong side of the choke
You stand still way, way too much. Never not be moving.
You stood around vaguely plinking a distant target when you saw Reaper teleport away. Look for him! He could easily have been behind you but you didn't even bother to check.
You have very bad target prioritization. You were chasing down a Reaper when Mercy was RIGHT next to you.
You were running towards the enemy spawn while they were already capping.
Outnumbered? Retreat. Don't smash your face in when they have vastly superior numbers.

Second round

Again with the standing still all the time
Don't tunnel vision. I know she was flying through the air doing it but a Mei was on your screen and you didn't even turn to look, you just stood there firing at nothing at all.
That Mei had her back to you, there was no reason to reflect. Don't do it out of panic when you aren't even in the enemy's FoV.
Don't run in a straight line towards your enemy, you were literally running into Widowmaker's bullets
holy poo poo STOP STANDING STILL you just plain got lucky that she panic fired and missed
reflect the bastion
reflect the bastion
reflect the loving bastions, you kept reflecting seemingly at random before why did you suddenly stop reflecting anything ever
oh you're reflecting again at an enemy that probably forgot you were even there
This whole match you've just been plinking from in front of enemies. Get behind them, Genji is good at it for a reason.
Don't sit on your ult for all eternity, especially not in an uncoordinated QP match. poo poo or get off the pot.
There was a Mei behind you. I could hear her freezing people, icicles were whizzing past your head and yet for some reason you were focused on that enemy way in the distance. Don't tunnel vision!
ok so i don't think i've ever seen you use your alt-fire. Use it when you're up close, especially against large targets.
Use your dash to get out of Mei's ult
You're moving in a straight line again, also you were low on health don't just charge in like that
Reflect won't stop Mei's ice beam
you walked straight into that ult
stop standing still!
You literally never used your ult, not even right at the end.

I find when i move a lot i get stuck on the walls and lumps, i did accidentally hit deflect when i meant to hit dash, but I am still learning and practicing. what's a girl to do

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
If you find yourself accidentally hitting one button for another, one thing to try is rebinding the keys for that character. For some reason I find I always screw up Ana's sleep dart and biotic grenade when using their default bindings, so I swapped them around and it feels much more natural to me.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

TheresaJayne posted:

I find when i move a lot i get stuck on the walls and lumps, i did accidentally hit deflect when i meant to hit dash, but I am still learning and practicing. what's a girl to do

play a character other than genji, for starters. i'm not ripping on you, genji is by far the most gamesense and mechanically demanding character in the game and you gotta work a lot on those two things before you try on Hard Mode. The reason S76 and McCree are so popular in the meta right now is partially because they're really good combinations with Zenyatta's Discord, but also because those are two fillers for the DPS slot who are very, very difficult to gently caress up.

Like; the two things Genji got hurt with in this patch are his triple jump and his ult getting reduced by 25%, and you aren't even feeling those losses because you never use either. This is Clue #1A that you are not using Genji in his fullness. That you died to Bastion at all ever for any reason and then asked what you were doing wrong is clue #2.

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

TheresaJayne posted:

Genji hard. Maybe try establishing game/map sense with characters not as reliant on mechanical skills, and practice Genji too, like every 5th game. But I find he (and tracer and mccree) are not awesome to practice basics with, S:76 is a good but forgiving hitscan killer. Or I ganji. That works too.

E; actually it's not really at I ganji levels. Just practice with a easier hero for a while, your future improved Genji will thank you.

squirrelzipper fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Sep 8, 2016

Sancho
Jul 18, 2003

TheresaJayne posted:

i moved dash for this reason. Way better now!

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Wonder if I could post video of me being Bad At D.Va and not really knowing why and get the same degree of response :v:

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
McCree is pretty nuanced but the basics are "hang back and click on heads". Tracer is really REALLY nuanced but her basics are "never stop moving, dash between reloads, magdump on heads, E when you're in trouble, switch characters to facilitate a dive comp when you coerce the enemy team into a deathball or otherwise win the game"

Genji is uniquely unforgiving in that you have no excuse not to be picking winning fights in tactically significant locations using his kit synergy fully. You have a primary fire that hits for 72, 144 with headshots. You have an alt fire that hits biggies for 72 twice a second. You have a dash that does 50 and resets on an elim and a 2 second reflect of all projectiles to your aimpoint. your ult melee 2shots most people granted the dash-reset. you can see the enemy comp and who's alive when you hit Tab. figure it the heck out.

Play other characters like Ana and Zen and Winston and Zarya and Soldier and hell, even some others, and figure out the kind of DPS play you wanna see in the world; then you'll have done the groundwork for Real Ganji.

Ciaphas posted:

Wonder if I could post video of me being Bad At D.Va and not really knowing why and get the same degree of response :v:

no because in a very real sense this is our chance to speak to the slampick genji who backlines on defense then blames the team for the throw. DO NOT RUIN THIS FOR US.

Willie Tomg fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Sep 8, 2016

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Ciaphas posted:

Do it, I like D.Va so I can probably offer at least some insight.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

TheresaJayne posted:

The problem is that you're using his mobility exactly wrong. For example, on that Anubis Defense round at the second point, you climbed up to the top of the arch over the chokepoint and plinked the enemy team ineffectually with badly aimed shurikens while they all ran right under you, wiped the rest of your team, and proceeded to push onto the point while you just stood there mildly annoying them until their Pharah decided to go crush you.

The problem with standing back and harassing people at range is that most characters have damage falloff, which means that their attacks do less damage the farther they are from the enemy. Even if your aim was better, you wouldn't do much damage plinking away from a distance like that. Genji in particular is built to get right up in people's faces.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Don't worry I'd have to figure out how to make Shadowplay stop repeatedly making GBS threads itself to record anything and I'm at work for another hour anyway :v:

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
I guess I'll crosspost threads to say Please Use OBS Studio which will poo poo itself for Reasons as opposed to Shadowplay which will poo poo itself because... v:)v

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
As a non-aimer who still plays Genji sometimes I wanna really stress the point people have made about the fan being a better choice once you're close. If Hanjo is shooting tree trunks you're throwing pizza pans and the closer you are the more likely they hit someone.

But being close doesn't mean going one on four, which, is the part I sometimes have problems with. I tell myself to gank the healer and other soft targets and leave but almost always end up fighting everyone and dead. But even this can be kind of an advantage since usually everyone reacts to Genji and you can pull people away from an entrenchment just enough to make way for your team's push.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Duck and Cover posted:

At low levels people will ignore you. At higher levels people can't be assed because an increase of 1% to their winrate isn't important enough and they generally know enough to group up/push/flank without constant chatter. At the highest levels communication makes the difference because skill plateaus .

lol if you think either of those things are true

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

communication is always a key component of actually winning and is why going up against 6 stacks is a lot harder than random groups at any level, including the bottom

like they'll be bad at hitting you but you won't be any better. the difference is coordination. communication wins you games at all levels. if you don't wanna talk, don't; it's just a game. but you're wrong if you think it isn't a big help to communicate and work together

Doodarazumas
Oct 7, 2007

TheresaJayne posted:

You stand there with your ult ready while you shoot shurikens into an icewall and literally watch 1 person cap 2/3 of the final point as a pharah walks directly up to your face and finally puts you out of your misery. You do 688 damage the whole match, most of it from just chucking random shurikens at the spawn as the match started (which just built up mercy's ult), and then have the audacity to call your team useless?

This has to just be a honeypot post so you can see people vent about the people who open-palm slam genji at the start of the match.

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Sometimes you reach a stalemate. Sometimes you get magic horses.
Steps to improving your game if you have bad aim: Main Winston and Reinhardt and get really good at positioning.

Also yeah, it's just really lovely to call your team useless, especially with a performance like that. You call them idiots that never communicate, but I never saw your push to talk icon flash up to indicate that you were talking either.

Your peers in a match making environment are a direct reflection of you, and you should really do some introspection to your own gameplay before you start criticizing others for theirs. What would you have fixed in that situation to make it better if you could make them play other characters? Where would you have positioned them? What targets would you have focused if you had control like that over the other players?

If you don't have answers to questions like that and you're not able to give them constructive criticism, even if it's harshly worded, then don't start insulting the members of your team. Don't be the rear end in a top hat that calls your team useless when you don't even have anything close to a high ground to stand on in the situation.

Commoners fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Sep 8, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I can't seem to get winston. Any other tank cool I got it down but every time I play Winston I feel like a joke