Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

piL posted:

For all the (much of it deserved) making GBS threads on the LCS program, I've learned more about being a professional mariner and driving ships in 2 weeks of LCS OOD school than all of ADOC and BDOC. At least these SWOs will go out into the fleet and take some of that knowledge with them.

Yeah. I was in the third or fourth convening of that class almost 10 years ago and it is still the best Navy school I've been to. I thought I was a good ship handler before it, but I quickly realized I didn't know poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Sounds like the issue is lovely training in other communities rather than the LCS being good.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender
Well yeah, obviously.

DinosaurWarfare
Apr 27, 2010

Jimmy4400nav posted:

Definitely, while aviation is my first choice, I heard about a lot of people getting DQ'd at OCS and NAMI. I don't think I have anything that'd medically DQ me, but I understand between that and needs of the Navy I could end up somewhere else or just booted.

I did this. This was me. OCS NPQ and became a SWO 2 years ago.

I can't tell you if this was the right choice, but I can tell you I have a resignation letter prepped for the day I'm eligible to submit it. This isn't everyone's experience from it, some people find it pretty tolerable albeit an uncomfortable lifestyle. There are so many variables that could shape your experience that it would be difficult to explain what your life as a SWO would actually be like. I can tell you that on my ship, the vast majority are still getting out of the Navy as soon as possible.

Also side note that OCS is sweet in that you get dat dere sweet GI Bill that your mostly academy and ROTC wardroom will not get to use when they get out. Godspeed.

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

DinosaurWarfare posted:

I can't tell you if this was the right choice, but I can tell you I have a resignation letter prepped for the day I'm eligible to submit it. This isn't everyone's experience from it, some people find it pretty tolerable albeit an uncomfortable lifestyle. There are so many variables that could shape your experience that it would be difficult to explain what your life as a SWO would actually be like. I can tell you that on my ship, the vast majority are still getting out of the Navy as soon as possible.

Also side note that OCS is sweet in that you get dat dere sweet GI Bill that your mostly academy and ROTC wardroom will not get to use when they get out. Godspeed.

Definitely, from what I understand SWO can mean a posting on a huge number of platforms with a broad array of duties, I'm not sure how we'll I'd do in ship life, but I'm always open to it if that's where the chips fall. Which kind of ship were you on?

I did MEPS the other day and didn't do well on the depth perception, just couldn't differentiate the circles even when I was pulling 20/15 vision :( Fortunately, it looks like NFO doesn't require that so I'm keeping my fingers crossed on that.

And yes the GI Bill is pretty tempting since if I can swing it, I'd love to get a masters and teach later in life. Hoping to get the last bit of my application squared away soon to make the upcoming board!

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Jimmy4400nav posted:

Definitely, from what I understand SWO can mean a posting on a huge number of platforms with a broad array of duties, I'm not sure how we'll I'd do in ship life, but I'm always open to it if that's where the chips fall. Which kind of ship were you on?

I did MEPS the other day and didn't do well on the depth perception, just couldn't differentiate the circles even when I was pulling 20/15 vision :( Fortunately, it looks like NFO doesn't require that so I'm keeping my fingers crossed on that.

And yes the GI Bill is pretty tempting since if I can swing it, I'd love to get a masters and teach later in life. Hoping to get the last bit of my application squared away soon to make the upcoming board!

The trick for the depth perception is to twitch your eyes left and right and look for the one that doesn't move as much. Took me a minute to figure out how to game it.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I completely failed my hearing test after only standing next to launching aircraft for a year.

Or it was the F35s. Those things are p sweet.

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

His smile; it shines in the darkest of depths. There is hope yet.

DinosaurWarfare posted:

Dropped my letter in June. ::feelsgoodman::

Now that I've mentally disengaged I see how ridiculously dumb and childish this organization is. We treat each other like poo poo and treat subordinates like children and then wonder why people are unhappy.

The superiors are living meeting to meeting having no idea of what actually goes on.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

Howard Phillips posted:

Dropped my letter in June. ::feelsgoodman::

Now that I've mentally disengaged I see how ridiculously dumb and childish this organization is. We treat each other like poo poo and treat subordinates like children and then wonder why people are unhappy.

The superiors are living meeting to meeting having no idea of what actually goes on.

Welcome back to the world.

I'm sure the constant meetings are just a way for everyone to avoid the crippling depression of actually facing problems or doing something about them.

My favorite new thing is the "Every sailor every day" movie they show at weekly suicide prevention training.

Because if your employees want to off themselves due to how lovely and intrusive your organization is, the answer is to be more intrusive.

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

Anita Dickinme posted:

I completely failed my hearing test after only standing next to launching aircraft for a year.

Or it was the F35s. Those things are p sweet.

Your hearing people actually do the test where they can track you? Where I was at he just told us to go into the booth and we'd sit wherever, he wouldn't even check where everyone was.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Pandasmores posted:

Your hearing people actually do the test where they can track you? Where I was at he just told us to go into the booth and we'd sit wherever, he wouldn't even check where everyone was.

Yeah, it's just a one person booth. Dood even knocked on the glass a couple times and gave me a "wtf" look, so I just started mashing the button.

Since I actually use proper hearing protection do I actually have a chance of getting money?

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

Tokyo Sexwhale posted:

The trick for the depth perception is to twitch your eyes left and right and look for the one that doesn't move as much. Took me a minute to figure out how to game it.

Good to know for the future!

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Flight to Ramstein check in going slowly. Air Force peeps left bar to go to the gate on time, Sailors said at the bar and waited. Whom do you think made the correct call? We did, still drinkin'.

Anyone here in Afghanistan?

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe

Nick Soapdish posted:

Flight to Ramstein check in going slowly. Air Force peeps left bar to go to the gate on time, Sailors said at the bar and waited. Whom do you think made the correct call? We did, still drinkin'.

Anyone here in Afghanistan?

I was, word of advice, plan on be reassigned when you hit country. When we landed, everyone got farmed out from the jobs on our orders because the Marines came in and took that job. I ended up pulling an O3/O4 billet with weapons drop authority as an E5. Damned good eval.

My ship never submitted it. I have a 3.0 interim non-ob for that time period. :negative:

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Anita Dickinme posted:

Yeah, it's just a one person booth. Dood even knocked on the glass a couple times and gave me a "wtf" look, so I just started mashing the button.

Yeah, this happened to me a couple of times. Awesomely enough, my records only include ONE actual audiogram (the initial); my annual screenings afterwards all just say something like "no degradation noted" which I know is bullshit because I failed it once and the guy let me redo it, and I had at least one more time where they asked me if I were hearing anything.

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia
Whelp, recruiter just called and said my blood pressure was too high at MEPS so now I gotta go do the three day range of tests to show that I don't have hypertension. I thought I'd be good at 133/90, but it looks like that 90 put me a tad over.

Time to start cutting out the salt and caffeine.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Jimmy4400nav posted:

Whelp, recruiter just called and said my blood pressure was too high at MEPS so now I gotta go do the three day range of tests to show that I don't have hypertension. I thought I'd be good at 133/90, but it looks like that 90 put me a tad over.

Also lose some weight, fatty.

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

Mr. Nice! posted:

Also lose some weight, fatty.

I've already lost the 70 lbs (used to be 260, I'm 190 now, 6'4 male). So I think I'm good there, I just get really uncomfortable in doctors offices...

On the other-hand more PT is always good right?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Jimmy4400nav posted:

I've already lost the 70 lbs (used to be 260, I'm 190 now, 6'4 male). So I think I'm good there, I just get really uncomfortable in doctors offices...

On the other-hand more PT is always good right?

Good job!

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Great job on the weight loss alone. Be careful though if you are older because navy boot camp is a joke for pt and it's easy to pack back on weight. I fell apart and had to severely watch my diet because I wasn't able to exercise like I was going in.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002
I walked in to my PHA all jacked up on coffee and having just finished an excruciating 3 hour test. Think I dialed in at 140/93.

They said to sit and relax for a second. I thought of amazing things like being asleep or being out of the Navy .

120/76

EditL its all in your head. Unless its physical. Then it isn't.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Jimmy4400nav posted:

They are doing you a favor by telling you no.

Dong Quixote
Oct 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Jimmy4400nav posted:

So I think I'm good there, I just get really uncomfortable in doctors offices...

"White coat hypertension" is a real thing. Your BP might be fine normally and raised when you're getting checked at MEPS. So skipping the caffeine might help you, but this:

Laranzu posted:

I thought of amazing things like being asleep or being out of the Navy .

might help you even more. Especially if you just need to cut a point off the 90.

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

Laranzu posted:

I walked in to my PHA all jacked up on coffee and having just finished an excruciating 3 hour test. Think I dialed in at 140/93.

They said to sit and relax for a second. I thought of amazing things like being asleep or being out of the Navy .

120/76

EditL its all in your head. Unless its physical. Then it isn't.

ButtDoktor posted:

"White coat hypertension" is a real thing. Your BP might be fine normally and raised when you're getting checked at MEPS. So skipping the caffeine might help you, but this:
might help you even more. Especially if you just need to cut a point off the 90.

Thanks for the tips! I have a home blood pressure test and so far I've been clocking in around 125/80ish so yeah I think thinking calm thoughts and skipping the coffee and the pre-workout for a few days might do some good. My recruiter mentioned that I needed to be 130/80 or lower, but looking at a number of NAMI forms it just says I need to be lower than 140/90. I wan't sure which to go by.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

ButtDoktor posted:

My stepdad has this issue. His normal BP is pretty regular and not too high but any time he goes near a hospital or doctor it goes high enough for them to want to throw him into ICU. He has a home unit to test his BP regularly to keep his doctor sane.

Octopode
Sep 2, 2009

No. I work here. I manage operations for this and integration for this, while making sure that their stuff keeps working in here.
Every time my BP comes out too high at my PHA, they just tell me to hold my arm over my head while they take it again. Somehow, I don't think this is standard medical practice.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Octopode posted:

Every time my BP comes out too high at my PHA, they just tell me to hold my arm over my head while they take it again. Somehow, I don't think this is standard medical practice.

I'm surprised they just don't re-baseline it.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Qatar is very hot, why do people live here?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Nick Soapdish posted:

Qatar is very hot, why do people live here?

There are two type of people there. The rich wealthy oil men and slaves. I was originally going to say three with women being the third category, but they're basically slaves as well.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Mr. Nice! posted:

There are two type of people there. The rich wealthy oil men and slaves. I was originally going to say three with women being the third category, but they're basically slaves as well.

Honestly there's more laws protecting slaves who gently caress up even the smallest amount than there are for women who do the same, sooooooo

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Booblord Zagats posted:

Honestly there's more laws protecting slaves who gently caress up even the smallest amount than there are for women who do the same, sooooooo

Well, yeah, but that doesn't mean they actually enforce any of those laws. They also provide "civil servants" 50 weeks of maternity leave at 100% pay. I'm sure there are plenty of new moms in Qatar collecting that paycheck.

Mr. Nice! fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Sep 8, 2016

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Sometimes you reach a stalemate. Sometimes you get magic horses.

Mr. Nice! posted:

Well, yeah, but that doesn't mean they actually enforce any of those laws. They also provide "civil servants" 50 weeks of maternity leave at 100% pay. I'm sure there are plenty of new moms in Qatar collecting that paycheck.

So what you're saying is that Qatar is significantly more progressive than the US when it comes to maternity leave?

poopkitty
Oct 16, 2013

WE ARE ALL ONE

Commoners posted:

So what you're saying is that Qatar is significantly more progressive than the US when it comes to maternity leave?

Pretty much everyone is, tbh.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Commoners posted:

Everyone in the world except Papua New Guinea is, at least on paper.

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

Anita Dickinme posted:

Since I actually use proper hearing protection do I actually have a chance of getting money?

That's the kind of bullshit that they need to stop doing. At that point he just thinks that you're not hitting the button to get some form of disability later on. If he doesn't believe you have an inability to hear certain frequencies, he's effectively loving you over and making the test pointless by tapping on the glass. It's not a matter of if you use hearing protection, it's that the protection isn't 100% effective and can still lead to hearing loss although it should minimize the damage.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Wait, they actually built a DDG 1000?

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

SquirrelyPSU posted:

Yep.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

SquirrelyPSU posted:

What a time to be alive.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

SquirrelyPSU posted:

Even better, the captain's name is James Kirk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

AC/DC cover band playing, audience is 99.9℅ white. They are a good cover band.

• Locked thread