Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

ok theres been a lot of whining itt and elsewhere about the headphone jack removal

there are three categories of headphone users

1 - rubes
2 - "audiophiles" / ppl who like high-end audio
3 - people attached to their current wired earbuds

for group 1, wireless earbuds are preferable to wired earbuds for all sorts of reasons - formfactor, etc. these people already listen to compressed audio so the quality degradation from going wireless doesn't matter.

for group 2, where i sit - lightning headphones are a lot better and eliminating the headphone jack on the iphone to speed the conversion is real nice. getting inline/dac amps means no more awkwardly carrying a separate dac/amp taped to your phone. high-end headphones that are actually portable are now possible, look at the crazy poo poo audeze is already turning out. this type of device can't exist without the lightning jack.

for group 3, if you are really that attached to what you have just use the loving adapter, its not that hard and if you leave it on the headphone cable youll forget about it pretty quickly

source your quotes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

ok theres been a lot of whining itt and elsewhere about the headphone jack removal

1 - rubes

for group 1, wireless earbuds are preferable to wired earbuds for all sorts of reasons - formfactor, etc. these people already listen to compressed audio so the quality degradation from going wireless doesn't matter.

for group 2, where i sit - lightning headphones are a lot better and eliminating the headphone jack on the iphone to speed the conversion is real nice. getting inline/dac amps means no more awkwardly carrying a separate dac/amp taped to your phone. high-end headphones that are actually portable are now possible, look at the crazy poo poo audeze is already turning out. this type of device can't exist without the lightning jack.

for group 3, if you are really that attached to what you have just use the loving adapter, its not that hard and if you leave it on the headphone cable youll forget about it pretty quickly

hm

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
so is IYG melting down or wholeheartedly embracing this bullshit

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

1 - rubes

source your quotes

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

oh lol beaten

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
i thought "audiophile" and "rube" were synonymous

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

great so i can unplug from my phone and plug into my laptop for a meeting and forget the adapter at my desk and be unable to use my phone all night even when i have headphones sounds great..... not!!!

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
mmmm yes those are a lot of excuses for a new "feature"

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

lol there isnt any dongle on the store as far as i can see

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
"courage" is the most lol thing i have ever heard. room for a 2nd speaker but no room for the headphone jack everyone actually wants, lmbo

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

that's weird, the website says otherwise..

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

triple sulk posted:

lol there isnt any dongle on the store as far as i can see

there is, it's $9

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

Sniep posted:

but the phone comes with lightning EarPods, not airpods???

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

C.H.O.M.E posted:

great so i can unplug from my phone and plug into my laptop for a meeting and forget the adapter at my desk and be unable to use my phone all night even when i have headphones sounds great..... not!!!
how are you going to forget your adapter when its attached to your headphones. this is really straightforward

this is just like with the optical drive except ditching the headphone jack places less of a burden on users and has genuine benefits besides Thinness

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

Sniep posted:

those don't come with the phone, those are the $160 bluetooth ones. the phone comes with a pair of earbuds that only have a lightning plug, which no mac product has a female port for

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

how are you going to forget your adapter when its attached to your headphones. this is really straightforward

this is just like with the optical drive except ditching the headphone jack places less of a burden on users and has genuine benefits besides Thinness

uh when i plug the headphones into my laptop i'm not using the adapter

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

how do you not understand that i have to take it off the end to plug my headphones into my laptop? it's another thing to lose that adds zero value. it is not a feature.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
because my laptop, unlike the new iphone, has a headphone jack you see. i guess i just lack the "courage" to have a lightning port on my work computer.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
loving lol

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

C.H.O.M.E posted:

how do you not understand that i have to take it off the end to plug my headphones into my laptop? it's another thing to lose that adds zero value. it is not a feature.
idk stick it in your pocket and stop being 5

it adds zero value if you are both poor and a plebe as outlined above

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

idk stick it in your pocket and stop being 5

it adds zero value if you are both poor and a plebe as outlined above

are you really so eager to get a useless dongle what happened in your life that made you this way

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

i already use lightning headphones because they are superior

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

i already use lightning headphones because they are superior

k

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
"do i have to put an extra thing in my pocket for no reason other than to avoid losing it?" is a question someone concerned with actual good design would ask themselves

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

i already use lightning headphones because i am a rube

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
can't wait for a tear down that demonstrates there's room for a headphone jack anyway

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
oh poo poo y'all i just figured something out

in the presentation where they had up an old timey photo denigrating the headphone jack it was for a telephone switchboard

THE NEXT IPHONE WILL NOT BE ABLE TO MAKE PHONE CALLS

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast
o ok i thought the phone came with the new headphones

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Sniep posted:

o ok i thought the phone came with the new headphones

earpods are bad and the new ones with the fail plug will still be bad.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast
i dont have a goat in the fight i already have BT headphones but i didnt catch that the cool new hotness pods were addon

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

zen death robot posted:

please immediately throw out everything that you own that has a 3.5mm jack and replace it with poo poo that only has lightning connectors

that's like... one thing

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

Sniep posted:

i dont have a goat in the fight i already have BT headphones but i didnt catch that the cool new hotness pods were addon

how long does the battery last on them cause apple claims they're "industry leading" with five hours

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

bump_fn posted:

how long does the battery last on them cause apple claims they're "industry leading" with five hours

they're QC35's so kinda apples to oranges

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

look at this poo poo

these are planar magnetic earbuds. by definition you need plenty of power to drive a planar magnetic device. the only reason this combination works at all is because thanks to the lightning jack it has an inline dac/amp/dsp. it comes with an app w/ a 10-band EQ

bow down bitches

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

look at this poo poo

these are planar magnetic earbuds. by definition you need plenty of power to drive a planar magnetic device. the only reason this combination works at all is because thanks to the lightning jack it has an inline dac/amp/dsp. it comes with an app w/ a 10-band EQ

bow down bitches

cool headphones that drain my battery life even more

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Shaggar posted:

holy poo poo is this real?

someone tl;dr the apple thing for me cause I missed it.

nintendo threw a couple of jr developers to make a paid mario endless runner app
the watch now has a heartbeat.app because ???
apple watch will now let you track pokemon in pokemon go, meaning the $350 apple watch will now compete against a $35 bluetooth accessory
your $1250 watch can now squirt you. theres also now a $1250 version of the watch because ???
also no mention of battery life during watch discussion
they made google docs
they claimed the iphone 7 was a new design and they invented the color black
way too much time spent on camera bumps
jack dongles + earbuds lomarf
they said they got rid of the standard jack that everyone uses because of "courage". this is not a fake quote.
it ended with sia

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

Shaggar posted:

lol check out this fuckup. this pic of a dude using a tablet is on apples iphone page

lmfao what the gently caress

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
oh what

i thought "courage" was a joke itt

did they really say courage

hahahahahahahaha

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

look at this poo poo

bow down bitches

if you want these the headphone jack existing does not stop you from getting them, it just makes the phone better than one without a headphone jack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

i tuned in to the loving stream for five minutes and got to hear a bunch of loving Tech Bloggers whoop and holler when a man announced that the black phone would be called "black." what the gently caress

• Locked thread