Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

It's okay guys when the ps5 comes, we'll get bloodborne remastered with hdr, 4k and it'll still be 30fps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

greatest games ok

well when xbocks gets bloodborne, spidermans, horizon zero prawns, and whatever else, call me. I don't think there's a single good xbox exclusive at all

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Dehry posted:

There's going to be an Asia presentation if you found the anime content to be lacking.

https://asia.playstation.com/sieja-2016/
11AM HKT
11PM Eastern

I did indeed find the anime content to be lacking, thank you.

anothergod
Apr 11, 2016

davebo posted:

Are you saying you have a 4K HDR tv you'll just run regular ps4 on, or are there in fact 1080p hdtv's that support HDR?

I had no idea there are no HDR 1080p TVs. I wish they did. :-\

Liver Disaster
Mar 31, 2012

no more tears

Dewgy posted:

HDR actually is the better feature over 4k (wide color range is awesome) but it's completely dependent on your display. HDR video looks fantastic on a screen that supports it, and games probably would also look pretty drat good.

that was my personal transcript of what actually happened on the stream
im glad u enjoyed it

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Zenzizenzizenzic posted:

Me, to poop on.

strawberry av ftw!!!

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

MinibarMatchman posted:

well when xbocks gets bloodborne, spidermans, horizon zero prawns, and whatever else, call me. I don't think there's a single good xbox exclusive at all

lol two thirds of your list isn't even out yet and could be poo poo

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

anothergod posted:

I had no idea there are no HDR 1080p TVs. I wish they did. :-\

Yeah, it's kind of weird. I just want a 25-30 inch 1080p HDR TV, I can't fit anything bigger in my flat, but you just can't buy them.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

Quantum of Phallus posted:

4K streaming is rubbish. Compression is insane.

Can we get an option if we have the bandwidth to view a 1080p feed but with the bitrate they normally reserve for 4K? Then it'd actually come closer to replacing regular 1080p blu-rays.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

CottonWolf posted:

Yeah, it's kind of weird. I just want a 25-30 inch 1080p HDR TV, I can't fit anything bigger in my flat, but you just can't buy them.

Well if you've got external speakers you could probably get HDR-certified 1080p computer monitors that size.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
Thread is moving fast, so I want to see if I can get two questions answered.

A. Are there any hard specs for how much more powerful the Pro is?
B. Is there any reason to believe there will be a meaningful difference in playing new releases for this holiday on the Pro, or will the Pro's capabilities likely not be a factor for releases until next year?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

CRAYON posted:

lol two thirds of your list isn't even out yet and could be poo poo

better than the true poo poo of xbox that has a collection of n64 ports as its only desirable exclusive

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
I forgot the Xbone S had UHD BR support :lol: PS4Pro Mk.II?

Mel Mudkiper posted:

B. Is there any reason to believe there will be a meaningful difference in playing new releases for this holiday on the Pro, or will the Pro's capabilities likely not be a factor for releases until next year?

A: Nah, twice the GPU, boosted CPU, rougly
B: "Meaningful difference" = no, unless some dickhead dev makes another PS4-Original 30fps racer or 30fps non-animation priority action game relying on rapid response and input that ends up 60fps on the PRO

VR will be fine with the original PS4, it's in the demo stations. Rather Rigs than another choppy on a $1500 PC VR experience.

Ghosts n Gopniks fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Sep 7, 2016

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

I don't have a console this generation and had $400 saved up for the PS4K. No UHD-4k Blu Ray support killed it for me though. I guess I'll get the x-bone instead :shrug:

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Not yet

Hard to say. The examples they gave were Call of Duty had a demonstration of their Pro support and stated the new CoD will be "Pro ready" on Day 1. Then an EA developer came out and said FIFA and Battlefield 1 will also be given Pro support in the future but I don't believe they said when. Sony did not give any specifics about times for which games will be supported or how meaningful, which is why a ton of people rightfully feel weird about the whole thing right now. Most likely support is going to trickle in later this year and into next year, but maybe a shitload of games will be made "forward compatible" by November 10th, nobody knows. Literally nobody, I doubt even Sony knows for sure yet.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.

Boinks posted:

I don't have a console this generation and had $400 saved up for the PS4K. No UHD-4k Blu Ray support killed it for me though. I guess I'll get the x-bone instead :shrug:

Bloodborne is worth $300 tops tbqh

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Mel Mudkiper posted:

A. yes search for the eurogamer leak articles from march they got everything right
B. as of october first all games must have a pro mode and those games, depending on what the devs do, could have enhancements to settings that will be visible on regular screens such as greater detail and better fps.

its nothing major of course. its an excuse to keep the price at 400.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Boinks posted:

lol have fun

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Bubba Smith posted:

Not yet

Hard to say. The examples they gave were Call of Duty had a demonstration of their Pro support and stated the new CoD will be "Pro ready" on Day 1. Then an EA developer came out and said FIFA and Battlefield 1 will also be given Pro support in the future but I don't believe they said when. Sony did not give any specifics about times for which games will be supported or how meaningful, which is why a ton of people rightfully feel weird about the whole thing right now. Most likely support is going to trickle in later this year and into next year, but maybe a shitload of games will be made "forward compatible" by November 10th, nobody knows. Literally nobody, I doubt even Sony knows for sure yet.

Real hurthling! posted:

A. yes search for the eurogamer leak articles from march they got everything right
B. as of october first all games must have a pro mode and those games, depending on what the devs do, could have enhancements to settings that will be visible on regular screens such as greater detail and better fps.

its nothing major of course. its an excuse to keep the price at 400.

My deal is that I was interested until 399. It seems a little steep for a bump in price if there isn't a genuine tangible difference. Like, if you told me the PS-Pro could do Dark Souls III, Bloodborne, or FFXV at 60fps in 4k or something, I would be sold. If its gonna just be a marginal improvement in textures and no framerate bump, I don't see the point.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Bubba Smith posted:

I think even PS Move had better developer support when it was announced

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Neither console can run FFXV at a stable framerate as it does not exist

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
this console gen is one huge wet fart that never ends

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
if fighting games weren't almost exclusively on consoles i wouldn't have turned on my ps4 since I finished bloodborne a third time

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Pomp posted:

if fighting games weren't almost exclusively on consoles i wouldn't have turned on my ps4 since I finished bloodborne a third time

Only 3 times?

Casual filth

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Neither console can run FFXV at a stable framerate as it does not exist

Right, but if it came out "PS4 vanilla = 30fps and PSPRO = 60fps" for FFXV that would be a seller for me

If PSPRO just means slightly crisper looking anime hair whats the point

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Pomp posted:

this console gen is one huge wet fart that never ends
The NX Will Save Us All

also all the good fighting games come out on PC now

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Like, if you told me the PS-Pro could do Dark Souls III, Bloodborne, or FFXV at 60fps in 4k or something, I would be sold.

agreed but that right there would require a monster of a PC, let alone a $400 console.

I'm personally getting the Pro because I'm interested in the PSVR, which they did confirm will be receiving graphical benefits with the Pro but they only gave 1 example of a game for 30 seconds then moved on. When it comes to previous titles I would love if poo poo like Bloodborne got a 60 fps patch, but I would also be fine if Bloodborne II is the game that takes advantage of Pro's hardware in the future (or whatever next Sony exclusive From Soft game is coming, but it's Bloodborne 2 come on).

Final Fantasy 15 was a game they did show today, but once again, they didn't talk about what Pro is gonna do for it. Just that it'll do... things.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Liver Disaster posted:

that was my personal transcript of what actually happened on the stream
im glad u enjoyed it

Aw, poo. :smith:

Well I'll just pretend I'm responding to House and Cerny then.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Pomp posted:

Guilty Gear, Street Fighter, Mortal Kombat & Tekken are either on or coming to PC. I don't think there's any fighting games that aren't available there?

Neo_Reloaded
Feb 27, 2004
Something from Nothing
PS4 Pro preorder up on Amazon for the masochists

http://amzn.to/2c9dbsQ

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Mel Mudkiper posted:

My deal is that I was interested until 399. It seems a little steep for a bump in price if there isn't a genuine tangible difference. Like, if you told me the PS-Pro could do Dark Souls III, Bloodborne, or FFXV at 60fps in 4k or something, I would be sold. If its gonna just be a marginal improvement in textures and no framerate bump, I don't see the point.

devs have to make the old games run like that. they said they have over 12 old games getting updated but only mentioned 4 or 5. maybe bb is in there?

i mean its cool to talk yourself out of spending money because as they've said, ps4 amater isn't getting left behind.

Real hurthling! fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Sep 7, 2016

Ham
Apr 30, 2009

You're BALD!

Feenix posted:

I was 100% sold on a Pro if the bump for regular non4k users was significant. Right now, I am unconivinced it is. Time will tell... but I don't think I will be on the preorder train.

It's pretty much wait and see. Also the specs revealed by Sony are almost a one to one match with that leaked presentation that discussed the NEO, main difference is the higher capacity HDD.

Unless a title is patched, the PS4P will run that title in exactly the same way as you would expect a regular PS4 to run it, at least based on that leak.

If a title IS patched, the developer can utilize the extra power/features for whatever, including higher FPS, effects and downsampling.

If you're just buying a console, it's a great purchase. If people upgrade I think it'll be for:

a) All newer games have to support PS4P, and you're interested in these new games.
b) Some or a majority of the older games you still play received performance/graphics improving patches.
c) You really want to get more out of your 4K TV.

Here's most of the leak: http://wccftech.com/playstation-4-neo-leaked-document-reveals-specs-developer-guidelines/

Ham fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Sep 7, 2016

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Real hurthling! posted:

devs have to make the old games run like that. they said they have over 12 old games getting updated but only mentioned 4 or 5. maybe bb is in there?

i mean its cool to talk yourself out of spending money because as they've said, ps4 amater isn't getting left behind.

Yeah, I imagine I will jump to PS4pro eventually, I am just not sure if its a day 1 or "wait till there is a killer app" purchase

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Real hurthling! posted:

HDD and standard blueray are very good imo because gently caress paying for those in my nice cheap pro console.

hrd for all ps4s is the right thing to do.

sony killed it for this gamer. good messaging on keeping everything unified. good messaging on pro giving benefits in graphics to hd tvs and 4k tvs.

good stuff

:agreed: They had to walk a tightrope here between hyping a new product and not alienating the existing owners. If current PS4 owners are 1) lukewarm on the Pro and 2) not worried that they're being left behind, then that's probably the best outcome Sony could have hoped for. Can't really improve one without making the other worse.

Lmao at no UHD Blu-ray support though, physical media is loving dead

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

SUNKOS posted:

Guilty Gear, Street Fighter, Mortal Kombat & Tekken are either on or coming to PC. I don't think there's any fighting games that aren't available there?

KoF and Mortal Kombat is a trash fire on PC or was also lol Mortal Kombat

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Yeah, I imagine I will jump to PS4pro eventually, I am just not sure if its a day 1 or "wait till there is a killer app" purchase

you keep asking what's the point and really the point is having a premium product to keep profits up through the second half of the gen in a way that they haven't been able to do previously using new display technologies and consumer electronic purchasing habits as the pretense.
if it doesn't fit your life its cool. you got a ps4 already and its getting hdr support for free

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

Real hurthling! posted:

devs have to make the old games run like that. they said they have over 12 old games getting updated but only mentioned 4 or 5.

Over 12, or "over half a dozen" which to me sounds like seven?

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

homeless snail posted:

The NX Will Save Us All

:lol:

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Real hurthling! posted:

you keep asking what's the point and really the point is having a premium product to keep profits up through the second half of the gen in a way that they haven't been able to do previously using new display technologies and consumer electronic purchasing habits as the pretense.
if it doesn't fit your life its cool. you got a ps4 already and its getting hdr support for free

You are being kind of antagonistic about a guy trying to get a clear read on the benefits of a purchase in the thread for that purchase

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

i thought they said over a dozen

^^^
i'm not trying to be antagonistic sorry if i sound that way mel

SUNKOS posted:

lug your pc to meet ups

• Locked thread