Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

bull3964 posted:

I've personally found anything TruMotion related to be utterly useless and I just turn it off. Dejudder on even 1 gives me SOE and I haven't been able to see a benefit of deblur other than introducing motion artifacts.

I'm a dummy and got them the wrong way around. Yeah de-judder on 0 and de-blur between 8 and 10. I need to prep a clip to see what it's really doing but other than one thing I've fed it (which made it look like it was getting a frame out of order on cuts) it's not looked worse and possibly looked better. It's only the de-judder that contributes to SOE so I always leave that off.

quote:

I've played around with a ton of stuff and I always come back to

1) Feed the TV the source format
2) Turn everything other than RealCinema off

Yeah that's pretty much how I try to roll. Edge enhancement and super resolution etc all get turned off immediately. Haven't decided if I want any sharpening but the 10 (out of 100) default isn't offensive at least but I pull it to 0 sometimes. Noise Reduction to Low on feeds where I have bitrate concerns, but definitely don't want it killing actual film grain.

Lots of people seem to like Warm2 for white balance and as a photo nerd I can understand it, but I'm happier with that on cool or medium I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Looks like 4k content on PC may become a thing soonish. Sony has announced their ULTRA service will coming to PC, but only for 7th gen Intel processors next year. There are rumors Netflix may do the same (with the same hardware requirements.)

Clearly there's some hardware bit on the processors that they are taking advantage of. It can't be decoding since current processors are fully capable. There must be some DRM support that only exists in that hardware.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

gently caress you, bull.

Your posts here and on AVSforum made me pull the trigger. 65C6 on it's way to me.

But thank you for all of your hard work, as soon as I read the effort post about all of the different streaming devices on AVS I figured it was you. It was.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I'm sure you'll love it. I manage to put something on every day that makes me go 'wow'.

I haven't calibrated it yet beyond basic brightness/contrast and color (it has a built in blue filter that makes it really easy.). I don't have a meter yet that can do OLED and the set ages a lot in the first 200 hours or so. So I'll probably order a new meter next week and calibrate towards the end it the following week.

One bit of break in advise that seems to have merit. Turn the TV off every 4 hours for about 10 minutes. 4 hour cycles are what the tv uses to run the automatic compensation process that's supposed to even out wear on the tv. You can tell when it's running because there's a light you can see through the grill in the back of the set that stays on after the tv is off. When it finishes, the light goes out.

Doing the every 4 hours thing should break in the TV faster and hopefully minimize any uniformity issues.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah and you need to do that via the power switch on the tv itself, not the remote or pulling the plug. They definitely don't advertise this on the EF series which is a bit silly.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

EL BROMANCE posted:

Yeah and you need to do that via the power switch on the tv itself, not the remote or pulling the plug. They definitely don't advertise this on the EF series which is a bit silly.

You can do it via the remote with the 6 series (or the sleep timer for that matter.)

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Ah that's better. If it wasn't for AVS I wouldn't have found out about it for my TV at all because I only use the remote for powering on and off.

I'm not 100% convinced it's made any difference to the only flaw in my screen, which is banding in the near dark areas, though. But still, better to do it than not.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

From what I understand, the 2015 models also do some wear leveling during operation. The 2016 models do not. That could account for the behavior change.

I haven't gone looking for flaws yet. Was going to let the tv break in before I put up calibration slides.

The only time I've seen any hint of vertical bars in content was on extremely dark panning scene in Stranger Things when I had all my lights out. The TV had fewer than 10 hours on the clock at that point. I'll revisit the scene past the 200 mark and calibration to see if it is any better or worse.

I can also see two vertical darker areas near the center of the screen on full white when viewed off axis, but you have to be REALLY off axis (like around 160 degrees) so it's not a real problem.

I have about 80 hours on the TV today. I'm leaving for vacation Friday though. So yay beach, but I'll be separated from my new toy for a week.

I've been using a combination of sleep timer and auto on to get hours on the tv throughout the week while I'm at work. So I'm adding about 12 hours a day. I'm hoping to get to the 200 hour mark by the end of the week after I get back from vacation. Then I'll calibrate and go back to normal use patterns. I'll probably check the calibration at 500, 1000, 2000 and then every 2000 hours after that as the tv continues to age and stabilize.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Aug 31, 2016

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
I really hope my 8500 series plasma lasts forever. I want an oled but not for a few more years when more of the bugs get worked out.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Honestly, for 2016, I think we're there.

Uniformity wasn't perfect even with plasma and the current OLED displays destroy even the best plasma in dynamic range, peak brightness, ABL, color gamut, and image retention.

4k isn't there yet though. I mean, if you are heavily into Netflix and Amazon original content, it can pay off a bit. However, movie content is lacking. I've gone through the whole UHD list on Vudu and taken a look at all UHD discs out now and there's not much of anything worth commenting on. Even with the stuff that is there, there are often compromises. HDR was supposed to be the saviour that made even updates upscales with it, but even that is problematic right now because so few content creators really understand it.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
The E6 also is still pretty bad off axis for accurate color. It's just not nearly noticeable as LED tv's which are bad off-axis for contrast/brightness.

I actually wonder if the curve of the C6 does anything to help the off-axis color accuracy, or if it's just as bad as the E6 (which is still better than the EF9500 or whatever last year's model was).

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Off axis introduces a slight pink cast right? Wouldn't really affect me since I generally can't see subtle pink shades.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

bull3964 posted:

Honestly, for 2016, I think we're there.

I'm still concerned about longevity. I keep my electronics for a very long time.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

OldSenileGuy posted:

The E6 also is still pretty bad off axis for accurate color. It's just not nearly noticeable as LED tv's which are bad off-axis for contrast/brightness.

I actually wonder if the curve of the C6 does anything to help the off-axis color accuracy, or if it's just as bad as the E6 (which is still better than the EF9500 or whatever last year's model was).

Really? I read a few isolated stuff on AVS with a green tint but nothing evidenced towards the entire line.

It's still far better than lcd?

Edit: hey bull how long until you received a tracking number.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

The latest displays are supposed to have a 100,000 hour life. I don't think the panel is going to be a limiting factor here and the rest of the electronics are the same as any other tv.

On a long enough timeline, I just don't know if we can expect much more than 5 years of life out of electronics these days. My Panny Plasma started having issues right at the 2 year mark. My Sony W900a is pretty ok after 2.5 years, but I can tell the light spreader is a little off now in the lower right corner since I can see a spot of increased brightness with some really bright content.

sellouts posted:

Edit: hey bull how long until you received a tracking number.

I ordered about 10:30pm on a Monday and got tracking mid Weds afternoon. Chris did warn me though that the supplier was at a conference and that the TV would ship before they had a chance to update tracking.

It arrived locally that Friday and I scheduled delivery for the following Monday. I'm in Pittsburgh though and it shipped from OH so the origin point was only about 4 hours away.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Aug 31, 2016

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
I posted earlier about TVs. Since then I've been lurking and decided to hold off for a while. My current TV, a Sharp LC-42SB45U from 2009ish, is mostly fine except for audio. The built in speakers are terrible.

The TV only has one audio output, a "digital coaxial" port. I've only been able to get that working with OTA broadcast via the rabbit ears hooked up to the standard coaxial input. The TV has three HDMI ports that I am using for an Xbox, DirecTV, and a Mac Mini. Audio works through the built in speakers for all three inputs, but I haven't been able to get digital audio from either of them. The owner's manual says, "Depending on the connected equipment, audio will not output from the DIGITAL AUDIO OUTPUT terminal in HDMI connection. In this case, set the audio formats of the connected equipment to PCM, 32/44.1/48 kHz and 16 bits. Digital audio cannot be output through the HDMI terminal."

Does this mean my TV is too old to output audio from HDMI inputs? If not, any ideas? I've been using a standard RCA video cable to test, if that matters. If not, are there any super cheap receivers out there? Something that takes 3-4 HDMI inputs, sends to the video to the TV and optical audio somewhere else? Anything more than $100 or so and I'll just make due until I get a new TV.

E: If I do get a new TV, are there any models with at least one input that can pass through HDMI audio while the TV is off/standby? I like to stream music via AirPlay through AppleTV and would like to be able to do so without worrying about whether the TV is on or not. I currently have an older AppleTV with optical out that goes directly to my sound bar.

Kobayashi fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Sep 1, 2016

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Kobayashi posted:

I posted earlier about TVs. Since then I've been lurking and decided to hold off for a while. My current TV, a Sharp LC-42SB45U from 2009ish, is mostly fine except for audio. The built in speakers are terrible.

The TV only has one audio output, a "digital coaxial" port. I've only been able to get that working with OTA broadcast via the rabbit ears hooked up to the standard coaxial input. The TV has three HDMI ports that I am using for an Xbox, DirecTV, and a Mac Mini. Audio works through the built in speakers for all three inputs, but I haven't been able to get digital audio from either of them. The owner's manual says, "Depending on the connected equipment, audio will not output from the DIGITAL AUDIO OUTPUT terminal in HDMI connection. In this case, set the audio formats of the connected equipment to PCM, 32/44.1/48 kHz and 16 bits. Digital audio cannot be output through the HDMI terminal."

Does this mean my TV is too old to output audio from HDMI inputs? If not, any ideas? I've been using a standard RCA video cable to test, if that matters. If not, are there any super cheap receivers out there? Something that takes 3-4 HDMI inputs, sends to the video to the TV and optical audio somewhere else? Anything more than $100 or so and I'll just make due until I get a new TV.

What speakers are you hooking the TV up to? Normally the receiver won't be outputting the audio to anything else, but rather the receiver will be the thing driving speakers. Do whatever speakers you have it hooked up to support PCM stereo also?

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
An older sound bar, also Sharp, HT-SB500. Its manual says "When connecting with an optical digital cable, set the digital output of the digital tuner to PCM. Refer to the operation manual of the digital tuner." So I think it should work?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

People will always be selling off older receivers on Craigslist to buy the latest and greatest, check your local and see what's up. Denon, Onkyo, Yamaha all put out solid stuff that doesn't cost the earth and it sounds like your needs are quite minimal so you don't need the latest codecs or anything.

stevewm
May 10, 2005
In the TV's audio setup menu, do you have the option of setting the digital audio output format?

Most TVs with digital audio output offer a few options on what format to output in.. Most soundbars need plan old PCM input, so to get it working you need to set the TV to output this format.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

stevewm posted:

In the TV's audio setup menu, do you have the option of setting the digital audio output format?

Most TVs with digital audio output offer a few options on what format to output in.. Most soundbars need plan old PCM input, so to get it working you need to set the TV to output this format.

It worked with OTA broadcast so I'm thinking it's an HDMI issue. No settings I've been able to see. The TV has limited options, which is something I've always appreciated in the past.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
any recommendations on a projector for the basement? we have a screen down there from a prior owner. home theater, probably hooked into a Blu-ray player or something running kodi

hoping to spend 250 or less. I don't know much about projectors

mastershakeman fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Sep 3, 2016

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Try the projector thread

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3667435

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!
Looking for the best value in 4k TVs for my dedicated small "theatre" room. Viewing angle is not a strong concern due to furniture config. Distance to screen is around 10' and I'm looking at 50" as an absolute minimum in size but the space could hold up to 65"

I will be using it for Netflix and videogames

My budget is $1200 max (sad trombone) which rules out a lot of the recommendations I see on the net for things like the new vizio p65 or the Sony 930 etc.

Am I best served by a m-series vizio or something else?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
If you are looking at ~55" then buy a 1080p oled instead of a 4k lcd.

The LG 55" 1080p oled is selling almost every week for $1050-1200

Or if its a dedicated theater room consider a projector and screen.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!
Not really a dedicated theatre room, we will use it for TV/movies mostly but videogames on a projector have never been my bag, so we ruled out projectors.

1080p OLED wasn't something I had considered, I'll look into it.

It seems that if you can't afford 4k OLED you're stuck with either a resolution or a screen tech that will be outdated relatively soon?

GEMorris fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Sep 5, 2016

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

GEMorris posted:

Not really a dedicated theatre room, so we ruled out projectors.

1080p OLED wasn't something I had considered, I'll look into it.

It seems that if you can't afford 4k OLED you're stuck with either a resolution or a screen tech that will be outdated relatively soon?

1080p won't be outdated anytime soon.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

At 50" and 10 feet viewing distance, 4K isn't really a priority. I'm 65"/8ft and I can tell the difference but it's not absolutely night and day.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

If you care about size, 65" Vizio m series

If you care about quality and don't have a 4K gaming pc hooked up, 55" 1080p oled

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Get a free Xbox One S with a purchase of a 55-inch LG 4K television at Best Buy - $799.98

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Sony's newly announced today 4K gaming PS4 Pro does not play 4K Blu-rays. This is Sony indicating that they think the format's dead, right?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Is that confirmed? I was looking for info but couldn't spot any mention of UBD at all.

Looks like the Xbone with its lack of Atmos glory will be what I go for after all.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

EL BROMANCE posted:

Is that confirmed? I was looking for info but couldn't spot any mention of UBD at all.

Looks like the Xbone with its lack of Atmos glory will be what I go for after all.

It's only one outlet saying it right now so not confirmed.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

I picked up a 50" Vizio E-series a couple weeks ago and have been quite happy with it on the whole. However I found some odd things when trying to view local media, which my searches online haven't helped solve.

When playing video off of a USB flash drive plugged into the tv (yes, weird usage case I know) there are no playback controls aside from pause/resume. The TV comes with an extremely minimal remote, instead having you use their ap on a smartphone to change settings etc. This is fine to me, but the ap shows no playback controls when playing from the usb port (can't seek, rewind, etc).

The other complication which is maybe more obnoxious, is that you can't adjust the wide screen view mode at all! I had a movie which is widescreen, and when streaming it from my PC using Plex, it displayed properly with black bars on top and bottom. But Plex playback was lovely (stuttered, etc) so I put it on a USB stick and plugged that into the tv directly. This fixed playback but now the tv stretched the image vertically to fill the screen, giving it a weird aspect ratio. When I hit the aspect ratio button on the ap, the tv displays a message that the current picture mode "is best" and therefore you can't change it.

I can't seem to find more info about either of these issues online anywhere, anyone have solutions?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

havenwaters posted:

It's only one outlet saying it right now so not confirmed.

Can't get much more confirmation than them asking point blank and being told no, it doesn't have one.

https://www.engadget.com/2016/09/07/ps4-pro-uhd-blu-ray/

Sony hasn't fielded a standalone drive either. Yes, they pretty much think the format is dead.

I would consider the Xbone even with the gimped audio, but reports are it can't even play all the current titles properly (for example, can't play Lucy.)

I think I'll likey end up with the Philips player now.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Why is everyone so incompetent? I hope MS can fix that with firmware at least but still.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

EL BROMANCE posted:

Why is everyone so incompetent? I hope MS can fix that with firmware at least but still.

Nobody gives a poo poo about blu-ray, I don't think that anyone is expecting sales to grow ever again and it's not worth dumping huge investment into a slowly dying format that never even got as big as DVD.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DVD still outsells blu-ray by a significant margin.

I'm not really expecting UHD blu-ray to ever make up a significant portion of my library, but I would at least like a decent player for the few titles I will have and to play my blu-ray library.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Sep 7, 2016

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

bull3964 posted:

Can't get much more confirmation than them asking point blank and being told no, it doesn't have one.

https://www.engadget.com/2016/09/07/ps4-pro-uhd-blu-ray/

Sony hasn't fielded a standalone drive either. Yes, they pretty much think the format is dead.

I would consider the Xbone even with the gimped audio, but reports are it can't even play all the current titles properly (for example, can't play Lucy.)

I think I'll likey end up with the Philips player now.

Oh alright. Only one I had seen was from a stuff.tv twitter account.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Twerk from Home posted:

Nobody gives a poo poo about blu-ray, I don't think that anyone is expecting sales to grow ever again and it's not worth dumping huge investment into a slowly dying format that never even got as big as DVD.

It's still one of the main selling points on a console that doesn't have that much new, and it doesn't work.