Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Protocol7 posted:

Which sucks, because it actually looks really good.

Think of it like patina , like a worn Leica camera

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

computer parts posted:

Why do you think they delayed the MacBooks?

To make everyone who like Macs/OSX so pent up with frustration that when we finally get the chance to buy them, we literally explode - leaving nothing but our wallets behind for the retail guys to vacuum up?

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

I'm sticking to the black gloss with a black leather case. It'll look like the big daddy version of my current 5S in black leather.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
lol at calling the removal of a proven, ubiquitous technology in a naked cash grab "courage" and lol at anyone who buys it

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug

Don Lapre posted:

Wanna see what is in place of the headphone jack on the inevitable ifixit teardown. Hopefully its solder points for a headphone jack.

That would be very brave. It would take a lot of courage.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

I dunno. I was shopping around for wireless gym headphones for a year but knew to wait for Apple. I'll wait to see what third party sports bluetooth will come out and just use the adapter with my Relays until then.

I would be more concerned if Apple released a pro laptop without 3.5.

kdevil II
Aug 18, 2000
Forum Veteran
So how exactly does pre-ordering work if signing up for the apple upgrade program on t-mobile? I tried chatting with someone on apple.com but they had the courage to be clueless.

The apple upgrade site says in store only. Does that mean:
pre-order in apple store, pickup in store?
pre-order online, pickup in store?
pre-order in store, delivered to house?
No pre-order possible?

I am net new to the program if that makes a difference.

kdevil II fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Sep 7, 2016

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Shumagorath posted:

lol at calling the removal of a proven, ubiquitous technology in a naked cash grab "courage" and lol at anyone who buys it

Yes, hearty lol's all around!

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Shumagorath posted:

Can I say this, but unironically? Because this, but unironically.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

kdevil II posted:

So how exactly does pre-ordering work if signing up for the apple upgrade program on t-mobile? I tried chatting with someone on apple.com but they had the courage to be clueless.

pre-order in store, pickup in store?
No pre-order possible?

IIRC you can preorder online but you will have to pickup in store to utilize the program.

Kinda sucks for prepaid users having to go to a carrier just to get in on that.

oversteer
Jun 6, 2005

My 6S won't make a whole day without charging it, that's just listening to music on my commute and at my desk.

So is it even possible on a 7 to charge and listen to music via the 3.5mm adapter ?? And the wireless earphones only last '5' (yeah right) hours

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

kdevil II posted:

pre-order in store, pickup in store?
No pre-order possible?

Yeah I'd like to know as well. Their site is beyond useless.

I'm very sure you have to go in store to finalize stuff but I think you can do mostly everything online. Who the gently caress knows though because I can't find the exact process.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
Any word on the W1 chip making it onto other companies' headsets? Or is this exclusive to Beats/Apple?

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
I'm pretty sure it took a day or two last year for solid upgrade program information to come out.

kdevil II
Aug 18, 2000
Forum Veteran

Lblitzer posted:

IIRC you can preorder online but you will have to pickup in store to utilize the program.

Kinda sucks for prepaid users having to go to a carrier just to get in on that.

Thanks, you seem to know more than the online chat folks! (so you probably couldn't get a job there, sorry.)

By pickup in store, you mean the apple store, correct? And they do at least have the pre-order shipped there on launch day if pre-ordered online?

I've done a surprising amount of googling and either I can't phrase my question in a reasonable way, or there just isn't a lot of info out there.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

Pivo posted:

Well the Bluetooth audio chip has been in there for a while re: point 1, but re: point 2 I think you may have a point. I also think they may have a point that it frees up internal space and people who need it get the adapter with the phone for "free". It's still stupid and lovely, but when you think about internal space.... yeah, it is quite an intrusion, and makes it more difficult to weather-proof... but I still disagree with the move. Still, there are good arguments on each side and *sigh* the entire Internet is going to be arguing about this poo poo for months. Just wait til the dust settles...

Does anyone know if the W1 chip replaces the Bluetooth chip?

Can you use AirPods with any regular old Bluetooth source?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

frogbs posted:

Does anyone know if the W1 chip replaces the Bluetooth chip?

Can you use AirPods with any regular old Bluetooth source?

The airpods are bluetooth. they should work with any bluetooth source.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

Utnayan posted:

Except I already ran the numbers on a leased phone and the service charges from sprint itself stayed the same same whether I subsidized or not. Only the hardware of the device itself increased over the course of 2 years.

Probably because you're on sprint and they're awful. They have to offer something to keep customers.

I've run the numbers and it makes sense for me to not buy the dumb thing on contract. Do what you want and I'll do what I want.

Don Lapre posted:

The airpods are bluetooth. they should work with any bluetooth source.

Is there a source on that? From everything I've found there is nothing that mentions "it's bluetooth".

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

mAlfunkti0n posted:

Is there a source on that? From everything I've found there is nothing that mentions "it's bluetooth".

They work with ipads and macs.

iphone 5 and above, ipad mini 2 and above. Prob whatever bt version came on those.

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc
It's shocking how fast we went from "coasting on Jobs' vision" to "hollow imitation of Jobs' vision". The original iPhone didn't have copy paste but it revolutionized the idea of a smartphone. The iPhone 7 is incremental upgrades combined with intentional handicaps. The only thing it revolutionizes is increasing Apples revenue streams.

For fucks sake, it isn't even any thinner. Wasn't that meant to be the selling point of removing the audio jack?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Magic Underwear posted:

It's shocking how fast we went from "coasting on Jobs' vision" to "hollow imitation of Jobs' vision". The original iPhone didn't have copy paste but it revolutionized the idea of a smartphone. The iPhone 7 is incremental upgrades combined with intentional handicaps. The only thing it revolutionizes is increasing Apples revenue streams.

For fucks sake, it isn't even any thinner. Wasn't that meant to be the selling point of removing the audio jack?

Apple is in a tough spot (not financially right now obviously). They are basically relying on the iphone at this point for their revenue stream. So you dont want to kill the goose, but you still gotta do SOMETHING. Im guessing they are hoping licensing revenue from the lightning poo poo will offset people who arn't going to buy the phone.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

LionArcher posted:

It's only $9 bucks. And it's free if you get the new phone.
Yes, that adapter comes with it, but what about the one that lets us put lightning headphones in our Mac that goes the opposite way?

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Magic Underwear posted:

It's 2016, and ITT someone is complaining about the phone not being thinner

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

cowofwar posted:

There's no reason to get an Apple Watch.

Actually there is. It's just not for people who view it as a standalone tech device for nerds.

It's pretty simple really... if watches are something that you wear for fashion, then the Apple Watch has tons of great bands, looks cool, and has extra features that make your day more convenient like notifications, watch OS3 third party complications, occasionally answering your phone from your wrist if you're in the right place for it, having handy access and alerts for your calendar, etc. this is enough to get the watch if you're that kind of person.

If you exercise a lot, this may also be enough of a reason to get a Watch. The tracking is very good.

If you like fashion and you exercise, then grats, you're the prime market.

If you don't care about fashion and don't care about the exercise features, then yes, the watch is terrible from a tech standpoint and probably won't be useful for you for at least 2-3 years.

It's just kind of idiotic to say that there's no reason to get the Watch. The product category is different, which confuses the nerdy people that new tech is usually for, but don't confuse that for uselessness.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Astro7x posted:

It's 2016, and ITT someone is complaining about the phone not being thinner

One of the reasons people thought apple was moving it was to say, look how thin it is, and then that didn't happen. So all thats left is revenue stream, or they actually needed that space in the phone for something else.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

Wait wait wait, can you seriously not charge the phone while listening over lightning? That's some bullshit rumor right not actually how it works?

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

I really don't know what people expect from a phone nowadays to make it REVOLUTIONARY. Comparing a 7th gen phone to its original paradigm shifting first iteration is pretty silly at this point.

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc

Pryor on Fire posted:

Wait wait wait, can you seriously not charge the phone while listening over lightning? That's some bullshit rumor right not actually how it works?

That's correct.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Pryor on Fire posted:

Have the courage to wait and see.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Pryor on Fire posted:

Magic Underwear posted:

That's correct.

At this moment it's correct, but im sure someone will make a splitter that will let you do both.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Don Lapre posted:

One of the reasons people thought apple was moving it was to say, look how thin it is, and then that didn't happen. So all thats left is revenue stream, or they actually needed that space in the phone for something else.

In the keynote they said it was to include all the other new poo poo and keep innovating.

Pryor on Fire posted:

Splitter cable incoming probably

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.

Taima posted:

If you like fashion and you exercise, then grats, you're the prime market.

If you don't care about fashion and don't care about the exercise features, then yes, the watch is terrible from a tech standpoint and probably won't be useful for you for at least 2-3 years.

Well this is The Something Awful Forums after all.

Astro7x posted:

In the keynote they said it was to include all the other new poo poo and keep innovating.

Splitter cable incoming probably
Yeah, I'm sure it's capable of both, but Apple is apparently content to let third parties make the adapters.

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc

LmaoTheKid posted:

I really don't know what people expect from a phone nowadays to make it REVOLUTIONARY. Comparing a 7th gen phone to its original paradigm shifting first iteration is pretty silly at this point.

How about just not making the new version noticeably worse in order to push $160 ear buds that last (optimistically) 5 hours? I would never have any reason to be mad if not for the senseless regressions that give no benefit in return.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

They will probably put the headphone jack back in the phone if sales plummet. Vote with your wal-:lol:

nobody will care in 2 months

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Magic Underwear posted:

How about just not making the new version noticeably worse in order to push $160 ear buds that last (optimistically) 5 hours? I would never have any reason to be mad if not for the senseless regressions that give no benefit in return.

:lol:

the iPhone 7 is literally better than the 6S so I'm sorry you are upset about having to use the included adapter and getting VERY MAD about it on the internet.

Maybe android is for you?

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
The AirPods list "Bluetooth" on their product page so it should work fine with a Mac, you just won't get the "magic" auto-connect/device swap behavior.

Also, the closest other thing out there is $150 and only available in October, so the price isn't THAT out there. Apparently getting the "two separate earbuds" thing to work right is just really hard.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Magic Underwear posted:

I think the idea is that the new wireless stuff is so good you don't need a jack.

The funny part to me is that no one would have an opinion on these things if they didn't remove it, and that would probably be even worse for Apple than just not caring. This is going to be super successful lol

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
my logitech h800s sound nice, have 6 hours of battery life, cost $60 new, can connect to any device with the industry standard wireless connection (Bluetooth) or with any mac or PC via a USB dongle, can be charged with the industry standard wired connection (micro-USB), and they don't fall off my loving head down a sewer grate

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
My 2-year contract with Verizon is up so I assume I'll still be eligible to get a subsidized phone. I want a new phone because the battery on my 6 is poo poo, but I also kinda wanted to wait for the :siren: iPhone X :siren: next year.

If I buy a subsidized phone and sign a new 2-year contract with Verizon this year, then will I be able to buy the next iPhone using Apple's payment plan and sell the iPhone 7 on my own? It seems like this would be possible, but I'm not sure if buying the subsidized phone and locking myself into a 2-year contract means I'm not allowed to switch out phones on that account or something lovely like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug
The problem is that Apple has so much cash on hand it's literally insane from a business perspective and instead of actually innovating new products they're content to rest on their hands and ride the smartphone wave. Now they're building a car which is not even close to their core product line it makes zero sense but because it's Apple everyone thinks it's going to be amazing.

Apple in TYOOL 2016 can't even beat Spotify at their own game and managed to ruin their music app in the process.

• Locked thread