Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

>yawn

Go away Knifegrab you're most low-effort troll in Games which is saying something.

:ironicat:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

:nallears:

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Nice meltdown :grin:

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.

I feel strange... because... for once we are... in agreement?

Like I have been playing off and on and I just wish they would let me fly whatever.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
Also are you ok? Like I'm here for you man.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

It is crazy that instant transfer is likely getting squashed.

Like I posted before, Jacques excepted, it's so crazy non-immersive to have a delay if only because you are actively not in the game during that wait.

Jacques/second bubble does hold an exception only because I do feel like that place should be defined by roughing it and making hard choices about what you fly out there because hey, you're a long way from home. At least leave it like that until you can buy most of the equipment in the bubble out in that zone.

Regardless, this argument wouldn't probably be well received because I imagine brown seafolk would spend the extra delay time walking around their cockpit in a Vive while jerking it and this gives them a perfect amount of time.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Chrysophylax posted:

:siren: ATTENTION EVERYONE :siren:

There is an official vote on whether ship transfer should be instant or not. The thread can be found here and the poll can be found here.

The polling options are stupid grognard poo poo:

Don't let the :spergin: win

I can't get to the poll. I keep getting "Invalid account" even though I can log into my account just fine on the main Elite site.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Met posted:

I can't get to the poll. I keep getting "Invalid account" even though I can log into my account just fine on the main Elite site.

This is because you were planning to vote for instant transfers, you filthy casual

Ps can we see the vote breakdown or is it a super secret?

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

oRGy posted:

1) Can just be rowed back on and made instant if it turns out that it is the worst idea evar. Harder to do it other way around.

2) FSD range vs combat capabilities remains a thing

3) Creates a mechanic that has room for expansion (e.g. pay more for faster transfer, allow players to deliver ships, etc)

4) Being at the station and seeing your own ship warp in would be cool!

Also, I heard that Elite is not EVE, cool story bruh

1) They've already done it both ways. They chose instant because they playtested it both ways and their testers said the delay was Bad and Dumb

2) FSD range "balance" has never actually been a thing, it's just a pointless inconvenience tax to anyone who wants to do anything besides exploration.

3) Adding an artificial timer to transfers doesn't, by itself, "create room for expansion", and lol if you think letting players deliver ships would be a good idea.

4) Remember when the AI was literally incapable of docking a ship for several weeks, so every NPC ship would hover slightly above and to the left of their landing pad until their docking authorization ran out and the station blew it up? Seeing that happen to player ships being transported by the AI would be even cooler!

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
A poll on their official forums is such a cop-out. The spergiest spergs are the people who participate there in droves while people who don't give a poo poo to engage with them are completely unaware that this is a discussion/poll that's happening.

Chrysophylax
Dec 28, 2006
._.

Met posted:

Apparently that has to do with being logged into your Frontier store account. Try logging out and trying again

Also lol at the last page

E:

Why instant transfer is a bad thing:

Exploiting. As an example, let's use the most recent CG's

Delivering gold--Now you don't have to fly your massive short jumping type-9 3-5 jumps back to the station that has gold for sale. Get your hauler with max jump range, run to the supply station and insta-transfer your ship to you. Load up the type-9, jump to the station, sell your stuff, insta-deliver your hauler and fly back fast. Rinse/repeat. Reduces your jumps by 50%. Total exploit.

Jaques Station--haul your rear out there carrying 700 tons of cargo, scream back home a ship that goes 3x faster, same as above. After you get tired of that, have your combat anaconda delivered to you in seconds (even though it took 12 hours of play time to get there with 50 LY jump range). Murder all of the explorers in your insta-delivered death machine.

Soothis/Ceos runs just got a lot faster too. Then again, ship delivery should remain limited to the bubble only.

A wait time of 4 minutes to undock/supercruise & dock + 1 minute/jump based on your current FSD sounds totally reasonable. Allowing to deliver your ships to a destination in advance feels like a good compromise.

What would be very entertaining would be to see these ships moving through the universe and possible to interdict & destroy. Destruction of a ship in transit would add a few minutes to the transfer and could also add options for insured (expensive) vs. uninsured transport (cheap).

Chrysophylax fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Sep 7, 2016

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Yes I shall eagerly look forward to the possibility of my ship getting destroyed in transport without a chance to react. Also it should take days not minutes and also I would like the game to punch me in the dick when I reset a mission board

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Chrysophylax posted:

Apparently that has to do with being logged into your Frontier store account. Try logging out and trying again

Also lol at the last page

E:

Why instant transfer is a bad thing:

Exploiting. As an example, let's use the most recent CG's

Delivering gold--Now you don't have to fly your massive short jumping type-9 3-5 jumps back to the station that has gold for sale. Get your hauler with max jump range, run to the supply station and insta-transfer your ship to you. Load up the type-9, jump to the station, sell your stuff, insta-deliver your hauler and fly back fast. Rinse/repeat. Reduces your jumps by 50%. Total exploit.

Jaques Station--haul your rear out there carrying 700 tons of cargo, scream back home a ship that goes 3x faster, same as above. After you get tired of that, have your combat anaconda delivered to you in seconds (even though it took 12 hours of play time to get there with 50 LY jump range). Murder all of the explorers in your insta-delivered death machine.

Soothis/Ceos runs just got a lot faster too. Then again, ship delivery should remain limited to the bubble only.

A wait time of 4 minutes to undock/supercruise & dock + 1 minute/jump based on your current FSD sounds totally reasonable. Allowing to deliver your ships to a destination in advance feels like a good compromise.

What would be very entertaining would be to see these ships moving through the universe and possible to interdict & destroy. Destruction of a ship in transit would add a few minutes to the transfer and could also add options for insured (expensive) vs. uninsured transport (cheap).

None of the examples you cite for why instant transfer is a bad thing seem like bad things to me. Oh no, through the virtue of having extra ships that I had to buy and also paying a transfer fee, I don't have to deal with the tedium of slowboating 30 jumps if I'm not carrying cargo.

The "people can transfer combat ships outside the bubble" argument also doesn't do much for me since if I'm sweating getting attacked at Jacques or wherever I'm just going to approach in solo regardless.

Chrysophylax
Dec 28, 2006
._.
Elite is a game about flying a space ship.

Transferring a ship from point A to point B, is not about you flying the ship.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Clearly, waiting x minutes for the ship to arrive is, though. :smugdon:

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

orcane posted:

Clearly, waiting x minutes for the ship to arrive is, though. :smugdon:

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer

Chrysophylax posted:

After you get tired of that, have your combat anaconda delivered to you in seconds (even though it took 12 hours of play time to get there with 50 LY jump range). Murder all of the explorers in your insta-delivered death machine.
Wait... people play in Open Play? why? Do they like sitting outside the outpost Medium docking pad for 45 minutes while some guy AFKs in the hangar? Is it exciting to be blown to smithereens trying to come into station after a 20kly trip? Are RES boring unless you have to beat 5 other players to getting a hit in on the only spawned ship? Playing in Open Play brings annoyances, griefers, and spawn competition but on the plus side, sometimes the filled squares you see on the scanner are not filled! I play in open as often as I can because watching people try to dock is hilarious, but if I am doing anything productive it is on Solo Play because I don't want to wait for landing pads or get killed in 3 seconds with 2 hour's worth of cargo I spent mission board scumming to get.

In other news, hey guys, No Man's Sky is already 75% off! :v:

Chrysophylax
Dec 28, 2006
._.

:cripes:

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

How the hell is that impartial moderating? :psyduck:

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Volunteer moderator. I used to think the official WoW forums were the worst cesspool but I didn't count on all these space games nerds :toot:

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Chrysophylax posted:

Elite is a game about flying a space ship.

Transferring a ship from point A to point B, is not about you flying the ship.

I'm still flying a ship. I'm just choosing which ship I want to fly in a particular situation without tacking on extra tedium in having to go get it or an arbitrary waiting time. All this does is leave things at the status quo: I have some ships stored that would be fun to bring out on occasion and tool around in, but I'm never going to bother to go get them. Now it's "I'm never going to bother to go get them, or wait around for them" instead.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

:vince: Oh my god this is for real.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
"It's not inconvenient at all when compared to what we have."

He's so close to getting it. So close...

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
Someone mind explaining if the 'brown sea' moniker comes from anything in particular, or if it's just everyone shorthanding something like a 'sea of poo poo(posters)'?

oRGy
May 8, 2014
I just find the drama ITT hilarious, myself, it seems really disproportinate. I mean why you guys risking a heart attack considering

it's a NEW feature that does NOT EXIST YET --> i.e. you are not being deprived
--and--
you can continue playing the game while you wait the loving 10 minutes or whatever --> i.e. it does not force some tedium upon you
--and--
it's an easily tweakable or reversible decision if it ends up causing people to ditch the game enmasse (lol) --> i.e. you can tell us we told you so and I get to feel like an idiot

I mean, I get the :frontear: and making fun of spergs but some of the cognitive dissonance here is a bit, dunno, slap in the face. My feeling as to what happened reading Sandros post: They designed instant ship transfer because "barriers to fun are bad". This was the beginning and end of their thoughts on the matter. They most certainly did not do any internal A/B testing regarding this, and only realised that it might have downsides after reading reddit/forums and Braben then probably threw in his 2 pence.

Anyway enough of that BS, here's a Real Concern: Supercruise is loving boring. Compare to dunno, ETS2 where you actually have to *not crash*, avoid traffic, and break all the rules of the road to make sweet €€€. Elite: Point ship to place X, keep throttle in blue zone, basta. Yawn.

There should be at least Space Weather where you can go faster in certain patches of space depending on star type/activity, interdiction bubbles, SC stealth mechanics, FSDs with different SC properties, pips playing an influence, overcharging your FSD at the cost of some anamolies, etc.

But what's in 2.2? Ah, Space Weather (at certain types of neutron stars). This is a Good Thing!

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Morter posted:

Someone mind explaining if the 'brown sea' moniker comes from anything in particular, or if it's just everyone shorthanding something like a 'sea of poo poo(posters)'?

That and the forums are kinda brown-ish. It can be OK to look at the poop, sometimes smell it, but don't touch the poop.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

oRGy posted:

I mean, I get the :frontear: and making fun of spergs but some of the cognitive dissonance here is a bit, dunno, slap in the face. My feeling as to what happened reading Sandros post: They designed instant ship transfer because "barriers to fun are bad". This was the beginning and end of their thoughts on the matter. They most certainly did not do any internal A/B testing regarding this, and only realised that it might have downsides after reading reddit/forums and Braben then probably threw in his 2 pence.

No, actually, they did do testing. That's how they came around to instant ship transfer in the first place, even though they had originally said it wouldn't be instant - they mocked up the feature both ways and their testers felt that the delay was pointless.

Kurr de la Cruz
May 21, 2007

Put the boots to him, medium style.

Hair Elf
I think it originally came from the Mechwarrior Online forums? Since they were brown? v:v:v

Chrysophylax
Dec 28, 2006
._.
Gonna seriouspost for a second

oRGy posted:

it's a NEW feature that does NOT EXIST YET --> i.e. you are not being deprived

The problem is that we're suckers when we see the feature presented at gamescom along with one of the lead developers executive producer framing the issue like so:

Michael Brookes posted:

We like the potential effects this could have on interactions in the galaxy, and the benefit comes from instant transfer. We'll see in beta how it pans out.

Michael

Michael Brookes posted:

We're still discussing that - currently the idea is to limit it on cost, but a hard cap on distance cap on it is being discussed - say 10 light years ;-)

Michael

Michael Brookes posted:

Now you're just trying to score points. If we didn't think the addition was worthwhile in its current form then we wouldn't have added it.

Michael

Michael Brookes posted:

Not really - you still need to travel - and the availability of shipyards are a relatively small part of the galaxy. Yes it will shake things up in colonised space (it's meant to), but there's lots going elsewhere which require the usual travel mechanics.

Michael

Michael Brookes posted:

But would have complicated development for a low priority feature, this way we were able to slip it into 2.2 - otherwise it might have been further into the future. Besides delay impacts the point of the feature and that is to allow greater use of people's ships.

Michael

Michael Brookes posted:

It has been thought out, and discussed at length, and we believe that it provides more benefit to the game in its current form - it will certainly be interesting to see how things progress in beta :-)

Michael

So having framed the issue like so, you can see why people are further displeased by :frontear: :frontear:ing yet loving again after showing promise.

Chrysophylax fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Sep 7, 2016

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

oRGy posted:

I just find the drama ITT hilarious, myself, it seems really disproportinate. I mean why you guys risking a heart attack considering

Nah man everyone in this thread is totally chill and not mad but also 100% right and smarter than all those other people posting on internet forums.

oRGy
May 8, 2014
Huh, that's interesting, thanks! (Though LOL at Brookes implying that adding a timer! is some major coding challenge)

My bet is on a Braben intervention. He seems to be more concerned about realism and believability. Usually this is bad for gameplay (Elite 2 space combat!!) but maybe not in this instance. Here's a quote from Ian Bell (co-developer of original Elite) on just this topic:

quote:

I've not actually seen F:E2. [STAEMENT DELETED] and I decided it might be better if I could honestly claim never to have seen or played the game. I understand he simulated the entire galaxy using astronomically correct models and that I have a lot of respect for. It's a very aesthetic thing to have done, though it doesn't necessarily make for a fun game. However, what I've heard about the combat and flight system does not sound encouraging. I think David wants everything to be "realistic" but that's just not the right way to go IMO. If you are writing a simulator that's one thing, but games are meant to be played and play is about fun not realism.

Link

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

Panch posted:

:vince: Oh my god this is for real.

It is.

And it's been "deleted" for being off topic. My post saying it's a bit odd that posts for instant transfer are the ones that are all off topic was also deleted as off topic...

Chrysophylax
Dec 28, 2006
._.
It's never as simple as 'just adding a timer'. It means more QA time for a feature they were hoping to push for a stable release in a month's time. Any change to their in-place plan would delay things, and they didn't want that.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
There is always the slim chance that Frontier will go "wow looks like instant overwhelmingly won" and just leave it as is, they did hide the poll results after all.

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

KakerMix posted:

There is always the slim chance that Frontier will go "wow looks like instant overwhelmingly won" and just leave it as is, they did hide the poll results after all.

I doubt it. These are the same people who added the 20 mission limit because having too many could be confusing....

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
SRV Fuel.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

I've got good money on the fact that frontier are already developing it one way and will completely disregard the poll.

legooolas
Jul 30, 2004

Mike the TV posted:

Keep in mind the secret Kickstarter backer forum has the most influence out of the whole community. We can't even see the level of grognard they spew.

I kicked it at the start. Did I not give them a sufficient amount of money to be able to tell then that they are wrong in the secret forum?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum

Kurr de la Cruz posted:

I think it originally came from the Mechwarrior Online forums? Since they were brown? v:v:v

Both brown and "brown", yes.

• Locked thread