Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'
I'm glad it doesn't come with 4k blurays because that means no gigantic 100gb games

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Mel Mudkiper posted:

No worries, thanks for the link

Now I just need to pretend I know what any of those specs mean :ohdear:

The current "common best" graphics card series, the Nvidia GTX 10X0 line, has 9 tflops for ~$600 and 6.5 tflops for ~$300, compared to the 4.2 tflops of the Pro. On top of that, a lot of people don't like Radeon cards because they tend to give a lot of trouble, but that may change if the devs are making specifically for that platform.

Tl;dr, it's stronger than it was but still not very impressive.

Liver Disaster
Mar 31, 2012

no more tears

Real hurthling! posted:

got out the tape measure. 55mm is the same height as current ps4.
twice the grooves in the same package. so effiecient

see thats not so bad, and it makes the ps4slim look even smaller
more grooves, more airflow maybe

i only really use my main ps4 for ffxiv, maybe ill give my backup ps4 away and put a ps4pro on the big ol tv in the living room
i have to see if it has hdr support though, i know it does some after processing poo poo but when you get a free mechanics special tv you dont read into it too much

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Real hurthling! posted:

the cpu boost in pro is going to be a big deal. whenever digital foundry shows ps4 struggling vs xbox (like in hitman's fashion show scene et al.) they claim its a cpu bottle neck

Me too. Lots of people here trying to convince themselves that they aren't interested.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

El Hefe posted:

I'm glad it doesn't come with 4k blurays because that means no gigantic 100gb games

I imagine by the end of the life cycle physical media disks will be little more than passcodes to internet downloads

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

Me too. Lots of people here trying to convince themselves that they aren't interested.

Lol

Liver Disaster
Mar 31, 2012

no more tears

unironically finally, three usb ports
surprised they finally broke away from the two prong power cable though, rip the old video connector too
rip

Ham
Apr 30, 2009

You're BALD!

DreamShipWrecked posted:

The current "common best" graphics card series, the Nvidia GTX 10X0 line, has 9 tflops for ~$600 and 6.5 tflops for ~$300, compared to the 4.2 tflops of the Pro. On top of that, a lot of people don't like Radeon cards because they tend to give a lot of trouble, but that may change if the devs are making specifically for that platform.

Tl;dr, it's stronger than it was but still not very impressive.

Where do you get $300 for the GTX 1070 from? On Newegg everything is $400+.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Order=BESTMATCH&Description=1070&N=-1&isNodeId=1

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Got that backwards, old pal.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Playstation hit its creative zenith when it let you spin the little logo on the PS2

I own one of these.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'

Yeah I'm trying real hard to convince myself not to spend $400 for 3 more frames per second in hitman

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Dewgy posted:

I own one of these.

That pic needs a PSPRO to upscale the resolution because I have no idea what that is

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

I just grabbed those numbers off of Nvidia's pages, they might be old or from a promotion.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

It's a ...horizontal stand.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Jesus christ how did Sony not realize after the XBONE disaster that your console needs to have an easy cool nickname

PSPro is ok I guess, but isn't as easy to type as ps4.

And we cannot even call it a psp

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I want a PS4, but I have only a 1080p TV. Games like DQ Builders is coming out before the PS4P, and the normal PS4 doesn't seem like a killer deal (500GB for $300 vs 1TB + 4K + voodoo3dgrafx for $400).

I guess I can just preorder games for the sweet 20% Prime discount and just get the Pro when it comes out. :/

Ham
Apr 30, 2009

You're BALD!

DreamShipWrecked posted:

I just grabbed those numbers off of Nvidia's pages, they might be old or from a promotion.

Yeah, now that I check it the MSRP is actually $380 but the thing can barely be obtained for $400. Was even worse a couple weeks ago.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Phone posted:

I want a PS4, but I have only a 1080p TV. Games like DQ Builders is coming out before the PS4P, and the normal PS4 doesn't seem like a killer deal (500GB for $300 vs 1TB + 4K + voodoo3dgrafx for $400).

I guess I can just preorder games for the sweet 20% Prime discount and just get the Pro when it comes out. :/

If you don't mind 500gb hard drive just hit up a gamestop after November when PS4 classics will be pre-owned for cheap

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Will the PSPro come with a controller?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

RatHat posted:

Will the PSPro come with a controller?

They're following the Nintendo model: it doesn't come with a power brick.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

If you don't mind 500gb hard drive just hit up a gamestop after November when PS4 classics will be pre-owned for cheap

I need to play through a bunch of poo poo and I have to go outside and work on things, so I can just order games and get a PS4P in November and then act like it's Christmas a month early.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Looks like there's a new PS camera too?

Screenshot from this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kgWM0e6D9dM

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Screenshot from this:

That is likely the camera that tracks the PS VR

E. Speaking of that, it's too bad you won't be able to look behind you with the VR

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Yeah but it looks different from the camera that's been out since launch (also PSVR-compatible).

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Screenshot from this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kgWM0e6D9dM

DreamShipWrecked posted:

E. Speaking of that, it's too bad you won't be able to look behind you with the VR
it has tracking lights on the back, doesn't it?

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!
Waiting for PS4 Bro edition that comes with 2nd controller.

Also UHD Bluray is not going to matter for 95% of consumers. The few that do probably will buy standalone units that are configured by retired NASA scientists for color accuracy. The console probably should have come with it if microsoft could manage it on their stupid slim console. Just because irate fans are going to be bickering about HDR BLURAY AND HDR HDR HDR for the next god knows how long.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Jesus christ how did Sony not realize after the XBONE disaster that your console needs to have an easy cool nickname

PSPro is ok I guess, but isn't as easy to type as ps4.

And we cannot even call it a psp

call it the 4p, Pronounced "fourp"

also since you were asking about it earlier apparently Rise of the Tomb Raider is the first game to explicitly confirm that they will have 3 graphic modes available: 4k upscale mode (don't use this), 1080p at 60 fps, and then 1080p hardcapped at 30 fps but with graphical enhancements turned on. All I need is for Naughty Dog to confirm that Uncharted 4 is gonna receive the same patch and I'm gonna be a 4per.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

DreamShipWrecked posted:

The existing PS camera tracks the PSVR too, but it doesn't look like that (not cylindrical).

homeless snail posted:

It does. Looking behind you works well. Lots of false info in this thread today.

UnfortunateSexFart fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Sep 7, 2016

Ryoga
Sep 10, 2003
Eternally Lost
The greatest thing about this announcement today is all these people around the internet getting really invested in a game console while also trying too hard to act like they don't give a poo poo. Endless amusement.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

homeless snail posted:

The initial style didn't, but they might have changed it for launch.

Ryoga posted:

The greatest thing about this announcement today is all these people around the internet getting really invested in a game console while also trying too hard to act like they don't give a poo poo. Endless amusement.

The important thing is that you are above it all.

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

Ryoga posted:

Yeah, a console thread on announcement day is where I go for rational news discussion. I also frequent apple forums when iPhones are released.

Basically your idea of entertainment is funny to me.

Liver Disaster
Mar 31, 2012

no more tears

Ryoga posted:

It really is Something Awful :haw:

Ham
Apr 30, 2009

You're BALD!
So here's an example of how devs can handle porting to PSPro. A Crystal Dynamics dev was just on the aftershow stream, and these are the options they're allowing on Rise of the Tomb Raider:

a) A 4K PSPro mode.
b) A 1080p native mode with high framerates (goal of 60FPS with dips, minimum 45 FPS).
c) A 1080p native mode locked to 30FPS with the extra power used for effects, anti-aliasing, etc.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Ham posted:

So here's an example of how devs can handle porting to PSPro. A Crystal Dynamics dev was just on the aftershow stream, and these are the options they're allowing on Rise of the Tomb Raider:

a) A 4K PSPro mode.
b) A 1080p native mode with high framerates (goal of 60FPS with dips, minimum 45 FPS).
c) A 1080p native mode locked to 30FPS with the extra power used for effects, anti-aliasing, etc.

That is a lot of work that 90% of devs are not going to bother with unless they are heavily coerced.

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

Ham posted:

a) A 4K PSPro mode.

I think b is what most non 4K people want from the console, and would probably drive some sales if the most desirable titles supported that kind of mode. Games like say, I don't know, Bloodborne.

DreamShipWrecked posted:

That is a lot of work that 90% of devs are not going to bother with unless they are heavily coerced.

Yep. :(

acksplode
May 17, 2004

homeless snail posted:

That's super sad, that movies are going to look like pixelated bullshit from now on

Maybe by 2024 there will be enough angry 4k TV owners with lovely downstream that we can organize as a voting bloc and nationalize Comcast! Aside from that yeah probably.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

unlawfulsoup posted:

I think b is what most non 4K people want from the console, and would probably drive some sales if the most desirable titles supported that kind of mode. Games like say, I don't know, Bloodborne.

Yep. :(

I could see PS exclusives getting the nudge from Sony to do it.

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Or develop on pc

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Bethesda announced they're gonna patch in 1080p 30fps for FO4 on the PS6

Ham
Apr 30, 2009

You're BALD!

DreamShipWrecked posted:

To be fair, considering that the architecture is pretty much the same, just preparing your basic PSPro patch with a minimum of effort will give you a locked framerate when before you had dips, as well as better asset streaming. For unlocked framerate games that will mean a pretty massive increase in FPS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

unlawfulsoup posted:

I don't know. For a non-action game a stable 30fps with all the graphical bells and whistles is probably better. What makes most sense very much depends on the game.

• Locked thread