Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

(beats are also dogshit)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

finally same

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

courage

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

zen death robot posted:

is it that controversial to say that Apple did something stupid to an otherwise good phone?

apparently

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

zen death robot posted:

is it that controversial to say that Apple did something stupid to an otherwise good phone?

is there any other way to say it

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

zen death robot posted:

in so far as the phone is not otherwise good, yes

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

zen death robot posted:

would you say it takes courage to say it

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

decent wireless earbuds

Oxymoron

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

its not an oxymoron but there arent any outright good ones

for 99% of iphone owners, wireless earbuds are the best choice

for everyone else theres audeze et al.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

The autist who made 9 figgies from 2008 was right. ......

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/dr-michael-burry-buys-alphabet-231147914.html

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

THC posted:

gotta have 100.0% battery life when you walk out the door or else you might miss precious minutes of pokemon go as the day wears on

go to work all day and then go out for a 10 mile run with gps tracking and then go do something for dinner without charging it and surprise it dies. great user experience there, charging is an edge case now i guess?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

So just out of curiosity do the new wired lightning headphones have an internal DAC, like everyone is saying will be the big stupid audiophile advantage to having headphones only connectable through the lightning port? Or do they still use the iPhone's internal DAC and pass the audio out as analog signal on some of the unused pins?

I bet it's the latter

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

Sagebrush posted:

So just out of curiosity do the new wired lightning headphones have an internal DAC, like everyone is saying will be the big stupid audiophile advantage to having headphones only connectable through the lightning port? Or do they still use the iPhone's internal DAC and pass the audio out as analog signal on some of the unused pins?

I bet it's the latter

what does your heart tell you lol

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

C.H.O.M.E posted:

go to work all day and then go out for a 10 mile run with gps tracking and then go do something for dinner without charging it and surprise it dies. great user experience there, charging is an edge case now i guess?
wow those 5 minutes you have it plugged in while showering sure make a big difference

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

zen death robot posted:

does the dongle have a dac?

wondering this too. it's big enough for that to be a possibility

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
dac my dongle jonny

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy

THC posted:

wow those 5 minutes you have it plugged in while showering sure make a big difference

yeah it didn't

skeevy achievements
Feb 25, 2008

by merry exmarx
piano black phone looks poo poo hot and will be a great match for the piano black interiors in our benzes :coal:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i mean if they're going to do this with the headphone jack, they might as well go a hundred percent of the way and make it all digital, instead of a half assed "exactly the same audio signal out but the plug doesn't fit anymore" poo poo

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
but that would make the new headphones more expensive to produce

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

THC posted:

20 minutes to shower and get dressed is enough to add ~25% so yes it does.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

PleasureKevin posted:

i speculate that the new iPhone will charge a lot faster. so if 15 minutes gets you to 75 or 80 charge, then listening to music while charging isn't really a huge deal. iPhone 2017 will probably have wireless charging, so even that shouldn't be a problem in the future.

also, did they confirm this thing that pleasurekevin speculated? can you charge the iphone from 10% to 80% in 15 minutes?

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

Shaggar posted:

but that would make the new headphones more expensive to produce

on the apple store the lightning buds and 35mm buds both cost $29

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
my winphone charges 50% in 30 minutes.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

but your phone wasn't fully charged when you woke up.. why

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

bump_fn posted:

on the apple store the lightning buds and 35mm buds both cost $29

yeah they're the same thing w/ a different plug. if the lignthining ones had a dac they'd be way more expensive

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

i play music on my BT speaker in the bathroom and still have 100% battery when I leave. but im sure youre right and im missing out on hours of fun and fitness tracking

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

THC posted:

but your phone wasn't fully charged when you woke up.. why
it was. today i did not have a cable at work and it is 34% when i am leaving at 5pm, so if i go out for a run now it is gonna be dead if i don't charge it. do you not actually use your phone?

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
can we please get a word filter "apple" -> "courage"

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER
Are the earbuds waterproof?

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

bump_fn posted:

can we please get a word filter "apple" -> "courage"

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

within days of getting a waterproof phone i had taken it in the shower for the novelty of it

can't wait for the tens of thousands of "lol amazing i'm in the shower tweeting w my iphone apples does it again" posts

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

and then the tens of thousands of "omg apple i took my phone in the ocean and now it's dead why didn't you say IP67 doesn't cover immersion in salt water????"

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

Sagebrush posted:

within days of getting a waterproof phone i had taken it in the shower for the novelty of it

can't wait for the tens of thousands of "lol amazing i'm in the shower tweeting w my iphone apples does it again" posts

this entire keynote was a play for easier shower nudes

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
I am excite for people's warranties being voided when they dunk their water resistant iphones

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

Sagebrush posted:

also, did they confirm this thing that pleasurekevin speculated? can you charge the iphone from 10% to 80% in 15 minutes?

no word on charging times in the presentation or on the site. but it does now have 50% better battery life than the iPhone 5S (my current model)

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
on the plus side for people downgrading to a 7 from an earlier phone, you'll get a premium on ebay from people snapping up replacement phones to ensure they'll have headphone jacks

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

zen death robot posted:

the wireless earbuds have a 5 hour charge which is garbage
in reality that means within a few months it will probably only last a couple hours with continuous use

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER
hey remember that time apple had the courage to be the first ones to get rid of the floppy drive but we didn't have usb sticks or cloud drives or anything so for a few years every imac had a USB floppy drive attached?

• Locked thread