Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SimpleCoax
Aug 7, 2003

TV is the thing this year.
Hair Elf
Do the people complaining about lack of a headphone jack still have their CD-ROM attached with a ribbon cable? It's time to just savor your last and only port fellas. See you in the future, where there are never new Macs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.
It really is too bad you're legally compelled to use AirPods and can't get literally any other set of wireless headphones that you'd like to use instead.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
Apparently the phones go up for preorder on Friday- does that mean midnight on Thursday like it did for the 6 launch?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Taima posted:

Apparently the phones go up for preorder on Friday- does that mean midnight on Thursday like it did for the 6 launch?

It's always been midnight for Apple preorders, I think.

(Central time)

Also here's 100% of my iPhone use as a music source device:
1. On my car (via Bluetooth)
2. Running outside (Bluetooth headset)
3. At home (Apple TV)

Death to the jack. Please update your poo poo old technology to the glorious wireless world.

Happy Noodle Boy fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Sep 7, 2016

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Rabble posted:

The problem is that Apple has so much cash on hand it's literally insane from a business perspective and instead of actually innovating new products they're content to rest on their hands and ride the smartphone wave. Now they're building a car which is not even close to their core product line it makes zero sense but because it's Apple everyone thinks it's going to be amazing.

Apple in TYOOL 2016 can't even beat Spotify at their own game and managed to ruin their music app in the process.

Spotify ends up in a drawer before long.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

OldSenileGuy posted:

My 2-year contract with Verizon is up so I assume I'll still be eligible to get a subsidized phone. I want a new phone because the battery on my 6 is poo poo, but I also kinda wanted to wait for the :siren: iPhone X :siren: next year.

If I buy a subsidized phone and sign a new 2-year contract with Verizon this year, then will I be able to buy the next iPhone using Apple's payment plan and sell the iPhone 7 on my own? It seems like this would be possible, but I'm not sure if buying the subsidized phone and locking myself into a 2-year contract means I'm not allowed to switch out phones on that account or something lovely like that.

Generally speaking: that should work but you'd still have to pay off the rest of the 2-year subsidy cost and you'd have to deal with any hassle from Verizon to unlock the phone before you sell it.

You may want to check out the Apple upgrade program instead. It's a 24-month payment plan, but, after 12 months, you can trade in the phone, get a new one and restart the clock, so you basically pay half the cost for the traded-in phone.

Actually, if you think you'd be able to resell the phone for more than half the price you could just buy each phone on a separate payment plan through Apple (without doing the upgrade thing), if that'd be cheaper than whatever subsidy cost Verizon puts on their bill or worth avoiding carrier contract hassles.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Rabble posted:

Apple in TYOOL 2016 can't even beat Spotify at their own game and managed to ruin their music app in the process.

This is not true at all. Apple Music has been making huge gains this year and is growing way faster than Spotify. This is partially due to the exclusive paid agreements that they're signing with the most anticipated artist releases.

Spotify is actually hosed long term because they need to make a profit. Apple Music doesn't give a flying gently caress about making a profit because Apple Music is basically an incentive to tie into the Apple ecosystem. Maybe one day it will be expected to make a profit, but they have way more important uses for the service in the meantime.

Apple will likely prevail here through nothing more than iteration over time combined with the fact that they don't need to care about money for the foreseeable future.

I'm a Spotify guy so I'm not trying to suck Apple's dick here... I just see the writing on the wall.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

fourwood posted:

It really is too bad you're legally compelled to use AirPods and can't get literally any other set of wireless headphones that you'd like to use instead.
Earpods are the most comfortable ones I've found. If I can get reasonably priced wireless headphones with handy volume/playback controls with the same mould - I'm in!

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.

Taima posted:

12:01AM pacific time Friday morning, but chances are you won't be able to get in to the system until about 12:15. 3 AM for us on the right coast

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.

Question Mark Mound posted:

Earpods are the most comfortable ones I've found. If I can get reasonably priced wireless headphones with handy volume/playback controls with the same mould - I'm in!

Yeah, EarPods are great. I'm probably down for some airpods, but I might wait for 2nd gen on that. I think the only playback control I'd *really* miss is pause, but just popping them out does that I guess. Next track would be nice too, though...

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

No one talks about this.

Astro7x posted:

Splitter cable incoming probably

Lightning is a daisy chain protocol, not a hub so you'll have to get headphones that have a lightning line-in

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Taima posted:

This is not true at all. Apple Music has been making huge gains this year and is growing way faster than Spotify. This is partially due to the exclusive paid agreements that they're signing with the most anticipated artist releases.

Spotify is actually hosed long term because they need to make a profit. Apple Music doesn't give a flying gently caress about making a profit because Apple Music is basically an incentive to tie into the Apple ecosystem. Maybe one day it will be expected to make a profit, but they have way more important uses for the service in the meantime.

Apple will likely prevail here through nothing more than iteration over time combined with the fact that they don't need to care about money for the foreseeable future.

I'm a Spotify guy so I'm not trying to suck Apple's dick here... I just see the writing on the wall.

"My 8 year old nephew is growing faster than me" is a comparable analogy to Apple Music growing faster than Spotify.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002

by VideoGames
Hell Gem
Betting $10 the next iPhone is gonna ditch lightning and move to Thunderbolt 3/USB C.

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

TBeats posted:

"My 8 year old nephew is growing faster than me" is a comparable analogy to Apple Music growing faster than Spotify.

17 million (Apple) vs. 30 million (Spotify) is pretty good considering the amount of time both services have been around.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Bum the Sad posted:

Betting $10 the next iPhone is gonna ditch lightning and move to Thunderbolt 3/USB C.

If the iPhone 8 carries through on the "all glass enclosure full face screen with wireless charging" thing they may just ditch a connector port altogether.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

TBeats posted:

Actually you're wrong, sorry. Apple has infinite money, their footprint is very large considering the age of their service, and they have the small advantage of not having to make money ever, versus Spotify which is a standalone business that needs to generate revenue (and doesn't btw. They still lose money).

Hmm I wonder who will prevail

YA BOY ETHAN COUCH posted:

12:01AM pacific time Friday morning, but chances are you won't be able to get in to the system until about 12:15. 3 AM for us on the right coast

Thank you. Last time Verizon actually put up the preorders before midnight- maybe 20 mins early. I'm sure it varies between providers.

Linx
Aug 14, 2008

Pork Pro
How difficult is it to get a preorder in as soon as it goes live? This will be my first time doing so and I'm afraid of getting hosed by my banks over-zealous fraud prevention that seems to trigger with any online transaction above £300, requiring me to respond "YES" to an automated text asking if I made the purchase. This would be all well and good if their backend actually sent out the loving texts with above a 5% chance of success

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well
Also, the 'not enough space' argument is funny if you look at how much space the 'taptic engine' takes up:

Acquilae
May 15, 2013

Meh, don't see what's so bad about the AirPods design. They basically look like the normal Apple earphones with the wires cut off and replaced with microphones.

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

No one talks about this.

Linx posted:

How difficult is it to get a preorder in as soon as it goes live? This will be my first time doing so and I'm afraid of getting hosed by my banks over-zealous fraud prevention that seems to trigger with any online transaction above £300, requiring me to respond "YES" to an automated text asking if I made the purchase. This would be all well and good if their backend actually sent out the loving texts with above a 5% chance of success

it was a loving mess when i preordered my 5S, it was pretty fine when I got my 6, and I didn't get a 6S but hopefully they've discovered the power of the cloud and can handle it.

judging by the reception in here and the big headlines all over the news right now, the crowds won't be clamoring as hard as normal.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Ouhei posted:

17 million (Apple) vs. 30 million (Spotify) is pretty good considering the amount of time both services have been around.

Taima posted:

Actually you're wrong, sorry. Apple has infinite money, their footprint is very large considering the age of their service, and they have the small advantage of not having to make money ever, versus Spotify which is a standalone business that needs to generate revenue (and doesn't btw. They still lose money).

Hmm I wonder who will prevail

Spotify is at 39 million as of August, up from 30 million in March. Apple Music has gained two million (from 15 million to 17 million) since May.

When you're the old dog in the game and you are outgaining your competition, you are pretty safe.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Linx posted:

Well I'm in the USA but it was super easy for me last time.

I can't speak for your banking industry specifically but you can typically call the bank and let them know of a big pending purchase. They will temporarily raise the limit for you or disable the protection for 24 hours. I highly suggest you at least try to do this if it's a big concern.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib
So much stupid complaining in this thread about revolutionary missing. The 7 is just fine, many will upgrade and the world will move on. Whatever apples vision is they aren't sharing it yet. If you cannot deal with using an adapter then move over to android. Good lord. TYOOL 2016 and people are a bunch of cry babies.

Linx
Aug 14, 2008

Pork Pro

Taima posted:

Well I'm in the USA but it was super easy for me last time.

I can't speak for your banking industry specifically but you can typically call the bank and let them know of a big pending purchase. They will temporarily raise the limit for you or disable the protection for 24 hours. I highly suggest you at least try to do this if it's a big concern.

Yeah I've phoned up and went through all the verification processes before and their response was basically "no" and that they have no provision for disabling it. That was a while back so maybe I'll phone again and ask.

Hopefully some people will be put off by the lack of 3.5mm and it will put less strain on numbers as someone further up pointed out

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer

TBeats posted:

Spotify is at 39 million as of August, up from 30 million in March. Apple Music has gained two million (from 15 million to 17 million) since May.

When you're the old dog in the game and you are outgaining your competition, you are pretty safe.

How many of those subscribers are taking advantage of the heavy discounting that Spotify does, I wonder? I routinely see 3 months for 99c/€0.99/99p. At least Apple is honest with what they charge and their introductory trial. Spotify doesn't know how to make a profit from "39 million" paid subscribers.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002

by VideoGames
Hell Gem

Roadie posted:

If the iPhone 8 carries through on the "all glass enclosure full face screen with wireless charging" thing they may just ditch a connector port altogether.

I just feel like Apple really wants to make sure they get you fully invested in lightning and then gently caress you hard by going lol thunderbolt now.

They should of just said gently caress it and done it with this model. Finally get everything onto using compatible cables as USB-C connector becomes common.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Athletic Footjob posted:

How many of those subscribers are taking advantage of the heavy discounting that Spotify does, I wonder? I routinely see 3 months for 99c/€0.99/99p. At least Apple is honest with what they charge and their introductory trial. Spotify doesn't know how to make a profit from "39 million" paid subscribers.

that is irrelevant to the question of "who will prevail." spotify isn't going anywhere and it is growing faster than the new flashy service that comes stock on the most popular cell phone in America.

just because a company isn't pulling a profit doesn't mean they are going to lose market share to a competitor.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
I like my cheap standard headphones and I like the fact I can buy dozens of them so when I eventually lose it or break it there's no harm done.

I also don't like dongles. Guess I'm not switching anytime soon!

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot
Any thoughts on going big/small and dual/single camera lens? I think I will be going from a 6 to a 7+ to take advantage of the dual lenses. Hope it fits in my pocket. If there is any issue how long do I have to return the thing and go to 7 regular? I will be doing the upgrade program.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

logikv9 posted:

I like my cheap standard headphones and I like the fact I can buy dozens of them so when I eventually lose it or break it there's no harm done.

I also don't like dongles. Guess I'm not switching anytime soon!

to be honest, not being able to charge my phone while listening to music is probably the biggest deal killer for me.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Athletic Footjob posted:

Only a portion of those are paid, the rest are ad supported (which is to say, not supported, since they lose money).

Spotify is looking to start loving with its free base soon in the form of gating new releases:
http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/7971771e-72c0-11e6-bf48-b372cdb1043a.html?siteedition=intl

They're clearly going to continue messing with their free listeners as time goes on. The model itself simply doesn't work. They have to start offering more incentive to convert to paid.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

lol at having a wired pair of lightning headphones. Can't wait to use them on absolutely nothing else I own

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
You can tape the adapter you your favorite set of headphones and never worry about losing it but ok.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
also a hearty "lol no" to anybody who thinks they will ever switch to usb C for the iPhone anytime soon. they must make bank off all their specific accessories and their certification program.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Taima posted:

Only a portion of those are paid, the rest are ad supported (which is to say, not supported, since they lose money).

Spotify is looking to start loving with its free base soon in the form of gating new releases:
http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/7971771e-72c0-11e6-bf48-b372cdb1043a.html?siteedition=intl

They're clearly going to continue messing with their free listeners as time goes on. The model itself simply doesn't work. They have to start offering more incentive to convert to paid.

that's 39 million paid subscribers.

counting free users, there are about 100 million spofity users

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

Acquilae posted:

Meh, don't see what's so bad about the AirPods design. They basically look like the normal Apple earphones with the wires cut off and replaced with microphones.

The price.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

LmaoTheKid posted:

You can tape the adapter you your favorite set of headphones and never worry about losing it but ok.

But then I can't use my headphones with any of the other stuff I use the for (PS4, Mac, TV)

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Sorry but spotify is twitter. I personally pay the owner of twitter before I tweet, and spotify has never convinced me to do that.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

I already have several years experience with audio via lightning from using newer music instrument input devices that connect through lightning, and its way better. Cleaner signal, less latency, more power. I remember when everyone was crying that the 32 pin connection was going away, until they saw their iPhone 6 fully charge in 2 hours.

Though I thought the airpods were going to be $99. The price seems pretty high, especially for something thats probably going to get lost.

Wonder how many days it will take for chinese companies to make their fake Airpods, and for Microsoft to release their own version of it that will flop like the zune and songsmith.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

No one talks about this.

logikv9 posted:

also a hearty "lol no" to anybody who thinks they will ever switch to usb C for the iPhone anytime soon. they must make bank off all their specific accessories and their certification program.

yes that certification program is such a cash cow

• Locked thread