Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Night10194 posted:

Gotta get the sacred dagger hidden in St. Peter's Basilica for that.

Good thing the pope's pretty friendly.

Secretly Hillary knows that McConnell will burst into flames once he touches it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

A Winner is Jew posted:

So she's to blame for what happens over a year after she leaves her position as SoS... got it.

When what happens is a direct result of an inadequately-planned operation that she helped champion, yeah, I do. Do you not blame Iraq on Bush and Rumsfeld? They left office eight and ten years ago, respectively.

Yinlock posted:

CNN in particular has been fellating Trump non-stop.

I dunno, I've seen people like Anderson Cooper and Jeff Tapper calling Trump surrogates out pretty clearly. Even if they didn't, though, Benghazi just isn't that much of a story for them anymore.

DemeaninDemon posted:

Secretly Hillary knows that McConnell will burst into flames once he touches it.

I'd think turtles are kind of hard to set on fire...

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
The original intervention was pushed primarily by France looking to avoid a refugee situation similar to what had been going on with refugees from 2007 on

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

CNN has been having a ton of fun with chyrons which is pretty un-CNN like. No one's fellating Trump, they're just trying to go equally hard on both candidates which is unfair given the facts, their qualifications and personal pasts.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
That counts as a sloppy blowjob since Trump's such a rotten, cheetoy piece of poo poo.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Majorian posted:

That does make me pretty mad too, tbh. I've been watching old SNL reruns, and it's amazing how much "Donald Trump" was a byword for "the literal shittiest person on Earth" through so many sketches. And yet we seem to have forgotten that. I guess part of the reason why it works for him is because so many of us already expected him to be awful, so no one was surprised at the crazy poo poo he was saying.

So when was the last time a mainstream media source featured Benghazi craziness? Bear in mind, I'm not talking about Rudy Guiliani or whoever coming onto CNN and saying, "Well, EMAILS and also BENGHAZI and also MONICA and also WHITEWATER!!!" and then trailing off as everybody else around him rolls their eyes. I'm talking about hosts saying, "Hey, yeah, what ABOUT Benghazi? Let's have a discussion on it!" I'm talking about devoting large parts of a discussion or a full segment to it. I haven't seen anything like that for months.

Network news, CNN, MSNBC, etc. Pretty much everyone who isn't firmly in the Trump camp.

Inside the pro-Trump camp, sure, it's not. Outside of it? I don't think anybody else is all that interested. As for that CNN article, that one seems to benefit Clinton's case, so it's not exactly what I'm talking about.

That's not an "as well" question - it's all part of the same operation. The intervention led directly to the aftermath of the intervention.

Where have I heard that before...

putting aside the fact that a mainstream source allowing a crazy rear end in a top hat like Rudy to rant about benghazi absolutely does count as mainstream talking about it, multiple stories this past weekish have been about if Hillary's new released emails 'shed light on Benghazi' (they don't because there's nothing to shed light on) as if there was still some grand plot to find out about, and a good few of them ended with some big 'well nothing in THIS batch but I bet the NEXT one will have some sweet benghazi info'

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

straight up brolic posted:

There are plenty of people in the electorate who are not stupid that the emails, Benghazi, and the Clinton Foundation represent real concerns for.

If you say so, but again, if it's not swaying their votes it literally doesn't matter.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

CNN has been having a ton of fun with chyrons which is pretty un-CNN like. No one's fellating Trump, they're just trying to go equally hard on both candidates which is unfair given the facts, their qualifications and personal pasts.

When was the last time CNN brought up Trump's past refusal to rent to black people when discussing his outreach attempts?

I think calling a candidate out when they lie isn't the same as constantly repeating lies about a candidate but in the form of a question.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

If you say so, but again, if it's not swaying their votes it literally doesn't matter.
*looks at polls where Clinton's lead has evaporated after a month of intense scrutiny into these very issues because her voters are dropping out*

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Tatum Girlparts posted:

putting aside the fact that a mainstream source allowing a crazy rear end in a top hat like Rudy to rant about benghazi absolutely does count as mainstream talking about it,

But even he isn't really ranting about it on mainstream news channels. He'll bring it up occasionally, but won't pursue the point.

quote:

multiple stories this past weekish have been about if Hillary's new released emails 'shed light on Benghazi' (they don't because there's nothing to shed light on) as if there was still some grand plot to find out about, and a good few of them ended with some big 'well nothing in THIS batch but I bet the NEXT one will have some sweet benghazi info'

The only one I've seen so far is the CNN one, which is, "Hey, those idiots at Judicial Watch sued to look at the emails, and it turns out there's only one about Benghazi, and it's a letter of congratulations after the Senate hearing."

But look, even if you don't agree with me that it's largely disappeared from mainstream news sources, can you at least admit that it's considerably less of a story than it was?

Spun Dog
Sep 21, 2004

Smellrose

*Interviews a white nationalist on air*

*scratches chin*

*Asks the panel of shills to compare this to coughing *

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Majorian posted:

But even he isn't really ranting about it on mainstream news channels. He'll bring it up occasionally, but won't pursue the point.

The only one I've seen so far is the CNN one, which is, "Hey, those idiots at Judicial Watch sued to look at the emails, and it turns out there's only one about Benghazi, and it's a letter of congratulations after the Senate hearing."

The fact it brings it up at all still promotes the falsehoods.

Also the mainstream media covers the (c) poo poo without correcting Trump.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

*looks at polls where Clinton's lead has evaporated after a month of intense scrutiny into these very issues because her voters are dropping out*

Hahaha yeah that's what's happening. But let's play. In the universe where that's true, what's goatee-Hillary supposed to do about it?

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

Spun Dog posted:

*Interviews a white nationalist on air*

*scratches chin*

*Asks the panel of shills to compare this to coughing *
Yes it is dumb as hell.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

Hahaha yeah that's what's happening. But let's play. In the universe where that's true, what's goatee-Hillary supposed to do about it?
okay tell me what's happening then? Lol

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

OhFunny posted:

Darren Seals. 29-Year-Old Protest Leader Found Shot Dead in Burning Car in St. Louis.
http://abcnews.go.com/US/29-year-protest-leader-found-dead-burning-car/story?id=41915891

I haven't seen this posted yet. Anyone know more about it?

I'm sure the cops are gonna look real hard for the murderer.

Why did Hillary Clinton have him killed? Seems weird.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

okay tell me what's happening then? Lol

No no, you're the author of this sci-fi masterwork, write the next scene.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Majorian posted:

When what happens is a direct result of an inadequately-planned operation that she helped champion, yeah, I do. Do you not blame Iraq on Bush and Rumsfeld? They left office eight and ten years ago, respectively.

Jesus gently caress you're dumb.

Iraq went to poo poo while Bush and Rumsfeld were at the wheel. Libya was relatively stable given they just went through a civil war when Clinton stepped down and didn't go to poo poo until over a year later.

The better analogy would be blaming Bill for 9/11.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

It is kind of happening, actually. Trump's numbers aren't rising, but Clinton's have dipped over the past couple weeks. It's infuriating, but it's true.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

You guys are really going to hate when she wins and it turns out she intends to be the president of the whole country and not just the cool kids club. She's going to take meetings with Republicans and work together with them on things.

The last eight years has made last bit pretty hard to swallow. Republicans working with anyone is against all the stand for.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

No no, you're the author of this sci-fi masterwork, write the next scene.
I'm on mobile so this isnt going to be rigorous but just look at the polling average over time, Google trends for Benghazi, Clinton emails & foundation, and favorability levels...all correspond pretty strongly to eachother

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

A Winner is Jew posted:

Jesus gently caress you're dumb.

Iraq went to poo poo while Bush and Rumsfeld were at the wheel. Libya was relatively stable given they just went through a civil war when Clinton stepped down and didn't go to poo poo until over a year later.

Actually, Iraq was relatively quiet for several months after the initial invasion. Posters in this very forum were bullish about the country's chances of holding free and fair elections that would turn it into a bastion of democracy. Neocon goons posted photos of Iraqi women with purple smudges on their thumbs, indicating that they had voted. Things only got noticeably worse when it turned out that the rift between Sunni and Shia Iraqs was wider than Bush understood. In both cases, the initial invasion went swimmingly. It was winning the peace that neither administration had prepared for.

But please, continue to tell me how I'm dumb, when you clearly know very little about this topic.:allears:

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Majorian posted:

Actually, Iraq was relatively quiet for several months after the initial invasion. Posters in this very forum were bullish about the country's chances of holding free and fair elections that would turn it into a bastion of democracy. Neocon goons posted photos of Iraqi women with purple smudges on their thumbs, indicating that they had voted. Things only got noticeably worse when it turned out that the rift between Sunni and Shia Iraqs was wider than Bush understood. In both cases, the initial invasion went swimmingly. It was winning the peace that neither administration had prepared for.

But please, continue to tell me how I'm dumb, when you clearly know very little about this topic.:allears:

Well, if your post invasion strategy is to let a country descend into violent lawless anarchy then it seems like the invasion didn't really go well at all, unless the point was to have the country descend into violent lawless anarchy. This is like saying "The surgery went very well! Also, the patient died."

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

You were saying?

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

NippleFloss posted:

Well, if your post invasion strategy is to let a country descend into violent lawless anarchy then it seems like the invasion didn't really go well at all, unless the point was to have the country descend into violent lawless anarchy. This is like saying "The surgery went very well! Also, the patient died."

Which is precisely my point. From a narrow military standpoint, it was a success. From a broader political standpoint, it was not.

It's still an overall decline in her numbers, though. It probably won't cost her the election, but it's something her team needs to take seriously. They can't just coast into November.

Majorian fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Sep 7, 2016

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

You guys are really going to hate when she wins and it turns out she intends to be the president of the whole country and not just the cool kids club. She's going to take meetings with Republicans and work together with them on things.

I don't mind working with Republicans as long as they don't actually get anything they want, because everything they want is toxic and dangerous, or just about. I'd rather they kept doing nothing than pass almost anything in the Republican Party platform, even for concessions.

Thankfully the Republicans are too stupid and corrupt to work with anyone anymore if they don't get 100% of what they want, so we're safe in that regard.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

People's insistence in here on saying "she's going to win" when someone makes a tangential point (in my case that people care about the scandals) is so maddening.

Yeah, I agree. I'm a Hillary voter and think she's in a strong position, but her lead has shrunk from 7 to ~2 points on RCP average in the past month because American voters care about this poo poo along with other reasons.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Majorian posted:

Which is precisely my point. From a narrow military standpoint, it was a success. From a broader political standpoint, it was not.

It was not successful by any measure. We got to Baghdad really quickly...so what? All that did was precipitate supply chain and manpower problems and lead to the eventual chaos. Unless the military goal was to get bogged down in the longest and bloodiest conflict in two generations I'm not sure how it could be a success. Your viewpoint must be REALLY narrow.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Majorian posted:

If by several months you mean less than two.

May was the infamous "mission accomplished" photo.

June was the start of the insurgency, or does the US launching the first of many counterinsurgency missions not count?

vvv that will never not be funny / tragic vvv

A Winner is Jew fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Sep 7, 2016

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.

A Winner is Jew posted:

June was the start of the insurgency, or does the US launching the first of many counterinsurgency missions not count?

grover on March 18th, 2003 posted:

How long will it take to capture Baghdad? 2 days
Will Saddam be killed? Yes
Total Iraqi civillian casualties: 500 dead
Total military casualties Iraq: 3000 dead
Total military casualties U.S.: 15 dead
Will the Iraqi army regulars hold the lines? No
Will the Republican Guard fight to the end? No
Will chem/bio weapons be used on invading troops?: Yes
Will Saddam launch attacks on the Kurds? Yes
Will Saddam launch attacks on Israel? No
-If yes; will Isreal retaliate harshly? Yes
Will Saddam sacrifice Baghdad (gas/nuke it)? No
Will the Kurds make a grab for independence? Yes
Will Iran do anything silly like try for land? Yes
Will Saddam burn the oil fields? Yes
How long will the US be occupying Iraq? ~15 years
Will the Iraq war catalyze increased terrorism in America?No
In the long run, will this war be good or bad for the world? Good

Comments/Thoughts: The most difficult part will be holding Turkey and Iran back from the Kurdish territories after it's all said and done. I think most Iraqis will just surrender. Those that don't are most of the 3,000 dead. I expect hardcore troops to launch chemical attacks, but I expect them to have very limited effeciveness.

Edit- drat, I posted, then went back to read everyone else said- why are you all thinking this'll take weeks and weeks and weeks? Even if there's stiff opposition, the US will be in Baghdhad 24 hours after the first tank rolls into Iraq...

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Josef bugman posted:

No, but backing them seems like a bad policy. C.f. Saudi Arabia and the amount of arms deals they get.

International law is a large scale joke. Look at the "Act of Killing" none of the people in that movie are ever going to see the inside of a cell for what they did and we're expected to believe that Justice works on an international scale?

Spoken like a man who has never studied international law, and entirely fails to realize the principles that underlie it.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
Lol grover

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

NippleFloss posted:

It was not successful by any measure. We got to Baghdad really quickly...so what? All that did was precipitate supply chain and manpower problems and lead to the eventual chaos. Unless the military goal was to get bogged down in the longest and bloodiest conflict in two generations I'm not sure how it could be a success. Your viewpoint must be REALLY narrow.

I'm not sure why you're arguing with me here; I'm not claiming that the overall mission was a success.:confused:

A Winner is Jew posted:

There was limited violence in the months immediately following the first Libyan Civil War too, actually.:ssh: The point is, your claim that Clinton was in no ways responsible for the violence that took place after 2012 is ludicrous.

Putin It In Mah ASS
Nov 12, 2003

Omni-gel superlube is great stuff!
Also even that post was from before the invasion was even launched

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.
i mean yeah posts like that in the context of today show how spectacularly wrong those attitudes were in hindsight, and while that grover post is an extreme lowball, the rest of the thread is pretty typical of that attitudes of the time.

remember that we were still in the post-9/11 "america needs revenge" mentality, and the only real war in living memory was the first gulf war, which was very widely seen as a success and had cultivated an attitude of "america can do no wrong" on the right.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009
Oh great, Trump supports ABMs.:downsgun:

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

This day in history, USPOL 2012:"I can't explain love." - Mitt Romney

Arzy posted:

Jobs report whiffs hard! Misses by a ton.

Now Roms needs to hit the airwaves and say "look at this malaise, we still aren't adding that many jobs, I can do better".

Obama. Three years past the end of the recession and he's adding less than 100k jobs a month. Pathetic.

Get out there Romney...hammer him on this weaksauce.

ascii genitals posted:

Jesus christ Arzy.
Purestrain Arzy. Just 2717 days left on his probation!

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

How are you supposed to call out politicians who are quite deliberately and consciously adopting Goebbel's "Big Lie" tactics, then? There's no other description for what Ryan and Romney are doing.
Oh, how little we understood what was to come.

Joementum posted:

Clint Eastwood has granted his first media interview since the convention speech... to the Carmel Pine Cone.

quote:

“They vett most of the people, but I told them, ‘You can’t do that with me, because I don’t know what I’m going to say,’” Eastwood recalled.

And while the Hollywood superstar has plenty of experience being adored by crowds, he said he hasn’t given a lot of speeches and admitted that, “I really don’t know how to.” He also hates using a teleprompter, so it was settled in his mind that when he spoke to the 10,000 people in the convention hall, and the millions more watching on television, he would do it extemporaneously.

“It was supposed to be a contrast with all the scripted speeches, because I’m Joe Citizen,” Eastwood said. “I’m a movie maker, but I have the same feelings as the average guy out there.”
The convention had just passed. This year's convention feels like decades ago.

Obama posted:

"Tax cuts, tax cuts, gut some regulations — oh, and more tax cuts. Tax cuts when times are good, tax cuts when times are bad. Tax cuts to help you lose a few extra pounds. Tax cuts to improve your love life. It will cure anything, according to them."
Mass toxxing for Obama ensued as posters were dared by the likes of forums darling Boosted_C5 to put their money where their mouths were.

Axetrain posted:

Goddamn looking at that toxx list if Obama loses this forum will be some sort of post apocalyptic hellscape where only Arzy, Arkane, BoostedC5, and that other guy post.

Joementum posted:

Gary Johnson is not allowed to be on the ballot in Michigan. A judge has ruled that it would violate Michigan's "sore loser" law since Johnson ran in the Republican primary. However, all is not lost! Instead of running Gary Johnson (of New Mexico), the Libertarians may instead run Gary Johnson (of Austin, Texas) who was a delegate to the Libertarian convention and a former party official.
Dat Gary shows he was hip to fighting the system even four years ago.

And to round things out, everyone's favorite spokesperson for the "bash the hippies, gently caress hicks" crowd, SilentD, made an appearance deep in the night with some insightful words about how 90% of the country are lazy assholes.

SilentD posted:

Really, I doubt that. Correct me if I'm wrong but top 10% is just north of 100k for a household income, that's a joke. I used to clear that alone before moving to the non profit sector. Top 5% IIRC is just north of 150k per household, very easy with a dual income family.

It's the 1% and up where it gets nuts. The top 10 and 5 aren't all that better off than a few grades lower. Keep in mind it's rated as "household income" which implies dual incomes from the mother and the father. the top 1% doesn't come from "income", my sisters trust fund generates enough for her that working or not she'd be top 1% a year no matter what, to say nothing of the family assets she will get (I'm not included because my family does not pass on wealth to male children, we are expected to earn our way through, they also do not pay for college for males)

A quick look at wiki states that in 2005 top 10% is 118k for a house hold. That's not all that hard.

In case you were wondering, other than the jobs report that Arzy crowed about, it was a slow news day. It won't stay that way for long, though.

Jazerus fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Sep 8, 2016

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Oh man, its so simple, why didn't Obama just ask the generals how to defeat ISIS :doh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Majorian posted:

There was limited violence in the months immediately following the first Libyan Civil War too, actually.:ssh: The point is, your claim that Clinton was in no ways responsible for the violence that took place after 2012 is ludicrous.

Of course there was violence in the months after the fall of Qaddafi. Only an idiot would think that there would be total and immediate peace and security following a loving civil war.

You assertion that the less than two months of relative peace in Iraq post "mission accomplished" is somehow even remotely close to the almost 30 months of relative peace between civil wars in Libya is laughable in every conceivable way, but hey, keep on comparing her to republicans, I'm sure this time you'll make it stick. :thumbsup:

• Locked thread