Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Truga posted:

Joke's on you, I've had 8+ hour minecraft sessions :v:

I'd love to see if you could walk the next day after doing that in the Virtuix Omni. No Teleport allowed. :vrfrog:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God
There was a game called Jurassic Park: Trespasser where you ended up trapped on the island from the second movie and had to escape while shooting dinosaurs. What's interesting about it is that it tried very hard for a sort of early "presence." Your gun wasn't aimed at the center of your screen; you moved your hand around with your mouse and shot what the hand was pointing at. You could solve various puzzled by moving your hand around. There was no HUD; you got all information from environmental cues.

Now, Trespasser wasn't a great game. It was also terribly received due to performance issues. But, it shows you can do a full game just fine in VR, motion controlled style. I agree with the idea that right now we're in the era of "VR Pong"; games build on previous generations, and right now there aren't really enough consumers to justify huge investments of time and resources into making the best possible games. Not to mention the hardware is functional but could be improved. But all of those problems will fade in time.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah, remember when Dead Space came out? That was a big deal for having no HUD, I'm surprised more games don't match on to that since it helps immersion and simplifies things like testing different aspect ratios.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

Bremen posted:

There was a game called Jurassic Park: Trespasser where you ended up trapped on the island from the second movie and had to escape while shooting dinosaurs. What's interesting about it is that it tried very hard for a sort of early "presence." Your gun wasn't aimed at the center of your screen; you moved your hand around with your mouse and shot what the hand was pointing at. You could solve various puzzled by moving your hand around. There was no HUD; you got all information from environmental cues.

Now, Trespasser wasn't a great game. It was also terribly received due to performance issues. But, it shows you can do a full game just fine in VR, motion controlled style. I agree with the idea that right now we're in the era of "VR Pong"; games build on previous generations, and right now there aren't really enough consumers to justify huge investments of time and resources into making the best possible games. Not to mention the hardware is functional but could be improved. But all of those problems will fade in time.

I am totally on board for more VR games to incorporate health bars on boobs that's for sure.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Bremen posted:

That was such a weird game, and even more in detail for the people that never played it, you didn't just "move your hand" around, you literally had controls to twist/bend the wrist, rotate around, move your arm and hand in and out and everything. It really was like a 6DOF hand simulator more than anything else, coupled with the first real physics engine in a game requiring you to move and stack boxes and stuff, or knock things over. I remember one part where you could knock a support from under a trailer and it would all go tumbling down a hill. Far far far more ambitious of a game than should have ever been attempted back then. Give someone in 1998 a vive wand, touch, or even hydra and it would have instantly gone from the most god awful control and shooting ever in a fps, to absolutely intuitive and fantastic with no other changes.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe

Poetic Justice posted:

I define depth as things that aren't possible to do, games are an escape and doing things people can't do normally. People play as generals overseeing a battlefield, soldiers with olympics level stamina, hacking away at consoles with innate knowledge of a fake operating system etc etc.
This is a bizarrely specific definition of 'depth'. Describing a game as having depth doesn't usually have anything to do with whether it allows you to do something you can't in real life - it usually refers to a sufficiently complex & engaging game world/plot/mechanics. Even escapism doesn't have to include being able to do things you can't usually - see thousands of movies or TV shows or (more recently) games about ordinary people with no special abilities or talents (let alone superpowers).

GlyphGryph posted:

I'm confused as hell.

There's nothing you can do in the Witcher that you can't do in VR.

Are you confusing VR with First Person?

Not all VR games are first person, you don't have to play in first person to play in VR.

All of these things are super doable in VR and in fact I have done all of them now? Like, I'm really really confused as to what you're even criticizing. How would VR prevent anything you could do in a traditional video game?

VR controllers have buttons.
VR games do not need to be in first person.
Plenty of VR games already make use of these two truths - there are RTS games and TBS games and third person adventure games out already. (And let me tell you, the motion controllers in RTS/TBS games are actually super great!)

I think that adequately addresses every single one of your concerns 100%, which mostly comes down to having a fundamental misunderstanding of how motion controls work and what they are capable of and what VR actually is.

If you really want do a gesture I'm sure you can make Geralt do a twirl attack in front of you by crossing your hands, grabbing, and uncrossing (like pulling on of those rope tops) or something like that, I dunno. I imagine most people will just press the appropriate buttons.
This. For the things that don't work so well in first person or with motion controllers, there are good alternatives (3rd person, regular gamepads).

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Hey guys, those interested in The V overlay and are in the beta, want in the beta, are just interested in the beta, have a Vive and are angry but still want V (Vive support is comming soon), etc. Come chat/vent about it on the Discord channel.

Its getting better each day so definitely check it out.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

I got in, but didn't realize it didn't have Vive support. I'll try and remember to add that Discord channel. Wasn't there one for Multiplayer VR games, or was that just for Vive owners?

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

EdEddnEddy posted:

Hey guys, those interested in The V overlay and are in the beta, want in the beta, are just interested in the beta, have a Vive and are angry but still want V (Vive support is comming soon), etc. Come chat/vent about it on the Discord channel.

Is there a discord app in V? I never saw one.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Tom Guycot posted:

Is there a discord app in V? I never saw one.

There is no "app" in V currently, its just a web browser with Favorites you can customize in the V app in your taskbar. Just go to discordapp.com and login using the Web Browser button on the left, or set one of the favorites to it. Text Chat works great! (Though make sure you don't accidentally click outside of your VR game (easy to do in Elite) or the focus will be gone and you can't type.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
My brother got a Vive and it's been losing tracking in a really dramatic way, like things will fly all over the place and the Vive will literally shut itself off and reboot.

He said before it would happen every 8 seconds or so and after some tweaking of the setup he's up to 2 minutes.

He said he talked to HTC and they indicated it was maybe from a non-optimal setup; he doesn't have sunlight or mirrors there but his room is pretty small. Still that seems weird that it would actually reboot. Anyone else heard of that?

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

Zero VGS posted:

My brother got a Vive and it's been losing tracking in a really dramatic way, like things will fly all over the place and the Vive will literally shut itself off and reboot.

He said before it would happen every 8 seconds or so and after some tweaking of the setup he's up to 2 minutes.

He said he talked to HTC and they indicated it was maybe from a non-optimal setup; he doesn't have sunlight or mirrors there but his room is pretty small. Still that seems weird that it would actually reboot. Anyone else heard of that?

I had a problem where Vive would occasionally lose tracking for about 5-10 seconds, come back, then blink off twice more and be fine (for awhile, eventually doing it again). It seemed to happen when I was using the integrated microphone and sound, and had been playing for awhile; eventually thanks to a lot of google searching I turned up a problem where the Vive could overload the USB connection (particularly if you're using the front facing camera). I updated my USB drivers and viola, hasn't happened since. Dunno if that's your brother's problem, but it's something to look at. Might also try changing from a USB 2.0 port to USB 3.0 (or vice versa).

Another possibility is the base stations. If he has the steamVR window up it should pop up with an error "IE Headset lost tracking", "Basestations lost optical sync", etc. Back when I first got my Vive I had some error where after a few weeks the base stations started sometimes restarting randomly, but unplugging them and then plugging them back in somehow fixed that.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Yeah, I had that happen when I used the wrong USB port type. I don't think it supports USB 3.0, you gotta use a 2.0 port or it screws up. Also, make sure the base stations are really well hooked up and above head height (and set to the right channels) and update your firmware

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

EdEddnEddy posted:

How is your performance affected?

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

Zero VGS posted:

Does he have any windows at all in his room? I didn't have sunlight, but windows screwed with my Vive bigtime for the first two weeks before I got blackout curtains.

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
Is there an overlay equivalent for the rift extant, or in the works?

Being able to see who I am yelling at in my suddenly expanding circle of 5+ near identical sounding gaming "pals" would be useful, especially if I can overlay the discord web thing.

McGiggins fucked around with this message at 10:32 on Sep 8, 2016

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

EdEddnEddy posted:

I'd love to see if you could walk the next day after doing that in the Virtuix Omni. No Teleport allowed. :vrfrog:

Even just standing around and moving in roomscale for 8 hours is annoying. All those beds and benches in VR start to look so inviting (but aren't actually there :cry:)

But yeah, I want an omni or something similar, and will probably buy a thing when the prices are a bit lower. Teleporting around, while certainly less exhausting, feels clunky.

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

Are there any games out there using grappling hooks for movement? I made a barnacle grapple in Destinations and found it really fun to use, but I haven't seen any actual games that take advantage of grappling.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
So I bought [url="CPO 5M HDMI Extension Cable, V1.4, Gold Plated https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0027HR1M4/ref=cm_sw_r_other_apa_X-t0xbBGAVW55"]this[/url] HDMI extension for my Rift and it doesn't work - the interior LED on the headset only shows orange, not the usual white when you have something running, and it plays sound but the screens aren't on. Did I get the wrong cable somehow?
Also, for a short USB 3.0 extension for the HMD do I need an active one or regular? Am this is just to stretch an extra couple of feet so I can watch movies in bed without needing to move my PC.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Does your video card support HDMI 1.4?

GTX 970 should support up to HDMI 2.0, the Vive supports HDMI 1.4, the Rift HDMI 1.3.

Mordaedil fucked around with this message at 11:50 on Sep 8, 2016

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

For cheap digital cables, always bring out your multimeter and check that all the pins are connected correctly.

I don't remember the pinout for HDMI off hand, but I've gotten lovely DP cables where they just connected all the pins straight through.

In a straight DP-DP cable pin 1-12s should be crossed, 15-19 straight, and 13,14,20 not connected

Collateral Damage fucked around with this message at 12:25 on Sep 8, 2016

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

El Grillo posted:

So I bought this HDMI extension for my Rift and it doesn't work - the interior LED on the headset only shows orange, not the usual white when you have something running, and it plays sound but the screens aren't on. Did I get the wrong cable somehow?
Also, for a short USB 3.0 extension for the HMD do I need an active one or regular? Am this is just to stretch an extra couple of feet so I can watch movies in bed without needing to move my PC.
5 meters is probably just too long. Try 3m or shorter. As for USB, regular should be okay as long as you, again, keep the length of the extension to 3m or shorter.

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

:shoboobs:
Onward is so much fun you guys. By far my favorite game currently, including 2D games.

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon

Rectus posted:

Are there any games out there using grappling hooks for movement? I made a barnacle grapple in Destinations and found it really fun to use, but I haven't seen any actual games that take advantage of grappling.

You can craft one in subnautica now

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
You guys who've played Chronos - is there a trick to doing the shield bash thing? You're meant to be able to interrupt an enemy strike with it, but on a lot of enemies it just doesn't seem to work. Or maybe it's only when they're doing a power-strike with a long backswing?

Helter Skelter posted:

5 meters is probably just too long. Try 3m or shorter. As for USB, regular should be okay as long as you, again, keep the length of the extension to 3m or shorter.
Ah this'll be it then lol. Bugger.

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Rectus posted:

Windlands is 100% grappling simulator.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/428370/

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

El Grillo posted:

So I bought [url="CPO 5M HDMI Extension Cable, V1.4, Gold Plated https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0027HR1M4/ref=cm_sw_r_other_apa_X-t0xbBGAVW55"]this[/url] HDMI extension for my Rift and it doesn't work - the interior LED on the headset only shows orange, not the usual white when you have something running, and it plays sound but the screens aren't on. Did I get the wrong cable somehow?

I have a 10 foot HDMI extension and I think that's about the upper limit for a passive HDMI with the rift. For USB, I have a 9 foot passive USB extension that works with the headset. The camera needs an active cable though. I have a 15 foot active extension for my camera that works great.

robostac
Sep 23, 2009
Not sure how much this applies to rift, but reddit have a wiki with cables that work / don't work on the Vive.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Vive/wiki/cables

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

sliderule posted:

Windlands is 100% grappling simulator.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/428370/

Cool, going to have to buy that when it goes on sale.

Surprise Giraffe posted:

You can craft one in subnautica now

Does it work underwater? If so it sounds really fun.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

AndrewP posted:

How is your performance affected?

On my 4.6Ghz 3930K and 980Ti, it pulls down Elite on a moon surface, from 90FPS to 80FPS with Shadowplay off. With Shadowplay On, I was pulled down into the 70's. Performance Optimizations are continuing to be made though so it will always have a little penalty to performance, but its getting smaller.

In open space in Elite, it seemed to hold 90 just fine.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Rectus posted:

Cool, going to have to buy that when it goes on sale.
I didn't like it. You just want to be spiderman, but the line is too sloppy and stringy and the levels aren't really fun and you spend far too much time doing this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CpLhH6L-GVU&t=432s in fact that exact pillar is where I stopped playing!

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005
Apparently some major German store leaked out the date and price of Touch. https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/51r0yg/major_german_electronic_store_listed_oculus_touch/

Nov 21st and 199 euros before they changed it.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Bhodi posted:

I didn't like it. You just want to be spiderman, but the line is too sloppy and stringy and the levels aren't really fun and you spend far too much time doing this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CpLhH6L-GVU&t=432s in fact that exact pillar is where I stopped playing!

I enjoy it quite a bit, but yeah it's easy to screw up and lose your momentum and then it becomes a slog until you figure out how to get back on top of things. The concept is amazing though, it would fit really well into more of a speed-based race style game rather than an exploration focused one.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

GlyphGryph posted:

I enjoy it quite a bit, but yeah it's easy to screw up and lose your momentum and then it becomes a slog until you figure out how to get back on top of things. The concept is amazing though, it would fit really well into more of a speed-based race style game rather than an exploration focused one.
Yeah, where is my wingsuit pilotwings style game?!

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

El Grillo posted:

You guys who've played Chronos - is there a trick to doing the shield bash thing? You're meant to be able to interrupt an enemy strike with it, but on a lot of enemies it just doesn't seem to work. Or maybe it's only when they're doing a power-strike with a long backswing?

Ah this'll be it then lol. Bugger.

From what I could tell, the timing is unique to each attack, so you pretty much have to use trial and error to figure out the window since it's not particularly intuitive. Or it's just hard and precise. Either way, I never used it, I just used dodging and blocking.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Poetic Justice posted:

Apparently some major German store leaked out the date and price of Touch. https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/51r0yg/major_german_electronic_store_listed_oculus_touch/

Nov 21st and 199 euros before they changed it.
Neat. If that price includes VAT/other eurozone overhead like the Rift did (which seems likely), there's still a very solid chance of it coming in at/under $200 in the US and staying price-competitive with the Vive. November 21st release fits with pre-orders opening up right around Oculus Connect in early October, as well.

bringer
Oct 16, 2005

I'm out there Jerry and I'm LOVING EVERY MINUTE OF IT

Zsinjeh posted:

Onward is so much fun you guys. By far my favorite game currently, including 2D games.

It has convinced me that controller locomotion and roomscale can be very happy together. The first time you move your play space up to a corner and then carefully peak around that corner in roomscale is downright magical.

I'm currently considering making a pvc pipe rifle I'm having so much fun.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Bhodi posted:

Yeah, where is my wingsuit pilotwings style game?!

I want to say that there is an early access indie wingsuit game that added VR support. Name escapes me though.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

I want ankle trackers so I can kick things and play VR DDR, when is the Vive adding ankle trackers. Everyone I've put into it so far has tried to kick at least one thing, it's intuitive and takes you out of games when you can't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah call me when the pelvis tracker is released so that I can become truly immersed.