Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Pokemon Go is coming to Apple Watch and looks much more useful than the Plus thing. I'll actually start playing again because of it.

SeANMcBAY fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Sep 7, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Dahbadu posted:

All this talk of pidgies, and while looking through my inventory on pgnexus.gg just now saw that I got a 100% pidgy. Never seen one. Insane. So I evolve (YOLO) it and I get WA and AC. :smith:

You could have been so good!

If it's a Pidgeotto you can try evolving it again to see if it gets good moves. Unless you meant Pidgeot, in which case I'm sorry to hear that.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
When is Pokemon go plus coming out

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
I don't think IVs really matter for Pidgeot unless you really want one as a defender. Attackers don't need perfect IVs if play types correctly.

E:double negative

tap my mountain fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Sep 7, 2016

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

Reddit has helpfully advised me that I look like a "15 year old fortnite boi"

DizzyBum posted:

If it's a Pidgeotto you can try evolving it again to see if it gets good moves. Unless you meant Pidgeot, in which case I'm sorry to hear that.

Yeah, the latter.

zeldadude
Nov 24, 2004

OH SNAP!
Has anyone found any sort of Snorlax spawn pattern? Checked my logs and apparently one spawned a block or two away from me last night while I was asleep. First one I've seen in my town. I'm going to start paying close attention to that area in the hopes that he spawns nearby again. Still don't have a snorlax, dragonite OR lapras :(

Cartouche
Jan 4, 2011

Dahbadu posted:

All this talk of pidgies, and while looking through my inventory on pgnexus.gg just now saw that I got a 100% pidgy. Never seen one. Insane. So I evolve (YOLO) it and I get WA and AC. :smith:

You could have been so good!

Same just happened to my 91% I posted earlier.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!

zeldadude posted:

Has anyone found any sort of Snorlax spawn pattern? Checked my logs and apparently one spawned a block or two away from me last night while I was asleep. First one I've seen in my town. I'm going to start paying close attention to that area in the hopes that he spawns nearby again. Still don't have a snorlax, dragonite OR lapras :(

There were two days last week where Snorlax spawned around 10pm at a cul-de-sac nearby. Haven't seen one since, but a Chansey did spawn there yesterday in the afternoon.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

So is Cloyster more common than some of the other final evolutions? If I'd had to make a list I say it's something like Raticate, Pidgeot, Beedrill, Fearow, Golbat, Butterfree, Parasect, Venomoth and then Cloyster (with Hypno right after it). I'm curious if it's just some local luck or it shows up at a surprising rate for others as well.

Not that I'm complaining, even tho it did make it awkward to pick a Cloyster and stick with it for power-ups (I was lucky enough that most of them had Blizzard as their special attack). Between that and the Dewgong I evolved, dealing with Dragonites has gotten a lot easier.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Sep 7, 2016

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Hey guys! I'm having a good time, what about you?

Mierenneuker posted:

So is Cloyster more common than some of the other final evolutions? If I'd had to make a list I say it's something like Raticate, Pidgeot, Beedrill, Fearow, Golbat, Butterfree, Parasect, Venomoth and then Cloyster (with Hypno right after it). I'm curious if it's just some local luck or it shows up at a surprising rate for others as well.

Not that I'm complaining, even tho it did make it awkward to pick a Cloyster and stick with it for power-ups (I was lucky enough that most of them had Blizzard as their special attack). Between that and the Dewgong I evolved, dealing with Dragonites has gotten a lot easier.

It is absolutely regional. I've seen maybe 1 Shellder, 1 Drowzee, and 0 Seel, and that was when I made the effort to drive to the beach.

On the flipside, I have basically unlimited Arcanine, Machamp, Marowak, and Rhydon.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

zeldadude posted:

How do you check "logs" of what spawned?

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
How will the new Apple Watch make me a better Pokemon master?

slicing up eyeballs
Oct 19, 2005

I got me two olives and a couple of limes

Elephanthead posted:

How will the new Apple Watch make me a better Pokemon master?

You'll be able to move much faster once you're 400 dollars lighter

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Mierenneuker posted:

It's definitely regional, and also based on general "biomes".

I've found and caught several Shellder, Krabby, and Magikarp at the beach. I came home, and I haven't seen a single Shellder pop out of any rivers, ponds, or lakes nearby. Plenty of Slowpoke, Goldeen, and Psyduck, though.

The game even seems to recognize there's a large fountain outside my office and will spawn water-types there, especially Staryu. (I'm wondering if it's because there's a Pokestop for it and it's got the word "fountain" in the title, or if it's purely from map data.)

I wish Shellder was more common around here. Cloyster is one of my favorite Pokemon and it's a good Dragonite killer.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
My god...

I noticed that I was still holding a gym overnight when I passed it on the way back to work. Set a timer for 7 hours to see if I could get the Pokecoins again for holding it for 21 hours. Timer goes off, check the app, 30 seconds left on my timer. My Snorlax is still shown as at the gym. Great! Countdown, timer reaches zero.... "You need to assign a Pokemon to a Gym to be eligible for a Defender bonus."

WTF? Did someone seriously just take over my gym during those 30 seconds right before I went to cash out coins again?

zeldadude
Nov 24, 2004

OH SNAP!

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

How do you check "logs" of what spawned?

With the Pokemon Go Live Map desktop scanner. I leave it scanning my neighborhood overnight, and it keeps track of every single pokemon that spawns. Almost got a dragonite thanks to it just now, sadly I was about 30 seconds too late :(

They definitely upped the rare spawn rate again, at least it seems that way to me. Up until a week ago the best thing that ever spawned nearby was fearow and poo poo like that, but in the past two days Snorlax and dragonite have shown up, plus just now there were two dewgongs up in my neighborhood at the same time. Never seen one before!

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

zeldadude posted:

With the Pokemon Go Live Map desktop scanner.

Do you have a link? I'm getting a million hits on google. Would love to see my neighborhood pop out anything but rats, pidgeys, and snakes.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

zeldadude posted:

With the Pokemon Go Live Map desktop scanner. I leave it scanning my neighborhood overnight, and it keeps track of every single pokemon that spawns. Almost got a dragonite thanks to it just now, sadly I was about 30 seconds too late :(

Have they updated the scanner in any way so that whatever throwaway account you use isn't banned in a day?

Acaila
Jan 2, 2011

Just caught my first Lapras on the way back from the store :D Total luck, totally delighted.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
The scanner I'm using is using a google account instead of PTC.
I think this is it
https://github.com/mchristopher/PokemonGo-DesktopMap

zeldadude
Nov 24, 2004

OH SNAP!

Dr Tran posted:

The scanner I'm using is using a google account instead of PTC.
I think this is it
https://github.com/mchristopher/PokemonGo-DesktopMap

That's the ticket. I'm scanning with 4 throwaway Google accounts right now and I think only one of them has been banned, I've been running it non-stop for a few weeks now.

Would be interested to hear if anyone else is getting a lot more rares, it certainly feels like Niantic made a big change with the spawn rates.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
I feel like they have, but that could be confirmation bias.

The Phantom Ghost
Feb 28, 2007

hold on what kind of fighting robot is he again
Finally hatched a psyduck with good IVs and evolved it to a water gun / psychic golduck. Could be worse? I just really like Golduck

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
Saw a Snorlax on the radar.

Put on pants, headed outside to where the Normal types usually spawn.

Found it.

Threw an ultra+razz with a Great throw. Aaand it runs after the first one.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Is there confirmation that berries actually do a drat thing? The way the description is written, it might just reduce the frequency that they attack and jump.

Cartouche
Jan 4, 2011

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Is there confirmation that berries actually do a drat thing? The way the description is written, it might just reduce the frequency that they attack and jump.

I have had them change the color of the circle. That said I still have no experience that supports the idea that anything you do beyond hitting the pokemon or not has the slightest bearing on if they are caught or not.

Eyochigan
Dec 13, 2006

It's not rape unless I explicitly see it!
In my experience, I get a great or excellent curve/razz on the first few throws, and they break out. And then I mess it up and get a nice with the biggest possible circle, and they capture anyway. Still think it feels as if the chance goes up when you throw more balls, as if the success rate was tied into a progress bar, reducing the failure range.

Pidgeys and Rattatas in the 200 range frequently say no to my excellents and greats when they happen. If they don't run away, I usually get them on the next ball. Totes anecdotes, played enough WoW to know that rolling <30/100 is the norm.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Supposedly they reduce the rate at which pokemon flee. They don't make captures easier and they certainly don't change the color of the ring.

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

Got a 15/15/15 Dratini. Had to power it up once to find the true stats.

Powering it up raised it to 13cp. Woo

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Broseph Brostar posted:

Supposedly they reduce the rate at which pokemon flee. They don't make captures easier and they certainly don't change the color of the ring.

I had like 7 flee yesterday in a row with a combination of Pidgeys and Ratattas and such. Everything has been taking 3 Pokeballs to capture recently too.

ExplodingSquid
Aug 11, 2008

I have a 100% IV Gastly... Is there a particular move set I'll need for Gengar to be the perfect poke? I've not seen too much around before so have nothing to base it off.

Fusion Restaurant
May 20, 2015

ExplodingSquid posted:

I have a 100% IV Gastly... Is there a particular move set I'll need for Gengar to be the perfect poke? I've not seen too much around before so have nothing to base it off.

A move which makes it a better Pokemon. Gengar just isn't good in Go since it relied on speed.

Eikre
May 2, 2009

Broseph Brostar posted:

I don't think IVs really matter for Pidgeot unless you really want one as a defender. Attackers don't need perfect IVs if play types correctly.

E:double negative

Nothing needs IVs unless you're upgrading it with stardust, which should make it applicable to, like, four of your Pokemon.

They would also be relevant if you were trying to manipulate CP misrepresentation to get more prestige out of gyms, but in that case "perfect" IVs would include a 0 in Attack, which I absolutely never see people striving for.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

It doesn't matter in the end because I just discovered that Pidgeot is actually hot garbage against Exeggutor. It can barely beat one with a bad moveset, I can't imagine how it'd fair against one with a good moveset.

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

Tom Gorman posted:

Got a 15/15/15 Dratini. Had to power it up once to find the true stats.

Powering it up raised it to 13cp. Woo

If it's 100% you should have been able to tell by the appraisal. Also I'd recommend PokeGenie. You don't have to log in or anything it just reads your screenshots. There's still some margin of error but if you input the appraisal info it should be accurate.

Broseph Brostar posted:

It doesn't matter in the end because I just discovered that Pidgeot is actually hot garbage against Exeggutor. It can barely beat one with a bad moveset, I can't imagine how it'd fair against one with a good moveset.

The moveset makes all the difference, Wing Attack/Hurricane will rip through those egg trees as long as you dodge the charge attacks. Hurricane is the only Pidgeot charge move worth a drat and steel wing is too slow and lacks STAB. Pidgeot is one of those pokemon that lives and dies by it's moveset. See also: Pinsir, Gyarados.

Shifty Pony posted:

Sorry it came out dumb. Spamming Wing Attack is actually pretty drat effective and makes dodging easy so keep it around if you aren't super pressed for space.

A bunch of these were linked to a google drive on Reddit and I thought they were neat but drive is annoying so I made an imgur album

Stupid y axes aren't the same though

Thanks for this.That's actually really helpful.

Cartouche
Jan 4, 2011

Broseph Brostar posted:

Maybe you are incorrect.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

Yeah mine has Wing Attack and Hurricane and its a shitmon. My Arcanine with Bulldoze does better against Exeggutors than that shitbird.

Sebadoh Gigante posted:

See also: Pinsir, Gyarados.

those are awful too btw

tap my mountain fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Sep 8, 2016

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

Broseph Brostar posted:

Yeah mine has Wing Attack and Hurricane and its a shitmon. My Arcanine with Bulldoze does better against Exeggutors than that shitbird.

BEEP BOOP DOES NOT COMPUTE

Are you not dodging at all?

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Arcanine has a much higher attack so the damage difference is less than the charts indicate (~1.35x higher damage for Arcanine vs Pidgeot). Also it has slightly more health to tank the incoming attacks.

What I really like about Pidgeot is that the attacks really lend themselves to dodging. One-two-three-dodge, one-two-three-dodge, etc. you can also usually dodge a special, fire off hurricane, and still be able to dodge the next fast attack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HATECUBE
Mar 2, 2007

i just beat the gently caress out of an eggtree at 16xx with a rapidash at 14xx for the pro train. switched to a 16x-5 nidoqueen with poison and bug because god drat did you know bug does 4x to eggtrees?

hold on poo poo scanner says squirtle

someone asked about the type advantage calculator, its http://exar.ch/pokemon/ consult poquran erday, habibi

HATECUBE fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Sep 8, 2016

• Locked thread