Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Humpback whales have officially been taken off the endangered species list as of this week.

So we at least won't have to deal with that in 270 years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Gonz posted:

Humpback whales have officially been taken off the endangered species list as of this week.

So we at least won't have to deal with that in 270 years.

Cue Star Trek fans hunting them in droves to keep things canonical.

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

It still amuses me just how pessimistic Trek has been about the (then) near future. We were supposed to have had the Eugenics Wars and wiped out the whales by now. Sanctuary Districts, World War 3, and the Post-atomic horror are just around the corner. It's also surprising that our computing advances weren't slowed down more when the Voyager crew took that time ship away from that one dude.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
For Enterprise, I'd recommend Minefield/Dead Stop and Impulse.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Duckbag posted:

It still amuses me just how pessimistic Trek has been about the (then) near future. We were supposed to have had the Eugenics Wars and wiped out the whales by now. Sanctuary Districts, World War 3, and the Post-atomic horror are just around the corner. It's also surprising that our computing advances weren't slowed down more when the Voyager crew took that time ship away from that one dude.
It almost feels like they should revise the horror of Earth's upcoming period. Say, make it marked by mass unemployment and climate change side effects, which the Vulcans help us out with on the grounds of "Have you considered redistributing wealth?" and, IDK, space rays.

revise, not revive

Nessus fucked around with this message at 10:22 on Sep 7, 2016

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Sanctuary Districts aren't until the 2020s. Between now and then we'll also be calling this "The Net".

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Transparent Aluminum is also a thing, now.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aluminium_oxynitride

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Gonz posted:

Transparent Aluminum is also a thing, now.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aluminium_oxynitride

https://youtu.be/UfWMBxuA_Jw

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Duckbag posted:

We're about to elect either Trump or Hillary, so there's plenty of chance to get back on track.

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

Two decades later, and I still can't decide if Benny Russell's freakout is brilliant pathos or shameless scenery chewing. There's something about it that's almost... Shatnerian. Man, Avery Brooks is the best.

It's too bad the next season had to have Sisko's ghost mom says it was all just the Pah Wraiths loving with him. I get that they thought some explanation was in order, but they could have left it more ambiguous. They didn't have to cheapen it that way.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Duckbag posted:

Two decades later, and I still can't decide if Benny Russell's freakout is brilliant pathos or shameless scenery chewing. There's something about it that's almost... Shatnerian. Man, Avery Brooks is the best.

It's too bad the next season had to have Sisko's ghost mom says it was all just the Pah Wraiths loving with him. I get that they thought some explanation was in order, but they could have left it more ambiguous. They didn't have to cheapen it that way.

I didn't feel like the explanation cheapened it, because while it was the Pah Wraiths the second time Sisko hallucinates, that's a different circumstance--and it suggests that SIsko and Benny ARE linked through time, possibly via a sort of reincarnation that DS9 toyed with.

It's really just a take on that story about a man who dreamt he was a butterfly...or was it a butterfly who dreamt he was a man?

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

I always interpreted it as saying that both sets of visions were Pah Wraith deceptions. It's not clear if Benny Russell was a real person or not, but either way, Sisko's experiences seem a little less special when you know they were given to him by sinister space demons to make him go mad.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
Yet another example of why the Pah Wraiths were a terrible idea that should have stayed a one-off "Make O'Brien Suffer" idea.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.
Nope. The Pah Wraits and the Prophets are all part of the same setting, and all of that is from Benny's imagination. All of DS9, and therefore all of Trek, is from Benny's imagination. "Far Beyond the Stars" is too good not to be the real story. :colbert:

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

So you're saying that Benny Russell wrote himself into the story in the most convoluted way possible? Maybe he is a real scifi writer.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
My interpretation is that Sisko may be less human than he thinks, and due to possibly millennia of genetic manipulation and immaculate conceptions, the Prophets created their Emissary, a being who exists in non-linear time, but experiences it linearly. Benny Russell is just the incarnation we see, but I'd wager that the Sisko goes even further back, and that in every era the Sisko appears in a new name. Each time he gets closer and closer to being able to accomplish their goals, but since he can't transcend his linear time-line, he's stuck reliving these various lives until at last he is born into a position capable of making contact with the Wormhole.

You could actually even take it further--since the Prophets have now been seen to have effect on Earth and its peoples, maybe all of OUR religions were as similarly inspired as Bajor's was. The Ark of the Covenant could have stored an orb. They could have appeared in visions to Joshua Sisko, who'd be later known as Jesus...

...okay, I'll stop there.

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

...and that's why I hate the whole ghost mom plot.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Duckbag posted:

...and that's why I hate the whole ghost mom plot.

But enough about Bioshock Infinite! :rimshot:

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

I choose to interpret the ghost mom stuff as Sisko only became part prophet at that time, because the aliens existing outside of time can do that if they want.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

8-Bit Scholar posted:

My interpretation is that Sisko may be less human than he thinks, and due to possibly millennia of genetic manipulation and immaculate conceptions, the Prophets created their Emissary, a being who exists in non-linear time, but experiences it linearly. Benny Russell is just the incarnation we see, but I'd wager that the Sisko goes even further back, and that in every era the Sisko appears in a new name. Each time he gets closer and closer to being able to accomplish their goals, but since he can't transcend his linear time-line, he's stuck reliving these various lives until at last he is born into a position capable of making contact with the Wormhole.

You could actually even take it further--since the Prophets have now been seen to have effect on Earth and its peoples, maybe all of OUR religions were as similarly inspired as Bajor's was. The Ark of the Covenant could have stored an orb. They could have appeared in visions to Joshua Sisko, who'd be later known as Jesus...

...okay, I'll stop there.

This would explain why Gabriel Bell is the Sisko and it didn't alter the timeline one single bit. Gabriel Bell was always the Sisko.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Duckbag posted:

Oh yeah I love Spock's Brain on a lot of levels, but TOS's reputation for extreme cheesiness scares off a lot of newcomers, so it's best to ween them in gradually. Incidentally, I know it's a little hypocritical given some of the stuff that did make my list, but I'm not sure about Arena and Devil in the Dark as TOS introductions. The lizard suit and homemade cannon in Arena and the practically endless redshirt massacre (plus glowing plastic Horta) in Devil are so patently ridiculous that it's kind of hard to say, "no, seriously this is smart, thoughtful scifi" afterward, even though it is. The Changeling is likewise a classic, but a bottle episode where a robot thinking machine flies around killing the world's stupidest security officers (and mind wiping Uhura) while shouting "faulty!" might be a little much for people. I skipped over most of the Kirk In Love and Planet of Hats episodes for the same reason.

Depending on the person, it can work to deliberately start on a comedy episode like A Piece Of The Action. You get a good sense of the characters, but because the plot's already got you laughing, it's not as jarring to also have a chuckle at the overall aesthetic. By the end of the episode, you've been able to have fun with the characters, so you'll be able to get invested and pay attention to them better when you move on to a more serious episode.

That's my opinion, anyway, since I managed to get one person hooked on TOS with that episode. But I wouldn't do that with everyone.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Mulaney Power Move posted:

actually if they cut out the duplicate voyager part to that one episode and ended it with harry beaming himself into the sun so the alien bastards can't steal his pancreas, then i think that would have been a good end to the series.

WickedHate posted:

Voyager would have been a lot better if it was a sitcom.

This just made me wonder if you could swap out the character names from Sealab 2021 episodes and see if people could tell.

• "Happycake" - Janeway complains about her stolen Happy Cake oven, while Paris shows off his mountain fortress.
  • "Chickmate" - Torres' "biological clock" goes off, and she tries to find a crewmember that would make a good father for her as-yet-unconceived baby.
  • "Lost in Time" - While receiving unlicensed cable feeds for Captain Janeway, The Doctor and Kim are caught in a 15-minute time warp as Voyager continually blows up.
  • "Legend of Baggy Pants" - After trying to start a game of golf next to the reactor core (and turning Kim into Monster Kim in the process), Janeway goes looking for the pro shop — and gets thoroughly lost in the process.
  • "Kathryn Kath and the Feng Shui Bunch" - Janeway is sold on redecorating the station according to feng shui rules, but Chakotay distrusts the guy doing the selling. A showdown between the decorator and Tuvok at the end of the episode reveals that the events of the episode in fact take place in a holodeck program played by Commander Riker during the Star Trek: The Next Generation episode "The Pegasus".

Oh, wait...

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Depending on the person, it can work to deliberately start on a comedy episode like A Piece Of The Action. You get a good sense of the characters, but because the plot's already got you laughing, it's not as jarring to also have a chuckle at the overall aesthetic. By the end of the episode, you've been able to have fun with the characters, so you'll be able to get invested and pay attention to them better when you move on to a more serious episode.

That's my opinion, anyway, since I managed to get one person hooked on TOS with that episode. But I wouldn't do that with everyone.

I kind of agree with this. My first Trek episode was Shore Leave

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice
On to TOS during my chronological rewatch - Remastered Version. Is there a reason there's discrepancies on the Enterprise CG model in the same episode? I'm on "Where No Man Has Gone Before". In the opening credits, the front of the nacelles is a deep red and has a pointy antenna looking thing on them, but then right afterward as the ship does flybyes between names they're the normal orange without point.

They're red with the point in the opening shot of the episode also. Seems a weird thing to miss when doing a full redo of the ship model, as they'd have to have rendered two different ones.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
The model was different for The Cage and WNMHGB, but the intro was done with the normal model.

Cage/Where No Man..

The Man Trap onwards

IIRC, the only significant changes are the nacelle caps, the ends of the nacelles, and the top portion of the bridge.

Big Mean Jerk fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Sep 7, 2016

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice
Ah. So is the intro for WNMHGB CG that replicated the original models despite 99% of the show run using the other nacelles or did they not redo the ship for the episode intros?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Mortanis posted:

Ah. So is the intro for WNMHGB CG that replicated the original models despite 99% of the show run using the other nacelles or did they not redo the ship for the episode intros?

Pretty sure they only did one version of the intro. I don't think the TOS remastered project was particularly well-budgeted. They also did the episodes in a "fan favorite" order instead of season order and some of the earlier CG looks pretty rough, so you have these weird instances where mediocre to bad episodes look way better than stuff like Balance of Terror. They didn't really start to fine-tune things until the 8th or 9th episode that aired.

Allen_Aldo
Jul 8, 2013
I just watched the Ds9 episode where Troi's mom spreads a love mind virus among the crew. It was better than I remembered.

When Odo stumbles on Bashir and Kira making out, I wish he would have turned his arm into a giant knife a l la T-1000. What a missed opportunity.

I mean, I would have done that if I was a shapeshifter and that nerd moved in my dream lady.

RaspberrySea
Nov 29, 2004
I completely forgot Lwaxana had a son as a senior citizen and then married Odo. I hope they remembered to get that divorce.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Another thing that bugged me about the first Worf episode of DS9 -- while they are preparing for the fight with the Klingons, there's that exchange where Odo tries to post a security detail in sickbay and Bashir is all like "hey that would violate the hippocratic oath putty man" to which Odo replies "you know the klingons will just murder you and your patients," anyway cut to later and a Klingon is about to bash Odo in the head with his sword and Bashir shoots him in the back...so can you stab a Changeling to death or give them the old Kirk treatment and beat him up with a pipe? What's the deal there?

Oh and what was the deal with Odo never using phasers, was it about "justice" or something?

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
Odo is spec'd completely for melee, ranged weapons would be an inefficient waste, all his other skill points and perks are focused on detective and security training.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

He would look pretty obvious with a phaser. Just a glass on Quark's bar with this huge Bajoran pistol stuck to it, nothing to see here!

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
What if Odo could change into a phaser? Someone shoots a guy and then odo just oozes out of the hole and makes his way back to his phaser self.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

He would look pretty obvious with a phaser. Just a glass on Quark's bar with this huge Bajoran pistol stuck to it, nothing to see here!

Somebody draw this comic. I would, if I could draw.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Another thing that bugged me about the first Worf episode of DS9 -- while they are preparing for the fight with the Klingons, there's that exchange where Odo tries to post a security detail in sickbay and Bashir is all like "hey that would violate the hippocratic oath putty man" to which Odo replies "you know the klingons will just murder you and your patients," anyway cut to later and a Klingon is about to bash Odo in the head with his sword and Bashir shoots him in the back...so can you stab a Changeling to death or give them the old Kirk treatment and beat him up with a pipe? What's the deal there?

Oh and what was the deal with Odo never using phasers, was it about "justice" or something?
It seems like you can blast and bludgeon changelings fairly well once you know they're there, they're not completely invincible especially if they're in a "quasi Bajoran" form vs, I don't know, "duranium brick." I imagine stabbing Odo would be kind of pointless though. You'd hurt him but a few holes in his torso wouldn't mean anything.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

I am pretty sure Odo was knock unconscious from a blow to the head at least once, and I don't think it was during the period he was a solid.

RaspberrySea
Nov 29, 2004
Odo had a mace thrown completely through his face in the first episode, so a sword ain't gonna do poo poo to him.

But yeah, a rock'll knock him out.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:
Remember that when Odo, or any other changeling, takes the time to shapeshift properly they show up on scanners as whatever they're mimicking. Also recall that a phaser sweep (presumably on stun, since it doesn't seem to damage anything else in the room) can disrupt a changeling's shapeshifting abilities. Consequently, I think that if you caught Odo by surprise you could incapacitate him, but you probably wouldn't be able to kill him with anything short of a powerful energy beam or a blast.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah, Changelings apparently become "solid" when they take that form, given that Odo apparently CAN have actual sex, which was for the first few seasons kind of implied to not be something he could do. In fact, I kind of questioned his whole relationship with Kira for that reason--I was pleasantly surprised when they made mention of the fact that he couldn't impregnate her, a nice attention to the detail that it makes no sense for every alien species in Star Trek to be able to...ah...cross-pollinate.

It's a hazy area best left to your imaginations, but Odo's sex life is low on my list of "things to discuss in great detail" about DS9.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

The model was different for The Cage and WNMHGB, but the intro was done with the normal model.

Cage/Where No Man..

The Man Trap onwards

IIRC, the only significant changes are the nacelle caps, the ends of the nacelles, and the top portion of the bridge.

They also shrunk the deflector dish a bit.