Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!

Hellsau posted:

Did you do that in allchat or teamchat? It is suicide to give correct advice in teamchat.

Teamchat, I know, I need to follow your advice more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Blindeye posted:

Teamchat, I know, I need to follow your advice more.

You really should, it's loving amazing winning a game where the enemy calls you an idiot for saying they should go west on Pilsen, and they go east and your team listens and goes west and loving annihilates the dumb fucks trying to play the long-range game from the east.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Someone get TheFluff in here. He's got that poo poo on lockdown.

I'm here but writing is :effort:

:(

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
The SU-152 that never was: ZIK-20

Queue:
Object 268 and Object 282

Available for request:

:911:
T2E1 Light Tank
Christie Combat Car T1 and Convertible Medium Tank T3
M3A1
Combat Car T4

:britain:
Medium Tank Mk.II

:ussr:
LTP
T-37 with ShKAS
ZIK-20
T-12 and T-24
T-55
HTZ-16

:sweden:
Otto Merker's tanks
L-60 NEW

:poland:
7TP
TK-3/TKS
Trials of the TKS and C2P in the USSR

:japan:
SR tanks
Type 95

:france:
Renault NC
Renault D1
Renault R35
Renault D2
Renault R40

:godwin:
PzII Ausf. a though b NEW
PzIII Ausf. A
PzIII Ausf. B through D NEW
PzIV Ausf. A through C NEW
Renault R35 in German service
37 mm Pak

:eurovision:
TACAM T-60

Ensign Expendable fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Sep 7, 2016

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Ensign Expendable posted:

Available for request:
:ussr:
Object 268 and Object 282 NEW

Is the Object 282 the broken as gently caress possible CW reward that went on supertest like two years ago? Do that one.

Squish
Nov 22, 2007

Unrelenting.
Lipstick Apathy

Hellsau posted:

Naw the pubbie safari into a team battle with the redneck guy talking about how he shoots people who run over the boxes in spawn was pretty great.

No way...

I've been starting a thing where "it's bad mojo to Squish your own boxes at base". Surely this isn't catching on?

I do very much like to taunt the enemy when we're capping with stuff like "Nice boxes you have here, it'd be a shame to er ... squish them. Hehehe". People get irrationally mad over that too.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

The World of Tanks booth at PAX West over the weekend, was just an actual World War II tank outside of the convention running over stuff.

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

The only sword wielding rabbit on the internet

Ultra Carp
Anyone want to see more anime tanks?

IndianaZoidberg
Aug 21, 2011

My name isnt slick, its Zoidberg. JOHN F***ING ZOIDBERG!
A buddy of mine was telling me something that happened in WoT and I was hoping there is a video floating around of it. He was saying a single tier 1 tank was left underneath an arch in the spawn, then the spawn was then blocked off by all routes with Maus tanks so that nobody could get to the last little tank in the arch. It was a clan wars defense, and they would win if the timer ran out. Wargaming had to hotfix it because it broke that map.

Does anyone by any chance have a video of that because I would love to see it happen.

KaiserSchnitzel
Feb 23, 2003

Hey baby I think we Havel lot in common
Is the KV4 even any fun? I've got a bunch of free XP and I can totally skip it. I've got a good crew that would just go to waste in a slow tank with no mobility and mediocre firepower that would have more effect in an ST-I. I just don't see that the KV-4 even has any relevance with the current state of the game; it seems like it would just be a waste of time when I've got an IS-3, IS-3A, KV-5, IS-6, etc...

The only other place I'd want to spend that free XP is skipping the Panther II, but my German medium crew isn't as good as that Russian heavy crew sitting idle in the KV-4. Or is the KV-4 fun and I'm just missing the point? I dunno; you tell me.

KaiserSchnitzel
Feb 23, 2003

no

edit: j/k: as much as I hate anime, Valkyria Chronicles was a very fun game with satisfying strategy elements. I was able to overlook the ridiculous anime which, at least in this case, did not involve highly inappropriate lolicon poo poo.

KaiserSchnitzel fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Sep 7, 2016

Steelion
Aug 2, 2009
The game was already a not-too-subtle WW2 analogy, so it's not terribly surprising tbh.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

KaiserSchnitzel posted:

Is the KV4 even any fun? I've got a bunch of free XP and I can totally skip it. I've got a good crew that would just go to waste in a slow tank with no mobility and mediocre firepower that would have more effect in an ST-I. I just don't see that the KV-4 even has any relevance with the current state of the game; it seems like it would just be a waste of time when I've got an IS-3, IS-3A, KV-5, IS-6, etc...

The only other place I'd want to spend that free XP is skipping the Panther II, but my German medium crew isn't as good as that Russian heavy crew sitting idle in the KV-4. Or is the KV-4 fun and I'm just missing the point? I dunno; you tell me.

The KV-4 is loving terrible in comparison to the IS-3. The KV-4 is still not worth skipping, though. There are vastly worse tanks in the game.

I hated playing the KV-4 because it was so laughably terrible compared to the IS-3. That loving turret is useless to every pubbie with 200 pen who just feels like snapshotting at you.

e: also the E-50 and ST-I need a substantial amount of free XP to be playable, like almost every tier 9.

primelaw
Apr 4, 2012

The most southern dandy robot judge

IndianaZoidberg posted:

A buddy of mine was telling me something that happened in WoT and I was hoping there is a video floating around of it. He was saying a single tier 1 tank was left underneath an arch in the spawn, then the spawn was then blocked off by all routes with Maus tanks so that nobody could get to the last little tank in the arch. It was a clan wars defense, and they would win if the timer ran out. Wargaming had to hotfix it because it broke that map.

Does anyone by any chance have a video of that because I would love to see it happen.

It wasn't a tier 1 but

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wUPLNU5YfD8

Creamed Cormp
Jan 8, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

deliver me from evil

Truck Stop Daddy
Apr 17, 2013

A janitor cleans the bathroom

Muldoon
Dear witchfetish,
have you considered becoming a better player? :•)

Much love,
Torb

Creamed Cormp
Jan 8, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Dear Torb

Ask ur mum lmao

Much love,
WitchFetish

Truck Stop Daddy
Apr 17, 2013

A janitor cleans the bathroom

Muldoon

WitchFetish posted:

Dear Torb

Ask ur mum lmao

Much love,
WitchFetish

Awooga!! :000

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
Anyone have any tips for playing the Soviet T-28 beyond "don't" or "as little as possible on the way to the heavies"? I am just pathetically bad with it and can never figure out what to do. I've only played like 600 games so my general grasp of strategy and map awareness is just hilariously bad but it is hilariously bad x 10 with that thing. I'm almost through it to the KV-1 so my (and my teammates) suffering is nearly over, but I can't figure out what to do with it.

I think it's at least partially because I didn't want to spend any experience on the unessential guns but none of them seemed totally compelling over the stock one. Hindsight shows that as a mistake because it's a peashooter, but I'm still unconvinced that my experience would have been more enjoyable or quicker should I have changed that. I also don't think I take near enough advantage of the maneuverability/speed of the tank, which seems like it's only actual advantage.

Valle
Apr 16, 2004

Telling customers how to solve world problems since 2001
The stock gun will generally leave you hating playing with near enough every tank. So yeah, sticking to that was a bad idea. Get the 57mm ZiS-4 on it, and try to keep distance between you and everything else. You have poo poo for armor, but the 57mm is accurate and fast-firing, and the tank itself moves at a decent clip when upgraded so you can flank stuff and machinegun the crap out of it. Try to let someone else get shot at, and if the enemy guns turn to you hide around a corner/hill until they're pointed at someone else.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
Yeah, that all seems very true. I found this wot forum thread that echoes those sentiments: http://forum.worldoftanks.com/index.php?/topic/268744-help-how-to-play-t-28/#topmost

I might keep it around after I'm on to the KV-1 to try and play it differently with the 57mm ZIS-4. Looks like I've just been playing it 100% wrong. Not surprising.

KaiserSchnitzel
Feb 23, 2003

Hellsau posted:

The KV-4 is loving terrible in comparison to the IS-3. The KV-4 is still not worth skipping, though. There are vastly worse tanks in the game.

I hated playing the KV-4 because it was so laughably terrible compared to the IS-3. That loving turret is useless to every pubbie with 200 pen who just feels like snapshotting at you.

e: also the E-50 and ST-I need a substantial amount of free XP to be playable, like almost every tier 9.

Yeah, but I got dat freexp.

I'll give that KV4 a shot for a few weeks, though...sometimes I can find some sort of perverse pleasure in a ridiculous tank, and the KV4 has ridiculous written all over it.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

KaiserSchnitzel posted:

Yeah, but I got dat freexp.

I'll give that KV4 a shot for a few weeks, though...sometimes I can find some sort of perverse pleasure in a ridiculous tank, and the KV4 has ridiculous written all over it.

if by ridiculous, you mean ridiculously poorly armored and giant with a mediocre gun and mobility in exchange for 200 extra HP, yeah i guess

KaiserSchnitzel
Feb 23, 2003

Barry posted:

Anyone have any tips for playing the Soviet T-28 beyond "don't" or "as little as possible on the way to the heavies"? I am just pathetically bad with it and can never figure out what to do. I've only played like 600 games so my general grasp of strategy and map awareness is just hilariously bad but it is hilariously bad x 10 with that thing. I'm almost through it to the KV-1 so my (and my teammates) suffering is nearly over, but I can't figure out what to do with it.

I think it's at least partially because I didn't want to spend any experience on the unessential guns but none of them seemed totally compelling over the stock one. Hindsight shows that as a mistake because it's a peashooter, but I'm still unconvinced that my experience would have been more enjoyable or quicker should I have changed that. I also don't think I take near enough advantage of the maneuverability/speed of the tank, which seems like it's only actual advantage.

This was the first tank Hellsau ever TKed me in.

It's hard because it's huge; if it was a normal size tank it would be average with a decent gun for tier 4. The huge is a problem because it's also kind of fast, which means you get Hellcat syndrome while driving it. Your armor doesn't bounce poo poo, you can't turn for poo poo, and you're really not accurate enough to play as a retarded sniper. On top of that, tier 4 is terrible to play in unless you are in one of the OP tier 4 tanks.

So...don't feel too bad about it. It's like the M3 Lee in that some folks say "It's great if [X]," where [X] is something a new player wouldn't know crap about. The only advice I can give is a) don't go anywhere alone / don't make yourself a target; b) stay in low ground if possible; c) don't think that it's a heavy just because it looks like it should be; and d) never look back once you get the KV1, because at that point you are about to enter the "golden phase" about learning real things about World of Tanks that will actually help you play better and make perfect sense at the same time. Other than that just blow through that poo poo and come back to it in another 1,000 games and realize it was actually not such a bad tank.

KaiserSchnitzel
Feb 23, 2003

Hellsau posted:

if by ridiculous, you mean ridiculously poorly armored and giant with a mediocre gun and mobility in exchange for 200 extra HP, yeah i guess

^^^^yup

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

KaiserSchnitzel posted:

This was the first tank Hellsau ever TKed me in.

You probably deserved it for playing World of Tanks. I was just trying to warn you away.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Hellsau posted:

You probably deserved it for playing World of Tanks. I was just trying to warn you away.

Careful, Hellsau - talkin' like that'll eventually get the WG White Knights and Never-Played-Clan-Wars players to tell you to play the game or :frogout:.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Careful, Hellsau - talkin' like that'll eventually get the WG White Knights and Never-Played-Clan-Wars players to tell you to play the game or :frogout:.

You mean the gainfully employed players of WGA and the people who made a good decision not to waste hundreds of hours doing pointless and aggravating clan wars stuff?

Also I'm 21/21 for my September tickets so far. I have not taken my own advice.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I'm not able to focus enough in game to be of any use which winds up making it take longer to finish daily doubles. Should I start taking the drugs and the booze?

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

RandomPauI posted:

I'm not able to focus enough in game to be of any use which winds up making it take longer to finish daily doubles. Should I start taking the drugs and the booze?
Have you considered an abusive relationship? Doesn't have to preclude the drugs and booze in any case.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Cartoon posted:

Have you considered an abusive relationship? Doesn't have to preclude the drugs and booze in any case.

A more abusive relationship than the one he already has with WoT?

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
A companion to it.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Cartoon posted:

A companion to it.

We might want to have a suicide helpline going in that case.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

just like most abusive relationships, it's difficult but rewarding to completely sever all ties with World of Tanks

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Hellsau posted:

You mean the gainfully employed players of WGA and the people who made a good decision not to waste hundreds of hours doing pointless and aggravating clan wars stuff?

Also I'm 21/21 for my September tickets so far. I have not taken my own advice.

No, I mean the few posters in here who occasionally get all hurf-blurf/GTFO about us bitching about a game that they play and enjoy casually, having never had to suffer through Clan Wars campaigns and the like.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Hellsau posted:

just like most abusive relationships, it's difficult but rewarding to completely sever all ties with World of Tanks
Like I did in 2012. But now I'm back and it's stressing me out to the point of affecting my sleeping :emo:

I just love panzers too much.

Zanziabar
Oct 31, 2010

5k damage? 1231 base xp?

No Zanz. gently caress you. You don't deserve a mastery class.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Dude the T-54's Ace requirement is ludicrously high due to its high capability of having ridiculous games. If I remember right, and this was two years ago so the requirement may be lower, but I didn't get an ace with 1430 base XP, and eventually got it with a 1500+ base xp game.

Presumably the requirement is much lower now that the tank has been nerfed a bit and there are other broken tanks, but the T-54 can do some dirty things to terrible players.

Creamed Cormp
Jan 8, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Just wait until you try to get the mastery badge for the T55A too. Now that's pain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zanziabar
Oct 31, 2010

Hellsau posted:

but the T-54 can do some dirty things to terrible players.
This is exactly my point. What kind of insane bullshit do you need to pull off to get a mastery in this tank?
On a slightly related note, I'm fairly certain I already have a mastery with the T-54 but outside of this tank, I can't think of any tanks outside the tier 9 & 10 Czech and the E5 (maybe?) that you wouldn't get a mastery with 5k damage.