Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

good lord

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

that new iphone sure is a piece of poo poo hey?

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

Perplx posted:

i'm predicting the next macbook will have 2 usb-c and and a lightning connector

macbook pro: godawful touchscreen strip replacing function-key row, painful macbook-style keyboard, 2 usb-c ports and absolutely nothing else, no discreet graphics options in any configuration, base configuration still 128GB

macbook: gets thunderbolt but still only 1 port. headphone port courageously removed

macbook air: :rip:

mac pro: :rip:

imac, mac mini: maybe a processor refresh but otherwise forgotten and unchanged for another year

the event these will be announced at will focus mostly on the apple tv

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

quote:

Can't post for 4167 days!

:allears: :allears: :allears:

nah thanks
Jun 18, 2004

Take me out.

SO DEMANDING posted:

apple keeps making terrible hardware decisions. software is still ok, there have been some mistakes and fuckups but then you look at what's going on with windows and android and hoo boy are things hosed up there. maybe android will magically improve a huge amount but then the hardware side of things is a mess and now google is going to completely screw up the entire nexus concept.

i don't know anymore man. the inevitable mac upgrades should be a hoot, at least

p much

I'd jump ship to android but lol android is bad, which is probably why Apple has been able to get away with making bad decisions lately

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

squidgee posted:

p much

I'd jump ship to android but lol android is bad, which is probably why Apple has been able to get away with making bad decisions lately

ive been half-assedly attempting to switch to osx but as of late im having doubts. everything sucks and i just gotta find what variety of suck i am comfortable embracing

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

SO DEMANDING posted:

ive been half-assedly attempting to switch to osx but as of late im having doubts. everything sucks and i just gotta find what variety of suck i am comfortable embracing

i bet after months of voting you're starting to come around to trump too because both candidates are bad! douche and a turd sandwich!

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

Jonny 290 posted:

i bet after months of voting you're starting to come around to trump too because both candidates are bad! douche and a turd sandwich!

make computers great again

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i wonder how much of this is fallout from the huge tech industry brain drain over the last ten years and the (i imagine) resultant hiring of incompetent people as companies scrape the bottom of the barrel

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
the airpods page claim 5 hours playing aac audio, i bet they buffer the files and listening to live audio lasts half as long

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

Perplx posted:

the airpods page claim 5 hours playing aac audio, i bet they buffer the files and listening to live audio lasts half as long

...uh

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Perplx posted:

interesting idea. i would like to hear more about how this works.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

Sagebrush posted:

interesting idea. i would like to hear more about how this works.

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
im just guessing, but they made a whole new soc for the airpod and it makes sense to save battery

madeupfred
Oct 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
whom's consumer geekaroid rear end do i need to kick, to get a gat-drat audio jack in my gat-drat iPhone? i'm gettin' pissed!

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
and what happens when somebody skips forward five seconds

madeupfred
Oct 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Black don't crack.

skeevy achievements
Feb 25, 2008

by merry exmarx

SO DEMANDING posted:

I was pretty happy with winders 10 until they pushed updates that turned on all sorts of sketchy poo poo I went out of my way to turn off like cortana and ads and poo poo

as usual apple isn't perfect but its still the best

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
there aren't any ads in windows 10.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
top headline on USA TOADY

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

uncurable mlady posted:

im getting the huge blacker than black one

i like the regular black one

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

Beeftweeter posted:

top headline on USA TOADY

the usa today

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

if i dehumanize and get one it will probably be matte because it won't scratch as much but who knows

gonna do the upgrade plan though because i'm not dropping 900 bucks on it at once

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
apple developed brand new earpods, with an accelerometer and infrared sensors. they got 5 hours of battery life and cost $159. the russians used a switch

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

uncurable mlady posted:

im getting the huge blacker than black one

just ask for the plus sized black model

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

atomicthumbs posted:

apple developed brand new earpods, with an accelerometer and infrared sensors. they got 5 hours of battery life and cost $159. the russians used a switch

loving lol. Please tell me they have some 3rd type of charging device they require so someone traveling with a iphone 7, new macbook, and airplugs needs 3 different chargers lollololol

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Jonny 290 posted:

and what happens when somebody skips forward five seconds

if it is like a lot of Bluetooth devices there is about a half second or so worth of FIFO buffer between the Bluetooth chipset and the DAC which makes for a noticeable delay before the skip comes around.

hopefully Apple has set up the AirBuds to clear the buffer and send a burst to refill it when any time-sensitive commands come through.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

maniacdevnull posted:

loving lol. Please tell me they have some 3rd type of charging device they require so someone traveling with a iphone 7, new macbook, and airplugs needs 3 different chargers lollololol

you have to use their special case to charge them. I assume the case itself charges through lightning port

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

Every device i own today charges with microusb or a thinkpad charger, and that includes my other, non-thinkpad laptop

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

maniacdevnull posted:

they come with a charging case with a lightning connector

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Shifty Pony posted:

if it is like a lot of Bluetooth devices there is about a half second or so worth of FIFO buffer between the Bluetooth chipset and the DAC which makes for a noticeable delay before the skip comes around.

hopefully Apple has set up the AirBuds to clear the buffer and send a burst to refill it when any time-sensitive commands come through.

hopefully both airbuds do this at the same speed

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

maniacdevnull posted:

Every device i own today charges with microusb or a thinkpad charger, and that includes my other, non-thinkpad laptop

every device u own today is also non apple trash

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Jonny 290 posted:

every device u own today is also non apple trash

even modern non-apple trash doesn't use microusb anymore

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

maniacdevnull posted:

They have five hours of battery life, and can only be charged by a small plastic box, which has its own battery that adds up to 24 hours of headphone battery life. That box can be charged with a Lightning port.

so you still can't listen to more than 24 hours of your phone's advertised 60-hour music listening without switching back to your Lightning earpods, which cannot be used with any non-iPhone device.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

flakeloaf posted:

hopefully both airbuds do this at the same speed

I wonder what happens if one of them runs out of power before the other

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

Endless Mike posted:

they come with a charging case with a lightning connector

oh cool, more poo poo for me to throw in my bag when i travel

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

also, they apparently don't use Bluetooth, but a special Apple bluetooth-like protocol using their W1 chip, in the manner of Logitech

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

atomicthumbs posted:

They have five hours of battery life, and can only be charged by a small plastic box, which has its own battery that adds up to 24 hours of headphone battery life. That box can be charged with a Lightning port.

so you still can't listen to more than 24 hours of your phone's advertised 60-hour music listening without switching back to your Lightning earpods, which cannot be used with any non-iPhone device.

this design choice makes the apple ipencil brand stylus look well thought out

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

atomicthumbs posted:

also, they apparently don't use Bluetooth, but a special Apple bluetooth-like protocol using their W1 chip, in the manner of Logitech

loving lol!

• Locked thread