Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine

CrazyTolradi posted:

Guardian of Gaia battle is made so much better when you remove that annoying, loud as loving music that ignores the Minecraft music setting.

It uses the music disc volume setting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Maiden posted:

Anything that uses the default crafting grid for crafting rather than their own special unique snowflake grid like a certain cooking mod is greatly benefitted from MFR's liquicrafter, which runs on a redstone clock for crafting actions, so makes it easier to automate things that need milk, water, so on.

As for crafting that doesn't need liquids, all the brainless auto crafting things are all basically versions of TE's cyclic assembler, take power and recipie and make it every so often, some of them have multiple slots so you can use it for more than one thing. If you're not going to go nuts with things like computercraft, I'd suggest using TE's fetching servers, which you can add limits to how much it'll fetch, so your system will never clog.

Does MFR sill have the problem where having more than one of its machines in a chunk kills your framerate? I had to swap to RFTools crafters in Ferret Business because of that.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

bbcisdabomb posted:

Does MFR sill have the problem where having more than one of its machines in a chunk kills your framerate? I had to swap to RFTools crafters in Ferret Business because of that.

Just planters/harvesters have that issue. Sewers can if their effective radii overlap. I don't know if those issues still apply, but they're easy enough to work around, regardless.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
Is that why all of my maps degenerate soon after I start to automate?
Because I use MFR extensively. And tend to stack farms in one chunk to keep less chunks loaded.

Speaking of, as my 2nd tier power gen I usually use a tree farm using the saplings in a forestry fermenter/still for ethanol and wood/charcoal into steam dynamos. But I seem to be getting jack for saplings this go. Anyone have a good layout for a tree farm? I am thinking either 2x2 dirt/slab squares or 2 dirt/2 slab rows might work.
For next time.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

chairface posted:

Just planters/harvesters have that issue. Sewers can if their effective radii overlap. I don't know if those issues still apply, but they're easy enough to work around, regardless.

That's good to know, and is probably why everything started running better when I switched from 6x harvesters to 1x upgraded one.

OgNar posted:

Is that why all of my maps degenerate soon after I start to automate?
Because I use MFR extensively. And tend to stack farms in one chunk to keep less chunks loaded.

Speaking of, as my 2nd tier power gen I usually use a tree farm using the saplings in a forestry fermenter/still for ethanol and wood/charcoal into steam dynamos. But I seem to be getting jack for saplings this go. Anyone have a good layout for a tree farm? I am thinking either 2x2 dirt/slab squares or 2 dirt/2 slab rows might work.
For next time.

It's not a tree farm, but running a stuffed eggplant farm with 8x culinary generators was enough to get me by to Immersive Engineering crazy power gen.

e. If I was to redesign my culinary generator setup I'd use two upgraded harvesters sharing the same pipe, but seperated by a chunk boundry, like:

[f][h][d]|[h][f]
([f]=farmland, however much you need [h]=harvester [d]=duct of whatever kind you want |=chunk boundry

A gold upgrade in each should give you as many ingradients as you need.

Ignore me if you've done this before or you don't have HarvestCraft/ExUtilities.

double and also fake e. Do mega-rubber trees drop mega-rubber saplings? They would keep a harvester running for quite a while each and provide a shitload of saplings.

bbcisdabomb fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Sep 7, 2016

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

So this is going to be a fairly niche question, but I figure it's worth a shot: with Spigot usable and Runecraft updated to support 1.10, I've been experimenting with a local Runecraft server. It's working great and was quite easy to set up, but I'm having an issue with the Pegasus rune: going up with it kills you.

Specifically, what happens is that when you activate it, it teleports the island in layers from the top down. This means it teleports you upwards before it teleports the ground you're standing on, and you fall before the next layer gets teleported. If you're teleporting up far enough, the fall down to the layers that haven't ported yet kills you. If you aren't, you land on the lower layers, then they get teleported out from under you and you fall to the ground and die.

This definitely didn't happen last time I played runecraft, but that was back in the 1.2.5 days.

Anyone else seen this happen? Know of any fixes or workarounds?

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

bbcisdabomb posted:

That's good to know, and is probably why everything started running better when I switched from 6x harvesters to 1x upgraded one.

It's not a tree farm, but running a stuffed eggplant farm with 8x culinary generators was enough to get me by to Immersive Engineering crazy power gen.

e. If I was to redesign my culinary generator setup I'd use two upgraded harvesters sharing the same pipe, but seperated by a chunk boundry, like:

[f][h][d]|[h][f]
([f]=farmland, however much you need [h]=harvester [d]=duct of whatever kind you want |=chunk boundry

A gold upgrade in each should give you as many ingradients as you need.

Ignore me if you've done this before or you don't have HarvestCraft/ExUtilities.

double and also fake e. Do mega-rubber trees drop mega-rubber saplings? They would keep a harvester running for quite a while each and provide a shitload of saplings.

I dont use harvestcraft so I never really used the culinary.
Mega rubber trees do not drop mega saplings, Just shitloads of normal ones.
Also on this world I have 2 attempts with the mega tree and a Tinkers lumber axe. Only took about 1/2 the tree. Now I have shitloads of sky blocked out and no patience to finish chopping.
never even thought about using the harvester on it until it was 1/2 gone now it doesnt work.
I also found a sacred rubber tree sapling. Which I was smart enough to google before planting that fucker and screwing up the entire world.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
I heard the sacred rubber tree exists only as a sort of overkill test for the harvester. I've no idea if harvesters can actually pull it off, but I've never had a harvester accidentally leave so much as a leaf block in my normal tree farms. Those buggers are thorough.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Didn't we have a guy post in here about planting one of those, then had a Harvester working on it for hours and it was nowhere near finished?

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Sacred rubber trees are multiple orders of magnitude (even several, maybe) bigger than even mega rubber trees, which are already unholy big. Back your save up before you plant one (they're worth planting once, as long as you can revert the save, because they are quite spectacular).

I'd enjoy doing an Yggdrasil project with a sacred sapling and housing the entire populace of a small server in it.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

Sage Grimm posted:

Didn't we have a guy post in here about planting one of those, then had a Harvester working on it for hours and it was nowhere near finished?

Picture at the bottom of this post of the dent the harvester had made.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3561897&pagenumber=126&perpage=40#post425675046

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH
I always figured sacred rubber trees were a joke debug item that power crystals was going to remove, only he disappeared before he put out a version removing them. Skyboy and the other maintainers are probably just against removing anything that was in the mod for so long, even something as detrimental as sacred rubbers.

I miss power crystals. He was a fun guy in the modding scene and his MCF threads were always super laid-back. Plus he would have fixed the multiple harvester bugs in like a day, tops :sigh:

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

That's awesome. I love MFR, it's one of my favorite mods.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Ohh, its the harvesters and planters that cause bad issues.

Is that in tandem? I currently have 2 harvesters in a chunk with no planters (agricraft) and there doesnt seem to be an issue. If there is i will have to move my top level farm.

I planted a sacred rubber tree on a skyfactory game and it ate my base :/

I'm currently playing Project Ozone (or something) and there is a large section of immersive engeneering. Thing is, it's just 'build this' heres a reward, 'if you want instructions look at the book'. So it's not helpful at all.

Are the power options worthwhile? Ive set aside a large section of land where i was going to dabble, but then i got my tier 2 culinary generator up up.... well that solves my power for now.

Last question for now, Chance cubes.
in particular when you get one that spawns Kiwi (the wither) how do you get it to stay around and fight?

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Immersive Engineering power gen is pretty. It has the right idea in making much of it multi-block. I suspect waterwheels and windmills will provide enough power for the early to mid game for relatively cheap materials but I haven't played with anything more complex yet because I burned out on the modpack with it.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

Sage Grimm posted:

Immersive Engineering power gen is pretty. It has the right idea in making much of it multi-block. I suspect waterwheels and windmills will provide enough power for the early to mid game for relatively cheap materials but I haven't played with anything more complex yet because I burned out on the modpack with it.

IIRC IE has the water/windmills and another power source that I can't recall the name of (used lava around it to generate passive power) in the early game, but has no mid game power gen, it's either passive low RF stuff or the diesel generator (4kRF).

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

CrazyTolradi posted:

IIRC IE has the water/windmills and another power source that I can't recall the name of (used lava around it to generate passive power) in the early game, but has no mid game power gen, it's either passive low RF stuff or the diesel generator (4kRF).

Thermoelectric. Which is pretty good if you set them up between ice and blutonium (apparently a blutonium block is loving HOT).

Other than that, yeah, there's no mid-tier until you get diesel, but waterwheel runs can look pretty cool, and Thermoelectrics are rather compact. Honestly I like their earlier stuff better. When you get into high tier you get the Arc Furnace which uses a fuckton of resources to smelt poo poo in addition to power (you have to make the carbon rods), and if you work from refined materials/crushed powders you have the Smeltery alloy issue but if you work straight from ore it shuts down every 64 smelts due to slag in the furnace.

Looks rad as hell though.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

I sat down recently and did testing on the Thermoelectric with both lava/water and cryo/pyro.
lava/water on 2 sides 15RF, 2lava/2water 30RF
cryo/pyro 2 sides 30RF and 2cryo/2pyro 60RF.

Decent enough but you really have to have a lot to do anything.

I will have to try the Blutonium next.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

Alkydere posted:

Looks rad as hell though.
That's what I love most about IE the most, the aesthetic it goes for is done really well and the way the multiblock structures work is a really great feature. I know it's been done by a dozen or so mods now, but I'd really love to see an IE take on steam boilers and turbines. I think that'd make a decent mid-late game power and gives more options other than spamming passive generators or having a more complicated setup to fuel a diesel generator.

That excavator though, so well done.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Does anyone know of any way to automatically load bait into a Pam's Harvestcraft animal or fish trap? I can't seem to do it. Steve's factory Manager won't, EnderIO conduits won't, mekanism ducts won't, Thermal Dynamics pipes won't. It's loving stupid that I can pull the meat and feather and poo poo out of the output of the trap, but I can't load the bait automatically.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

CrazyTolradi posted:

That's what I love most about IE the most, the aesthetic it goes for is done really well and the way the multiblock structures work is a really great feature. I know it's been done by a dozen or so mods now, but I'd really love to see an IE take on steam boilers and turbines. I think that'd make a decent mid-late game power and gives more options other than spamming passive generators or having a more complicated setup to fuel a diesel generator.

That excavator though, so well done.

Yeah, it's all well done asthetically. And I don't mind it being a alloy-maker. I just wish the arc furnace wasn't such a special snowflake. You have to:
-find an uncraftable recipe for the graphite electrodes in a dungeon chest (or get a mod to give you one)
-Use a fuckton of coke to make the electrodes in a squeezer
-replace the electrodes every so often because they wear out (so you're STILL using coal to run this thing no matter where you get your power)
-Either check it every so often to remove the slag manually or set it up so it doesn't create alloys if you don't want it to, creating a pile of micromanagement and generally getting in the way of automation.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

neogeo0823 posted:

Does anyone know of any way to automatically load bait into a Pam's Harvestcraft animal or fish trap? I can't seem to do it. Steve's factory Manager won't, EnderIO conduits won't, mekanism ducts won't, Thermal Dynamics pipes won't. It's loving stupid that I can pull the meat and feather and poo poo out of the output of the trap, but I can't load the bait automatically.

Haven't tried personally but have you tried a hopper?

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

chairface posted:

Haven't tried personally but have you tried a hopper?

Yes, actually. Me and another couple people just got done trying everything we could think of. Hoppers, EIO conduits, SFM's inventory cables, thaumcraft golems, Mek ducts, TD pipes, and even both botania's corporea network and red string. Where possible, we tried to connect to all sides of the trap. Nothing worked. The closest we got was with red string, which piped the bait into the output slot of the traps, and not the input slot. The thaumcraft golem grabbed the bait and sauntered over to the trap and just sat there, staring at it, all sad and dejected that he couldn't figure it out. At this point, I'm more of the mindset that these things were specifically designed to not be automated in any way. I can't think of any other reason that the input slot wouldn't accept automatic inputs.

EDIT: Oho, what have we here? Seems it is indeed intended behavior, which makes it extra god drat loving lovely. And now I'm kinda pissed off because there's no other way to get the unique meats and fish for this mod unless I cheese them in with EMC values for ProjectE or some poo poo.

neogeo0823 fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Sep 8, 2016

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

bbcisdabomb posted:

I always figured sacred rubber trees were a joke debug item that power crystals was going to remove, only he disappeared before he put out a version removing them. Skyboy and the other maintainers are probably just against removing anything that was in the mod for so long, even something as detrimental as sacred rubbers.

I miss power crystals. He was a fun guy in the modding scene and his MCF threads were always super laid-back. Plus he would have fixed the multiple harvester bugs in like a day, tops :sigh:

Hi I was pointed at this post by a friend who still reads this thread and no I didn't die despite mother nature's best attempts to save the world from my sense of humor, I just stopped caring about Minecraft. I even still lurk SA regularly, just not here. I instead dedicated my multifacted lack of talents to making mod tools for Wargame because I am still mostly insane though I suspect there is nearly zero crossover between this thread and that game aside from myself and said friend. I sincerely appreciate the kind words and I'm glad people still use and enjoy my silly mod! But mostly I just wanted to say that I had no part of the sacred tree nonsense. The final act I had for MFR was suggesting the dynamite fishing rod to skyboy after I "retired". I have no idea where those trees came from. That's too un-subtle to be one my ideas anyway. My jokes were either a very long form troll ala the entire meat system which is horrifying yet (at the time at least) necessary to use the laser drill thing or subtly shaming the player with the chronotyper making your baby animals stare forlornly at their parent.

Also I think skyboy's actually a better programmer than I am, at least at java specifically. Most of his initial PRs were fixing horrible performance issues and he blew my mind with the classloader stuff he did to fix... something about horses, I think. That was like 3 years ago I don't remember what it was except that my reaction was "holy poo poo you did what?".

I doubt I'll stick around much beyond this driveby (preemptive no I will not get on IRC or discord or whatever you cool kids use this week) but if for some crazy reason you want to contact me after I inevitably disappear again I do have PMs and I'm around regularly enough to read them.

I sometimes wonder what Feanorith (author of the original Minefactory that I started out just porting from beta 1.4/1.5 to beta 1.6? 1.7? I forget) would have to say about all this. That guy probably forgot he even made such a thing.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
You might be off before you see it, but:

power crystals posted:

My jokes were either a very long form troll ala the entire meat system which is horrifying yet (at the time at least) necessary to use the laser drill thing or subtly shaming the player with the chronotyper making your baby animals stare forlornly at their parent.

I wanted to say that BFSR has a quest line with this on the way to the laser drill, and some people assume by that "Baby's First Space Race" is a tutorial pack suitable for little kids. Hence, there is a strong chance a 4-year-old was compelled with the help of their parents to go through this.

Now, that is just speculation, but you did Nether Ores too right? BFSR upped their generation too and despite tweaking the rate, it turns The Nether into a perpetual burning and exploding hellhole like the giant coal fire burning under Centralia, Pennsylvania. lolmer posted in here that his kids went in and started crying.

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I wanted to say that BFSR has a quest line with this on the way to the laser drill, and some people assume by that "Baby's First Space Race" is a tutorial pack suitable for little kids. Hence, there is a strong chance a 4-year-old was compelled with the help of their parents to go through this.

Now, that is just speculation, but you did Nether Ores too right? BFSR upped their generation too and despite tweaking the rate, it turns The Nether into a perpetual burning and exploding hellhole like the giant coal fire burning under Centralia, Pennsylvania. lolmer posted in here that his kids went in and started crying.

Yeah, Nether Ores was me as well. When people first discovered hellfish the reactions they had made me happier than you could possibly imagine. Combined with what you said above everything was so totally worth it you have no idea.

Brovine
Dec 24, 2011

Mooooo?

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

it turns The Nether into a perpetual burning and exploding hellhole like the giant coal fire burning under Centralia, Pennsylvania.

I have to say, I love mining in BFSR's Nether because of these chain reactions. It's gloriously disastrous.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Well I'm at least happy you're still around, even though you've moved on to other things. I had no idea the animals staring at their parents was intentional, I thought it was just normal Minecraft behavior. That's pretty awesome. Is it better or worse if I have the parents automatically fed into a slaughterhouse afterwards? :v:

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

OgNar posted:

I sat down recently and did testing on the Thermoelectric with both lava/water and cryo/pyro.
lava/water on 2 sides 15RF, 2lava/2water 30RF
cryo/pyro 2 sides 30RF and 2cryo/2pyro 60RF.

Decent enough but you really have to have a lot to do anything.

I will have to try the Blutonium next.

Water + Lava = 15 rf/t
Normal/Packed Ice + Lava = 16 rf/t
Yellorium + Lava = 13 rf/t
Blutonium + Lava = 25 rf/t
Cryotheum + Lava = 17 rf/t
Water/Ice + Pyrotheum = 30 rf/t (turns water/ice into stone after a while
Packed Ice + Pyrotheum = 30 rf/t
Yellorium + Pyrotheum = 22 rf/t
Blutonium + Pyrotheum = 0 rf/t
Cryotheum + Pyrotheum = 31 rf/t
Ice/Water + Yellorium = 20 rf/t
Packed Ice + Yellorium = 21 rf/t
Cryotheum + Yellorium = 22 rf/t
Ice/Packed Ice/Water + Blutonium = 30 rf/t
Cryotheum + Blutonium = 31 rf/t
Ludicrite didn't count as coolant

That's per "set" of heat/coolant, so you can have two sets per thermoelectric.

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

bbcisdabomb posted:

Well I'm at least happy you're still around, even though you've moved on to other things. I had no idea the animals staring at their parents was intentional, I thought it was just normal Minecraft behavior. That's pretty awesome. Is it better or worse if I have the parents automatically fed into a slaughterhouse afterwards? :v:

Yes and no, it was default behavior that I could have easily cancelled (iirc there was just a parent reference that I just had to set to null) but I explicitly didn't because I wanted the player to feel bad for what they were doing.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

You might be off before you see it, but:

This is one of my favorite things in BFSR. First time I went into the Nether I just about poo poo a brick at the minute long chain reaction of continuous explosions.

Maiden
Mar 18, 2008

power crystals posted:

Yes and no, it was default behavior that I could have easily cancelled (iirc there was just a parent reference that I just had to set to null) but I explicitly didn't because I wanted the player to feel bad for what they were doing.

I never ever felt bad

Cryohazard
Feb 5, 2010
Does anyone know what happens if you let Pyrotheum run into Cryotheum?

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

Cryohazard posted:

Does anyone know what happens if you let Pyrotheum run into Cryotheum?

Great name/post combo.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

Jalapeno ice cream.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Freezerburn. No, wait, :iceburn:

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Maiden posted:

I never ever felt bad

The average goon is probably not the target audience if the goal was to make the player feel empathy :v:

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

Maiden posted:

I never ever felt bad

Nuclearmonkee posted:

The average goon is probably not the target audience if the goal was to make the player feel empathy :v:

Whether the above means I succeeded or failed in my intentions is an exercise for the reader. Or uh, player in this case I guess.

Blind Duke
Nov 8, 2013
I was going to rend the pigs and thousands of their brethren to create blocks of meat for my gross-rear end wizard spaceship, if they didn't have forlorn looks of horror I would be worried I didn't have proper pigs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Im playing project ozone 2.

It has mrf and ranchable fluid cows. But the rancher doesnt milk the cows. Is there something missing in the configs or something? It's the first thing that's actually really annoyed me in this pack.